Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,849 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:26 AM

Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria (44589 Views)

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output / Top 20 Universities With Most Employed Graduates In Nigeria (list) / Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:30am On Apr 21, 2018
missterious:

Lol. Maybe he had other issues. It should be 2 years

He didn't. Find out about the English Department there. Infact, my friend is the only one to have graduated from his set.

Let me assume that this doesn't happen in every department.
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Margy: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2018
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Margy: 9:34am On Apr 21, 2018
Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka...
Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by uwa244(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2018
bigpicture001:
go to national open university for post graduate masters..its as fast as a bullet!!!!
A fact. I think its the fastest.
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2018
Margy:
Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka...
Thank me later

Depends on department. Its not a general thing there.

Op: you have to do a thorough research, not only on the school you choose, but also on the department and faculty.
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Crixina(f): 9:41am On Apr 21, 2018
One thing you have to understand Op is that what works for one may not work for another.

Take OAU for instance, that place is probably the worst...like if worst had a worst, but I have also seen people who have completed their programme in four semesters...18months tops
There are a lot of factors to that
1. A good supervisor that's ready to work with you

2. If you can handle the administrative bureaucracy which will mean you getting your act together and on time, because sometimes even if you finish your shiit on time...some administrative wahala will find a way of keeping you, which brings me to number 3

3. The YOU factor, let's face it, some students are damn lazy(in Bubu's voice) some just travel for an entire semester, then reappear one day and just expect everything to go smoothly.

So as much as the university counts, but other factors also come into play, which doesn't make one better than the other.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Mires: 9:41am On Apr 21, 2018
fratermathy:
@op:

AVOID UNIUYO AND UNICAL AT ALL COSTS!

Those schools will keep you there as if you are a secondary school student. Only a few students break the tradition and graduate in 2 or 3 years. Others finish as from 4 years and above for Masters.

When you are even done, the PG school will delay you for another 6months + in the name of vetting (uniuyo). Its a terrible situation. There's even an article by a current student on it. Just Google "the woes of uniuyo PG students".

This is not true. I have a colleague at MSc level who proceeded to Uniuyo for PhD. He spent three years on the dot. Those of us at Ui were like wow. I also have friends during MSc at Ui who were during MSc at Zoology and MCB. They both proceeded to Unical to do their PhD. To them, they can't do their PhD at Ui because of the insults PG students earned. They both spent three years in PhD. One of them has been absorbed by Unical as lecturer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:41am On Apr 21, 2018
DaBillionnaire:
why is nobody mentioning OAU undecided

OAU should close down its PG school until they learn how it should be run.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:42am On Apr 21, 2018
Mires:

This is not true. I have a colleague at MSc level who proceeded to Uniuyo for PhD. He spent three years on the dot. Those of us at Ui were like wow. I also have friends during MSc at Ui who were during MSc at Zoology and MCB. They both proceeded to Unical to do their PhD. To them, they can't do their PhD at Ui because of the insults PG students earned. They both spent three years in PhD. One of them has been absorbed by Unical as lecturer.

I'm telling you what's going on here as one who's in the system and you are relying on anecdotal tales. Wow.

I won't even try and convince anyone. Please come to UNIUYO or UNICAL. A trial will convince you! grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Mires: 9:46am On Apr 21, 2018
uwa244:
A fact. I think its the fastest.

MSc and PhD from NOUN. Toeing Baba Iyabo path.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:47am On Apr 21, 2018
Crixina:
One thing you have to understand Op is that what works for one may not work for another.

Take OAU for instance, that place is probably the worst...like if worst had a worst, but I have also seen people who have completed their programme in four semesters...18months tops
There are a lot of factors to that
1. A good supervisor that's ready to work with you

2. If you can handle the administrative bureaucracy which will mean you getting your act together and on time, because sometimes even if you finish your shiit on time...some administrative wahala will find a way of keeping you, which brings me to number 3

3. The YOU factor, let's face it, some students are damn lazy(in Bubu's voice) some just travel for an entire semester, then reappear one day and just expect everything to go smoothly.

So as much as the university counts, but other factors also come into play, which doesn't make one better than the other.

I concur. This is the reality. What works for one won't work for another.

In the best of school, people are delayed and in the worst of schools, people finish as and when due.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Mires: 9:49am On Apr 21, 2018
fratermathy:

I'm telling you what's going on here as one who's in the system and you are relying on anecdotal tales. Wow.

I won't even try and convince anyone. Please come to UNIUYO or UNICAL. A trial will convince you! grin

Bro, I am also saying it authoritatively. Since you are at Uniuyo, i can give you the guy's contact given that he lectures in one of the departments there. You can ask him what's the secret. He holds BSc First Class (Uyo), MSc PhD Grade (Ibadan), PhD (Uyo)

For most universities especially at South East and South South unlike what is obtainable at South West, MSc and PhD completion is based on individual student's input. Hence, while some students can finished MSc in one year, some are likely to finished in five years.

I could remember completing mine in less than 18 months but somehow was disappointed when the department said our results cannot be forwarded to PG school because we are few. Hence, we should patiently wait for our colleagues which we did as brotherhood.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 9:53am On Apr 21, 2018
Mires:

Bro, I am also saying it authoritatively. Since you are at Uniuyo, i can give you the guy's contact given that he lectures in one of the departments there. You can ask him what's the secret. He holds BSc First Class (Uyo), MSc PhD Grade (Ibadan), PhD (Uyo)

I'm not saying there are no exceptions. Of course there are. I, myself, am an exception to what normally obtains here. The issue is that exceptions are not the norm. Uniuyo delays students, period. How do they do it?

1. Bad supervisors (many of them)
2. Lazy supervisors
3. Independent departments
4. PG school bureaucracies
5. Delays in administrative tasks
Etc etc

These things, one may argue, are found everywhere but in Uniuyo, they've been home-grown and are now the norm.
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Godsknight(m): 9:54am On Apr 21, 2018
kennyoyeson:
M.Sc. Microbiology in Unilorin is within 20 months. I learnt Unilag is faster. However, for quite a lot of schools, their 18months is just scam. You'll end up spending 2-3 years.
to study Msc microbiology in uniben is maximum of 18 months

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Welrez(m): 9:54am On Apr 21, 2018
fratermathy:
@op:

AVOID UNIUYO AND UNICAL AT ALL COSTS!

Those schools will keep you there as if you are a secondary school student. Only a few students break the tradition and graduate in 2 or 3 years. Others finish as from 4 years and above for Masters.

When you are even done, the PG school will delay you for another 6months + in the name of vetting (uniuyo). Its a terrible situation. There's even an article by a current student on it. Just Google "the woes of uniuyo PG students".
Baba, you are quite on point. I have a colleague who has been doing her masters in theatre arts since 2014 who is yet to round off. I still have another doing his own in insurance since 2015 and is nowhere close to completing his programme. From investigation I have done, it seems that Uniuyo is undermanned. Also, the series of vettings right from the department up to postgraduate school lead to a lot of delays. The wickedness of supervisors is another major contributor.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Sllime: 9:57am On Apr 21, 2018
Msc Microbiology will cost you at least a million and above both in fees and research work. Why do you want to do masters?
1. Do you want to learn more and add to your academic qualification
2. Do you want to increase your chances of getting employed

If 1 is the reason, just don't waste your time because you will realise you learnt little or nothing. You will end up sending samples abroad for analysis during your research work and will never know how these analysis was done. Trust me you will pay a lot and only get results sent back to you in weeks. Except you want to travel out to do your masters.

If 2 don't waste your time either. It's better you invest that money in a skill you are passionate about. If you don't have any skills use a year to learn one skill or business. Source materials online esp youtube and bring in your creativity in it. No 2 was my reason for doing masters after not seeing a gainful employment. I was getting offers around 10 to 30k. With the M.sc nothing changed. I was even asked to remove the M.sc in my cv at some point because it limits my chances of even getting employed.

Back to your question, I did mine in UI and the school is very strict with time. 18months and you will be sent out of the lab. Ilorin too is strict cos I had colleagues that did theirs in the school.

2 Likes

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 10:01am On Apr 21, 2018
Welrez:
Baba, you are quite on point. I have a colleague who has been doing her masters in theatre arts since 2014 who is yet to round off. I still have another doing his own in insurance since 2015 and is nowhere close to completing his programme. From investigation I have done, it seems that Uniuyo is undermanned. Also, the series of vettings right from the department up to postgraduate school lead to a lot of delays. The wickedness of supervisors is another major contributor.

Cc: Mires

Uniuyo operates on another level entirely. Never before have I seen a PG school that actively tries to keep students boxed in the system, even after they manage to escape their departments. It's true that many departments are also understaffed. The VC has not done any official employment since he came in.

After struggling to do external defence at UNIUYO, the PG school will start their issues with preliminary vetting by the secretary to the Dean and after her "wahala", there is the official first vetting which takes as long as 6months in some cases. After first vetting, there is a second vetting of similar length and only after that will the student be allowed to bind their works for final submission.

Just tell me which other school in Nigeria or even in the world at large does this.

2 Likes

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Godsknight(m): 10:02am On Apr 21, 2018
Daree88:
I learnt UI and UNIBEN have fast postgraduate programmes also. ?
not all depts in uniben. Minimum duration for Msc in business administration(uniben) is four years. Some spent six to seven yrs to do Msc in that dept .

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by SaintCaleb: 10:05am On Apr 21, 2018
Daree88:
Good afternoon nairalanders. Please, I need information on the universities with the fastest M. Sc programmes in Nigeria. I major in the Microbiology field. I would appreciate useful info, please. Can this be pushed to front page, please?
NDA Kaduna

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 10:06am On Apr 21, 2018
SaintCaleb:

NDA Kaduna

I concur.! This school has military discipline and things move fast.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by treasuredm(f): 10:07am On Apr 21, 2018
missterious:

Lol. Maybe he had other issues. It should be 2 years
It should be.. but you can hardly find someone who finished in 2 years. All my friends that started got discouraged at the end. some even quit because it was taking forever
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 21, 2018
tlops:
UI is not fast o. The post graduate school closes during strikes.
na postgraduate werin? Don't confuse thing here.. In ui, you're guaranteed minimum of 3semesters and maximum of 5 semesters, except d person had less thann2'2... After which one loses his or her studentship....strike na normal thing na shooo. If nasu strike, postgraduate school staff no he nasu staff, abi if ASUU strike , no be ui lecturers dey teach postgraduate students neh

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by senatorobi(m): 10:14am On Apr 21, 2018
Uniport is fast. It depends on how serious you are.
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 21, 2018
treasuredm:

It should be.. but you can hardly find someone who finished in 2 years. All my friends that started got discouraged at the end. some even quit because it was taking forever
my sister, I spent exactly two years in ui. And many of my friends in comp science, chemistry,physics,geography, stats,English,cla finished 7 months before me. That is, the spent exactly 19 montue..1yr '5months... Although, some departments are traditionally slow in running their course, whilebsome choose to be fast. Since postgraduate studies in ui are run independently by departments. That's school calender no dey work for Pg. So all u need to do is find out before applying about the particular department you're applying to on how they run it before ubget stuck. That's the simple trick. But I can guarantee u there are departments people use 2 semesters and roundup vwithout kickbacks...its about knowing the tradition of your department. DM for further infor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Zabilon007(m): 10:18am On Apr 21, 2018
Nigerian Defence Academy. (NDA)
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Nigeriadondie: 10:23am On Apr 21, 2018
fratermathy:

I'm not saying there are no exceptions. Of course there are. I, myself, am an exception to what normally obtains here. The issue is that exceptions are not the norm. Uniuyo delays students, period. How do they do it?

1. Bad supervisors (many of them)
2. Lazy supervisors
3. Independent departments
4. PG school bureaucracies
5. Delays in administrative tasks
Etc etc

These things, one may argue, are found everywhere but in Uniuyo, they've been home-grown and are now the norm.
No stress yourself convincing anyone doubting you.
Here is a link they can refer to.
https://www.nairaland.com/4245180/many-woes-postgraduate-students-university

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 21, 2018
Daree88:
Good afternoon nairalanders. Please, I need information on the universities with the fastest M. Sc programmes in Nigeria. I major in the Microbiology field. I would appreciate useful info, please. Can this be pushed to front page, please?
3semesters in ui if you're not working with a private firm or under ajimobi... That's the truth. If u have a job that doesn't afford u minimal commitment and concentration on your course, you go tey
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 10:23am On Apr 21, 2018
senatorobi:
Uniport is fast. It depends on how serious you are.

Say what?

AVOID UNIPORT, I repeat, AVOID UNIPORT. If you have excess money to spare, then you can go there. UNIPORT is for deep pocketed people.

1 Like

Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Annnonymous: 10:25am On Apr 21, 2018
zynellsmum:
You should try national open university. it’s fast am considering applying there for MSc

See you there next year kiss kiss kiss
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by Kennedy767(m): 10:32am On Apr 21, 2018
zynellsmum:
You should try national open university. it’s fast am considering applying there for MSc
they offer MSC in few commercial & management courses,no science courses
Re: Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 10:32am On Apr 21, 2018
Mires:

For most universities especially at South East and South South unlike what is obtainable at South West, MSc and PhD completion is based on individual student's input. Hence, while some students can finished MSc in one year, some are likely to finished in five years.

I could remember completing mine in less than 18 months but somehow was disappointed when the department said our results cannot be forwarded to PG school because we are few. Hence, we should patiently wait for our colleagues which we did as brotherhood.

In UNIUYO, even if you are a studious genius, the system will find a way of catching up with you. Good students can be frustrated by lazy supervisors, as you may know. Good students and even good supervisors can be frustrated by bureaucratic hoops in the system and Uniuyo has many of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students / Maths Teacher On His Way To Class For Double Period Lesson. / Ikelebe Junior Secondary School Floors Others In Edo North To Win ASCI Inter Sch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.