Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,495 members, 7,801,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Unity Convention Doesn’t Amount To Unity In NANS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unity Convention Doesn’t Amount To Unity In NANS (241 Views)

How Bukola Saraki Made Kwara A Model For National Unity In Nigeria / IPOB Is A Threat To Unity, Herdsmen Is Not, Lai Mohammed Tells BBC - FFK Reacts / Inec's Inability To Conduct Fair Elections Is The Biggest Threat To Unity - Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unity Convention Doesn’t Amount To Unity In NANS by mrrights: 5:37pm On Apr 20, 2018
Unity convention doesn’t amount to unity in NANS
By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Will NANS ever be united? This is not a question; it is a challenge to those presently leading NANS and those that may likely lead it in the future. Will you ever make NANS truly united?

After reading that Chinonso Obasi and Aruna Kadiri have agreed to host a unity convention for the upcoming NANS election, I can’t but ponder about similar incident that happened some years back.

Just few years ago, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) was factionalized. Comrade Imagwe Jude and Comrade Ini Ememobong both lay claim to the NANS presidency.

After their tenure expired, well meaning comrades and stakeholders advocated for the need to have a united NANS and a unity convention was held, that produced Yinka Gbadebo.

After Yinka Gbadebo emerged as NANS President, it was assumed that unity has finally returned to NANS and that the unity would be sustained to make NANS a strong and vibrant students body that would be able to defend the right of the Nigerian Students. However, after Comrade Tijani Usman Shehu took over the mantle of leadership, he was unable to hand over a united NANS that he inherited. NANS was once again divided.

I have come to observe something lately. Any year the candidate of those who regard themselves as power that be in NANS failed to emerge, they factionalize the organization to continue their business. To them, NANS is a business that must put food on their table and only their anointed candidate can guarantee that meal.

As another NANS election draw closer, aspirants such as Amb S A Lukman, Comrade Odunjo Adio and others have once again succeeded in impressing the need for unity on the leadership and a unity convention has been approved for 3rd, 4th and 5th May 2018.

While I wish NANS a successful convention, I wish to draw our attention to the unimaginable damage division within NANS is causing the Nigerian Students.

Apart from the fact that NANS as an organization has been discredit in public eyes, apart from the fact that Nigerian students no longer regard the body as their representatives, apart from the fact that NANS has been commercialized largely to the highest bidder, what is left of NANS is also being derided by division. How can NANS attempt to restore its dignity when the house is divided against itself?

Dear Comrades, what I am saying is very simple. Let this be the last time NANS will ever be divided. Hosting a unity convention doesn’t amount to unity in NANS, staying together united should be the ultimate target.

But if I may ask, how can NANS stay united? It’s by doing away with vested interest that has contributed largely to rendering NANS almost useless to Nigerian students.
How can NANS stay united, It is by being sincere enough to conduct free and fair election that even those who loose may feel justified.

How can NANS truly stay united? It is by returning to campus and regaining the confidence of the Nigerian students.

https://mrrightsng..com.ng/2018/04/unity-convention-doesnt-amount-to-unity.html
Re: Unity Convention Doesn’t Amount To Unity In NANS by mrrights: 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2018
wink

(1) (Reply)

Who Are You Voting For This Coming Osun Gubernatorial Election / APC Governor Endorse Buhari / World Press Freedom Day: Obaseki Charges Journalists On Ethics, Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.