Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,784 members, 7,806,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

How Can I Evict A Flatmate? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Evict A Flatmate? (16945 Views)

Urgent Help Needed To Evict Stubborn Tenant!!!!!!!! / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / How Do I Evict A Mentally Unstable Tenant From My Shop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 10:31pm On Apr 21, 2018
Okay, so I got a 3bd flat I am renting, but decided to sublet 2 of the spare rooms as I don't really need the space yet and also that it should help to bring down the overhead.

problem now is, the tenants are not paying for anything. Not even rent or Nepa or other utilities and I have been the one taking care of the costs up till now.

I just finished paying the rent to the landlord 2 months ago, and the sublet has also expired. I wrote them a note late last year indicating that I will not be renewing their sublet for this year.

Now, I got a lawyer to serve them a notice to quit last month and the notice is meant to run for a month. as I am here now, it doesn't look like they are even bothered about the notice.

one of them actually locked up the room since January and has not been available to pick up the quit notice, he does not pick my calls nor answer my messages. Even the ones sent on FB which indicates he has seen them do not also get a reply.

The Lawyer in question also seems to be a busy man and was supposed to be around last week to brief me but I don't seem to get ahold of him that much.

As we know, we Nigerians can be very devious and unscrupulous ( Bubu said so ), Like the one that has locked up the place since January, he could claim he has valuables or money missing should I force the place open, even though I know the room is empty, save for curtains and a foam.

The other one who actually stays there 247 seems to be looking to pick a fight that can be a pretex for a court case.

Honestly, I will like to know how to go about getting those guys out of my flat, considering that if I should pack out of there, they also has to pack out.

Lawyers, etc, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I full ground with una here for background.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Malawian(m): 10:37pm On Apr 21, 2018
Lala, I don't normally do this, but try move this stuff to the promise Land. No worry, I go download picture of snake put infront of this later.

Onye nkem...

27 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by pemiakd: 8:20pm On Apr 23, 2018
Tell them ur family re moving in and u will need their rooms. Simple

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by OgaDonald: 10:31pm On Apr 23, 2018
cool cool

You Don't Need to Stress yourself

Kindly Ask the Guy below ... and leave the Rest ....

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by prospero5(m): 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
na wa o!
this is a typical example of most nigerians' attitude. they seem to repay evil for good.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by whizcode: 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
Hmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by marttol: 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
You can't evict people from your house

Hire soldiers or tout...

I think soldier is better, make dem just Hala for dem, dem go cooperate...

13 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by EDDYROSY(m): 10:33pm On Apr 23, 2018
Ask BBNaija this question. I think Ebuka knows eviction better..

7 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 23, 2018
Get married to CeeC

27 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by agadez007(m): 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2018
Text "evict" plus name of the housemate to 32776

Each text costs N30

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by deeway200(m): 10:36pm On Apr 23, 2018
buy calabash, kolanut and palm oil. put some kolanut and palm oil on the calabash. add some cowries,then place it in front of the person's room.
warning: The rigidity of Buhari's period may not allow it to work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by ottohan: 10:36pm On Apr 23, 2018
Its like those guys are ur very close friends...
How can u sublet an apartment and still be paying..
I dont just understand!!
U even said dat u sent messages to one of them on facebook, which means you are even friends with them on FB..na waa oo..
Go and read 48 Laws of power

18 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by donkaz2(m): 10:41pm On Apr 23, 2018
Get a better lawyer that can do the job for u and better still u can save all ur money u are using to pay there bills go to a very ruged police station like Alagbon or alapere police station request to see the dpo drop the bill money on his table tell him ur story and tell him u need the guys evicted under 48hours 3ven the one that locked up his room will be forwarded to 2anted list and will be on the run all his life

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by WhoIBe: 10:41pm On Apr 23, 2018
Big broda don finish now you wan turn your flat to big broda abi?

na joke i dey ooo

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by canalily(m): 10:42pm On Apr 23, 2018
Simply go to south Africa and develope flamate naija show. You wil evict your flatmate quick quick

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2018
you should be blaming your self for all that is happening to you now...so you don't know those you have been sharing or say sublet ur two other rooms to? even when they don't pay the other utilities, you still kept adamant. ..yet u went to renew the rent again!
look my friend, dnt renew the whole rent again, go and look for a self contain or one bedroom flat n stay alone....

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Afobear: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2018
canalily:
Simply go to south Africa and develope flamate naija show. You wil evict your flatmate quick quick
WhoIBe:
Big broda don finish now you wan turn your flat to big broda abi?

na joke i dey ooo
EDDYROSY:
agadez007:
Text "evict" plus name of the housemate to 32776

Each text costs N30
Gbadegesin19:
Get married to CeeC
EDDYROSY:
Gbadegesin19:
Get married to CeeC
prospero5:
na wa o!
this is a typical example of most nigerians' attitude. they seem to repay evil for good.
y'all are kids

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by oshe11: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2018
See As BBN don affect people here

Chaaaiiiiii

Well, na Soldier or police sure pass bro
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by StackHouse1(m): 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2018
Lol very simple. grin

Just move/pack out and allowed the landlord to handle them

Thank me later

cheesy

6 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by geostrata(m): 10:47pm On Apr 23, 2018
Nominate him for eviction and pray he gets low votes... Ebuka will evict him on the Sunday night live show

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sodiqapril(m): 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2018
wake up during the midnight and start performing some strange rituals like tying white wrapper round ur waist and sprinkling palm oil on the entrance of their respective rooms, don't forget to utter strange and scary words that sound like incantations. do this. continuously for a week..NB during that period don't talk to them..

10 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by StPete: 10:52pm On Apr 23, 2018
H
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Maydfourth: 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2018
Go and report them to their parents..
Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by NotBeenPaid: 10:55pm On Apr 23, 2018
The Facebook chats and text messages could serve as an evidence that at least you tried your best but he wasn't picking up calls nor replying messages.

The 24/7 guy at least is aware of the notice. You have no problem with both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcQM6iiHBls

Good night

1 Like

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by greggng: 10:55pm On Apr 23, 2018
I am not a lawyer but subletting is illegality. Your agreement does not support such. Having said this, do you have any agreement with your flatmates? Do you issue them receipt the first time they paid you? If non of this exist, kindly get soldiers to throw them out . Even if they decide to act , claim you are only doing them a favour but you are getting married and needed to have your privacy. Since no evidence to show that they pay you, no case submission will be the end. They might wanna claim they transfer to your account ,claim is part of their money for feeding and bills since you are doing them a favour , you only ask that they pay for light, dustbin and feeding. Is not fair you married a wife to a man and also buy him bed to sleep with her. That will make him a lazy youth or man.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by miqos02(m): 11:02pm On Apr 23, 2018
Malawian:
Lala, I don't normally do this, but try move this stuff to the promise Land. No worry, I go download picture of snake put infront of this later.

Onye nkem...
do they have any " tenacy agreement" with the landlord ? No. you can forcefully evict them. They have no document to back up their residency in that flat.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sisisioge: 11:03pm On Apr 23, 2018
Once the notice elapses, just change the locks to the main entrance and travel for 3 days. I'm sure no one would dare break the door. The one that locked up too won't have access until you are on ground.

This is why I'm super reluctant to share another flat, my DJ flattie now is a wonderful human being. Who knows, I might meet your kind of flatmates if I dare change. It is well o.

7 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by GGirll: 11:06pm On Apr 23, 2018
Nobody thought of your safety after evicting them with police,soldier or lawyer...they can plan you up n even kill you since they know your house n routines....just quietly save n rent a house n move on .. delete them from Facebook n change your line if possible just silently disappear n never reconnect with them again they are bunch of ingrates n parasites...I rest my case.

16 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 23, 2018
sisisioge:
Once the notice elapses, just change the locks to the main entrance and travel for 3 days. I'm sure no one would dare break the door. The one that locked up too won't have access until you are on ground.

This is why I'm super reluctant to share another flat, my DJ flattie now is a wonderful human being. Who knows, I might meet your kind of Igbos if I dare change. It is well o.
Your last paragraph shows that you are no different from these dregs here that wallow in tribalism

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by naijainfogalery: 11:12pm On Apr 23, 2018
Number 1. What did you need a 3 bedroom flat for, you sound single , if you were married is a different case or using the other rooms as an office.

Anyways let's get to the main case, my dad is a landlord and I know how some tenants sometimes can be funny. If I were in your shoes. I wouldn't renew, I will just take excuse from Landlord to gimme 2 months, then when they won't be expecting I will get a new flat, self con preferably then move without telling them, these are the possible scenarios
a. Landlord didn't give them the house so he wouldn't even look at their faces to eject them
b. They are on a monthly payment plan and their payment has expired they can't sue you

But now that they wouldn't leave
a. Do not make any attempt to break their door, the moment you do haa that's when someone will tell you 10 million was in the room
b. Start by cutting off electricity to their rooms
c. Then change the main lock to your room, lock it up for 2 days without coming home but be prepared to be locked out too but anyone that mistakenly tries that, Just use community street shouting type to send him off your house, neighbors will add mouth to the matter
d. Unfortunate you can't do c because cohabiting another tenants and collecting money was against the agreement the landlord issued.

Intact all of una be the same thing

7 Likes

Re: How Can I Evict A Flatmate? by sisisioge: 11:13pm On Apr 23, 2018
QueenOfNepal:
Your last paragraph shows that you are no different from these dregs here that wallow in tribalism

Na flattties I wrote before they turned it to igbos for me o. My present flatmate is Igbo by the way and I've got an Igbo sister...so park very well!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Painting Of A Nairalander's 4 Bedroom Bungalow at Ibadan / NEMA Officials At The Scene Of Ogun Building Collapse Today / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.