Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,022 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? (15642 Views)

Buying Gold In Form Of Jewelry Or Mutual Fund. / Stanbic Bank Mutual Funds / Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by 0monnak0da: 1:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
nowpresence:

compared to mutual funds and stock, which is better?
my sister I wish life was that simple. Firstly I assume you are talking about buying and holding foreign exchange as opposed to daily trading.

To my thinking the former is simply a form of saving and not an investment. It does not generate signifiant returns though it could protect you from inflatioo if you lack confidence in the Naira.
Remember that the OP said he is a novice so for a novice I would advice mutual funds that is outside Nigeria . I did not realise before today that there were mutual funds in Nigeria
Personally I woulld have serious Trust issues about MF managers in Nigeria but there seems to be decent regulatory legslation. Infact I am beginning to wonder if one of them is not responsible for creating this thread.
It is worth knowing people in the industry.

The key thing with Shares or Funds is ENTRY POINT. Getting in at the right price. This is usually a time when things are bad and confidene low as was the case 3 years ago.At such a time when things have crashed almost everything is a winner. After that prices can pick up very quickly as they have done in the last 12 months and may become overirnflated. That is where you need a bit of technical expertise .
If you are investing for the long term i.e 10 years or more it does not really matter. I would advise buy shares and focus on 2 3 or 4 ompanies maximum.Buy and hold for the long term.

Personally I like shares like Guinness or Nigerian Breweries always a winner in Nigeria maybe Nestlle and look for a pharmaceutical ompany whose products you know and like

In the short term I wolul say go for the Mutual Funds if you trust them or T Bills
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by maisauki: 1:48pm On Apr 22, 2018
Agric
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by 0monnak0da: 1:50pm On Apr 22, 2018
AgamaProf:

It guarantees performance to some extent.That is why they cannot investment in any kind of investments.All to ensure safe returns to investors. As an investor, I can sue them if they don't comply to ISA 2004.
Performance means making money. Compliance does not ensure that they will make money. I would like to know how the MF industry performed in 2015 and 2016

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by 1kingwriter: 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
So many ideas flying at the speed of a bullet here.

I will go for STOCK any time and day.
All you need is a good stock market analyzer.
You know the time to invest and how to. Stock is the play ground of the rich.

Now why stocks?
It's suitable for long and short time. You can access your funds whenever you need it.
Years ago I have a client who bought only First Bank shares as his savings for 30 years, today his holding is about 10 million units. As a retiree, his yearly income from dividend alone is in excess of N8 million. He is living like a king in his late 50s.

A stock holding with a good mix is an invest beyond compare.
Stocks in Nigeria may go down as elections are coming up. The swing must be noted.
NB. Miss your stock holding with fundamental and technical analysis.

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
0monnak0da:
Performance means making money. Compliance does not ensure that they will make money. I would like to know how the MF industry performed in 2015 and 2016
The data's will be online.Am busy now...may be later I will have to check them out.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Buffalowings3(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
Which mutual funds outside the country do you know, bros

0monnak0da:
my sister I wish life was that simple. Firstly I assume you are talking about buying and holding foreign exchange as opposed to daily trading.

To my thinking the former is simply a form of saving and not an investment. It does not generate signifiant returns though it could protect you from inflatioo if you lack confidence in the Naira.
Remember that the OP said he is a novice so for a novice I would advice mutual funds that is outside Nigeria . I did not realise before today that there were mutual funds in Nigeria
Personally I woulld have serious Trust issues about MF managers in Nigeria but there seems to be decent regulatory legslation. Infact I am beginning to wonder if one of them is not responsible for creating this thread.
It is worth knowing people in the industry.

The key thing with Shares or Funds is ENTRY POINT. Getting in at the right price. This is usually a time when things are bad and confidene low as was the case 3 years ago.At such a time when things have crashed almost everything is a winner. After that prices can pick up very quickly as they have done in the last 12 months and may become overirnflated. That is where you need a bit of technical expertise .
If you are investing for the long term i.e 10 years or more it does not really matter. I would advise buy shares and focus on 2 3 or 4 ompanies maximum.Buy and hold for the long term.

Personally I like shares like Guinness or Nigerian Breweries always a winner in Nigeria maybe Nestlle and look for a pharmaceutical ompany whose products you know and like

In the short term I wolul say go for the Mutual Funds if you trust them or T Bills
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by 0monnak0da: 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
Buffalowings3:
Which mutual funds outside the country do you know, bros

You can easily search them

I am not a reference point or financial expert so why is what i know personally so important to you.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Tabbaz(m): 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
aaronson:
If your money runs into millions I suggest you invest in Treasury bills.

Shares takes years to get high pay out dividend, most people buy share for their unborn kids as a result.

Treasure bill is like a loan to the government that can be paid back at anytime you want, however, duration determines the percentage of profit you make, could be weeks, months, 1 year or more.

Crypto currency is a big risk, I'm NOT saying don't invest but venture in other sectors before risking that of Crypto currency. Crypto is highly volatile but massive profit but eh bros, if the volatility catches up with you, your 1 million could be worth 400k or less within minutes and the painful thing about it is you would be watching your money decrease right in your btc wallet and you can't do nothing about it, Ask gurus like Tabbaz, La.dyF, Ymodul.us and Hazz.anTazzan.

Crypto investment bought me Benz in the dream but when I woke up to volatility na brand new dullop slippers I dey use cruise around town. hahahaha kidding you but Invest wisely.

@bolded has happened to many crypto traders/investors. Lan Balina comes to mind
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Dezzx(m): 2:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nairaruky:
Mutual funds in Nigeria is not encouraging
If I were you,I will invest 30% in forex I.e buy $ and lock it up in dom acct
40% in ZENITH or GT bank be rest assured of 8 to 15% appreciation/ yr no matter the bear n fluctuating crude prices...dz two banks are bear resistant
The rest 30% in 3mths TB roll over
Provided you are employed and earn money monthly.....
Do this for 5 yrs...you are out of the rat race
Bros, where can one acquire T bills in Nigeria?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Buffalowings3(m): 2:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nairaruky:
Mutual funds in Nigeria is not encouraging
If I were you,I will invest 30% in forex I.e buy $ and lock it up in dom acct
40% in ZENITH or GT bank be rest assured of 8 to 15% appreciation/ yr no matter the bear n fluctuating crude prices...dz two banks are bear resistant
The rest 30% in 3mths TB roll over
Provided you are employed and earn money monthly.....
Do this for 5 yrs...you are out of the rat race

Bros, seems like you want me to open dom o
Na to dey pray make naija currency no appreciate be that o grin
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Victorakats(m): 2:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
If you have substantial funds, you may consider manufacturing or agricultural businesses.

Else, I will always recommend forex go stocks and bills.

If you need professional advice and practical suggestions, then you may reach me on 0-9-0-9-3-3-5-2-0-0-3(whatsapp)
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 22, 2018
Tabbaz:

@bolded has happened to many crypto traders/investors. Lan Balina comes to mind
Bros am a victim, Make I no lie lol. But little money though.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by kulex2k1(m): 2:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Go for Treasuey Bills....

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by MaziOmenuko: 2:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:

High Risk, your funds aer held by Mining computers,Owners can pack up anytime,this has happened loads!

Happened to some alt coins amongst thousand coins out there. That's why I specifically mentioned those 3 I did. I have studied them enough to know that their market cap and trade vol makes them great prospects.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by goodmorning40: 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
Mires:
There are several things to be taken into consideration before one ventures into investment. I will limit my discussion to just one considering your request after which the choice will be yours.

There are two types of investors; risk averse and risk lover.

For risk averse, sometimes call risk free in some texts, returns on investment (ROI) is usually low. While for risk lover, ROI is usually high.

Risk averse are those who don't like taken risks in terms of investments. Most of them rather prefer monthly salary. They are the set of people, Kiyosaki assumes to be running a rat race.

Risk lovers are those who embraced risks and rather prefer to lost their #1m rather than remaining with the #1m tomorrow if it can't be double by tomorrow. These are the people who make up the wealthy class. They don't like being associated with monthly salary.

Having said all these, there's a short term treasury bills which is for risk averse given that you are always or 100% sure of your investment. Is it really investment? I disagree just like many professionals in the field of economics and allied courses will disagree.

It is rather an avenue to loan an idol cash to the federal government rather than allowing commercial banks to trade with the money with little or no interest added to it. It is still advisable to channel one's idol cash to it rather than fixed deposits since ROI in the former is relatively higher to the latter. To be specific, it's about thrice the latter.

Does it make rational sense to use for instance #1m in buying treasury bills for a period of 364 days if my nature of job can give me time to invest in a viable business? The answer to this question is linked to my kind of person; risk averse or risk lover.

pls what is the least amount somebody can invest in treasury bills
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Tabbaz(m): 2:43pm On Apr 22, 2018
edited
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Tabbaz(m): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
aaronson:
Bros am a victim, Make I no lie lol. But little money though.

sure..crypto remains a high-risk investment. One should not invest what he can't afford to lose in it
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:

Mutual FUnd is SCAM, I thought by now you guys are wiser

How is mutual fund a scam? Can you back it up with your proof/evidence

I'm hearing this for the first time that Mutual Funds is SCAM shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 2:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
galantjoe:
My. Investment advice to op is
Invest in Stanbic IBTC money market mutual fund
Risk- same as deposit at bank
Return- currently15% per annum accrue every day. Year high is 18% p.a.
You can disinvest by giving 5 days notice
Minimum investment amount: N50,000

Visit any Stanbic IBTC Bank for more information.

ONE OF THE BEST ADVICES SO FAR ON THIS THREAD kiss

2 Likes

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 2:50pm On Apr 22, 2018
aaronson:
If your money runs into millions I suggest you invest in Treasury bills.

Shares takes years to get high pay out dividend, most people buy share for their unborn kids as a result.

Treasure bill is like a loan to the government that can be paid back at anytime you want, however, duration determines the percentage of profit you make, could be weeks, months, 1 year or more.

Crypto currency is a big risk, I'm NOT saying don't invest but venture in other sectors before risking that of Crypto currency. Crypto is highly volatile but massive profit but eh bros, if the volatility catches up with you, your 1 million could be worth 400k or less within minutes and the painful thing about it is you would be watching your money decrease right in your btc wallet and you can't do nothing about it, Ask gurus like Tabbaz, LadyF, Ymodulus and HazzanTazzan.

Crypto investment bought me Benz in the dream but when I woke up to volatility na brand new dullop slippers I dey use cruise around town. hahahaha kidding you but Invest wisely.

ONE OF THE BEST ADVICES SO FAR ON THIS THREAD kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 3:13pm On Apr 22, 2018
y4code:
[img][/img]Hello Nairalander

I have some money left aside to invest with i was thinking of investing in shares or mutual fund but i am a novice in both and willing to learn how both work.

please gurus in the system advice me coz i dont know what the stock or mutual fund market is saying right now and i have been doing some finding but havent get a genuine information.

please help me with some vital info and if you have any advice for me about stock or mutual fund please dont hesitate to aadvice me.

i will like to ask some questions from you my uncles and aunts in the system.

which one is more better to invest in between Share or mutual funds in terms of
1...Risk
2...Profit
3...time frame.

thanks

all comments are welcome.

I will tell you what i did, only if you will listen.

(1) I invested millions same figure in both Treasury Bills and Mutual Funds and i can confirm that i've never regretted investing on them. Your money is very SAFE. All you need is to visit your bank and tell them you want to invest in Treasury bills. They will definitely want to convince you to leave your money in your bank account or fix it, but insist that its your money and that is what you want to do with your money. Secondly, visit any StanbicIBTC Bank and tell them that you want to invest in Money Market Funds, they will tell you their requirements and open the account for you. You will be able to log in to your account at anytime and see how your money is growing. It is very very simple an enjoyable. As a matter of fact i don't live in Nigeria and i did both Treasury Bills and Mutual funds from here online. Its so sweet!

PLEASE NOTE: The last one below depend on your risk appetite:

(2) I invested in different cryptos and i threw my hardware wallet on top my ceiling until one of the cryptos's price can buy me a Lambo! grin wink cheesy

A plot of land is also an option but make sure you buy it through Property Lawyer, forget all those property agents... wink

In Summary- DIVERSIFY.. The smart way to save and invest is diversification, spreading your money between different kinds of investments (called 'asset classes') and different kinds of investment product helps reduce the risk of your overall investments wink

6 Likes

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by whitebeard(m): 3:15pm On Apr 22, 2018
0monnak0da:
If you know anything about investing you will not ask that . None is better.People have different investment objectives and horizons. What is good or better for a 25 year old might not be for a 45year old or 65 year old. A

Leaving that to one side there are hundreds of diffferent shares so "investing in shares" is not ONE choice to be considered a binary with "investing in mutual funds" that isjust like asking having tall or short friends which is better.
If you choose to invest in shares investing in pharmaceutical companiesisnot the same as investing in IT companies or investing in oil companies they are very different industries and cannot all e lumped together as a single investment decision . Even within industries companies are different in their performance. We just heard Lafarge declare a loss while Dangoteis doing fine.

Investing in Guinnes is very different from nvesting in Nestle. They are not just "investing in shares" . Choosing which share to invest in is a matter of expeerience and some luck.

Funds on the other hand are a basket of shares chosen by another "person" and managed for you. Funds may also invest in other things than shares e.g government bonds They charge a fee as well

Which is better going to the market to shop and cook or going to a restaurant?? It depends , there is a time for everything and different people have different needs at different times
so what about someone within the age 20-27 which do u recommend
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by whitebeard(m): 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2018
chloride6:

Lol..

In my opinion mutual funds are of course the best options because it allows you leverage on the expertise of your asset managers.

The average asset manager has CFA qualification, an MBA, advanced technological tools and at least 5 years finance experience. Even so, they still get it wrong.

Please send me a PM if you have further enquires so I can setup a meet. A one on one discussion may be useful in clearing up obscurities.

I am a financial analyst in training at Nigeria's second largest Asset Management Business in case you are wondering. grin
nice..that's very cool, but why should we meet one on one..whattsapp is there na..! cry
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Gaspardd(m): 3:19pm On Apr 22, 2018
MaziOmenuko:
Read up on crypto currencies. Take out time and study it very well. Decide if you can go into it or not. You can start by taking note of the price of 1 or 2 of them at cryptomarketcap and monitor their growth over time. (You can start with etherum, neo and ripples; those 3 have great potential).

No shares or mutual fund can give you a double digit profit, crypto does that on weekly basis.

Good thinking, Tho i do really advise pple to stay away from crypto, but i beleive crypto can really make ur life infintely easier for sn that understands it, it really grates me so hard wenevr i see 18% gain per annum..like wtf stone-age shiit is this? On d flip side all d coins u stated re legit, but i trade with reddcoin, and sometimes dogecoins too, cus they rr volitile, but mildly not like trx or xvg. Ada is gud for longterm too.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by chukzyfcbb: 3:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
As a novice, Invest in mutual funds use the profit to invest in stocks...But first do your research to find coys that are stable in the last few years.

Meanwhile I hear MTN will be launching their IPO this June/July. I will say watch out for that it promises to be fruitful.

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Mires: 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
goodmorning40:

pls what is the least amount somebody can invest in treasury bills

Federal government stipulates #1k. However, it differs across banks given that some banks do not want to get involve with a client who is not willing or doesn't have a significant amount to put in it. The amount invested in it will also determines their commission in terms of custodian fee which is usually 0.001 of the capital.

In sum, it is not worth it if one doesn't purchase in millions.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by goodmorning40: 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2018
Mires:

Federal government stipulates #1k. However, it differs across banks given that some banks do not want to get involve with a client who is not willing or doesn't have a significant amount to put in it. The amount invested in it will also determines their commission in terms of custodian fee which is usually 0.001 of the capital.

In sum, it is not worth it if one doesn't purchase in millions.

thanks
what about forex? can one start it with 50 to 100k
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Mires: 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2018
goodmorning40:

thanks
what about forex? can one start it with 50 to 100k

I think so. I have a couple of friends who are into forex. I haven't taken a keen interest in it.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by onyokometer: 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
Bros abeg use your cash and buy land,sale after two years. Shares or mutual fund na nonsense. The ones I bought ten years ago deprecated and is still depreciating. I regret,had it been I bought land with those money. Ibtc mutual fund,zenith mutual fund etc na nonsense. ......no gain at all.

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by engrhorla(m): 3:56pm On Apr 22, 2018
plamonee:
Bros, please go and buy land, forget investment in instrument. Our economy is not matured enough to give you adequate returns. You can get lands in developing areas from 600k up. Within 2 or 3yrs it has doubled. While instrument is still battling with melt down, vaporization and various forms of economic earthquakes.

You are fantastically correct.

Though, shares, stocks and treasury bills are good forms of investment.

But if you want a zero risk plus high RoI on your money, go for lands.

To reduce the risk, go for lands sold by registered real estate development firms such as Adron Homes..chat me for more info
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by 0monnak0da: 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
whitebeard:
so what about someone within the age 20-27 which do u recommend
Any advice you get for free is not to be trusted either you pay with money, time or tears

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Earn #1700 Daily By Doing Tasks Online. / Does Anyone Know Anything About DOUBLECASH.ME?? / Is Web.jiont2.com Legit Or Scam? Find Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.