Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,433 members, 7,800,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo (639 Views)

Igbo Men Angered After Igbo Woman Tweeted "Igbo Men Are Generally Insufferable A / Alaafin Of Oyo To Hold The Naming Ceremony Of His Two Set Of Twins On Same Day / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by ariesbull: 9:26am On Apr 22, 2018
The Igbos, very much unlike most ethnic nationalities are the only black nation I know that has its name embedded in the names of its ancient towns and in the names of its sons and daughters. This is a far cry from the e.g the Yoruba nation. I have never heard of any ancient Yoruba town or an individual name with the word "yoruba" embedded. Neither do I know any in Hausaland. Let me know if you know of any outside Igboland.

For me this is a pointer to the theory that Ndigbo are indeed a very ancient people or Ndigbó.

Here is a few of the such precolonial names, you can add yours...

IgboUkwu , Anambara
IgboUzọ (Ibusa), Delta
AkwukwọIgbo town, Delta
Igbodo town, Delta
IgboEtiti, Enugwu
IgboEze, Enugwu
Obigbo, Rivers

Family names

Igboanugo
Igbokwe
Igboekweeze
Onuigbo
Obiligbo
Odenigbo
etc.

Please add yours.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by dafeyankee: 9:30am On Apr 22, 2018
Ada Owerri.
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by Cutehector(m): 9:30am On Apr 22, 2018
Some times I wish I'm not from the Igbo tribe.. Can I change tribe please..

1 Like

Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by dafeyankee: 9:32am On Apr 22, 2018
Cutehector:
Some times I wish I'm not from the Igbo tribe.. Can I change tribe please..

You wan be Waffi?
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by Cutehector(m): 9:36am On Apr 22, 2018
dafeyankee:

You wan be Waffi?
no. Benin. I wan leave this country.. grin
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by dafeyankee: 9:41am On Apr 22, 2018
Cutehector:
no. Benin. I wan leave this country.. grin

Too easy. Just take motor from Onitsha to Lagos. Then take motor to Badagry.

From Badagry, take Okada enter Benin Republic and you don enter abroad.

You are welcome.
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by Cutehector(m): 9:44am On Apr 22, 2018
dafeyankee:

Too easy. Just take motor from Onitsha to Lagos. Then take motor to Badagry.

From Badagry, take Okada enter Benin Republic and you don enter abroad.

You are welcome.
Nigerians don cast for benin republic sef... Na Gabon I wan enter
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by dafeyankee: 9:45am On Apr 22, 2018
Cutehector:
Nigerians don cast for benin republic sef... Na Gabon I wan enter

I hear say Oyel money dey there?
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by Cutehector(m): 9:53am On Apr 22, 2018
dafeyankee:

I hear say Oyel money dey there?
I no know o
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by dafeyankee: 9:56am On Apr 22, 2018
Cutehector:
I no know o

See?you don dey wan code me comot for game already shuuu.

Why you wan go Gabon if no be Oyel?
Re: Igbo Uniqueness And Town Naming After Igbo by Cutehector(m): 10:00am On Apr 22, 2018
dafeyankee:

See?you don dey wan code me comot for game already shuuu.

Why you wan go Gabon if no be Oyel?
I hear say their babes like Nigerian guys wella

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Foreigner Who Attended A Nigerian Wedding Party Losses Control Dancing / Is It Truly Important To Know Your Mother Tongue? / When We Ruled Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.