Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (13028 Views)

Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway Includes Railway Tracks In The Middle / Sinkhole Appears In The Middle Of A Road In Ogbor Hill, Aba, After Heavy Rain / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by IbnIbrahim: 1:02pm On Apr 23, 2018
In recent years, there has been a surge in Nigerians relocating to Canada. But of worrisome concern is that this set of Nigerians are in the middle class category (in well-paid jobs). People earning very well and doing exceptionally in their careers are packing their bags and leaving. A Facebook post I read; a top player in the Nigerian corporate environment was astounded and asked, what is happening in Canada? As a friend of his earning a million naira job relocated to Canada, and this is the 4th person he knows doing same within 6 months! The comments' box showed everything; young (mid-20s & mid-30s) individuals are leaving their well-paid jobs in Nigeria, carrying with them their family to Canada (for married persons).

This cuts across sectors and industries. An example is the Big4 community where partners are no longer afraid of their top staff being poached by MNCs or fellow consultancies but them relocating to Canada/Australia/Germany/UK/US. Correspondingly, there has been an increase of mid and senior level positions being advertised by the Big4 firms. What about the top telco firm that lost not less than 15 high performing staff in what was described as the Canada tsunami in 2015? :shock: Ditto in other telco firms. What about the medical sector where someone mentioned that 7 consultants have relocated to the UK within the last 2 years? Professionals ranging from plastic surgeons to pathologist to urologists to radiologists to neurologists to orthopaedic surgeons. This commentator further went on to say that in a federal hospital (he did not mentioned the name), every senior registrar is writing a foreign examination to leave. But that of Canada is the biggest even though Nigerians are not among the top ten nationalities migrating to Canada (Nigeria is actually 11th behind Eritrea in a survey in 2016).

What are the reasons they gave? The system works! From transportation; education; policing; electricity; water; roads etc. The basic amenities of life are provided. But could there be other reasons as to why top performing staff of notable firms are relocating? Where folks earning 12 - 24 million naira annually are leaving? What is in Canada?

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

https://hotproforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1162&p=1651#p1651

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by billtommy(m): 1:05pm On Apr 23, 2018
o
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by hotdealz(m): 1:35pm On Apr 23, 2018
Its not really about them but for their children. They are relocating to secure their children future in a country where everything seems to work. - My Uncle, 2009.

My uncle left his high paying job and relocated to Canada with his family. Today, all his children are professionals in their fields of study. While my neighbor who is a banker, has four graduates at home still depending on him for survival.

In Nigeria, being hardworking doesn't guarantee that your children future is secured regardless of how hardworking they are themselves. The country is getting worse every day. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. embarassed

91 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Sallygold(f): 3:24pm On Apr 23, 2018
I also want to relocate, I don't have a good paying job, so salary is poor. Saving gradually for it. I dont knw the process involved or how to get agent to process this, I am considering Australia. Please help on how I can go about it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by seunny4lif(m): 4:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
Why is Ireland not there?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Electroweb(m): 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2018
...but what kind of jobs do these middle class nigerians that were earning well, do when they get to Canada? I hope its not Uber, Mcdonalds and the likes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Icecream4U(m): 6:05pm On Apr 23, 2018
Sallygold:
I also want to relocate, I don't have a good paying job, so salary is poor. Saving gradually for it. I dont knw the process involved or how to get agent to process this, I am considering Australia. Please help on how I can go about it.
Visit travel section here on nairaland. You will learn a lot.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by IbnIbrahim: 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2018
Electroweb:
...but what kind of jobs do these middle class nigerians that were earning well, do when they get to Canada? I hope its not Uber, Mcdonalds and the likes.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by dru23(m): 6:29pm On Apr 23, 2018
Electroweb:

Please and please carry your Canada wala to dey go.. This is uber thread o
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by AgentGoat: 7:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
dru23:

Please and please carry your Canada wala to dey go.. This is uber thread o
which car person fit get for 900k for UBEr runs?
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by obonujoker(m): 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2018
If I had my way, no one would travel out again... After electing nonsense leaders, una wan run... fools...

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by TheEnforcer: 8:22pm On Apr 23, 2018
The trend now is that top guys in oil companies move their family to Canada.They maintain their high paying job and shuttle between Nigeria and Canada.They could work for two months here and spend the next two months in Canada.Many of them do this.They buy discount ed tickets which makes their shuttle easier throughout the year.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by mrsage(m): 8:51pm On Apr 23, 2018
This Canada tsunami is real.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by mrsage(m): 8:52pm On Apr 23, 2018
Topics like this should be on front page ....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by IbnIbrahim: 9:34pm On Apr 23, 2018
mrsage:
Topics like this should be on front page ....

They won't put it on the front page. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Gerrard59(m): 9:49pm On Apr 23, 2018
Electroweb:

The vast majority get employed or are assured of employment by circa 90% before relocating. These folks are highly educated and skilled. The one who left the N1M per month job has a(n) first class from a private university, MSc from a UK university, ACCA and 8 years' experience.

These are not your regular hustlers.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by dru23(m): 11:07pm On Apr 23, 2018
AgentGoat:
which car person fit get for 900k for UBEr runs?

Ha bro I don't know o.. All my cars are tokunbo o.. When it comes to naija cars fear the grab me. Gazzuzz will have better idea on that...
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by peacengine(m): 6:44am On Apr 24, 2018
hotdealz:
Its not really about them but for their children. They are relocating to secure their children future in a country where everything seems to work. - My Uncle, 2009.

My uncle left his high paying job and relocated to Canada with his family. Today, all his children are professionals in their fields of study. While my neighbor who is a banker, has four graduates at home still depending on him for survival.

In Nigeria, being hardworking doesn't guarantee that your children future is secure regardless of how hardworking they are themselves. The country is ge3 tting worse every day. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. embarassed

We are three graduates, here in Naija all working, so what is your response? Your cousins are lazy yuths!

But seriously, black man is not too wise. If I earn a million here will I relocate because of light? Hahahaha I will move to where I can get good supply of light here, then kit my house with solar fully fitted and inverter backup running smoothly too.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Saintp(m): 8:45am On Apr 24, 2018
peacengine:

We are three graduates, here in Naija all working, so what is your response? Your cousins are lazy yuths!

But seriously, black man is not too wise. If I earn a million here will I relocate because of light? Hahahaha I will move to where I can get good supply of light here, then kit my house with solar fully fitted and inverter backup running smoothly too.

Black people are too self centered, you just confirmed it and this is why we can't develop as a nation. We care only about ourselves, ourselves and ourselves with no regard to others and the larger society.

So you will be happy that you have solar and inverter and have 24/7 light while your neighbors wallow in darkness. Some people have bought SUVs to minimize the effect of bad roads, some have surrounded their house with 12 feet wall, nails and barb wires to protect themselves from bad people and they are happy thinking this is all to life.

Until we start to value collective and society progress instead of individual progress, this country will remain a shithole. The difference between us and the western world is that the value collective progress, you don't need to be rich to enjoy basic amenities, you don't need to be rich to call 911 when in danger to get immediate police protection and many more.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be about money. I prefer to be in an environment where things work for all irrespective of whether they are rich or poor than to be in an environment where getting the basic things of life will depend on how rich or poor you are.

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by azelab: 8:50am On Apr 24, 2018
peacengine:

what about insecurity and many other constraints, likewise the future of your children. I won't deceive you if I earn a million in Nigeria here I will relocate to place like Canada or Australia.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Gerrard59(m): 10:04am On Apr 24, 2018
Saintp:

Black people are too self centered, you just confirmed it and this is why we can't develop as a nation. We care only about ourselves, ourselves and ourselves with no regard to others and the larger society.

So you will be happy that you have solar and inverter and have 24/7 light while your neighbors wallow in darkness. Some people have bought SUVs to minimize the effect of bad roads, some have surrounded their house with 12 feet wall, nails and barb wires to protect themselves from bad people and they are happy thinking this is all to life.

Until we start to value collective and society progress instead of individual progress, this country will remain a shithole. The difference between us and the western world is that the value collective progress, you don't need to be rich to enjoy basic amenities, you don't need to be rich to call 911 when in danger to get immediate police protection and many more.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be about money. I prefer to be in an environment where things work for all irrespective of whether they are rich or poor than to be in an environment where getting the basic things of life will depend on how rich or poor you are.

Thank you!

Cretins believe all is well provided they are OK. Let me see what he'd do should he face an emergency around 2am and the hospital lacks electricity. When he is told to go and purchase petrol and the stations have closed.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by HeWrites(m): 10:23am On Apr 24, 2018
peacengine:

Is this all you have to say??

Someone on Oxygen died because of Power outrage in Lagos State. Should it be a country where everything is going on smoothly, I'm sure the patient might be alive by now and you're here talking bouh Solar.

I don't want to argue with you cause you're just saying this because you could not afford the expense to leave this country.

Someone who is intelligent will already know you ghat no point, the only thing you could talk about is LIGHT. imagine if this is an international debate, is this all you will say? How will you be able to convince the audience to agree with you

Different strokes for different folks.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by otipoju(m): 12:19pm On Apr 24, 2018
Saintp:

My brother, they will never understand what a normal life should be like.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 12:52pm On Apr 24, 2018
Saintp:

I appreciate your point on collective effort, but if families who are well off enough move out of Nigeria to Canada and the rest. What happens to those who cannot leave Nigeria. To myself both methods have elements of selfishness and perhaps moving out of the country and leaving others behind could be argued to be just as selfish.

The only way for such progress is for Nigerian people to rally together (this includes those in diaspora). I am not against anyone going or staying though, I just wanted to highlight this point in your otherwise good argument.

Look at it this way if 20 people who are earning N1m per month came together and sacrificed 3 months salary (not at a go), they would have N60m to invest in starting up something that would provide a decent service and generate profit. i.e. shared solar services, donation of a solar panel to a local hospital, scholarships scheme etc. Yes, as you said, we need to value societal and collective progress - WE REALLY DO!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 12:58pm On Apr 24, 2018
Relocating is fine, but where does it end?

You move with your wife and kids.

Then what about your parents back home? They will need medical care as they grow older, if all the doctors are leaving for the UK (and hospitals are a death trap) that is a worrying scenario. Will you import 4 grandparents to stay with your children. What about uncles and aunties, cousins etc. Those who have reached positions of success are uniquely placed to change Nigeria. I firmly believe the private sector can change Nigeria, and in fact, that may be our only hope for now!

Why do you think it seems so impossible for us to simply work together (irrespective of government)?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by HeWrites(m): 1:48pm On Apr 24, 2018
ell77:

Then what about your parents back home? They will need medical care as they grow older, if all the doctors are leaving for the UK (and hospitals are a death trap) that is a worrying scenario. Will you import 4 grandparents to stay with your children. What about uncles and aunties, cousins etc. Those who have reached positions of success are uniquely placed to change Nigeria. I firmly believe the private sector can change Nigeria, and in fact, that may be our only hope for now!

Why do you think it seems so impossible for us to simply work together (irrespective of government)?

@Emboldened same way everybody cannot be rich (no time to explain expatiate it yourself).

Because everyone has to struggle and survive.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by HeWrites(m): 1:55pm On Apr 24, 2018
ell77:

I appreciate your point on collective effort, but if families who are well off enough move out of Nigeria to Canada and the rest. What happens to those who cannot leave Nigeria. To myself both methods have elements of selfishness and perhaps moving out of the country and leaving others behind could be argued to be just as selfish.

The only way for such progress is for Nigerian people to rally together (this includes those in diaspora). I am not against anyone going or staying though, I just wanted to highlight this point in your otherwise good argument.

Look at it this way if 20 people who are earning N1m per month came together and sacrificed 3 months salary (not at a go), they would have N60m to invest in starting up something that would provide a decent service and generate profit. i.e. shared solar services, donation of a solar panel to a local hospital, scholarships scheme etc. Yes, as you said, we need to value societal and collective progress - WE REALLY DO!

Quick question, if you have the 20M are you going to do that shii you wrote. (easier said than done).

If you can, the money you're earning every month (that's if you're working) slash it by two and be keeping half of the money. After a year, go and use the money to open a company where you will be employing people. And if you think you can't do it alone, be sending me the money.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 2:44pm On Apr 24, 2018
HeWrites:

Quick question, if you have the 20M are you going to do that shii you wrote. (easier said than done).

If you can, the money you're earning every month (that's if you're working) slash it by two and be keeping half of the money. After a year, go and use the money to open a company where you will be employing people. And if you think you can't do it alone, be sending me the money.

@HeWrites - That is where innovation comes in. I am not expecting Nigerians to all become Mother Theresa, but we should move from a win/lose mentality to a win/win mentality. If you read what you emboldened you will see the idea is simple - the problem is finding like-minded people. I would happily do this if I could find like-minded people and we would make profit whilst benefiting our society (new job creation included). However, I live in the UK (born and bred), when next I visit I hope there will still be Nigerians left in Nigeria to discuss solutions with and ACT ON THEM!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by HeWrites(m): 4:17pm On Apr 24, 2018
ell77:

@HeWrites - That is where innovation comes in. I am not expecting Nigerians to all become Mother Theresa, but we should move from a win/lose mentality to a win/win mentality. If you read what you emboldened you will see the idea is simple - the problem is finding like-minded people. I would happily do this if I could find like-minded people and we would make profit whilst benefiting our society (new job creation included). However, I live in the UK (born and bred), when next I visit I hope there will still be Nigerians left in Nigeria to discuss solutions with and ACT ON THEM!

I won't take you serious.

Don't stay over there and be giving advice. Please come and be living here in Nigeria so that we will face the suffering together.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by maternal: 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2018
ell77:

Did you give all these advice to your parents? You do know there's a reason you were born abroad ? Do you think it was a mistake ?

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 8:16pm On Apr 24, 2018
maternal:

Did you give all these advice to your parents? You do know there's a reason you were born abroad ? Do you think it was a mistake ?
HeWrites:

I won't take you serious.

Don't stay over there and be giving advice. Please come and be living here in Nigeria so that we will face the suffering together.

I repeat my question: Why do you think it seems so impossible for us to simply work together (irrespective of government)? This extends to those in diaspora? Neither of us chose where we were born, I cannot deny you as my fellow Nigerian even if you wish to deny me.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos City Marathon 2018: LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion / LASTMA To Track Traffic Violators With Mobile Device / 'UK Border Force' On Sky1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.