Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,238 members, 7,780,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:59 PM

Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (12969 Views)

Sinkhole Appears In The Middle Of A Road In Ogbor Hill, Aba, After Heavy Rain / African Lady Who Lost In The Middle Of Desert In UAE (Photos) / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by JoannaSedley(f): 5:40am On Apr 27, 2018
gentlemate00:
Good day how did her submission amount to juvenile story? Some gave you a practical experience our its look like working in our dear nigeria and you are against it.Please write your own opinon and move on.

It is full of crap and needs to be corrected. Garnering public sympathy by spreading falsehood about others in a public fora is deceitful. As a professional, she should be called out to desist from it. That is my grouse.
Thank you.

Sorry for derailing this thread. You can quote me somewhere else

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by careerwoman(f): 7:33am On Apr 27, 2018
gentlemate00:
Good day how did her submission amount to juvenile story? Some gave you a practical experience our its look like working in our dear nigeria and you are against it.Please write your own opinon and move on.

Don't mind her sorry self.. She's just as confused as her cohorts.. Her facts dont add up. She wants a doctor to attend to surgical emergency without the assistance of the other health workers.
I am too civil to engage in an internet banter with her.. And yes, she and her cohorts are very TOXIC and I'll maintain that fact anywhere. She expects the doctors to go on strike with them when they're fighting against them.. Very humourous.. Hiring thugs (because I want to believe they aren't the ones beating up doctors, locum staff and police men) to do their dirty deeds and bully other people willing to work. Unfortunately, the dying patients are the ones at the receiving end.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 1:44pm On Apr 27, 2018
Ha. Good afternoon. There have been a lot of posts here. I am not going to quote them all.

To all those who wish to leave Nigeria and feel they have the means to do so. Go ahead. Just plan well and you will be fine. But don't assume just moving abroad will be fine, do it in a well-informed and structured way. My question remains, if you leave and take care of your own family only, since you know this will not improve Nigeria, is there anything you believe you can do to improve Nigeria?

I personally believe every person can have an impact, for some they need the funds to do so, for others it's the right knowledge or support, for others it's having the time to do it. For others it's a combination of these things. Those who are complaining Nigeria is so bad because of the government (which is true), when you move out (after planning well) and making a successful life for yourself, do you believe it makes sense for you to invest back home for your own descendents to have the choice to go back and even your neighbours who were not able to leave with you? What it sounds like to me is people are happy to leave (fine) but think it's strange for someone who is abroad to help communities back home.

If potential investors in the diaspora and even in Nigeria are reading their thread they will give up on Nigeria. I do not give up on Nigeria because I have seen poverty and want to alleviate it, I have witnessed incompetence and wish to correct it.

I would love the government to change and be the government Nigerians deserve. But I believe, it may take a long time and we don't have to wait for that. We can make changes ourselves. Those changes might be small, but once successful maybe others will follow suit. As I said before, someone has to make Nigeria good for those who remain there (either by choice or by circumstance)

Also please note incompetence exists all over the world in every profession. If you have done your research (highly recommended), you will find not everything is guaranteed once you leave Nigeria and perhaps you will not only be ready but can protect yourself.

On a personal note, I find it very disappointing that people who actually believe in making Nigeria better are attacked whilst people who call Nigeria garbage are supported. If you live in Nigeria and are suffering, and I mean really really suffering. Who will affect your life positively, the naysayer who plans to leave the country and NEVER look back or those who want to help Nigeria (either based abroad or in Nigeria - even if that person feels they need to leave first because of the current condition but will eventually help Nigeria)?

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Olalekank(m): 2:47pm On Apr 27, 2018
ell77:
Ha. Good afternoon. There have been a lot of posts here. I am not going to quote them all.

To all those who wish to leave Nigeria and feel they have the means to do so. Go ahead. Just plan well and you will be fine. But don't assume just moving abroad will be fine, do it in a well-informed and structured way. My question remains, if you leave and take care of your own family only, since you know this will not improve Nigeria, is there anything you believe you can do to improve Nigeria?

I personally believe every person can have an impact, for some they need the funds to do so, for others it's the right knowledge or support, for others it's having the time to do it. For others it's a combination of these things. Those who are complaining Nigeria is so bad because of the government (which is true), when you move out (after planning well) and making a successful life for yourself, do you believe it makes sense for you to invest back home for your own descendents to have the choice to go back and even your neighbours who were not able to leave with you? What it sounds like to me is people are happy to leave (fine) but think it's strange for someone who is abroad to help communities back home.

If potential investors in the diaspora and even in Nigeria are reading their thread they will give up on Nigeria. I do not give up on Nigeria because I have seen poverty and want to alleviate it, I have witnessed incompetence and wish to correct it.

I would love the government to change and be the government Nigerians deserve. But I believe, it may take a long time and we don't have to wait for that. We can make changes ourselves. Those changes might be small, but once successful maybe others will follow suit. As I said before, someone has to make Nigeria good for those who remain there (either by choice or by circumstance)

Also please note incompetence exists all over the world in every profession. If you have done your research (highly recommended), you will find not everything is guaranteed once you leave Nigeria and perhaps you will not only be ready but can protect yourself.

On a personal note, I find it very disappointing that people who actually believe in making Nigeria better are attacked whilst people who call Nigeria garbage are supported. If you live in Nigeria and are suffering, and I mean really really suffering. Who will affect your life positively, the naysayer who plans to leave the country and NEVER look back or those who want to help Nigeria (either based abroad or in Nigeria - even if that person feels they need to leave first because of the current condition but will eventually help Nigeria)?
To be honest, I support your movement. The country has done me bad but if there's a way for us to change, I can do it.

Where exactly do we start from?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by AngelicBeing: 3:15pm On Apr 27, 2018
aumeehn:

Hmmmm reading your all your post on this thread makes me smh! Have you ever experienced hunger in your life? Like you are hungry And you dont have money to buy food, you went to a construction site worked as a laborer from 7am to 5pm but before 5pm the man that's supposed to pay you is nowhere to be found that is how you will carry your sorry self back to your family without kobo or if you are lucky you receive 2k naira less than 10usd for the day. I prefer working in a restaurant abroad washing plates and getting paid for my job than suffering here without getting paid! In fact i have a very close friend who is a furniture maker (carpenter) the dude has been idle since last month because there's no work to do even if he found a job to do his employer end up paying him half of his money cus he knows that he is broke and desperate there by taking advantage of him! Thats wbat is wrong With Nigeria so forget all this your story even if i'm earning 1million a month i will leave Nigeria because to make it in Nigeria legally is 50/50 chance. I'm a Muslim and my religion forbid me to feed myself and my family with haram! I know someone personally that earn 45k per month working with state government but he drives a Peugeot 407 and live in GRA how did he get the bar to live that kind of life?? You will be walking on the street police will pull over and arrest you until you pay them or they drag you to the station write false statement and force you to sign! There are morethan 1million inmates languishing in Nigerian prisons awaiting trial! Awaiting trial o! There is no way a poor man will win a case in a Nigerian court of law!!
If You dont know someone in Nigeria OYO is your case!

You are living in the UK so you wont know what it takes to be a Nigerian! Maternal is right. i will leave Nigeria one day and will never come back i will just help my Family and friends relocate cus Nigeria is failed state!
Gbam, blessed be the day l left that shithole jungle called Nigeria, a land of hopelessness, suffering and gnashing of teeth, a land that has been declared by worldpoverty com has having the highest poor people in the world.

Nigeria is a failed state, we have only one life to live here and it will be suicidal to waste it in that jungle in the name of patriotism

Nigeria is a failed state and it is the current headquarters of Hell fire, those who have ears should hear, if you can flee like l did long-time ago, flee and don't look back Qed

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Affordablerent: 3:59pm On Apr 27, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Gbam, blessed be the day l left that shithole jungle called Nigeria, a land of hopelessness, suffering and gnashing of teeth, a land that has been declared by worldpoverty com has having the highest poor people in the world.

Nigeria is a failed state, we have only one life to live here and it will be suicidal to waste it in that jungle in the name of patriotism

Nigeria is a failed state and it is the current headquarters of Hell fire, those who have ears should hear, if you can flee like l did long-time ago, flee and don't look back Qed

I find this post bizarre. Angel, your hatred for this country is not normal. You have left so why this venom, u make us assume that you are not at peace in heaven. People don't have to do what you did, we don't even know you so relax bro, in your heaven you should be at peace not acting like a bitter person lol

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Affordablerent: 4:08pm On Apr 27, 2018
ell77:

Gooday sir, I have a friend who relocated a few years back. He couldn't get any meaningful job in his new country and spent years as a cleaner. He wants to come back home but he's ashamed as no money to prove he went abroad, he even sold his father's land before travelling. Now he's so broke and full of hate. Sometimes, I suspect he's on Nairaland posting hateful comments because of frustration. Don't be surprised at people's behavior, I must say some people are acting that way for different reasons, jealousy, hate, ignorance etc. I respect you Sir

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by AngelicBeing: 5:55pm On Apr 27, 2018
Affordablerent:

I find this post bizarre. Angel, your hatred for this country is not normal. You have left so why this venom, u make us assume that you are not at peace in heaven. People don't have to do what you did, we don't even know you so relax bro, in your heaven you should be at peace not acting like a bitter person lol

Bitter, you must be joking, continue to be patriotic to the jungle and enjoy the shithole it offers, I responded to a post and not you, if my post offends you, l have no apologies, Nigeria is a useless shithole, deal with it, l don't wish you to know me, my last response to you angry

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by otokx(m): 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2018
Affordablerent:

Gooday sir, I have a friend who relocated a few years back. He couldn't get any meaningful job in his new country and spent years as a cleaner. He wants to come back home but he's ashamed as no money to prove he went abroad, he even sold his father's land before travelling. Now he's so broke and full of hate. Sometimes, I suspect he's on Nairaland posting hateful comments because of frustration. Don't be surprised at people's behavior, I must say some people are acting that way for different reasons, jealousy, hate, ignorance etc. I respect you Sir

What is the name of the country and what was his highest educational qualification?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by timesup234: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2018
Hungry people everywhere again. Those who live in Canada will definitely shut up cos they know the real. 70% of Nigerians involved in any sort of job are richer and have more savings than Canadians. Aside from health care Canada is just another version of suffer head America

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by obonujoker(m): 7:36pm On Apr 27, 2018
timesup234:
Hungry people everywhere again. Those who live in Canada will definitely shut up cos they know the real. 70% of Nigerians involved in any sort of job are richer and have more savings than Canadians. Aside from health care Canada is just another version of suffer head America

You are a liar bro... why then are those people refusing to come back to Nigeria??

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by timesup234: 7:49pm On Apr 27, 2018
obonujoker:

You are a liar bro... why then are those people refusing to come back to Nigeria??
Constructive is the traits of failures while reality is paradise for those who choose to break from the shackles. I am not talking to you cos you fall into same category, Nigerians living in Canada knows what I am talking about, they will die in silent and swallow up their misery. Very hard pill they will keep swallowing down. Now be dismissed!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by TheEnforcer: 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2018
timesup234:
Constructive is the traits of failures while reality is paradise for those who choose to break from the shackles. I am not talking to you cos you fall into same category, Nigerians living in Canada knows what I am talking about, they will die in silent and swallow up their misery. Very hard pill they will keep swallowing down. Now be dismissed!
You are here to constitute a nuisance again?You are always on every thread about Europe and north America,ranting.Why are so negatively minded?You are never positive here,and everyone know you constitute a nuisance here.You are never objective.When will you sit down and be objective for once,I mean just for once.Your attitude disgusts a lot of peeps here.Turn a new leaf

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by timesup234: 8:35pm On Apr 27, 2018
TheEnforcer:
You are here to constitute a nuisance again?You are always on every thread about Europe and north America,ranting.Why are so negatively minded?You are never positive here,and everyone know you constitute a nuisance here.You are never objective.When will you sit down and be objective for once,I mean just for once.Your attitude disgusts a lot of peeps here.Turn a new leaf

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2018
timesup234:
No you are the one to turn a new leaf. The days of slavery are over. Canada, Europe and America are all overhyped shiitholes. They hold no single advantage to become successful in life than even Sudan. Enough of fantasies people, we are all getting older and smarter now. Lets stop thinking like animated cartoons
Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Affordablerent: 11:01pm On Apr 27, 2018
otokx:

What is the name of the country and what was his highest educational qualification?

Bsc, Canada

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by DebateNigeria: 11:21pm On Apr 27, 2018
Saintp:

Black people are too self centered, you just confirmed it and this is why we can't develop as a nation. We care only about ourselves, ourselves and ourselves with no regard to others and the larger society.

So you will be happy that you have solar and inverter and have 24/7 light while your neighbors wallow in darkness. Some people have bought SUVs to minimize the effect of bad roads, some have surrounded their house with 12 feet wall, nails and barb wires to protect themselves from bad people and they are happy thinking this is all to life.

Until we start to value collective and society progress instead of individual progress, this country will remain a shithole. The difference between us and the western world is that the value collective progress, you don't need to be rich to enjoy basic amenities, you don't need to be rich to call 911 when in danger to get immediate police protection and many more.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be about money. I prefer to be in an environment where things work for all irrespective of whether they are rich or poor than to be in an environment where getting the basic things of life will depend on how rich or poor you are.

You are so on point.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 1:01am On Apr 28, 2018
Olalekank:

To be honest, I support your movement. The country has done me bad but if there's a way for us to change, I can do it.

Where exactly do we start from?

My brother, I don't think anyone knows but questions like yours are what intelligent people ask.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 1:05am On Apr 28, 2018
Affordablerent:

Lol. Thanks.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by drakeli: 4:54am On Apr 28, 2018
timesup234:
No you are the one to turn a new leaf. The days of slavery are over. Canada, Europe and America are all overhyped shiitholes. They hold no single advantage to become successful in life than even Sudan. Enough of fantasies people, we are all getting older and smarter now. Lets stop thinking like animated cartoons
Guy, who do you look like this? You storm every travel abroad trend spewing hate and ignorance about people living overseas especially America. The other day, you said all of us didn’t have $500 in our account and so we cannot afford flight ticket to come to Nigeria. I showed you my bank account balance to put you wrong and that not all Nigerians abroad fit into your stereotype of failure. That was like three months ago. If you care to know, I have like double that previous amount in my bank account today again. Be there and be going down in your hate. As for me o. I didn’t forget anything in Nigeria. I don’t miss Nigeria. I have put Nigeria behind me. Nigeria is part of my past. No coming back to Nigeria to stay. You can keep your rant to yourself. Anyone who has never left the shore of Nigeria to experience things by himself but rather listening to you is a fool I believe. Continue!

17 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by IbnIbrahim: 6:30am On Apr 28, 2018
drakeli:
Guy, who do you look like this? You storm every travel abroad trend spewing hate and ignorance about people living overseas especially America. The other day, you said all of us didn’t have $500 in our account and so we cannot afford flight ticket to come to Nigeria. I showed you my bank account balance to put you wrong and that not all Nigerians abroad fit into your stereotype of failure. That was like three months ago. If you care to know, I have like double that previous amount in my bank account today again. Be there and be going down in your hate. As for me o. I didn’t forget anything in Nigeria. I don’t miss Nigeria. I have put Nigeria behind me. Nigeria is part of my past. No coming back to Nigeria to stay. You can keep your rant to yourself. Anyone who has never left the shore of Nigeria to experience things by himself but rather listening to you is a fool I believe. Continue!

I can't agree less.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by IbnIbrahim: 6:32am On Apr 28, 2018
drakeli:

Just waiting for the time to jet out myself with my family.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Affordablerent: 6:51am On Apr 28, 2018
drakeli:

If you've truly put Nigeria behind you Boss, you won't be here

Pm me, if you ever need land in Lagos

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by MAURI: 9:55am On Apr 28, 2018
But, can I ask what happens when those individuals with rotten mentalities move abroad? Do they remain the same and sink or change their outlook and swim? If they do change abroad, why can't they do so at home?

That's a million dollar question. I remember I was on a flight from Lagos with a stop over in Frankfurt. You need to see the way people were acting so disorderly like illiterates. We got to Frankfurt and you need to see the way the same people started acting orderly and sane. I don't know if it's the naija environment but we change once we enter Nigeria.

I would like to start by commending the positive projections and ambitions you have for motherland. I am sure majority of us feel he same way. speaking for myself, I feel very passionate about this too.

The bolded above partly answers your “quoted” question. Let me just add something little to corroborate this, it is very simple; people require different skill-sets and behavior patterns to thrive in different settings. If you look at the prison system, violence (negative behavior) is what gets prisoners higher on the ladder of hierarchy.
Generally, negative behavior has become the norm in Nigeria. Look at the political landscape, look at our institutions of learning, look at the judicial system, the police force etc
The Chinese and Lebanese people you have sighted of being successful in Nigeria, do you think they are in Nigeria cos they love Nigeria? And I can tell you that the sort of illegal activities most of them engage in, they will never dare come close to half in their home countries cos they know the consequences.

Sighting having a family as part of the reasons for not taking the bold step to move to Nigeria and start the changes you proffer to me, is a lame excuse. If middle class Nigerians with families doing well in Nigeria can take the bold step and move abroad can do it, you can do it too.

Note, it is not everyone that remains in Nigeria that will make it, and neither is it everyone that moves abroad that will make it. This is a fact of life! You did mention that without taking the necessary risks, nothing happens / changes, I would say, let those who want to take the risk of traveling abroad do it, cos they will never know without taking the risk. This might even be the eye-opener they need to develop similar insight as you in terms of developing the urge to appreciate our culture, tradition and all the other positive things our country has to offer. And through this realizing how important it is for us to develop our country. Because shifting base presents people with the chance to see things differently. What you see in Nigeria, is that large majority of the people are just enduring and getting by in serious hardship, and too much endurance breaks people. That is why we have so many desperate people in our country. Despite this, I share part of you ambition, that there is always chances / opportunities to make progress.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by TheEnforcer: 11:11am On Apr 28, 2018
timesup234:
You are comparing Sudan with North America?Well ,this is the lowest of the like lows.I mean the last straw that breaks the Camels back.Your hypocrisy is as clearvas light of the day.No point replying you again.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by hotdealz(m): 6:38pm On Apr 28, 2018
peacengine:

We are three graduates, here in Naija all working, so what is your response? Your cousins are lazy yuths!

But seriously, black man is not too wise. If I earn a million here will I relocate because of light? Hahahaha I will move to where I can get good supply of light here, then kit my house with solar fully fitted and inverter backup running smoothly too.
Work pass work o, my brother.

90% of graduates working in Nigeria, Earn below 80k. cry

A Lady traveled to Dubai and got a job as a waitress. Her salary converted to Naira is above 120k monthly. Yet, free accommodation, free light, free food was provided for her. She is not even a graduate o. shocked

My brother make we leave Nigeria for politicians abeg cos, dem don swallow the country, na to digest am, shit am out remain. angry

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by gentleiphy: 10:22pm On Apr 28, 2018
drakeli:

Una weldone o...

There is a time in a mans life that he stops thinking about money and starts thinking about having access to quality life,having the most commonest basic things that keeps ones life healthy,being a little bit safe and having peace of mind.

when it comes to migration,from what i read here in all some peoples submission centered only on making money as the reason some leave Nigeria.I don't think that assertion is right. Okonjo Iweala would make $500k a month in Nigeria if she chose to live and work in Nigeria,but have we asked why she decided not to live in Nigeria with her family and i guess she is not even a middle class worker but a first class worker.

Secondly, have we asked what future our kids have in same Nigeria were education is only meant for the wealthy and politicians and jobs set aside for the longer legs?Truth be told most people will called middle class workers 80% came from the banking sector which did so well in providing a lot of graduating youths easily available jobs which they gladly accepted not because it reflected their academic background but out of not being unemployed and easy access to funds to meet their daily needs via salary which we commend the banks for stepping in where government has failed in providing job opportunities for the youths.That said..Abroad whichever side it is also is not paradise but it is near paradise as compared to what Nigeria has to offer.People have always argued that it is easier to make it in Nigeria than abroad which i agree totally,why cos we have lose ends,open holes,easy escape route to do things wrong and make money and that is even the contributory factor why Nigeria is as it is today..quest for anyhow money to show class.

I have seen many same middle class workers in Nigeria who relocated to different countries and suddenly rediscovered their real potentials and started making waves,they are many to be counted...at least statistics has it that Nigeria doctors in the US are among the best and in highest numbers,they were not born in the US,some left their jobs in Nigeria to migrate and found an enabling environment to flourish while their mates back home who they left are struggling to even pay their kids school fees as doctors,I have also seen those who are accountants come over to the US get serious and got the licenses needed and are heading finance unit of high profile companies while at the same time enjoying the environment Nigeria could not offer...Okonjo iweala as an example.

Each time this talk is raised,you here ignorant people sighting mortgage,auto finance and what not as a reason people find it hard to live in the western world forgetting that most people too in Nigeria live on loans from banks which they also pay off but come to think of it not every Nigeria in western world is a fool,so many run away from debts like credit cards and come back home to invest with what they have saved up.

I don't want to start comparing Nigeria with western world because Nigeria has not even started as a country but the truth is wherever you live in any country whether your country of birth or if the enabling environment is provided you will discover you can succeed in all you do with hard work.But has Nigeria provided the enabling environment to make people want to stay back,yes middle class are leaving because even though they make the money they still need to fly to the western world to seek medical attention,they still need to send their kids abroad for better education,they still need to buy inverters to get light,they still need to fence their houses with high fences with series of security locks to stay safe,they still need to sink boreholes to provide water for themselves,they still need to do estate meetings to contribute funds to fill up potholes,they still need to stay in horrible traffic with stress to get to office while at times being vulnerable to area boys while on traffic,they still need to contend with careless deaths caused my trailers and tankers..see life is not all about money,even though money is needed to sustain life,,,but how many south Africans travel out of south Africa,how many send their kids abroad for school or send their kids to Nigeria for education,they have access to medicare,quality medicare,Nigerians even go as far as Gambia for education,Ghana,Philippines..how many of Gambians seek admissions in Nigerian schools,how many Ghanaian seek admissions in Nigeria schools the way we flock to Ghana,we must know that something is not right with Nigeria.

All we see are Nigeria politicians flying abroad to celebrate birthday parties,all we see are environment where human life is not worth more than that of an animal,all we see is a society where people just get killed and its normal to everybody.That is not the country most middle class that are leaving wish to be in..this goes beyond money.I also agree totally with those that said most Nigerians also arrive abroad and get useless...it is not limited to only in abroad,but so many middle class who arrived Canada reassess themselves,took the opportunity and so many within 3 yrs owned a franchise in Canada because it has the enabling structure.I know of a Nigerian who had degree in Agronomy but worked in the bank in Nigeria before arriving Canada,he came and got back to what he trained for and had govt back up and today he is one great rich farmer in Western Canada employing even the white Canadians and is fulfilled pursuing what he trained for and still living life.

Finally,if you have opportunity to leave Nigeria please do but do it legally and know what you are leaving for but if you don't have the opportunity of leaving you can only remain and keep praying and hoping for the best.The world is all about migration from time,almost everybody migrated from somewhere.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 29, 2018
All this selfish Nigerians living in diaspora. You guys should keep your pity for yourselves, we don't need it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

That was how one self-centered Nairalander sent me a private message, just to block me on WhatsApp 2 days later. You guys are feeling you have escaped, arrived in paradise but I bet that your siblings and cousins are wallowing in penury. Nigeria will be great again
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by timesup234: 11:07am On Apr 29, 2018
radiokilla:
All this selfish Nigerians living in diaspora. You guys should keep your pity for yourselves, we don't need it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

That was how one self-centered Nairalander sent me a private message, just to block me on WhatsApp 2 days later. You guys are feeling you have escaped, arrived in paradise but I bet that your siblings and cousins are wallowing in penury. Nigeria will be great again

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by TheCongo2: 10:55pm On Apr 29, 2018
Sallygold:
I also want to relocate, I don't have a good paying job, so salary is poor. Saving gradually for it. I dont knw the process involved or how to get agent to process this, I am considering Australia. Please help on how I can go about it.

Please don't involved any agent. They will destroy your life.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by ell77(f): 7:41am On Apr 30, 2018
MAURI:

That's a million dollar question. I remember I was on a flight from Lagos with a stop over in Frankfurt. You need to see the way people were acting so disorderly like illiterates. We got to Frankfurt and you need to see the way the same people started acting orderly and sane. I don't know if it's the naija environment but we change once we enter Nigeria.

I would like to start by commending the positive projections and ambitions you have for motherland. I am sure majority of us feel he same way. speaking for myself, I feel very passionate about this too.

The bolded above partly answers your “quoted” question. Let me just add something little to corroborate this, it is very simple; people require different skill-sets and behavior patterns to thrive in different settings. If you look at the prison system, violence (negative behavior) is what gets prisoners higher on the ladder of hierarchy.
Generally, negative behavior has become the norm in Nigeria. Look at the political landscape, look at our institutions of learning, look at the judicial system, the police force etc
The Chinese and Lebanese people you have sighted of being successful in Nigeria, do you think they are in Nigeria cos they love Nigeria? And I can tell you that the sort of illegal activities most of them engage in, they will never dare come close to half in their home countries cos they know the consequences.

Sighting having a family as part of the reasons for not taking the bold step to move to Nigeria and start the changes you proffer to me, is a lame excuse. If middle class Nigerians with families doing well in Nigeria can take the bold step and move abroad can do it, you can do it too.

Note, it is not everyone that remains in Nigeria that will make it, and neither is it everyone that moves abroad that will make it. This is a fact of life! You did mention that without taking the necessary risks, nothing happens / changes, I would say, let those who want to take the risk of traveling abroad do it, cos they will never know without taking the risk. This might even be the eye-opener they need to develop similar insight as you in terms of developing the urge to appreciate our culture, tradition and all the other positive things our country has to offer. And through this realizing how important it is for us to develop our country. Because shifting base presents people with the chance to see things differently. What you see in Nigeria, is that large majority of the people are just enduring and getting by in serious hardship, and too much endurance breaks people. That is why we have so many desperate people in our country. Despite this, I share part of you ambition, that there is always chances / opportunities to make progress.

I agree with much of what you have said. But not the bolded part. Perhaps you do not understand why I mention my family, but it is to do with basic planning and risk management - this is one of the main points I have made.

Many have travelled abroad without adequate planning and that means they have not been able to manage risks well. Some have travelled abroad and were happy even when risks materialised because the upsides were more important to them (money and infrastructure etc). Every man and woman is called to plan well for their own home. You cannot decide what is a good plan for my own home as you don't know the risks I identified and the plan to combat them. I have analyzed the risks of Nigeria (the ones I know of anyway). If I was single the risks and things I would have to plan for would be far far less. As I am not single the plan is more complex. For each of my family members, I must put the correct things in place and will move once my plan is finalized. Also, as a wife, I don't act alone. I play a supportive role to my husband who ultimately is the head of my household. If you find this lame - so be it. God gave me this family and I take them and my vocation as wife and mother seriously. Not all wives and mothers do, I know. If Nigeria is as bad as you claim it is (and I have not disagreed with you), it is an intelligent thing to plan if you have children and a baby especially (even more so if you have identified any health needs that need to be met). You yourself quoted the health sector and how many doctors are leaving Nigeria and making waves in USA. This is not good for anyone who wants to live in Nigeria is it - unless, they are planning to build or invest in hospitals back home like the Indians are.

My own personal opinion is life as a whole is planning. You see it all the time, those who plan well in their youth are often better of as they grow old. Of course there are many exceptions, but if you don't plan then what are you expecting to happen? It is some people's nature to fly by the seat of their pants and for others taking a well planned and considered approach is the only option. I believe whatever your general nature for big moves/decisions like this, success is closely linked to the quality of your plan and preparation.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by wholesomegrace: 9:03am On May 09, 2018
Affordablerent:

If you've truly put Nigeria behind you Boss, you won't be here

Pm me, if you ever need land in Lagos

Sorry o, there goes another prospective customer to the abroad. Why won't you rant grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

45 Ghanaians Deported From Nigeria / Ogudu, Gra . Lagos / General Singapore Visa Equires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.