Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,803 members, 7,806,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? (3714 Views)

5 Interesting Reasons Why You Should Marry A Typical Nigerian Woman. / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / Must A Successful Woman Be Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by IAH(f): 11:18pm On Jun 10, 2005
African men are known to be egoistic and it is also known that they don't like a woman to be higher than them.
Guys on this forum, can you marry a more successful woman? I mean a woman that is wayyyyy richer than you. For example, maybe she has 2 cars while you are still perching on okada all around or maybe she already has her own establishment while you are still struggling to get a job. Can you say "I do" to a woman who will foot 99% of your wedding bills and even buy the suit you will wear on that day?
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by legry(m): 4:17pm On Jun 11, 2005
i dont plan to be poor or not sucessfull so yeah i can
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by jogego(m): 6:34pm On Jun 11, 2005
The fact that she is more successful today does not mean that in a year's time I wont be more successful than her. What happens if I am even more successful than her today and her career takes a leap tomorrow? Will I on that basis divorce her?

If you are man enough, then no matter how 'big' the madam, you can control her. The house is the husband's jurisdiction and it should remain so no matter what.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Seun(m): 6:49pm On Jun 11, 2005
If you are man enough, then no matter how 'big' the madam, you can control her.

Something about this statement makes me very uneasy. What happens when you're trying to "control" a woman who doesn't want to be "controlled". Is it divorce, separation, or 'merely' unhappy marriage?

Am I right to assume that women are not babies who need "control" by their husbands?
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by jogego(m): 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2005
Seun:

If you are man enough, then no matter how 'big' the madam, you can control her.

Something about this statement makes me very uneasy.  What happens when you're trying to "control" a woman who doesn't want to be "controlled".  Is it divorce, separation, or 'merely' unhappy marriage?

Am I right to assume that women are not [I]babies[/I] who need "control" by their husbands?

the above statement is made in an ideal situation. In any case, as my grandmother would say( GOd rest her sould) what you wont take as a rich man, you reject it right from when u r still poor. The success or otherwise of the marraige is made long b4 the wedding.If you dont take time to study and understand who you are getting married to, then you will hastily retreat from the wedding.

Another thing you need to understand is that when I say control, I dont mean that you are marrying a slave. God knows I cant stand a woman who doesnt have her own mind. But when u understand ur partner, you will know how you get her to do what you want.

What about a scenario where you are studying, and your wife is the one paying the bills and maintaining the family?
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by IAH(f): 8:46pm On Jun 11, 2005
jogego:

The fact that she is more successful today does not mean that in a year's time I wont be more successful than her. What happens if I am even more successful than her today and her career takes a leap tomorrow? Will I on that basis divorce her?

If you are man enough, then no matter how 'big' the madam, you can control her. The house is the husband's jurisdiction and it should remain so no matter what.

This is so true...
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by matrix(m): 10:04am On Jul 06, 2005
if she don't have a big mouth and she is respectful y not...But trust me....she cannot remain richer than me...Trust me wink
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Greatpeter(m): 10:14am On Jul 06, 2005
Jogejo has a point there. I think I will support that.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by matrix(m): 11:11am On Jul 06, 2005
....Different strokes for different folks..
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by pkrix(m): 11:59am On Jul 06, 2005
Y not? I have always said it, the basis for my marriage will never be "who is willing to marry me? It will be who I love and who loves me."

She may be richer than I am or whatever but I will marry her if the above basis for my marriage is intact..
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by matrix(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2005
...marriage ....are u marrying coz she is rich...that can be a good reason, also a very bad one...but at the end of the day, do what would put a smile on ya face
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Ka: 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2005
I don't think it's a case of relative but absolute wealth. In other words, it's not about whether she's richer than me, but about if I have enough wealth to contribute to support our family. If I can, then I don't care how much money she has, as long as we can truly communicate with and understand each other.

Of course, there may be other issues related to marrying a very rich person. For example, I'm pretty [b]un[/b]materialistic - you're not likely to find me chasing after the latest this or that even if I have the money to afford it, because my spending decisions are driven less by fashion and more by utility. However, it may be the case that because the woman is very rich, she may be used to a much 'higher-maintenance' lifestyle and this could cause friction between us.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 07, 2005
Yes y not ,if u guys understand urselves perfectly well.
Marriage is all about partnership if she more succesful, fine dat doesnt stop ur marriage or consider it,wat if she became more successful after ur wedding,wuld becos of dat divorce her,no of course.
Its all abt partnership n understanding btwn both parties
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by matrix(m): 5:46pm On Jul 07, 2005
...Yes I can.... cool.....Nothing dey happen
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by eveseh(f): 4:49pm On Apr 25, 2006
if u love her u can marry grin grin grin grin grin her
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by pace(m): 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2006
what do we mean by successful woman?does it mean a woman of substance like madonna or poor mother theresa?i think bein successful is a relative word
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Busta(f): 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2006
I can marry a more successful man!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2006
well if i see that she loves me, and i love her for her and not cos she's rich, u bet i'm taking her to the altar cool cool
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by sammiek1(m): 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2006
of couse, i can. I know i am haeding for greatness, so having a successful wife as a partner will complement me.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by DaHitler(m): 8:19pm On Jul 25, 2006
I can't. Maybe if its only like 5 percent more, but no more than that. That means if I can't make more than her by working 2 jobs, she just isn't for me.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by otokx(m): 11:41pm On Jul 25, 2006
yes i can do all things
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Nosu(m): 12:11am On Jul 26, 2006
y not, if she understand what marriage is. that if she can be submissive, respectful and humble.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Seun(m): 12:16am On Jul 26, 2006
I don't want my wife to be submissive, because I should not be dominant.

I don't want my wife to be meek because I should not be haughty.

But I want my wife to be respectful to me just as I am respectful to her.

"Humble and submissive" women are disgusting. I want a woman that's really alive!
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by LiquidMind(m): 12:42am On Jul 26, 2006
Only if she is 100% loyal totally to the Lord All Mighty. then i can marry. if not. forget it
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by hotangel2(f): 1:27am On Jul 26, 2006
Seun:

I don't want my wife to be submissive, because I should not be dominant.

I don't want my wife to be meek because I should not be haughty.

But I want my wife to be respectful to me just as I am respectful to her.

"Humble and submissive" women are disgusting. I want a woman that's really alive!

Good one. I like that. Seriously!!!
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Skidoc(m): 1:28am On Jul 26, 2006
Why not? It's cool. cool cool
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by soulpatrol(f): 1:32am On Jul 26, 2006
there are some women out there that are competitive when it comes to comparing what their husbands/boyfriends make. its not only men that feel "threatened" (for lack of a better word) by what their partners make. as a woman, i would want to make as much as my husband, if not more, why not? but i think the main issue is what comes as a result of that. most women tend to become domineering and bossy once they are in that position and men dont like that. there should be some form of respect between 2 people irrespective of whos making more money. with more money comes a sense of power and its up to the person to control it and not let it get out of hand, man or woman.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by asscend: 1:42am On Jul 26, 2006
It takes success to recognise another success. That a woman has more money than a man is not a taboo. As  for marrying a woman with more money than you-- Its great and men should thank God because over 60 percent of the expenses will be taken care of by the lady. So u can go and buy presents for the kids and wife with out thinking other things are being neglected. For a rich person it wont be "how much the gift cost" but the "thought" behind the gift. Marrying a lady richer than u does not mean u don't have money. Remember u have become one and as a result her money automatically becomes urs. Thats the reality in marriage.  The question is what kind of Marriage do u want. God's model or Contrat model.  For contract the woman keeps all her belongings but when God joins u, u become one. Period. So guys go ahead and marry Mrs Rich. God has brought her ur way so u don't have to struggle through life.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by diddy4(m): 1:59am On Jul 26, 2006
i aint got no problem wid it as far as she wont try to tell me she is the boss of me cuzz dats when i will tell her i got a koko and she aint got nada. ones we are happy, it dont matter who is richer dan who but imm@ be richer though. so help me God. Amen.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by mrmetoo(m): 2:00am On Jul 26, 2006
For a smart man, that could be to your advantage. Many successful men has been at a point in their life set up by a richer (or more connected) wife and later become the breadwinner. An example is even my own boss. So I can def marry a richer woman you just have to be smart about it and not wait around for her to bring money to support you.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by Badman888(m): 5:32am On Jul 26, 2006
Its not bad, but it depends on the attitude of the person if she wants to be dominering towards me because of her cash, then thats a NO. Whatever the situation of cash marriage isnt supposed to be based on the cash just understanding between both partners. The guy can even become more successful than her. Just like David Becham wasnt as rich as victoria when they got married, but who can compare them now.
Re: Can You Marry A More Successful Woman? by hopey(m): 5:36am On Jul 26, 2006
yeah, i think i can marry a woman richer than me , marriage is all about love though the money is important too  but its just all about love. and guys please how can i post a new topic here on nairaland, can somebody teach me how by writing me a private mail or take hisor her time to write me on hop2021@yahoo.com, i will really appreciate it.thx

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Make Your House A Home With Gtcreations / I Need Your Financial Help Concerning my education once again / Should I Confess ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.