Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Child's Bank Savings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child's Bank Savings (1747 Views)

She Divorced Her Husband For Wasting Her Life Savings Of N4.5million / Wife Gifts Her Husband Her Entire Savings (pics/video) / Nigerian Man Shares Story Of Hw His Wife's Piggy Bank Savings Saved Them From... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 7:57am On Apr 25, 2018
Dears, Pls I want to find out the best bank for openning children savings account
Re: Child's Bank Savings by emeijeh(m): 8:01am On Apr 25, 2018
ugreat:
Dears,
Pls I want to find out the best bank for openning children savings account

It's very easy in firstbank.

Give it a try
Re: Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 8:44am On Apr 25, 2018
emeijeh:

It's very easy in firstbank.

Give it a try
What's their interest rate like?
Re: Child's Bank Savings by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 25, 2018
ugreat:
Dears,
Pls I want to find out the best bank for openning children savings account

If the intention is to keep it for them long-term, don't do that. Invest the funds for them instead. The inflation rate in Nigeria is much higher than the interest rate on savings. Financially speaking, it is just not worth it, because by the time they are old enough to spend it, whatever money you have saved for them will be worthless. Think of buying blue chip shares instead, or shares that have good future prospects.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by kevoh(m): 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2018
Farmerforlife:

If the intention is to keep it for them long-term, don't do that. Invest the funds for them instead. The inflation rate in Nigeria is much higher than the interest rate on savings. Financially speaking, it is just not worth it, because by the time they are old enough to spend it, whatever money you have saved for them will be worthless. Think of buying blue chip shares instead, or shares that have good future prospects.
Could you explain further, what if the parent does not have the bulk sum for shares but can afford to keep aside 5k to 10k monthly for the child. What do you advise?
Re: Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2018
Farmerforlife:

What are the possible investment opportunities I have
Re: Child's Bank Savings by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 25, 2018
kevoh:

Could you explain further, what if the parent does not have the bulk sum for shares but can afford to keep aside 5k to 10k monthly for the child. What do you advise?

ugreat:

What are the possible investment opportunities I have

There are many investments that one can make with 5- 10k monthly. I would suggest that you seek professional advice on different forms of long-term portfolio investments, educational funds, and/or child trust funds in Nigeria, or at least google them to get an idea of what it entails and which institutions offer what. It is also a myth that investing in shares require 'bulk sums', you can find stockbrokers to start off with as little as 10k.
Good luck.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by emeijeh(m): 9:15pm On Apr 25, 2018
ugreat:

What's their interest rate like?

Sorry been busy at work.... It's 4.2%pa
Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 9:29am On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

Iam never a fan of this 'why not invest the money for them'. To me, this is just theory. As somebody has asked, what if a parent does not have the bulk money for investment?. Let us take shares for example. How many shares of a blue chip company can 10k buy or you want the person to go and buy shares of companies like DAAR communication and those other companies that came in during the era of the 'dubious' IPO. I have a children savings account for my kids that i put in a fixed amount every month. I have been doing that since they were born. Last year, I moved the money to 364-day NTB and that conveniently paid their school bills. I was more interested in the preservation of the capital and not interest. I could also have been doing MMF but i wanted to have a total control. Once the current build up in the account gets to another reasonable level, i might consider doing an FGN bond so that the quarterly interest payment will self fund the account.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child's Bank Savings by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 26, 2018
NL1960:

Iam never a fan of this 'why not invest the money for them'. To me, this is just theory. As somebody has asked, what if a parent does not have the bulk money for investment?. Let us take shares for example. How many shares of a blue chip company can 10k buy or you want the person to go and buy shares of companies like DAAR communication and those other companies that came in during the era of the 'dubious' IPO. I have a children savings account for my kids that i put in a fixed amount every month. I have been doing that since they were born. Last year, I moved the money to 364-day NTB and that conveniently paid their school bills. I was more interested in the preservation of the capital and not interest. I could also have been doing MMF but i wanted to have a total control. Once the current build up in the account gets to another reasonable level, i might consider doing an FGN bond so that the quarterly interest payment will self fund the account.

You invested in Treasury bills, and are considering more investments in FG bonds, yet you are not a fan of 'why not invest the money for them'? I do not know how long you have been paying in fixed amounts monthly, but compute how much more you would have had if you had invested in treasury bills from the beginning instead of just keeping the money in a savings account. In a country with double digit inflation, you were not 'maintaining the capital' as you seem to believe. Your capital was losing its purchase power throughout the period that you held it in the savings account.

I do not generally like giving specific investment advice in a faceless forum. Different people have different needs, and today's investment might become tomorrow's loss, so it is always preferable to seek professional advice in person, and to have regular contact with your fund manager.

As for the 10k and buying shares, I believe that the questioner asked about investing 10k per month, not a one-off 10k investment as you imply. Nor is it necessary to start off from blue chip company shares. For the long term, and with a good fund manager/ stockbroker, one can gradually build up to them.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 11:51am On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

You invested in Treasury bills, and are considering more investments in FG bonds, yet you are not a fan of 'why not invest the money for them'? I do not know how long you have been paying in fixed amounts monthly, but compute how much more you would have had if you had invested in treasury bills from the beginning instead of just keeping the money in a savings account. In a country with double digit inflation, you were not 'maintaining the capital' as you seem to believe. Your capital was losing its purchase power throughout the period that you held it in the savings account.

I do not generally like giving specific investment advice in a faceless forum. Different people have different needs, and today's investment might become tomorrow's loss, so it is always preferable to seek professional advice in person, and to have regular contact with your fund manager.

As for the 10k and buying shares, I believe that the questioner asked about investing 10k per month, not a one-off 10k investment as you imply. Nor is it necessary to start off from blue chip company shares. For the long term, and with a good fund manager/ stockbroker, one can gradually build up to them.

Go and read my post again. I build the amounts gradually in savings before doing the investment and not doing investment instead of saving. People always say why saving the amounts, you should invest and i and somebody else ask if you will be investing the little little amount. This is not the first time iam reading this. There are some people that would have been putting 1k aside in an account for their kids but they are being told of inflation. Who told you that it is only savings that is affected by inflation?. Btw, you mean if i have 10k, i should just dash and buy NTB or dash and buy shares?. That is not my style. I also have some of their funds in shares and i targeted stocks that have good divided paying policy. As for the fund managers, you will be surprised that some of them do not even know jack about fund management. How many fund managers will accept 10k from you to manage for them?. The best you can do with that is MMF and i chose not to do it as i can manage my funds myself.

2 Likes

Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 11:55am On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

kevoh:

Farmerforlife:

This is the trails.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 26, 2018
NL1960:

Go and read my post again. I build the amounts gradually in savings before doing the investment and not doing investment instead of saving. People always say why saving the amounts, you should invest and i and somebody else ask if you will be investing the little little amount. This is not the first time iam reading this. There are some people that would have been putting 1k aside in an account for their kids but they are being told of inflation. Who told you that it is only savings that is affected by inflation?. Btw, you mean if i have 10k, i should just dash and buy NTB or dash and buy shares?. That is not my style. I also have some of their funds in shares and i targeted stocks that have good divided paying policy. As for the fund managers, you will be surprised that some of them do not even know jack about fund management. How many fund managers will accept 10k from you to manage for them?. The best you can do with that is MMF and i chose not to do it as i can manage my funds myself.

Please stop creating your own argument points and answering yourself. The person I responded to specifically said 5k to 10k per month, and even the most financially ignorant person should be able to compute that investing is far better way to go than saving for a measly 4% interest return. Also, what your style is, and how you invest is not what was asked here. Even so, you talk about having treasury bills and targetting stocks that pay dividends, yet you are arguing against investment. I do not understand how you seem to be overlooking all the contradictions in your statements.

2 Likes

Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 2:41pm On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

Please stop creating your own argument points and answering yourself. The person I responded to specifically said 5k to 10k per month, and even the most financially ignorant person should be able to compute that investing is far better way to go than saving for a measly 4% interest return. Also, what your style is, and how you invest is not what was asked here. Even so, you talk about having treasury bills and targetting stocks that pay dividends, yet you are arguing against investment. I do not understand how you seem to be overlooking all the contradictions in your statements.

Can you please educate me on how to invest 5k to 10k on a monthly basis so that the returns will outstrip the current inflation rate or the returns will outstrip the measly 4% savings interest rate?.

The problem with people who say invest the small money instead of saving it is that they do not always give what such a small amount is to be invested on. I have given what i invested mine on after consistently saving to a 'reasonable' amount. Now tell us what to invest the small amount of 5k to 10k on as i want to lean and i also want to be beating the inflation rate on a monthly basis.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 2:43pm On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

Iam not arguing against investment. What iam arguing against is 'do not put in savings account because rate is measly but instead invest the small amount'. Invest the small amount on what?.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by Nobody: 3:01pm On Apr 26, 2018
NL1960:

Can you please educate me on how to invest 5k to 10k on a monthly basis so that the returns will outstrip the current inflation rate or the returns will outstrip the measly 4% savings interest rate?.

The problem with people who say invest the small money instead of saving it is that they do not always give what such a small amount is to be invested on. I have given what i invested mine on after consistently saving to a 'reasonable' amount. Now tell us what to invest the small amount of 5k to 10k on as i want to lean and i also want to be beating the inflation rate on a monthly basis.

I have already told you that I do not believe in giving investment advice online without familiarity with the investor and his needs. If you are really interested in being an investment analyst or even a backyard critic, and cannot bother about going through the process of obtaining at least a CFA, CIPM, or CIFIAN qualifications, then seek professional advice, rather than relying on your supposed knowledge. There is much more to sound financial planning than typing out abbreviations like MMF and TBN.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 4:14pm On Apr 26, 2018
Farmerforlife:

I have already told you that I do not believe in giving investment advice online without familiarity with the investor and his needs. If you are really interested in being an investment analyst or even a backyard critic, and cannot bother about going through the process of obtaining at least a CFA, CIPM, or CIFIAN qualifications, then seek professional advice, rather than relying on your supposed knowledge. There is much more to sound financial planning than typing out abbreviations like MMF and TBN.

All these grammar and quoting CFA, CIPM or CIFIAN just because somebody says he wants to be putting between 5k to 10k aside every month for his kid?. Several financial institutions have collapsed and they were all manned by people having all these. I always tell people that there was common sense before book. Books that were read to get CFA, CIPM or CIFIAN were written from experiences of people with common sense. Which professional qualifications did Isaac Newton get before discovering his theories or which professional course did Pythagoras get before discovery. Whenever, you take on a so-called Nigeria financial expert, he starts quoting certificates. Several banks that collapsed several years ago were being manned and even audited by people with CFA, ACA, ACIB, CIPM, CIFIAN and yet they could not detect the rot in the books.

Just to tell me how 5k to 10k can be invested monthly to beat the double digit Nigeria inflation or to beat the measly 4% savings interest, you are saying i should go and get CFA, CIPM or CIFIAN.

2 Likes

Re: Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 2:15pm On Apr 27, 2018
Chai, you gurus ended up confusing a young parent with financial grammars. Abeg make una split this grammar to common man knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 2:25pm On Apr 27, 2018
Farmerforlife:

There are many investments that one can make with 5- 10k monthly. I would suggest that you seek professional advice on different forms of long-term portfolio investments, educational funds, and/or child trust funds in Nigeria, or at least google them to get an idea of what it entails and which institutions offer what. It is also a myth that investing in shares require 'bulk sums', you can find stockbrokers to start off with as little as 10k.
Good luck.
Recommend one for me. online or offline.
Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 2:54pm On Apr 27, 2018
ugreat:
Chai, you gurus ended up confusing a young parent with financial grammars. Abeg make una split this grammar to common man knowledge.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Let me break down in simple way for you what i did. Iam going to use 5k. Mind you, as i have said earlier, inflation rate was of no concern to me. What i was concern with was 'little drops of water making a mighty ocean'.

(1) When any of my kids was born, i immediately opened a child savings account for him/her. You can do like wise and pay in all the monetary gifts given to the child as a starting amount in the account.

(2) I then decided on an amount to be putting inside it every month. To achieve this, i setup an automatic auto transfer on my account that drops every month. I made it automatic so as not to forget.

(3) There are times i do not have money in the account and the transfers fails but i ensure that once i have money, the first thing i do is to pay all the arrears into the account

(4) Let us assume that you have made a commitment of 5k every month and you started in January, this gives you 60k at the end of the year.

(5) You can decide to leave this 60k in the account and continue the process meaning that after two years, you have 120k in the account.

(6) With the 60k, you can decide to buy stocks. When trying to buy stocks for the child, do not look at it that you want to be trading stocks with the money. Look at stocks that have the principle of 'if it does not sh*t, it will v*mit'. Moreover, stock is a long term investment. This means if it does not rise for you to get capital appreciation, it will pay dividends.

(7) If you decide to do (6), look at the particular stocks that are leaders in each sector especially the banking, food and beverage sectors. People must bank. People must chop food. People much drink beverage(beer is classified as beverage).

(8.) For me, when stocks were down and TB rates became high at 18%, i sold some and move the money along what was in the accounts to TB at between 17%-18%. The amount realized could conveniently have paid for the one year contribution to the account but i used it for something else that concerned the child.

(9) You can decide to also buy a land in an undeveloped area but as iam not familiar with land especially in this Lagos, i did not go into that.

(10) You can also look at FG Bonds or FG Savings Bonds. These pay interest quarterly.

(11) You can also approach any of the Asset Management Companies where they do Money Market Fund or Mutual Funds and they allow for periodic deposit of any amount into the account.

(12) If you want quick quick or sharp sharp returns that will beat the current inflation rate, you can put the money in MMM. grin cheesy

Btw, no mind me o. I do not have CPA, CIPM or CIFIAN. Na the common sense wen i use for my own be this. grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Child's Bank Savings by ugreat(m): 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2018
NL1960:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Let me break down in simple way for you what i did. Iam going to use 5k. Mind you, as i have said earlier, inflation rate was of no concern to me. What i was concern with was 'little drops of water making a mighty ocean'.

(1) When any of my kids was born, i immediately opened a child savings account for him/her. You can do like wise and pay in all the monetary gifts given to the child as a starting amount in the account.

(2) I then decided on an amount to be putting inside it every month. To achieve this, i setup an automatic auto transfer on my account that drops every month. I made it automatic so as not to forget.

(3) There are times i do not have money in the account and the transfers fails but i ensure that once i have money, the first thing i do is to pay all the arrears into the account

(4) Let us assume that you have made a commitment of 5k every month and you started in January, this gives you 60k at the end of the year.

(5) You can decide to leave this 60k in the account and continue the process meaning that after two years, you have 120k in the account.

(6) With the 60k, you can decide to buy stocks. When trying to buy stocks for the child, do not look at it that you want to be trading stocks with the money. Look at stocks that have the principle of 'if it does not sh*t, it will v*mit'. Moreover, stock is a long term investment. This means if it does not rise for you to get capital appreciation, it will pay dividends.

(7) If you decide to do (6), look at the particular stocks that are leaders in each sector especially the banking, food and beverage sectors. People must bank. People must chop food. People much drink beverage(beer is classified as beverage).

(8.) For me, when stocks were down and TB rates became high at 18%, i sold some and move the money along what was in the accounts to TB at between 17%-18%. The amount realized could conveniently have paid for the one year contribution to the account but i used it for something else that concerned the child.

(9) You can decide to also buy a land in an undeveloped area but as iam not familiar with land especially in this Lagos, i did not go into that.

(10) You can also look at FG Bonds or FG Savings Bonds. These pay interest quarterly.

(11) You can also approach any of the Asset Management Companies where they do Money Market Fund or Mutual Funds and they allow for periodic deposit of any amount into the account.

(12) If you want quick quick or sharp sharp returns that will beat the current inflation rate, you can put the money in MMM. grin cheesy

Btw, no mind me o. I do not have CPA, CIPM or CIFIAN. Na the common sense wen i use for my own be this. grin

Common sense no common Bros. I appreciate you big time

1 Like

Re: Child's Bank Savings by NL1960: 11:54am On Apr 29, 2018
ugreat:

Common sense no common Bros. I appreciate you big time

No forget to tell us the 5k investment that the CFA, CIPM and CIFIAN guru told you offline as i want to also do this 5k investment that beats the double digit inflation rate. Who no like better thing?. grin
Re: Child's Bank Savings by Lovelygbems: 1:35pm On Oct 08, 2021
We do flexible and affordable children education plans......

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Available Balance And Ledger Balance / Nigerian Man And His Caucasian Wife Rock Traditional Outfits For Their Wedding / I Ask Him Watin His Wife Born And He Wasn't Proud/happy To Say It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.