Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,416 members, 7,800,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Do Theists Love Faith, Or Hate It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Theists Love Faith, Or Hate It? (382 Views)

Faith Or Foolishness? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do Theists Love Faith, Or Hate It? by chemystery: 10:25am On Apr 25, 2018
I think God-believers have a love-hate relationship with faith. When I tell them faith cannot help decide what is true and what is false, some insist that everyone uses faith every day. They might tell me, for example, I use faith every time I sit on a chair. They could not be more wrong.

When I sit on a chair, I don't know, or believe, it won't collapse. But I have enough experience of sitting on chairs to have high confidence that they usually bear my weight. I do not believe they ALL will, nor do I believe the chair I'm about to sit on will be safe--I simply take a chance every time I sit down and I know that every now and again, a chair WILL collapse.

The theist uses faith to believe God does exist, not that God MIGHT exist. Worse still, I have incontrovertible evidence that almost all chairs I sit on bear my weight, theists have no evidence at all that their gods exist. They just have faith.

But I wonder why theists seek to imply that everyone, including atheists, use faith? It can't be because they think faith is a reliable way of working out what is true--they are not out to congratulate atheists for being smart!

I can only conclude theists recognise that faith is worthless nonsense, and wish to excuse themselves on the grounds that we all rely on worthless nonsense, so they are no worse than we are!

Some theists go even further. They say atheists have MORE faith than theists; theists sometimes say they don't have enough faith to be an atheist. Of course, this is fully absurd. You need no faith at all to be an atheist. Listen to the reasons theists give for believing their gods exist. If you find their reasons are bad, you won't believe in their gods. You will be an atheist, and it took no faith whatsoever.

But this is the odd thing, if faith is a good thing, then it must be better to have more faith rather than less! Of course, theists do not use this argument to complement atheists. They use it to disparage them but, in so doing, they implicitly admit that believing things on faith is very stupid.

Well, I agree. It is.

- Bill Flavell

1 Like

Re: Do Theists Love Faith, Or Hate It? by scarramenga: 10:26am On Apr 25, 2018
ask your father

1 Like

Re: Do Theists Love Faith, Or Hate It? by hopefulLandlord: 9:08am On Apr 26, 2018
Nice!

It really is a lovehate relationship

whether or not someone has faith in something has very little to do with the truth, and it is my intention to believe only things which are first true, and not to first believe them and then try to wish them into being true.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ofm Rhema For Living Daily Devotional 03/05/2018 Thursday / You Must Bring Your Genital For Test Before You Can Marry'- RCCG Marriage Rules / How Your Believing Can Affect Your Receiving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.