Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher (6811 Views)

3 SEO Mistakes You Should Avoid / 10 SEO Mistakes Which Affect Your Blog Ranking / 10 Wrong SEO Mistakes Every Blogger Must Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 7:14am On Apr 26, 2018
12 SEO Mistakes to avoid highlights some important aspect of SEO you shouldn't overlook or ignore. Be it Onsite, Offsite or Technical SEO, anything SEO or any aspect of SEO should be taken seriously by every website owner as SEO determines whether your website appears or not on natural search result.

1) No Sitemap for your website and blog
One of the ways to let the search engines know about the existence of your website/blog, is through your site sitemap. We have two types of sitemaps one for the human eyes (HTML Sitemap) and the other for search engine (XML Sitemap).

Creating and submitting your sitemap to search engines like Google and Bing doesn’t guarantee anything like ranking for your site or pages, but doing so is a sure way of getting your website and blog content noticed quickly.

Read: https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/how-to-generate-or-create-xml-sitemap-for-your-website

2) Not paying attention to your site metadata

Ignoring your page/post title (which happens to be the first thing a user pays attention to whenever your page/post is returned in search engine result pages) and description is a crime.

Your page/post title should contain your target keyword and also give your target audience reasons to click through to your page/post.

Whereas the meta description have no direct influence on your Onsite SEO fortune but it still offers indirect influence by enabling the user have a glance at what the page content is all about and if it fits purpose or not.

I personally read through the description of returned pages, before deciding to click or not. Here ( your page/post meta description ) aside from your target keyword, you must write it in a way that will persuade your users to click through.

3) No header tags
Outside your page title, the header tags especially your page <H1> is a very important OnPage SEO ranking factor while the others like <H2>, plays an important role in the structure and organization arrangement of your page/blog post.

The rule is that you make sure that your page/post <H1> tag reflect exactly what your page or blog post is all about including having the page blog post targeted keyword in it.

Aside from using the <H2> tag to properly structure your page/blog post content, also make sure that it contains a variant of your page/blog post targeted keyword in it.

4) Slow loading times

Speed is one of the SEO factors one needs to pay attention to both on mobile and desktop. With so many tools available for easy identification and resolving of website speed issues, one shouldn’t fail foul of this.

Simply test your website using any of these tools ( Pingdom, GTmetrix, Google PageSpeed Insight and your normal Chrome Browser Dev Tool ).

Some common issues that normally affects website speed includes

• Render blocking JavaScript and CSS files.
• Lack of cache.
• Oversize images and multimedia files.
• And not making use of CDN (Content Delivery Network) were necessary

The test tools normally highlight these issues in a comprehensive fashion, stating also possible solutions to them. All you need do is to follow their suggestions and resolve your site speed related issues.

5) None optimized images

Having an optimized image in your site pages and blog posts involves couple of things.

• First it involves it having an appropriate name, a name that reflects what the page and post is all about and not just any name.
• It involves it having an appropriate size. You can’t just throw an image with any size into your page or blog post.
• It must have an appropriate ‘ALT’ attribute specified for it. This is very important considering that search engines don’t read images the way we do, it needs the alt tag to understand what your image is all about.
• For the sake of the visually impaired you should also specify your image description

Read: https://www.nairaland.com/4378599/how-optimize-website-blog-images
https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/how-to-optimize-your-website-and-blog-images-for-seo

6) Keyword Stuffing

Having your page/blog post targeted keyword in the right places ( your page/post url, title, your header tags, images etc ) is very important but over doing it is a very bad practice.

It should neither be too little none too much. Have not just your target keyword but it’s variant which should come into your page/blog post content naturally.

If the target keyword for this article is “SEO Mistakes to avoid”, I should not go about throwing ‘SEO Mistakes to avoid” everywhere. I have to find a variant of this/other things users may search for around this topic and let them come into the post naturally.

Read: https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/keyword-research-101-how-to-conduct-basic-keyword-research-for-your-website-and-blog
https://www.nairaland.com/4345091/how-conduct-basic-keyword-research

7) Failed canonical domain check

This arises when your site homepage or any other page/post is accessible through more than one url.
Eg doerstechnologies.com.ng

doerstechnologies.com.ng/index.php and

doerstechnologies.com.ng/home.php all points to the same home and users access the same home page through these.

This is not healthy for your site SEO, as these multiple url loading same content will end up dividing your site inbound link equity and diminishes your site overall SEO value.

A perfect solution to this, is to have a 301 redirect to point the other duplicate pages permanently to the right one, so that when users eventually try accessing those, they will be pointed to the right one.

cool Duplicate Content
This Is normally a common issue with eCommerce sites and other forms of larger sites with product listing. It’s important to pay attention to this and handle it by using canomical tags to point duplicate pages/posts to the main pages.

9) Dubious external links
Having other sites point to your website/website contents, is an important offsite SEO ranking factor especially when the links are from sites within your niche and sites with strong domain authority.

This becomes an issue if the links are dubiously acquired or the links are not in anyway relevant to your niche.

10) Poor Internal linking
It’s always a good practice to have relevant links to other pages/posts within an existing page or post especially if they are relevant to each other.

In doing this, we need to do it right by paying attention to the anchor text use and making sure those are not generic terms like 'Click Here' or 'Read More' but has to be relevant text that will serve the SEO purpose of the page. This, i have done with the examples i have on this post.

11) Not Paying Attention to Local SEO

Every business localized in one way or the other especially small and medium scale businesses. It's a lost opportunity not to take advantage of this fact and get your business found by the people within and around your business location actively searching for what you offer.

This is where Local SEO comes in. It's not a rocket science, all you need do is to pay attention to your

• Locality when specifying your target keywords for your products/services offering pages.
• Make sure your claim your all available local listings for your business eg Google My Business and any available niche directory that serves your business interest and more.

Read 5 Things To Do To Make Your Website More Visible To Your Target Audience - https://www.nairaland.com/4206168/5-things-make-website-more

12) Thinking that SEO is a one off thing

Ok now you have built your website, done your SEO ( Onsite, Offsite and Technical SEO ) and then you have signed off? all done and well?
Nope, your work just got started.

SEO is not a one off thing. You need to constantly review your work to know what works and what works not. Constantly review your stats, your analytics against your SEO defined goals and objectives and repeat what works for your brand.

My follow webmasters, please feel free to ADD.....possible SEO Mistakes to avoid.

For this article full details and more please visit: https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/12-seo-mistakes-to-avoid

Cheers

Rutherford Ejimonu

4 Likes

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 7:23am On Apr 26, 2018
Cc:lalasticlala
Cc:Mynd44
Cc:MissyB3

1 Like

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by RuddyFusion(m): 9:29am On Apr 26, 2018
Another good one from OP
KEEP IT UP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by SirLakes: 11:16am On Apr 26, 2018
I smell FP wink

1 Like

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 11:25am On Apr 26, 2018
SirLakes:
I smell FP wink

Amen to that brother
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by dogstyle007(m): 1:53pm On Apr 26, 2018
Nice
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by SpecNg: 2:36pm On Apr 26, 2018
Nice article bro. Interesting SEO tips
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Kirchhoff01(m): 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2018
Cool,
Abeg I'm a newbie, I want to host my website but don't know how to go about this! sad cry cry
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 8:03pm On Apr 26, 2018
Kirchhoff01:
Cool,
Abeg I'm a newbie, I want to host my website but don't know how to go about this! sad cry cry

Greetings bro.....you said you're a newbie and yet want to host your site....first

1) Do you know how to design a website? if yes, have you designed the site you want to host and with what did you build the site?

2) If you don't know how to design a website, do you want to learn how to build one or you want someone to build one for you? if you want to learn, there're many options for this

a) You can signup couple of free training's that abound on the internet these days on website design or look for paid one to sign up for

b) You can also look out for or have a one on one class on this ( this we do from time to time )

c) You can google 'Free website design training' or 'How to build a website using WordPress or using HTML, CSS and and i'm sure you will find may good returned pages.

D) You can turn to YouTube ( a powerful resources to learn just about anything, codeacademy and their likes to learn web design

3) if you need a professional to build a website for your business, ideas or project you can chat me up on 08095966698

After your website is built, then hosting it is no issue. All you need is to buy a domain name and host account for your site.

Meanwhile you can have a localhost on your PC ( XAMPP, WAMP, ,,MAMP ) and the rest, code your site from scratch or install CMS like WordPress and play around first before going live.

Hope i have answered your question, if not you're free to throw more questions......

1 Like

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Kirchhoff01(m): 4:41am On Apr 27, 2018
Doerstech:

Greetings bro.....you said you're a newbie and yet want to host your site....first

1) Do you know how to design a website? if yes, have you designed the site you want to host and with what did you build the site?

2) If you don't know how to design a website, do you want to learn how to build one or you want someone to build one for you? if you want to learn, there're many options for this

a) You can signup couple of free training's that abound on the internet these days on website design or look for paid one to sign up for

b) You can also look out for or have a one on one class on this ( this we do from time to time )

c) You can google 'Free website design training' or 'How to build a website using WordPress or using HTML, CSS and and i'm sure you will find may good returned pages.

D) You can turn to YouTube ( a powerful resources to learn just about anything, codeacademy and their likes to learn web design

3) if you need a professional to build a website for your business, ideas or project you can chat me up on 08095966698

After your website is built, then hosting it is no issue. All you need is to buy a domain name and host account for your site.

Meanwhile you can have a localhost on your PC ( XAMPP, WAMP, ,,MAMP ) and the rest, code your site from scratch or install CMS like WordPress and play around first before going live.

Hope i have answered your question, if not you're free to throw more questions......

You did a great job.I don't want to build from scratch. I have a prior knowledge of HTML... I want to buy a domain and host it with a good company with a bugdet fee. I'd use CMS like Wordpress, no time to build from scratch. I'll tweak one or two things with the small knowledge I have about html while also learning new stuff and improving my skills... My problem is to buy a domain and host it under a budget. A company was offering 5000naira for a free domain and one year hosting... Isn't that ridiculous? Like being too cheap. Please refer me to a good hosting company...
Kudos!
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 5:52am On Apr 27, 2018
SpecNg:
Nice article bro. Interesting SEO tips

Thanks bro
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 6:59am On Apr 27, 2018
Kirchhoff01:

You did a great job.I don't want to build from scratch. I have a prior knowledge of HTML... I want to buy a domain and host it with a good company with a bugdet fee. I'd use CMS like Wordpress, no time to build from scratch. I'll tweak one or two things with the small knowledge I have about html while also learning new stuff and improving my skills... My problem is to buy a domain and host it under a budget. A company was offering 5000naira for a free domain and one year hosting... Isn't that ridiculous? Like being too cheap. Please refer me to a good hosting company...
Kudos!

Even when doing anything under budget, you must go for something that serves purpose....

Money shouldn't be a deciding factor for anything important to you.....

Having said the above, they're couple of Nigerian host companies you can get your domain and host on a budget such as Whogohost ( I haven't hosted any site here but I buy my .ng domains from them ) and gigalayer ( few clients I have worked with, have their sites here. )

I personally use Namecheap. I have over 30 websites of my clients here .....

I trust Namecheap, and over the years I have had no reason not to recommended them or move my stuffs from them....

You can checkout their shared hosting packages especially the one that starts from under $10 will be fine for your budget and guarantees you a service you can trust.

1 Like

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 6:02am On Apr 28, 2018
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by RuddyFusion(m): 6:10am On Apr 28, 2018
OP...want to learn SEO 1 on 1 will you be kind to arrange a class formi? I will pay not free...
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by TheABOMINATION: 7:07am On Apr 28, 2018
Thanks for the post. As someone who's currently learning seo analysis, I have saved this page and will be sure to memorize all of these things. I will also checkout the links in the post. smiley
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 7:27am On Apr 28, 2018
TheABOMINATION:
Thanks for the post. As someone who's currently learning seo analysis, I have saved this page and will be sure to memorize all of these things. I will also checkout the links in the post. smiley

Good you found value keep it UP, remeber though, that best part of learning is practice....The more you practice on real life projects the more you learn
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 8:37am On Apr 28, 2018
RuddyFusion:
OP...want to learn SEO 1 on 1 will you be kind to arrange a class formi? I will pay not free...

Definitely chat me up here 08095966698 though our focus is mainly building websites for small and meduim scale businesses but we do run 1 on 1 Training's from time to time on Web design/SEO
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by phoenix45(m): 8:55am On Apr 28, 2018
you are professional seo guru.

see some of my blogging tips

if you want to reduce website bounce rate and engage your visitor's perfectly, consider reading this consice article.
https://extraloops.com/blogging/reduce-high-website-bounce-rate/

for those that always have higher ctr. this article is best
https://extraloops.com/blogging/reduce-high-google-adsense-ctr-2/
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 9:15am On Apr 28, 2018
phoenix45:
you are professional seo guru.

see some of my blogging tips

if you want to reduce website bounce rate and engage your visitor's perfectly, consider reading this consice article.
https://extraloops.com/blogging/reduce-high-website-bounce-rate/

for those that always have higher ctr. this article is best
https://extraloops.com/blogging/reduce-high-google-adsense-ctr-2/

Good points from your blog
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Opinionated: 9:16am On Apr 28, 2018
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Silvermoney: 10:00am On Apr 28, 2018
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by RuddyFusion(m): 10:14am On Apr 28, 2018
Doerstech:

Definitely chat me up here 08095966698 though our focus is mainly building websites for small and meduim scale businesses but we do run 1 on 1 Training's from time to time on Web design/SEO

Thanks will chat you up
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by isotech080(m): 11:39am On Apr 28, 2018
pls has Nigerians started receiving, withdrawing and sending money through PayPal? I want to register for an online stuff, don't knw if am to proceed or nt
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 12:15pm On Apr 28, 2018
Silvermoney:
I have a 2 weeks old site, with about 10 original keyword optimised blog posts, but Google hasn't indexed it yet. Not even one organic search engine visit yet.

I've done all the standard - set up Google search Console, submitted xml sitemap, submitted url, etc. Is there something I'm doing wrong or how much longer do I have to wait before Google indexes the site and organic visits start trickling in?

Normally it shouldn't take forever for your site pages/posts to be indexed by google or bing as the case may be. I understand you said you have followed all that you listed above but still not sure regardless i will like you to go through this material https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/how-to-find-out-if-your-website-is-listed-on-search-engines

In there, i went through the process of first finding out if your website have bn indexed by Google and then concluding with the steps you can follow to get that done.

The steps i outlined in the article above, is the ones i normally follow when going through basic/standard SEO process for my clients website and the result is always having the sites indexed by both google and bing.

IF YOU'RE HAVING ISSUES LOOK OUT/DO ANY OF THESE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE INDEX ISSUES ARE AND HAVE IT SORTED

1) At your search console click on 'Crawl' and then check your crawl errors to see if you have any issues there.

2) Next click on robot.txt Tester: This will show you your robot.txt file and point out any issues there. if you see anything like this
User-agent: * Disallow: / then what you're ultimately telling the crawlers is not to crawl your site. You have to edit this and re-upload to your server.

While there you can also those posts individually against googlebot to see if there're other inherent issues blocking google bot from it.

3) Individually fetch those posts as well as your other pages as Google by clicking on 'Fetch As Google' if everything is fine with your page/post a positive result will be returned and then you can individually "Request for indexing" for that particular URL

4) You also need to check your .htacess and make sure you have nothing of such <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> in any of your page/post meta tags.

5) As for increasing the visibility of your site/blog Please read through this material and follow the advice there
https://doerstechnologies.com.ng/5-things-to-do-to-make-your-website-more-visible-to-your-target-audience

They may be couple of other issues but checking and resolving any of these will sort out your issues

1 Like

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Sumanraj: 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2018
Doerstech:
Cc:lalasticlala
Cc:Mynd44
Cc:MissyB3

Dofollow Social Bookmarking Sites
Social Bookmarking Submission is the good method to get quality backlinks, huge traffic along with branding, promotion and indexing privileges
http://www.indiatodayweb.com/dofollow-social-bookmarking-sites-high-pr-2018/

Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Doerstech(m): 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2018
Sumanraj:

Dofollow Social Bookmarking Sites
Social Bookmarking Submission is the good method to get quality backlinks, huge traffic along with branding, promotion and indexing privileges
http://www.indiatodayweb.com/dofollow-social-bookmarking-sites-high-pr-2018/

Not advisable to submit your blog posts or get backlinks from all sort of places ......Backlinks are better gotten naturally and from your niche
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by moneyadulttube: 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2018
With adult tube website you dont need all these SEO and content writing. It is one of the easiest way to earn passive income online. Check my signature for more info.
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by RuddyFusion(m): 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2018
moneyadulttube:
With adult tube website you dont need all these SEO and content writing. It is one of the easiest way to earn passive income online. Check my signature for more info.

bros as par Adult sites?
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by emperorblog(m): 2:05pm On Apr 28, 2018
Re: 12 Seo Mistakes To Avoid If You Want To Rank Higher by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 2:54pm On Apr 28, 2018
nice tips doerstech

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For Nigerian Blogs That Centers On Personal Development / What's The Difference Between "require Once" And "include" In Php? / Can I Start A Car Blog In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.