Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ (2894 Views)

Jonathan Appoints Gbenga Daniel, Abacha’s Aide Varsities Council Chairmen / Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money / Nigerians, Other International Students To Pay More In Uk Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bilymuse: 12:53pm On May 18, 2010
[size=15pt]Nigerian students in UK varsities are exceptional’
[/size]

By Motunrayo Aboderin
Tuesday, 18 May 2010

The International officer, University of Wales, Newport, Mr. Glynn James, has said that Nigerian students in the institution have put Nigeria on a positive platform with their brilliance.

James said Nigerian students perform exceptionally well in the UK, and that the university in particular does not have problems with the Nigerian students.

While presenting a scholarship award to one of the winners of the university’s essay competition at the British Council, James added that the university was proud to have an excellent partnership with Nigeria.

The undergraduate, Oluwatosin Ilesanmi, received a 50 per cent reduction in tuition for her foundational year and a subsequent 50 per cent reduction per annum till she completes her degree.

During the event, University of Keele also awarded the 2nd winner of the essay competition, Tolulope Olumoyin a 50 per cent reduction in tuition to undergo a pre- master‘s programme in Information Technology at the university.

The Regional Manager, Study Group, Mrs. Yetunde Pereira, said that both candidates had to pass through a rigorous screening test by a group of consultants before they were chosen. ”The applicants which were 200 in total had to write an essay of about 1,200 words titled, “Why I would like to study in Britain”. Apart from the essay, there were also a series of interviews conducted on each applicant. We wanted to really know that whoever won the competition deserved to win.

”The main purpose of the scholarship is to prepare them to go into the corporate environment.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005180105282
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bilymuse: 12:53pm On May 18, 2010
Thank God for the good news
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by SEFAGO(m): 1:14pm On May 18, 2010
yoruba people are so smart
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by blacksta(m): 1:28pm On May 18, 2010
More brain drain - 85% of these student dont have any intentions of going back home -
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by ladi02(m): 1:46pm On May 18, 2010
blacksta:

More brain drain - 85% of these student dont have any intentions of going back home -

Define "home" grin home is where you make home, cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Kx: 1:51pm On May 18, 2010
Americans use visa lottery.
Uk use Uk varsities.
Holland,Italy and Spain use prostitution.
Israel and Saudi Arabia uses pilgrimage.

Some may come back at the expiration of their short stay,others may not.

What ever form it takes,it is still Brain Drain
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by shotster50(m): 12:01am On May 19, 2010
@ Sefago , you are waaaaay better than that, anyway good luck to those guys.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by DisGuy: 12:08am On May 19, 2010
Even oyinbo peopel have mastered our trick- PRAiSe Singing!!!

in a bid to get more international students these guys have start praising nigerian students LMAO

so it is the chinese students, indian I.T guys or French guys doing 'proper' degrees at 'proper' universities that are not smart abi na so so mass comm, biz admin, international relations we dey go do for obodo oyinbo

Well done to those that pass their test  wink
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Nobody: 12:11am On May 19, 2010
Why is this thread not in its 25th page? angry angry angry

Is it because she's Yoruba? grin

EzeUche? Onlytruth? Uzeduze? Mekuxxyzwzhdkjd23242?
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Nobody: 12:23am On May 19, 2010
Kudos
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bawomolo(m): 12:56am On May 19, 2010
SEFAGO:

yoruba people are so smart

ha u want to start riot
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by mbulela: 1:22am On May 19, 2010
Sefago, you too??
Kindly delete that post.
It is moronic and while i may not know you in person, i doubt you are slowpoke.
There are enough of them already on this forum with such silly intents.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by asha80(m): 1:28am On May 19, 2010
why are people suprised at sefago's comment
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bawomolo(m): 1:29am On May 19, 2010
asha 80:

why are people suprised at sefago's comment

he is better than that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by asha80(m): 1:32am On May 19, 2010
bawomolo:

he is better than that.

Really?I guess you have not gotten into that type of argurement with him.The only difference is that he may just be subtle about it.

Me thinks he just made that statement to bait the likes of mekusxxx.Which on the long encourages the nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bgees(m): 5:24am On May 19, 2010
Mekusxxx and EzeUche are presently searching the internet for a brillant student named 'emeka'.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Ikengawo: 7:43am On May 19, 2010
i dont believe in this brain drain myth.

most of us don't realize that most of us are brilliant in nigeria.

the UK and USA aren't getting the 'best' nigerians, they're getting average nigerians and realizing the average nigerian is smarter then the average anyone else.

if the schools in nigeria were up to standard they would be and currently are, pumping out geniuses.

also idk why ppl are trying to make it a tribal thing cause lets be realistic, JAMB statistics have proven igbos get almost double the scores of yorubas and triple hausas.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bibiking1(m): 7:48am On May 19, 2010
Well! I do congratulate them on their achievement,,, and more importantly they are being celebrated in due proportion. Something you hardly find in Nigerian Varsities. And can we ignore the racist rants from some people please!
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by naso2(m): 8:40am On May 19, 2010
bgees:

Mekusxxx and EzeUche are presently searching the internet for a brillant student named 'emeka'.

grin grin grin grin Una no go kill person here.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by dustydee: 9:03am On May 19, 2010
bgees:

It's sad Nigerians are descending so low. I thought we would at least have educated people around here but alas what we have are those who are worse than illiterates. I pity Nigeria. cry
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by SEFAGO(m): 1:11pm On May 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

the UK and USA aren't getting the 'best' nigerians, they're getting average nigerians and realizing the average nigerian is smarter then the average anyone else.

if the schools in nigeria were up to standard they would be and currently are, pumping out geniuses.

also idk why ppl are trying to make it a tribal thing cause lets be realistic, JAMB statistics have proven igbos get almost double the scores of yorubas and triple hausas.

LOL thats quite the generalization. Its a bit perspicacious in that you are correct in asserting that average Nigeria students do excel in the UK/US. You cannot blame them- the fear of returning to poverty in Nigeria would make you work harder in the US/UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by SEFAGO(m): 1:14pm On May 19, 2010
Kai check out how I dominated the thread- I am such an attention seeker grin

Anyways it was obviously a joke, I knew most people would not post in this thread anyways until I start trouble. grin by the way I said Yoruba people are smart but I did not denigrate anyone. Why the hate?
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by shotster50(m): 3:30pm On May 19, 2010
@ Sefago

If mekusx said the same thing about Igbo, you know you would be all up on his a,ss
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by bgees(m): 5:23pm On May 19, 2010
Mekusxxx, pls search harder. Igbo man no dey carry last.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by xterra2(m): 8:54pm On May 19, 2010
Yes there are he failed to mention that they may be terrorist like Abdulmutallab ( grin grin grin)
But seriously there are,but bad news they will not come back
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by 4Play(m): 9:46pm On May 19, 2010
SEFAGO:

LOL thats quite the generalization. Its a bit perspicacious in that you are correct in asserting that average Nigeria students do excel in the UK/US. You cannot blame them- the fear of returning to poverty in Nigeria would make you work harder in the US/UK.

The average Nigerian student does not 'excel' in the UK/US. If they did, Oxford and Cambridge will be falling over themselves to get their hands on Nigerian graduates. The reality is that education is an income generator, especially for universities at the bottom of the quality scale where you will find most Naija students.

These Unis depend on foreign graduates, through exorbitant fees, to subsidise education for the locals and make ends meet. Nigeria happens to be one of the largest customer base. You don't expect this salesman to say that Nigerian students are not really that good but they need them because they are prepared to pay +£9000 per head.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by DisGuy: 10:57pm On May 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

so you mean those teaching the best students left in nigeria after all these years cannot bring the schools/uni up to standard?
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by SEFAGO(m): 11:23pm On May 19, 2010
4 Play:

The average Nigerian student does not 'excel' in the UK/US. If they did, Oxford and Cambridge will be falling over themselves to get their hands on Nigerian graduates. The reality is that education is an income generator, especially for universities at the bottom of the quality scale where you will find most Naija students.

These Unis depend on foreign graduates, through exorbitant fees, to subsidise education for the locals and make ends meet. Nigeria happens to be one of the largest customer base. You don't expect this salesman to say that Nigerian students are not really that good but they need them because they are prepared to pay +£9000 per head.

Hmm, depends. Oxford and Cambridge also depend on foreign graduates for dough. The problem is that the average Nigerian is not given the opportunity to attend either Oxford or Cambridge so there is not a critical mass number to show the quality of Nigerian graduate. Oxbridge cost quite a large amount of money that the average Nigerian student cannot afford.

shotster50:

@ Sefago

If mekusx said the same thing about Igbo, you know you would be all up on his a,ss

True, but mekusxx actually believes what he writes. I am aware than no ethnic group has the prerogative over good or bad. Basically I stoke trouble, but I rarely start it. Two different things.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Nobody: 12:53am On May 20, 2010
bgees:

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by eastorange: 7:23am On May 20, 2010
Ikengawo:

[b]also idk why ppl are trying to make it a tribal thing cause lets be realistic, JAMB statistics have proven igbos get almost double the scores of yorubas and triple hausas.[/b]

Say what?, at the boldened,  Yes  the number of igbo applicants that applied and took jamb exams is more than the yorubas, but it is always a yoruba student or an edo student that always get the highest score year in year out. I have been checking this since the past 8yrs or so and and that as been the statistics.

The amount of igbo students that score above average is higher than the rest of other tribes, but the highest scorer or the genius that scored the highest mark is always a yoruba and somethings edo. As a matter of fact, you hardly find an igbo student in the top 3. And this goes for waec results to.  Though i have not checked this year's result yet.

And the reason why una don pass yoruba for the number of applicant for jamb na because ya parents get money to send una to school whereas not so many yoruba parents can afford to send their children to higher institution because una get money pass yoruba ppl. Moreso there is no more free education in the west.

But trust me, yoruba shall rise again in education, and that very soon!
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by Demdem(m): 8:04am On May 20, 2010
FL Gators:

Why is this thread not in its 25th page? angry angry angry

Is it because she's Yoruba? grin

EzeUche? Onlytruth? Uzeduze? Mekuxxyzwzhdkjd23242?

lailai, u cant find find them on threads like this.
Re: Nigerian Students In Uk Varsities Are Exceptional’ by sayso: 9:17am On May 20, 2010
modernized slavery,but people do not know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor, Sullivan Chime,Has Lost The Governorship Ticket and relisted his name / Wikileaks: Sss Coordinates Payment Of Ransom To Kidnappers / Obasanjo Must Visit The Families Of All Those Killed By Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.