Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum (341 Views)

Do You Have Power Supply In Your Vicinity? / Junaid: North Will Remove Any President Who Attempts To Implement 2014 Confab / Lai Mohammed To Atiku: You Can’t Become President Through Backdoor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum by speedyGonzales: 7:56pm On Apr 27, 2018
I think there should be a provision in the Nigerian constitution that allows for any Nigerian citizen to gather sufficient signatures by fellow Nigerians through a petition and automatically invoke a referendum to impeach any Nigerian president, at anytime within the presidents tenure bypassing the senate completely.

I think this would give Nigerians power to easily curtail an take overs by tyrannical leaders very quickly.

What do you guys think?
Re: Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum by skywolf28(m): 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2018
Even if given the power, it will never work
Re: Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum by bayocanny: 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
referendum is not enshrined in our constitution... that's why I love parliament system of government
Re: Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum by gidgiddy: 11:20pm On Apr 27, 2018
speedyGonzales:
I think there should be a provision in the Nigerian constitution that allows for any Nigerian citizen to gather sufficient signatures by fellow Nigerians through a petition and automatically invoke a referendum to impeach any Nigerian president, at anytime within the presidents tenure bypassing the senate completely.

I think this would give Nigerians power to easily curtail an take overs by tyrannical leaders very quickly.

What do you guys think?

You are wrong.

Nigerians already have such a right, it comes every 4 years and it is called elections.

Referendum is not something that is used to determine the political destiny of a person, it should only be used to determine the political destiny of a people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizens Should Have Power To Impeach Any President Through Referendum by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:23pm On Apr 27, 2018
How many times have Nigerians effectively used the power to "impeach" a legislator as enshrined in the constitution?

(1) (Reply)

Text Of State Of The Nation Press Conference By Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), / Lets Talk About Our Epileptic Power Supply In Nigeria. / Buhari's Response To Sh*thole Country Comment By Trump. Hit Or Miss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.