Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,584 members, 7,801,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

To Be Or Not To Be - A Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / To Be Or Not To Be - A Story (1181 Views)

My Son My Man- A Story / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 9:21am On Apr 30, 2018
All rights reserved.

The first time Muna set her eyes on him, the earth shifted. It moved in that interstellar way that predicted most events of prime importance in a person’s life. Maybe that was just her reaction to the vibrations from the adjoining construction site. Someone had been boring through concrete all morning; and her super-sensitive ears responded by distorting her balance just enough to make it an issue for someone who liked to complain a lot. But that wasn’t her; Muna was far from pedantic, so the disturbance was ultimately bearable.

She had been looking out to the car park through her bedroom window from her flat (which was on the third floor of the storied apartment building) when a swanky black Audi sedan pulled into the compound and shamed the array of Japanese cars parked by the block. Her interest was only partly held by that prosaic event as she sipped lime tinged black tea from a jumbo sized mug, but the moment the man emerged from the car into the glorious sunlight, Muna’s senses were fully engaged. He was a magnificently imposing creature - no less than six-feet tall, endlessly spanning shoulders, and jacked in just about perfect proportions. Even from that far away, Muna could see the definitions in his forearms; a man’s chest and arms were her absolute weakness. He walked to the boot of his car, got out a gym bag and slung over his shoulder. His gait was easy and confident; like someone who knew exactly what he was about. But that’s exactly the thing which eventually put Muna off.

“Yes, you’re gorgeous; so what?” Muna mumbled to herself, “Do you have the brains? Do you have the heart? Or are you just a beautiful gift wrap full of a whole lot of nothing?” She realized that she was saying this for her own admonishment, because her imagination had already left the station to wild-country. “Remember what’s important.” She reminded herself.

He was dressed casually in blue jeans and a football jersey shirt – white, Adidas, fly Emirates. Muna wondered about him. She thought that he might be one of Hyacinth’s friends – one of the guys who frequently made themselves at home here, and competed for the already limited parking space. Hyacinth was the most extroverted one of all her neighbours, everyone else pretty much kept it quiet and to themselves. It all made for a fairly serene atmosphere which was completely to her liking. If this was one of Hyacinth’s friends, then he would be forgiven for crowding up the compound since he was such delicious eye candy. As she contemplated this, a large moving van pulled into the compound and, at his instruction, it parked behind the Audi. Muna was instantly gripped by a feeling of excitement. She had heard that someone had paid for the flat across from hers, which had remained unoccupied since she moved in a year ago – Matthew Adukeh (this was according to guy on the ground floor). This was her new neighbour! In that moment, he lifted his head and stared in her direction. It seemed as if he was looking directly at her, but Muna was sure that he couldn’t see her through the reflective glass. Still, his stare unsettled her just enough to cause her to retreat further into her bedroom. She continued to watch him; albeit, from a less comfortable angle.

*********************************************************************************************************

“Hey, I’m Muna. I live across from you.” Muna was in the parking area in a flash; still in her pyjama bottoms and a pale pink t-shirt. In her left hand, she held a black plastic bag of everything she could find to throw away on such short notice. It was a Saturday morning after all and her trash disposal had been conscientiously achieved on Friday evening as was the general routine. The bag was a pretext, and it contained plastic bottles which she wouldn’t ordinarily have discarded; and which she would eventually have to replace. But first things first….

He took the hand she extended to him a little warily; as if he thought she might be a little crazy.

“Matthew.” He said, “And I live across from you too.” Muna smiled at his attempt to be funny or charming; knowing that he failed either way. But she was aware that her smile was her best asset; so she wasn’t about to be stingy with it. “You have a really nice smile, Muna.” Mathew was sweet to notice, which instantly flamed up Muna’s cheeks. Her blush was another good one from her arsenal.

She particularly liked the way her name seemed to roll off his tongue like some deliciously warm snack. She had never heard her name spoken quite like that; it was music to her ears, and she wanted to hear it again.

“Have you brought me a gift?” Matthew eyed the plastic bag she held in her hand.

Muna was flustered at first, but then she realized that she’d watched him in silence for a moment too long, and that must have made him slightly uncomfortable. “Oh, this? No, this is just trash” she scrunched up her nose in mock distaste, “I’m just about to drop it in the trash corner; don’t mind me!”

Matthew nodded.

“That’s it, by the way; the trash corner.” She pointed to the far end of the compound, just by the gate, “So if you have anything to throw away……………….that’s where it goes.”

“Thank you. I’ll remember that” Matthew couldn’t quite keep the sarcasm out of his tone.

“You’re welcome.” Muna said all too quickly. And then she winced, “This isn’t going so well, is it?”

“No.” Matthew agreed. But his warm smile took the sting out the admission.

“I’m not looking very hot right now.”

“No.” he laughed.

“So…….what do we do about that?”

Matthew pretended to think long and hard about it. “You know what; I am practically a damsel in distress when it comes to moving” he said eventually, “Would you please help me get settled in? And after that, I’d like to thank you with a movie maybe? Dinner, if you prefer.”

“I’d love to see a movie. We could skip everything else.”

Matthew looked at her slightly astonished but then he saw her shake her head like one did when they knew they’d made a bad joke. “Ha, ha.” He obliged drily.

2 Likes

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 9:23am On Apr 30, 2018
Matthew was an absolute dream. It was clear he had only invited her to give her the opportunity to feel him out (and probably vice versa) because he didn’t let her do any heavy lifting. He only indulged her by asking her opinions about where to hang up a painting or where to place a rug. “Are you sure you even want me here?” she asked at one point when she felt totally superfluous. “Trust me, you are saving my life” he insisted. She knew better. But instead of fussing over it, she decided to learn things about him. She realized that he wasn’t just a pretty face; it was layer after layer of perfection with him. It was becoming quite boring and, frankly, a lot intimidating. He was a lawyer who spent several hours a week defending the rights of people, who could not afford his wages, free of charge. He was smart, funny, and very considerate; and before the end of the day, Muna found herself hoping that he wasn’t merely being polite with her. She was hoping that he actually liked her.

They went to the movies that evening. The cinema hall was packed because it was only the second day showing a highly anticipated film. Even though every seat around her was occupied, Muna was acutely aware of Matthew’s presence to her right. She felt his heat through the crisply pressed blue dress shirt he had on (rolled up at the sleeves to reveal his powerful forearms). He was slumped into the seat which didn’t hold his large frame very well. His legs were spread out in front of him, knees touching the back of the seat in the row ahead; and Muna could not shake the impulse to straddle him. She did manage to restrain herself; but only just.

“Are you comfortable?” she asked.

Matthew smiled his acquiescence. Muna had already lost herself in the depth of the movie when Matthew took her right hand in his left and wrapped his long, lithe fingers firmly yet loosely around hers, jerking her back to reality. She looked up at him, grateful for the flickering lights from the screen that intermittently illuminated his face. He didn’t seem to be aware of her; his attention seemed to be fully directed at the screen. Muna smiled to herself, she dared believe that Matthew did like her. She found herself thinking about kissing him. Did he want to kiss her? Was he building up to it? While the thoughts occupied her mind, she missed the remainder of the film.

Even though she had anticipated it for most of the evening, when they were both seated in her living room and Matthew leaned in for that kiss, it was an absolute surprise to her. He picked his moment to perfection. His lips were much softer than they looked and she could taste traces of salt, sugar and butter from the pop-corn they had had at the movies. Muna’s insides turned to warm slush; it was the perfect kiss, and it made her want more of him; all of him. And when he pulled back to look into her eyes, he knew it.

“We are neighbours. We will be living next to each other for a while.” Matthew pointed out.

“You’re right. We should take it slow.” Muna agreed. But neither of them made any move to break the magnetic field between them. Muna noticed Matthew’s visible erection and the sheer size of it made her hungry. When she looked back into Matthew’s eyes, she saw a glimmer of the tease that he was. “You should go.” She said.

“Yes.” He said with finality as he got to his feet. But when he walked towards her front door led by his grotesquely distended penis, Muna felt instantly sorry: why waste such a good thing? Plastic bottles aside, she wasn’t a wasteful person. It felt to her as though Santa was leaving with his full sack of toys; and she couldn’t bear it. She got up and walked towards Matthew; surprising him and herself when she jumped on to him, locking her legs around his waist and kissing him full on the lips.

“Bedroom.” She instructed in a sultry whisper. He knew exactly where it was since the flats were identical.

Muna and Mathew were fire under the sheets. It was as if he had known her all his life, and knew exactly what she liked, and how she liked it. He ignited her skin with his touch. She had never felt her body breathe like she felt it in that moment. Every inch of it was alive and begging for him. “What the f-! This is just too much.” Muna thought to herself as she felt herself being steadily transported to ecstasy.

“Wait….wait.” she stopped him mid-thrust.

“You want me to stop?” a look of concern spread over his face, “Am I hurting you?” Muna pushed against his chest in response and he rolled over to the side, “Are you okay?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, so what’s the problem?”

“You.”

Matthew quirked a brow, which made Muna feel slightly ridiculous.

“I just feel like……. we should talk for a bit.”

Matthew rested his head on her frilly pillow, and Muna would have found the contrast of his manliness against the flimsy stuff very arousing if she weren’t already there.

“What do you want to talk about?”

“Nothing really.” She said, and hated herself for being such a girl. “Just tell me about yourself.”

He took her hand and laced his fingers through hers. “We already did that today.” He pointed out. “Do you want me to leave? I could leave if you are not comfortable with this. It’s okay.”

“No.”

He rolled over to face her and she followed suit. They both lay there for several silent minutes staring into each other’s eyes.

“I want your dirt.” She said eventually, “What’s the ugliest thing about you?”

“I’m not used to this kind of pillow talk.” Matthew admitted.

“I’m a freak. Humour me.” Muna held his gaze. “Please.”

He thought about it for a moment, and then offered “I have hair growing out of my ears.”

“That’s disgusting.” Muna smiled.

“It is.” Mathew agreed. “Does that turn you on?”

“Almost; what else have you got?”

“I have really bad morning breath.”

“Keep going, you’re almost there.”

“I am absolutely terrified of rats.”

Muna couldn’t help laughing at that. “You poor thing!” she straddled him, grateful that his penis responded to the touch of her wet crotch almost instantly.

“So that was the one?” he teased.

“That was the one.” But there was no humour in Muna’s voice, “You can stop talking now.” She kissed him. Hot. Wet. Wild.

Mathew let Muna take charge. She watched him watch her as she rode him; aware of the fact that her bobbing breasts presented him with a special kind of challenge. She knew he wanted to touch them, and the thought of his hands and his lips on her boobs caused her gigantic nipples to harden. But she held his hands captive and kept them at her waist. She knew that he would eventually get frustrated and override her command. When he sat up to bury his face in her bosom locking her in a firm embrace, Muna smiled triumphantly and gave herself up to his fervent need.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 9:25am On Apr 30, 2018
Muna awoke Sunday morning to the sound of persistent knocking on her front door. A quick consultation with her phone told her that it was already after eleven o’clock. Disoriented, she groped around for her underwear, and threw on an oversized t-shirt. She wasn’t surprised to find her bed sheets completely dishevelled; it had been a wild night. She lifted her duvet, looked beneath the pillows; but she couldn’t find what she was looking for.

The knocking got increasingly impatient, and Muna realized that only one person had the nerve to knock on her door as though she was owed money: NK. NK was one of the neighbours; she liked to think that she and Muna were very close friends. And Muna liked to indulge her.

“Were you still sleeping?” NK asked as soon as Muna opened the door. It wasn’t a question that expected an answer. Neither was it an apology. It was an accusation.

“Good morning.” Muna said, “No, not really” she stepped away from the doorway to let NK into her flat. As expected, NK was schlepping along a raffia bag of items which Muna presumed to be fabrics for sale. Last December, she had bought a few items to encourage her business; but since then NK kept sending her whatsapp messages – photos of new wares she had acquired. And if Muna said that she wasn’t interested in buying anything at the moment, NK would bring the wares over to her flat to give her a better look at them; because, she insisted that the photos taken with her phone camera were a little misleading. Muna did not say that she felt very well served by the photos.

“Tell me you have seen the new neighbour” was the first thing out of NK’s mouth as soon as she sat down.

Muna was slightly taken aback. She hadn’t suspected that NK might have come to gossip; she had such a loaded bag of wares in tow, and it was a huge distraction.

“I have seen the new neighbour.” Muna admitted wryly.

“So?” NK wanted to know.

“So………what?”

“Munachi, I’ll break your head” she laughed in mild frustration. “I’m telling you, if I were single, I would be all over that.”

“Let CJ catch you first.”

“What? I’m still a woman. With eyes. And with pussy.” NK retorted. “But honestly, when I saw him yesterday I thought: husband for Muna. You guys will make a cute couple.”

“Would.” Muna corrected.

“What is ‘would’?”

“Would make a cute couple. Not will”

“Babe, I know what I’m saying: WILL. As in, it’s going to happen. So step out of your shell and let him toast you. ”

Muna wondered what NK knew about it. “What have you brought me?” She was just so eager to change the subject that she reached for the dreaded raffia bag and unzipped it. But even as she stared at the fabrics with unseeing eyes, she couldn’t get her mind off the things NK had said: husband for Muna.

***********************************************************************************************************

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 9:26am On Apr 30, 2018
“Do you remember when you asked me what the ugliest thing about me was?” Matthew asked.

He had barely touched his food. He had cooked fried rice and chicken; and Muna thought it was damn good. She had finished her plate and was contemplating seconds. They were at his place, sitting on the rug in the living room; a bottle of chardonnay between them.

“Of course, I remember.” Muna said, “You were grasping at straws. Turns out you are boringly perfect.”

She had hoped for a chuckle from him but she noticed that he was distracted. When he had told her to come over for dinner, that he had something important to tell her, she had wondered if he was the type of man who would propose to marry a woman after a solitary date. She hoped he wasn’t; but she was determined to hear him out. Now, she wasn’t so sure that marriage was the thing on Matthew’s mind.

“What is it?” Muna probed.

She felt the horror build inside her as she looked into Matthew’s eyes; because there were tears in them. And they weren’t tears of joy, or tears of love, but tears of pure agony.

“Matthew, what is it?” she pressed.

“I wasn’t honest with you.” He did not look her in the eye.

“Are you going to be honest with me now?”

Mathew shook his head, but he didn’t mean to say “No.” Muna could tell that he was having a really hard time, and she wanted to hold him in that moment to make it a little easier for him. But she was terrified of what he was about to tell her, so she remained rooted in place.

“Matthew, seriously, you’re scaring me shitless. Just get it over with.” She whispered.

He nodded. But he didn’t say anything for a long while. Just when Muna was sure she had to prod him again, he opened his mouth.

“The ugliest thing about me, Muna……..is…….that I am HIV positive.”

The sentence hung heavy between them.

Silence.

And then Muna started to laugh.

“No.” she said eventually, “No, that can’t be true; you see, because you and I – we’ve had sex.”

Matthew pinched his eyes closed. “We were careful. I used a condom.”

“That’s bullshit!” Muna was now enraged. “Are you actually serious right now?” she got to her feet a little bit too quickly.

“Muna, I am sorry. I owed it to you to tell you before……” he said, “I was careful; you should be fine. I am confident of that. I will go with you to get tested. I can make sure you get all the discretion you want.”

Muna instantaneously lost her dinner all over Mathew’s rug. The disgusting sludge consisted of rice and undigested trepidation. He started to rush over to her side, but she put out a hand to stop him. “Just stay where you are. If you come any closer, I swear, I might kill you.”

He believed her. It was in her tone: the epitome of sobriety. “I’m going to get you some towels” he said, making for the bathroom.

Muna wordlessly let herself out of his flat leaving him to clean up her mess.

Muna spent the following days remembering God. It was a thing one often did when faced with situations they could not influence. “My soul is yours regardless; but if you pull me out of this mess, I would dedicate my body to you as well.” But even as she said those words, she felt defeated. She realized that she didn’t deserve God’s listening ear; not unless God was partial to those who would greet him with: long time no see. Muna condemned herself to a bout of depression, never even bothering to take a bath, as she tried to come to terms with the fact that she had likely been infected with HIV.

It was the longest and scariest moment of her life: waiting on that test result. Time after time, she found herself desecrating the ears of God with her worthless lips: prayers; they came very easily to her in that moment; which was ironic because she was an atheist. Tears came easily too.

Muna had no idea how Matthew knew to be waiting for her in the hall way between their flats the evening when she got her test results back. But there he was, in his bare feet, joggers and a hoodie. His hands thrust in his pockets; his expression, grave; his expression made even graver by the stubble that had manifested itself on his face over the hard week during which neither of them had bothered with personal grooming. She hadn’t taken his calls or answered his knock since she spilt her gut all over his living room. She didn’t say anything to him as she unlocked her door. He didn’t say anything to her either. But she left the door open behind her, after she walked through it, and so Matthew took the hint and followed her in.

She tossed her bag onto an armchair, kicked off her shoes and laid herself on the long sofa shutting her eyes. She held her forearm across her face. Matthew sat on her centre table, adjacent to the sofa, waiting for her to speak.

Matthew didn’t quite know what to do, because she had him waiting for several minutes. He wanted to hold her hand, but he knew she would reject him. So he just sat there awkwardly.

“I don’t have HIV.” She said eventually, “The test was negative.” Her voice broke as the stress of the past week overwhelmed her in the moment.

Matthew took her hand and squeezed it. He didn’t trust himself to say anything. But he was glad and relieved at her news.

“I’m not in the clear yet,” She pointed out raggedly, “but –”

“You’ll be okay, Muna.”

She nodded.

And then, for the first time since he put that bombshell on her, she thought about him. He was HIV positive. He was a human being just like her; not a virus. And at some point, he must have felt exactly how she felt this past week; only, his evening had ended with the dreaded verdict: positive.

She squeezed his hand in response. “How did it happen?”

Matthew didn’t pretend not to know what she was referring to; but he took his time to answer her question.

“I was sixteen years old – and sixteen years stupid.” He said with self-derision, “She was sixteen years old, and the love of my life. But I was only the boy who served her vanity. Her exploits with older men left her with a very poor impression of herself, so she needed me. And I thought that things could change between us……..because every time she looked at me, I believed her. But in the end it was obvious she was in love with herself – the version of herself that only I seemed to see. And that’s what the relationship was about.

She knew she was infected when she decided to give it up to me. But knowing how I felt about her, she thought that I might not care. And maybe she was right; had she told me, daredevil that I was, I may have done it anyway. But she didn’t give me the chance to find out.”

“Where is she now?”

“Oh, she’s gone. Girls like her go through life in a hurry.” Matthew was quiet for a while; probably reliving moments from the past. “She was found in an open drain, somewhere in a bad neighbourhood. They said it was a hit and run driver.”

It was clear from his tone that Matthew did not believe his girlfriend had been killed in a hit and run accident.

“I am very sorry for putting you through all of this, Muna.” He said again. “I was very selfish in that moment.”

“It’s okay now.” She said, “Do you make a habit of not disclosing your status to your sexual partners? Because you know that has to stop.”

Matthew watched her strangely. “I’m not really a guy who is all over the place like that. Especially, since – , but when I do intend to get intimate, I let her know. It’s not just for her sake, but mine as well. I don’t want to get invested when I know she can’t handle my baggage.

With you it was a little different.”

“How?”

Matthew didn’t say anything. He didn’t have to. She already knew.

“Come here.” Muna pulled him into her arms and held him tightly. He shared his weight between her and the floor. “I am sorry I flew off the handle with this. There are just things in this life that I am an absolute coward about, and this is one of them.

But…….scary things can become less scary with someone who’s……….worth the stress.”

He smiled. “Worth the stress? So, you’re saying that you don’t regret you and me?”

“No. I don’t regret anything.” Muna said pensively. “Don’t misread me: I was angry as Bleep; I was terrified as Bleep. But, I’ll take those emotions for the way you make me feel every day.”

He stared at her. “What does that mean?”

“It means that we’ll find a way to make this work.” If you’re signing up for love, you’re signing up for heartbreak. That’s just the way it was.

Matthew put his face in her neck. He kissed her there. Lying on the couch with him, Muna realized that even with all the clothes preventing their bodies from touching, this was the most intimate they had ever been: lying there in full acceptance of each other. She felt the wetness trickle from her neck to her cleavage and it dawned on her that Matthew was crying.

***********************************************************************************************************

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Afonjashapmouth: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2018
Awwwwn this is so sweet.. *** shocked shocked shocked wake up guy* What !!!!! In Nigeria this is a police vs instablog case. Lols
Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 9:28am On Apr 30, 2018

Muna heard the knock on her front door through the music that kept her company in the kitchen while she chopped vegetables. “I’m coming!” she called out wiping her hands on the apron. She was in high spirits that afternoon, and she flung the door open without asking who it was or looking through the peep hole. She accepted to be surprised by life. It was that kind of day. But when she was faced with her visitor, she felt as though a bucket of cold water had been tossed in her face: Matthew from across the hall. Muna knew the difference between real and imagined, and this was Matthew for real.

He smiled at her. “Hi, I’m Mathew. From this flat.” He stuck out a thumb to indicate the door behind him. “We haven’t had the chance to meet and it’s been almost two months.”

He extended his hand to her and she took it; a bit dumbfounded, but she managed to get out a greeting “Hi.”

Matthew seemed a bit disappointed that she hadn’t said anything further. He had expected her to invite him into the living room. Instead, they stood awkwardly at her door while she wondered what he wanted.

“Seems to me like you’re always indoors if you aren’t at work. And it just occurred to me that if I don’t knock on your door, I might never run into you until I’m ready to move out.”

Muna listened to the timbre of his voice and resisted the urge to relax into its soothing effect. It gave her a funny fluttery feeling in her stomach; there was nothing she could do about that though. She had never noticed his dimples before. She saw them now as he stood smiling just inches from her. She leaned back on her heels in retreat and crossed her arms beneath her bosoms, “Yes, I am a homebody.” She smiled only slightly, not wanting to encourage him.

Matthew read her defensive posture, but decided to forge ahead. “Well, I am just about to go out for some shawarma at the junction, and I was hoping you’d like to come along with me. It would give us a chance to get to know each other a bit better.”

Muna stared at him. Here he finally was in flesh and blood, and she was plagued by all the “what ifs.” What if he wasn’t a lawyer? What if he wasn’t smart, funny and considerate? What if his kisses didn’t send her to the moon, and what if his lovemaking was weak? What if he didn’t love her?

Muna stood at her door in the narrow hallway, but she was definitely standing at a cross road as well. She had too much to lose already. If this man did not live up to the standards which her Mathew had set over the last two months, she might not get over the heart break. And she might never forgive him for destroying her dream.

Matthew looked at Muna with hopeful eyes, “I’m buying.”

Muna laughed at his attempt to persuade her. Then she stared directly into his eyes, and she acknowledged, with a deep sense of realization, that she loved him. This man, who had awoken her soul; she loved him, and she wanted to keep him. He was far too important to her to be played with. She knew that she couldn’t take chances with him. “I’m actually really busy right now, Matthew.” She lowered her gaze, not wanting to betray any emotion.

“Oh?” Matthew couldn’t hide his disappointment. “Maybe some other time then?”

“Maybe some other time.” Muna replied. But she knew it wouldn’t be some-other-time either.

After he walked away, Muna shut her front door and pressed her back against it heaving a sigh of relief. He was still hers – undeniably. She knew that there would come a time when she would have to let him go; but she also knew that when the time came, she would be good and ready. It was the same when, as an eight year old girl, she had run her business conglomerate and travelled first class all around the world; her parents had never understood her obsession with the Atlas or the pictures of food and high-class living she kept stuck in between the pages of the many books she read. She had let that go before she turned twelve and moved on to being a famed writer. But soon enough, she had lived that life too: written best sellers, held book readings, and answered fan mails. And then she was done.

It was the same when she obsessed over a particular house, and she commissioned an architect friend of hers to draw up the designs, only to spread them across her dining table to collect a daily dose of coffee stains. She would sit at the table for hours, not just imagining the possibilities, but finding contentment in the beautiful sketches. She would even research furniture that would go well in those spaces. Until she was bored; then she would get alterations or entirely new designs done.

It was the same when she obsessed about owning property abroad. She had called to enquire about a multimillion dollar house when she barely had a hundred thousand to her name. She needed to have the details to have a realistic picture in her mind; and the man who had answered her questions had been very polite. By his accent, he was either Indian or Pakistani. He told her what her options were, and advised her to look into acquiring a house that would yield the best return on her investment. Muna told him that she would think about it. But she knew that she didn't necessarily need to be pragmatic if she was living in her head; what would be the point? He called a few times to follow up with her, but Muna moved on from that dream really quickly and didn’t consider his information relevant anymore; so she simply stopped picking his calls.

Someday, she would move on from Matthew too.

Muna rubbed her belly to calm the restless butterflies. “It’s okay.” She said to them, “it’s alright.”

That night, as Matthew leaned in to kiss her, she traced his dimple with an index finger; “Hello” she welcomed the latest addition to her repertoire of details that made him clearer in her eyes, “You have the cutest smile in the world.” Every single detail had the potential to take her into an entirely different direction. With the inclusion of his dimples, she could start her life with Matthew all over again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Afonjashapmouth: 9:48am On Apr 30, 2018
Keep it coming....
Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Osasnidas(m): 10:24am On Apr 30, 2018
I like how the story took a new twist.. makes me wonder what happened in that two months.. after Matthew cried.. or is it the same Matthew or a different Matthew

1 Like

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by AvatarMode(m): 11:32am On Apr 30, 2018
Amazing. Precisely amazing...

1 Like

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 10, 2018
Finally, I have arrived grin

*Spreads her mat* cuppa at the ready, and action cool

Cut! I'll be back cry
Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 12, 2018
Waiting on a update like...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by HappyPagan: 12:00am On May 17, 2018
Writing that makes the heart warm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 03, 2018
Waiting..... sad

1 Like

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by Smooth278(m): 3:40am On Aug 03, 2018
Absolutely lovely piece, did not see the twist about her eccentricity coming...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Be Or Not To Be - A Story by MissWrite(f): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2018
Smooth278:
Absolutely lovely piece, did not see the twist about her eccentricity coming...

Thank you very much.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between 'Yours Sincerely' And 'Yours Faithfully' / Affordable And Reliable Content Writing Services / The 24-hour Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.