Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,375 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:02 AM

DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! (7890 Views)

Messi, Ronaldo & Ribery For UEFA Best Player Award 2012/2013 / Barcelona For Uefa Champions League Cup / Cristiano Ronaldo & Messi Among The 32 Nominees For Uefa's Best Player In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 10:39am On Mar 16, 2007
Oh boy, this DSTV vs HITV issue na die o!

Collins Khumalo, managing director of Multichoice Nigeria was on wednesday arrested by a combined team of NCC and police officials at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Abuja, venue of the BOB TV 2007 film festival.

The Nigerian Copyrights Commission (NCC) will this morning arraign him before the Federal High Court, Abuja, for allegedly pirating both Spanish La Liga and UEFA sporting events matches in Nigeria.

He was accused of infringing on the broadcast right won by HITV in August 2006, which allows it to show both Spanish La Liga and UEFA matches to Nigeria live.

It was said that Multichoice was warned by the NCC upon complaints by HITV about the alleged piracy but went ahead to show the matches for five weeks before it stopped.

The company was said to have been reported again to the NCC by HITV upon its defiance following which Khumalo was arrested by the police on Wednesday.

See the full story: - http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=45&a=11994

When this HITV go kick off sef? I wan subscribe o. These DSTV bills don tire me! tongue
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Abdblues(m): 11:24am On Mar 16, 2007
I sincerely hope Naija Politics is not coming into play here!! I tot it was the rights for the premiership that was won by HITV, now it extends to even the spanish liga and eufa matches!! Are TV rights won in the middle of the season??
Then what happens to the hundreds of thousands of existing DSTV subscribersHitherto, DSTV had been the only Satellite TV company of repute so if another reputable(?) cable company like HITV comes up, the market should be liberalized instaed of just tranfering the monopoly from one party to the other!!
@ Razorr: i am begining to suspect you, do you have shares in HITV or you just hate the guts of DSTV, which of the two
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2007
Oh boy! I hate DSTV with a passion! Those guys are ripping us off men! Their charges are outrageous, unlike in other parts of the world! They need to bring down their charges to gain my love! KAPISH! angry angry
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by RuuDie(m): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2007
dunno 'bout UEFA but i know that DsTV don't show La Liga matches 2 Naija viewers no more, so i guess they infringed on the UEFA bit; but why don't they just let DsTV run the shows till the end of this season 'cos one thing is 4 sure. HiTV ain't gonna start showin this matches this season - the season is drawin 2 a close!
but naija na wah o, couldn't they just get the court to subpoena the guy; did they have 2 go haul his ass like some criminal in the full glare of the international media - don't that just make us look bad?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 11:39am On Mar 16, 2007
Ruudie you're right. I tire o. . . But that's naija for you sha. . .

Anyhoo, let HITV start up first, so we can see what they have to offer. undecided
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by RuuDie(m): 11:42am On Mar 16, 2007
Razorr:

Oh boy! I hate DSTV with a passion! Those guys are ripping us off men! Their charges are outrageous, unlike in other parts of the world!

true but we can't complain 'bout their service - 4 an african setup they're pretty good @ what they do; just hope HiTV is as good as they're s'posed 2 be a4dable!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 11:45am On Mar 16, 2007
Ruudie, ask any of your friends in other parts of the world how much they pay for T.V. You'll be shocked at what you find. And they even watch as much as 300 channels.
We are suffering in this country o! So sad! cry
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by RuuDie(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2007
i know their charges are really high here as compared 2 other countries but u can't blame 'em; there's a dearth of quality programming here & they're just cashin in on that; in other countries, u've got other quality options, in P/H, a lot people use CTL even more than those that use DsTV.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Abdblues(m): 11:58am On Mar 16, 2007
Yeah i agree with you guys but that is the way the cookie crumbles! I have always argued that the monthly subscription fees for DSTV is way too much but that is what monopoly does to the market! The situation can just be likened to what happened in the gsm industry when Econet and mtn were just having a go at subscribers. It took the intervention of Glo for the price to come crashing seriuosly, that was possible because the market was open, everybody can provide all the services, it is left for the subscribers to choose the operator they want to go with. In the case too, let all the companies be able to show us the premiership and other sporting events, then we make the choice of of which satelite provider to go with. If their is no colaboration between them, the price should crash!!!This thing should be that simple!!Or wont we be back to square one if HITV takes advantage of its monopoly to incraese prices later on?
We cant make any valid case for HITV just yet , not until we see the quality of their channels and programming.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2007
You're right. Let us rally round HITV and give them our support, so that they can succeed and give us some quality broadcasting. If they do, things will be better in naija.
I think the whole rights issue is just politics. They would sort it out among themselves.
I just want the prices to come down, so that the average Nigerian would be able to afford it. If more Nigerians have access to quality TV, the local media houses would begin to sit up and stop broadcasting rubbish! angry
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by RuuDie(m): 12:10pm On Mar 16, 2007
yep --- well said!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2007
Razorr:

Ruudie, ask any of your friends in other parts of the world how much they pay for T.V. You'll be shocked at what you find. And they even watch as much as 300 channels.
We are suffering in this country o! So sad!  cry

Na lie.!DSTV offers value for money compared to what we pay here for simple football reasons

When I was in Nigeria,we paid 8,500 Naira and for that,you watched Serie A,La Liga,Premiership,Portuguese League,Champions League,FA Cup,Carling Cup,International games,Brazilian League .DSTV broadcast all the Premiership games (not all live) and you got to see the big teams regularly

In England for £42(10,000 Naira),you get to watch some Premiership matches,no Serie A(you have to subscribe to Setanta Sports) ,La Liga.If you want to watch more Premiership matches,you pay £80 for Sky Premplus for one season.Man Utd v Bolton is on Premplus.Even then some big games are not shown at all(Man U v Newcastle wasn't even televised.

FA Cup matches are shown anyway for free on the BBC.UEFA Cup matches are also shown for free so they don't form part of the subscription

What DSTV offers is a bargain and you won't realise it untill leave Nigeria.As for the the alleged 300 channels.There are probably about 100 and believe me most of them are unwatchable.Do you want to watch Indian TV?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2007
*laughing so hard on the floor and finding it difficult to get up*

Geez take it easy and stop getting a hard on! I won't argue with you, but consider this: -
What is the average income of the average nigerian? Compare that with the average income of the average English man. No comparison whatsoever!
So there is no reason why Nigerians should even be paying the same fee as Europeans. I keep saying this - Those guys are silly. Wouldn't it pay them more to bring down their prices and have millions of subscribers, rather than the few they are making do with now?  angry
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 7:53pm On Mar 16, 2007
@Razorr

If the cost of offering a product can only be recouped by charging a certain amount,only that amount can be charged.Arguably,the cost of running a satellite subscription biz is much higher in Naija than in the UK.

If DSTV could offer a lower rate that won't hurt their margins,they would gladly do it since this would boost their customer numbers.The fact that they are not is probably testament to the fact that this is the lowest they can afford to go from a business standpoint(remember they are a biz not a charity).

I suspect that this a case of a topshot(probably a politician) with Govt connections starting HITV and seeking to intimidate the competition while under the banner of offering lower cost alternative
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 8:03pm On Mar 16, 2007
I'd hate to say I told you so. DSTV subscribers, you've been **cked. I have no further comments.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 8:06pm On Mar 16, 2007
@Seun

Nigerians are so gullible embarassed By the time they realise what is happening,it will be too late
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Tmoni(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2007
@topic,
u neva know what u have until u lose it
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2007
@Tmoni

They haven't subscribed to Sky Digital or Virgin Media yet grin Then they will stop complaining

I will be paying £8(2,000 naira)to watch tommorow's match -Man Utd v Bolton.2,000 naira for 90 mins of football
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 16, 2007
4 Play:

@Tmoni

They haven't subscribed to Sky Digital or Virgin Media yet grin Then they will stop complaining

I will be paying £8(2,000 naira)to watch tommorow's match -Man Utd v Bolton.2,000 naira for 90 mins of football

I will be paying $0 (0 naira) to watch the Man Utd v Bolton game. Cant deny i got a bargain!  grin grin
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by otokx(m): 8:45pm On Mar 16, 2007
Here in Nigeria we are used to awoof and as such we don't value quality. The argument here is should a monopoly be transferred or the market liberalized. Trendtv that I use is so messed up I don't understand what they are saying.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by twinstaiye(m): 9:34pm On Mar 16, 2007
I said it too before, DSTV rips us off in this country, serves them right, I cried foul in the past when my 4,300 naira subscription does not entitled me to watch World Cup on DSTV, that is too high handed. See this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-15326.0.html
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 9:58pm On Mar 16, 2007
@twin

What do you expect for 4,300 Naira per month?You must have known the channels you will get for that amount
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by DrDre1(m): 11:06pm On Mar 16, 2007
DSTV subscription fee is way too much for a country like Nigeria. Too bad it has gotten to the level of arresting their boss but another point I want to make is that foreign companies do a lot of illegal things they can't do in their country in Nigeria because of corruption. If DSTV is truely guilty of the accusations, then let the law take its course. We should start sending signals out to everyone that "business as usual" can't continue anymore. Even at that, I won't support intimidation by anyone.

Some other factors also add to the cost indirectly like lack of constant power supply from PHCN so you have to generate power yourself again to enjoy your subscription. Then if you can scale that huddle, pray you don't spend over half of your viewing time in bad traffic trying to get home from work (or wherever) if you live in Lagos grin. The bottom line is that at the long run most subscribers underutilize their subscription.

As for HiTV, let's pray they will deliver quality services. If it eventually turns out completely to be transfer of monopoly of the business from DSTV to HiTV, at least we can console ourselves that it is our own people monoplizing the business and not some foreigners.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by smile4kenn(m): 5:04am On Mar 17, 2007
Here in Asia, we pay low as 750 naira a month
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by egoldman(m): 8:33am On Mar 17, 2007
smile4kenn:

Here in Asia, we pay low as 750 naira a month

nna u are very right there ,here in india i pay 300 rupees (less than 900 naira ) and i watch champ league,fa cup,english premier league,i even get to see copa libertados and even eufa cup .
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 8:42am On Mar 17, 2007
Yeah i tink its cheaper outside though.Its nt supposed to be up to 9k in 9ja.I have always prayed for DSTV to be sent out and am glad it finally happened.They are thieves.They shld make sure dey enjoy the profit dey made from 9ja.Crack ass
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 10:06am On Mar 17, 2007
If it eventually turns out completely to be transfer of monopoly of the business from DSTV to HiTV, at least we can console ourselves that it is our own people monoplizing the business and not some foreigners.
Using your logic, I guess we should be praising the Niger Delta kidnappers for extorting money from foreigners?
I guess we should be praising scammers for robbing foreigners to enrich themselves since they are "our people"?

I don't support the idea of robbing Peter to pay Paul. What is wrong is wrong, regardless of nationality.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 10:17am On Mar 17, 2007
@seun
I think the truth of the matter is that rich peeps like you would cry foul about the whole thing. But poor folks like me would be glad about it. I would be very happy to pay only 3,000 naira to watch my favourite channels, and watch premiership and champions league matches. Kapish!
I can't wait for HITV to kick off.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 17, 2007
you want good things ,yet you cant pay good money
butter no be monkey food!
if u cant afford Dstv stop complaining and watch your local AIT,NTA or channel 7 Iroyin
or better still you can go to any viewing centre and pay N50.
To watch Dstv no be by force
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 10:47am On Mar 17, 2007
I find the number of DSTV workers on this forum amazing! Abi na DSTV get the site? Listen, bennygee, take your sarcastic rich boy ass out of here and leave poor folks like us alone. Its not only rich people that should enjoy the good things of life! angry Poor folks should have fun too. What nonsense!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 10:54am On Mar 17, 2007
Razorr, most "poor" people I know cannot afford Internet access, yet here you are browsing on a Saturday morning. When I was "poor", my primary concern was not how to watch the UEFA champions league. I was thinking about how to become financially buoyant. The fact that you have time to follow European soccer shows that you are "rich".
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2007
Haaaaa Seun, how do you know I'm not browsing from a cyber cafe with 150 naira?  grin   grin   grin   grin
Also, please explain how following European soccer means anyone is financially buoyant!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Brentford - FA Cup - (4 - 0) - On 17th February 2013 / PSV Eindhoven Vs Arsenal UCL (1 - 1) On 12th December 2023 / Fulham Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On 2nd February 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.