Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,136 members, 7,807,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? (903 Views)

Would Nigeria Be Better Than It Is If Goodluck Jonathan Is President? / When Will Nigeria Be Like This Again? (Pictured) / The Lagos Of Our Dreams: This Is What Lagos Will Be Like By 2025 - Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by UncleSnr(m): 1:06pm On May 02, 2018
The legislature is an assemblage of the representatives of the people elected under a legal framework to make laws for the good health of the society. It is also defined as “the institutional body responsible for making laws for a nation and one through which the collective will of the people or part of it is articulated, expressed and implemented” (Okoosi-Simbine, 2010:1).

This clearly defines the functions and purpose of the senators in the running of a democratic system as it should be.

Before jumping to the answer, let’s quickly do a little analysis “the Senate vs the masses

According to Shehu Sani; Nigerian senators are entitled to monthly expenses of 13.5m naira (£27,000; $37,500), in addition to their monthly salaries of more than $2,000. Excluding other allowances and entitlements that are … classified of course.

Let’s assume I am an NYSC member and I earn ₦19,800naira ($55) as my salary (₦237600 naira annually) if compared with the annual salary (₦156,009,000 naira) earned by the Nigerian senators, the difference would be;

A Nigerian senator would earn my annual salary within 1hour 7minutes

I earned ₦0.91 in 2 minutes while a senator earns ₦595.12 in the same minutes.

Meanwhile, there are 109 senators in Nigeria and if each of them earns an annual pay of #156,009,000, the total salaries of all the senators for a year would be #17,004,981,000

Now to the answer:

What would Nigeria be like without senators?

- Since we practice bicameral legislature, the lower chamber (house of representatives) would probably assume the functions of the Senate and our legislative system would be changed to a unicameral one.

- All the legislative power would reside with the house of reps, therefore, the balance in the legislature would not be checked

- The cost of governance would definitely be reduced and transferred to other aspects that need funding

- However, the salaries of the reps would gradually swell

- Passage of bills would be swift and laws would be efficiently made (this may not be completely good for the country)

- If a particular political party is dominant in the house of reps, decisions of the house would be easily influenced

- There would be more uproar in the house

- Impeachment would happen swiftly and interested parties may revolt badly

- There would be authoritarian executives especially if the house is dominated by the party that the executives belong to

- The number of representatives from each state would be equalized so that no state would have more reps than the other.

- In the case whereby the number of representatives is still unequal, then there would be a conflict of interest among each of the 36 States which would eventually lead to the breakdown of the Nigerian legislature

The dearth of senators in a non-homogeneous society like ours will only lead to chaos everywhere with different sects springing up to demand a reformist on in the system on the basis of maladministration and marginalization. It will definitely cause a lot of havoc politically and otherwise because of the type of madness politics we have here. Under-representation would be a normal daily cry from all corners of the country if we had a functional democratic system here.

In conclusion: Nigeria is not democratically or politically ripe to practice a unicameral legislature. Hence, the functions of the Senate cannot be overemphasized or overlooked.

Source: https://medium.com/@emperorneco
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by dominique(f): 1:08pm On May 02, 2018
Sometimes I wonder myself if those senators and reps are really needed.
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by madridguy(m): 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
Scrap NASS
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by UncleSnr(m): 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
dominique:
cry Sadly, they are needed

The dearth of senators in a non-homogeneous society like ours will only lead to chaos everywhere with different sects springing up to demand a reformist on in the system on the basis of maladministration and marginalization. It will definitely cause a lot of havoc politically and otherwise because of the type of madness politics we have here. Under-representation would be a normal daily cry from all corners of the country if we had a functional democratic system here.
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by thesicilian: 1:11pm On May 02, 2018
They are a necessary evil, just like the following:
1. Mr. President himself
2. The police.
3. Politicians.
4. Bankers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 02, 2018
UncleSnr:
Source: https://learnvercity.com/3602/what-would-nigeria-be-like-without-senators/

The legislature is an assemblage of the representatives of the people elected under a legal framework to make laws for the good health of the society. It is also defined as “the institutional body responsible for making laws for a nation and one through which the collective will of the people or part of it is articulated, expressed and implemented” (Okoosi-Simbine, 2010:1).

This clearly defines the functions and purpose of the senators in the running of a democratic system as it should be.

Before jumping to the answer, let’s quickly do a little analysis “the Senate vs the masses

Let’s assume I am an NYSC member and I earn ₦19,800naira ($55) as my salary (₦237600 naira annually) if compared with the annual salary (₦156,009,000 naira) earned by the Nigerian senators, the difference would be;

A Nigerian senator would earn my annual salary within 1hour 7minutes

I earned ₦0.91 in 2 minutes while a senator earns ₦595.12 in the same minutes.

Meanwhile, there are 109 senators in Nigeria and if each of them earns an annual pay of #156,009,000, the total salaries of all the senators for a year would be #17,004,981,000

Now to the answer:

What would Nigeria be like without senators?

- Since we practice bicameral legislature, the lower chamber (house of representatives) would probably assume the functions of the Senate and our legislative system would be changed to a unicameral one.

- All the legislative power would reside with the house of reps, therefore, the balance in the legislature would not be checked

- The cost of governance would definitely be reduced and transferred to other aspects that need funding

- However, the salaries of the reps would gradually swell

- Passage of bills would be swift and laws would be efficiently made (this may not be completely good for the country)

- If a particular political party is dominant in the house of reps, decisions of the house would be easily influenced

- There would be more uproar in the house

- Impeachment would happen swiftly and interested parties may revolt badly

- There would be authoritarian executives especially if the house is dominated by the party that the executives belong to

- The number of representatives from each state would be equalized so that no state would have more reps than the other.

- In the case whereby the number of representatives is still unequal, then there would be a conflict of interest among each of the 36 States which would eventually lead to the breakdown of the Nigerian legislature

In conclusion: Nigeria is not democratically or politically ripe to practice a unicameral legislature. Hence, the functions of the Senate cannot be overemphasized or overlooked.

Source: https://learnvercity.com/3602/what-would-nigeria-be-like-without-senators/

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Analytical mind...Good job
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by jojomario(m): 1:23pm On May 02, 2018
I say it everytime. The Senate is a big root in the problem the Nation is facing. Just look at the salaries alone. Other constituency allocation is not there which one-tenth is not spent on any constituency but their pocket. And some other allowances.
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by Archangel15: 1:25pm On May 02, 2018
The senate is needed in this Buhari 's government if not it would turn to a tyranny

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by enlady(f): 1:55pm On May 02, 2018
I don't like headlines like this. Our democracy rests on a tripod: the judiciary, executive and legislature. We need it for balance.
We might be angry with the flamboyant remuneration of the legislature but there are several other leakages in the system. No one has examined the allowances of the executive. The APC is socially manipulating the people to demonize the legislature.

1 Like

Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by UncleSnr(m): 2:12pm On May 02, 2018
enlady:
I don't like headlines like this. Our democracy rests on a tripod: the judiciary, executive and legislature. We need it for balance.
We might be angry with the flamboyant remuneration of the legislature but there are several other leakages in the system. No one has examined the allowances of the executive. The APC is socially manipulating the people to demonize the legislature.
Did you read the post?
Read the answer and see...

lalasticlala
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by UncleSnr(m): 2:13pm On May 02, 2018
madridguy:
Scrap NASS
shocked So that the Executive can go overboard?
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by enlady(f): 2:27pm On May 02, 2018
I read the post. These days I hear people on the streets demonizing the legislature. You just replied to someone that wants the NASS scrapped.

UncleSnr:
Did you read the post?
Read the answer and see...

lalasticlala
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by UncleSnr(m): 2:34pm On May 02, 2018
enlady:
I read the post. These days I hear people on the streets demonizing the legislature. You just replied to someone that wants the NASS scrapped.

All BMCs on Nairaland has the same mindset. Half-baked brain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by Zdoh(m): 5:51pm On May 02, 2018
It is well
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:49am On May 17, 2018
dominique:
Absence of legislature gives room for absolute dictatorship.

The problem isn't the legislature, the problem is actually the players.

If you scrap Senate you will get a replica of State Legislature at the federal level, RUBBER STAMP! This is because the President will only ensure his "boy" is Speaker. However, with both Houses, there is checks and balance even among the legislature and very difficult to have both houses under grip.

During Obj's he had it tough with both Houses, Yar'adua had a bit smooth ride with both but Jonathan had it smooth in the Senate but tough with the House of Representative. Buhari now is having it a bit smooth in the House of Representative but tough in the Senate. The benefit here is that no one had/has the legislature under grip like we see in states.

Nigeria's problem is 90% people and 10% problem.

We had parliamentary system and abused it, we switched to Presidential system and still abuse it. Our politicians are generally uninterested in country's development but only for the enlargement of their stomach.
Re: What Would Nigeria Be Like Without Senators? by orisa37: 1:40pm On May 17, 2018
It would be suicidal to be limited to the House of Rascals.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Regrets Not Supporting Jonathan In Last Election / BREAKING: Moody’s Declares Nigeria’s 2018 Capital Budget Unrealistic / See Photos Of Fayose With Neck Collar & Arm Sling After Police Teargassed Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.