Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,052 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant (40104 Views)

Nigerian Man Asked To Leave UK After His Cheating Wife Files For Divorce / Nigerian Children - Boys Were Asked To Slap A Girl. See What Happened Next! / Lady Accused Of Abandoning Her House Help At A Restaurant Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Lexusgs430: 3:52am On May 03, 2018
DHighPries:
FAKE NEWS

Hes's not a NIGERIAN.
Why cant you guys verify an information before making it public.

He's from Trinidad and Tobago.

(CNN)The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has ordered a Toronto restaurant to pay a black customer $10,000 Canadian dollars for racially discriminating against him and his friends.

Emile Wickham was celebrating his 28th birthday with three friends when the group decided to grab a bite at Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant on May 3, 2014.
The four were the only black patrons in the restaurant, Wickham said, and they were stunned when the waiter demanded they pay before they were served
When the group complained, they were told it was policy, according to their testimony.
"I still felt skeptical, so then I approached other tables," Wickham told CNN. No one else he spoke with had been asked to prepay, he said.
"There was frustration initially. And that frustration turned into a feeling of dejection and sadness," he said.
The restaurant's response
Nearly a year after the incident, Wickham, who is originally from Trinidad and Tobago, could not stop thinking about what happened.
As the anniversary approached, he filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal.
The restaurant said it had seen an influx of dine-and-dash incidents, and that it asked customers who weren't "regulars" to prepay, according to the ruling.
But adjudicator Esi Codjoe said she found no evidence such a policy was real. Earlier this month, she ruled the restaurant had racially profiled the students.
It says it will appeal
In a statement shared with CNN, Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant expressed deep concern over the situation and highlighted that management has since changed.
"There are a number of sensitivities and considerations about this situation, and for that reason, the tribunal outcome is under appeal by legal representatives.
"At this time we cannot comment further, beyond emphasizing that the current owner and staff are dedicated to be a committed, inclusive and responsible member of the community."
Wickham said he will continue to fight his case if needed.
"It happens in our daily life, work life, social activity," he said.
"The average Canadian never calls themselves racist, but if a significant part of the population have legitimate stories of being discriminated against, this has to be seen beyond the scope of a restaurant claim."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/world/toronto-restaurant-discrimination-trnd/index.html

Don't blame the Mods that moved it to front page as is, but the OP that has doctored the story......

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by DHighPries: 3:55am On May 03, 2018
Most are not commenting due to nationality, but colour..... [/quote]

It doesnt matter what people are commenting on. What matters is the right information must always be disseminated. What the OP did was wrong thou. This is a gross misinformation.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by CaptainFM1: 3:57am On May 03, 2018
koxi:
Good one...
Even here in the U.S. we face different forms of racism and discrimination...

Even here in Nigeria we are the greatest racist on earth.
Nigerians don't even like Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by moshino(m): 4:01am On May 03, 2018
martinlooter:
If I have five Friends, we will just do eat and run, when these restaurants ask us to prepay, we sue and get 10k to share

All of you saying you want to sleep, me I can't sleep, cos I am so broke I can't buy data, I am only using MTN Pulse night plan at N25. After now, I can't browse till 12midnight tomorrow.

If you want to buy data for me, my number is 08138129166. I will appreciate.
Thanks

If can't buy data, and you didn't make money with the the one you had, then you shouldn't have data. Stop begging and stop waisting money.
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by CaptainFM1: 4:08am On May 03, 2018
ebuk4real:
Canada, here I cometh...

Discriminate me & I screw you....

Abeg if you screw someone, you will be charge for sexual assault. No screw anybody ooo. Just sue them for $50,000 if they discriminate you.
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by RaptorX: 4:11am On May 03, 2018
The dude is from Trinidad and Tobago but for the purpose of sensationalism it was changed to Nigeria. Too many fake click and bait stories on this forum nowadays that I take anything I read here with a grain of salt.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by vioment: 4:15am On May 03, 2018
Am not worried about how anybody treats us, am worried about how we treat ourselves.

We do worse and feel good about it. We need to change our habits so that people will think well before they try us. Africa goes how we go, and we are not leading by example.

If I fit see the affected guy, i go say take heart and thank goodness you are in a principled country where your even immigrant voice can be heard and respected. Our country don't have that, na gra gra dey reign supreme here.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Nobody: 4:20am On May 03, 2018
-

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Kophschmerzen: 4:21am On May 03, 2018
This Asians can be annoying, get to grab chow at the Chinese downtown. The dude literally told to go to the backyard that the plates are there. I was like, I don't wash plate. I wanna grab chow, I just left the place and go do some home cooking.
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Nobody: 4:24am On May 03, 2018
Asians are the most racist humans on earth. Even when they are in foreign countries, they still do that.

Canada oyibos wey get land never do racism na those albinoish chinko idiots. Thank you bro for suing their albino asses. angry
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Sluttypriestess: 4:24am On May 03, 2018
Racism has never been meanified... It's just one headless topic from the pit of hell
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 4:28am On May 03, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Don't blame the Mods that moved it to front page as is, but the OP that has doctored the story......

That is correct, the title is misleading. I read the story when it first come out and the guy is from Trinidad and not Nigeria. I wondered why OP doctored the title and story.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Lexusgs430: 4:31am On May 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

That is correct, the title is misleading. I read the story when it first come out and the guy is from Trinidad and not Nigeria. I wondered why OP doctored the title and story.

Possibly FP hunting or attention seeking blogger......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 4:34am On May 03, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Possibly FP hunting or attention seeking blogger......

How pathetic this is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 4:37am On May 03, 2018
BeckyLynch:
I really support the motive of the restaurant!

Not everything is racially motivated as some inferiority complex laden Blacks usually paint it.

It could have been that blacks especially Nigerians usually run away in that restaurant without paying after their meal. Blacks are very terrible people. Am certain of what am saying because I have seen them do it most times in Italy. Nigerians just eat and bolt! They call it "street meal". So, I won't be surprised if this man has experienced it so many times from some shitt holeans and decided not to sell to blacks especially Nigerians!

Now that it has been revealed the guy is from Trinidad and not from Nigeria, what is your take on the bolded?

cc: TheUpsetGirl

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Boss13: 4:41am On May 03, 2018
Opposite:
he's not Nigerian.

but what was wrong with him asking if he could help you? where in 'sauga is this?

Meadowvale town Centre. The restaurant name is Symposium. Very wrong to ask if he could help me. How about what can I get for you. It’s a restaurant for Pete sake and I was there to either eat or drink. It wasn’t my first time there, but my first time to encounter him. I expressed myself to the Jamaican waitress and he was fortunate because I was on a call to Nigeria when he spat those useless words to me. He later became friendly when my order came. I later listen to his conversation with other customers m, especially white and I heard him say “what can I offer you”. Well the way I replied him like i almost wanted to push him away. How can he ask me if he could help me - did I look like I can’t feed myself again?

They say Canadians are polite but that’s nonsense. Some of them have this innate biased view against blacks. Even today, I went to Canadian Art Wholesalers and I wanted to get some art paintings and I meet the owner, I believe so who later told me he was Polish, another racist country. He was polite to me, I must confess and told me to look around. I was browsing the gallery and I noticed a white old man creeping on me suspiciously and I looked at him with a bloody shot and he asked if he could assist. Turned out he was the shop assistance or whoever he is. The bloody white man even duped me. I bought two paintings - one for $486 and another for $300. I told this man to do the second one for $200 and he said if I’m serious and I said I’m serious let’s shake hands. Can you imagine that this bloody white man looked at my hand and didn’t flinched. I smiled and in my mind - what a fool you are! Only for him to write $300 and pretended like he didn’t hear me properly. He asked how I got to know about them and I said online and he said everyone goes online now and nobody does yellow pages - Yellowpages in this recent time, no wonder you are so biased and possibly uneducated. What is wrong with some people sometimes?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by SmartMugu: 4:46am On May 03, 2018
Boss13:
That was how one Asian man asked me today at a restaurant in Mississauga if he could help me. The way I squeeze my face answer am, he quickly respected himself. I was highly disappointed because I visit the restaurant frequently despite the fact they gave me rice without seasoning and salmon to eat the last time. He was very fortunate that I was in good spirit else I would have raised my voice against his discrimination. Nonsense!
So, what's the moral behind this story of yours? Just asking to understand what sense ure trying to make after reading ur epistle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Boss13: 4:52am On May 03, 2018
SmartMugu:

So, what's the moral behind this story of yours? Just asking to understand what sense ure trying to make after reading ur epistle.

Go to bed if your reasoning faculty is clouded

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Nobody: 4:53am On May 03, 2018
Ifa meeee dat shocked

I gats to get paid! Whopp my ass, give me my cash grin
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by YourNemesis: 4:57am On May 03, 2018
Uyi168:
ETHNIC sentiments we practise here is far worse..

I was about to say the same thing.... lol

Nigerians be tribal fucktards at home but will go abroad to start claiming "racism" towards them.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Ugosample(m): 5:01am On May 03, 2018
BeckyLynch:
I really support the motive of the restaurant!

Not everything is racially motivated as some inferiority complex laden Blacks usually paint it.

It could have been that blacks especially Nigerians usually run away in that restaurant without paying after their meal. Blacks are very terrible people. Am certain of what am saying because I have seen them do it most times in Italy. Nigerians just eat and bolt! They call it "street meal". So, I won't be surprised if this man has experienced it so many times from some shitt holeans and decided not to sell to blacks especially Nigerians!

You have a point

black folks can really misbehave
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 5:03am On May 03, 2018
Boss13:

Meadowvale town Centre. The restaurant name is Symposium. Very wrong to ask if he could help me . How about what can I get for you. It’s a restaurant for Pete sake and I was there to either eat or drink. It wasn’t my first time there, but my first time to encounter him. I expressed myself to the Jamaican waitress and he was fortunate because I was on a call to Nigeria when he spat those useless words to me. He later became friendly when my order came. I later listen to his conversation with other customers m, especially white and I heard him say “what can I offer you”. Well the way I replied him like i almost wanted to push him away. How can he ask me if he could help me - did I look like I can’t feed myself again? Plus he was even Asian

I am usually on high alert when it comes to issues of subtle racism.

But seriously bro, I got some issue with your case.
Him asking you "Can I help you" instead of "what can I get for you" could have just been a poor choice of words.

It seems to me that you are extremely sensitive but I don't blame you. We may just need people like you to eradicate everyday racism. Just as Malcolm X said by any means necessary.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by spiritedtete: 5:05am On May 03, 2018
hischoice:
The narratives have to change.

We've all got these biases. We've thought it in our hearts. Sometimes, careless enough to let it out through our mouths and our deeds.

It's just a rather too sensitive place our world's become.

Would you continue to serve non-prepaying Yorubas in your restaurants if 20-30% of his kind bail after dining every day?

And this, sure wouldn't be about you being his brother or not. First instinct is the survival of your business viz-a-viz your wife, daughters and/or sons.

No business, in today's world, I believe sets out to be deliberately racially discriminatory; so much as to push the agenda through their staff training.

I live, not in Nigeria and I have been racially discriminated against. Yes. But not more than I have been ethnically profiled back home. And no less than I have, subconsciously, racially and ethnically profiled persons too; and acted favourably or otherwise based on my bias.

What I have learned therefore is to relish the moment if I find myself a victim today (so long there is no threat to my life). The table turns rather too often.

And if for some reasons my villain and I would have to endure a medium to long term relationship (like co-workers), what I do is work on myself, my attutudes, et al to earn his trust. The humanity in him will prevail.

So you have to work hard to earn his trust?.... and where a tout in his or her skin colour is much treated with respect.

I beg to disagree.

Though I see you to be a very Libra person.. but bros don't wait till you are being shot before you get ready for war. Always prepare.

However, there is just little you could do. It is their country and even if you are a citizen... your skin colour is a bold identification that you are not from there.

Haven't said all this... the only point you need to prove is for the world to see that you are a blessing to humanity.

Truth be told, I have been Where i have been mobbed like a hero by the other skin colour, being the only black in that community. They take pictures with me give me gifts etc. However, within the same country in another state. When I greet them they don't even answer. Their countenance looks like "you have come to steal yeah". Even all my neighbours don't talk to me. You can imagine that... I have to run before they kill me.

Well my point is you don't have to wait till you earn their trust... because that is not going to happen. It will only look like it has happened.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Boss13: 5:12am On May 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

I am usually on high alert when it comes to issues of subtle racism. I had also won a huge payout in a discrimination complaint that I had lodged with the Ontario Human Right commission in the past.

But seriously bro, I got some issue with your case.
Him asking you "Can I help you" instead of "what can I get for you" could have just been a poor choice of words.

It seems to me that you are extremely sensitive but I don't blame you. We may need people like you to eradicate everyday racism

I’m going to bring it to his attention if I visit next time and I will give him the washing of his life in a subtle way. He stood in front of me on the aisle like he was trying to prevent me from moving and I gave him a stern look and told him I want to eat and where can I sit. When I sat down. I beckoned on him with my finger to come serve me (Nollywood style). The useless man told me one of the waitresses would attend to me. It seemed like he is either the manager or he owned the place. Whichever it is, I will address him properly, so he would feel embarrassed that a black man is whooping his ass with superior English diction because of his ridiculous biased attitude. I think Blacks don’t need to scream. Hold your peace, smile and slap their ignorance with knowledge.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by chukxie(m): 5:19am On May 03, 2018
Racism in any form is bad. Nobody should be discriminated against because of the colour of his skin. Last time I checked, the content of a man's character has nothing- absolutely nothing- to do with the colour of the skin his bones are covered with. Racism in any form or shape should be frowned upon. The same way ethnic profiling, religious profiling et al should be frowned upon. With that out of the way, let me say sometimes the crimes and unsavoury behaviours of some blacks against blacks and non-blacks keep reenforcing the stereotype that a vast majority of blacks deserve to be accorded little sense of civility when dealing with them. I've listened to whites and Asians laying out reasons why they not are of having any sort of dealings with blacks especially Nigerians. Some years ago, an atrocious trend was started by some Nigerians in Seoul, South Korea. What those good-for-nothings lots were doing was bailing from taxis without paying the taxi fare. They'd alight a block away from their destination, pat their pockets as though they were retrieving some money then bolt like Usain Bolt! When taxi drivers in Itaewon ( a bustling part of Seoul) realised blacks were fiddling them, almost all of them stopped picking black passengers. The evil of a minute number of blacks literally robbed off on the entire black community in Seoul. So sometimes before we scream racism, we should first take a minute to look into the situation or situations leading up to whatever ugly position we find ourselves as blacks.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Btruth: 5:20am On May 03, 2018
Chinese or Chinese restaurant that are immigrants too in Canada? ......and they are doing "yamayama" for black guys?

.....but what is the problem with this Chinese dudes?

anyway, naa Buhari I blame

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheUpsetGirl(m): 5:24am On May 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

Now that it has been revealed the guy is from Trinidad and not from Nigeria, what is your take on the bolded?

cc: TheUpsetGirl

the main post shows he's from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 5:28am On May 03, 2018
chukxie:
Racism in any form is bad. Nobody should be discriminated against because of the colour of his skin. Last time I checked, the content of a man's character has nothing- absolutely nothing- to do with the colour of the skin his bones are covered with. Racism in any form or shape should be frowned upon. The same way ethnic profiling, religious profiling et al should be frowned upon. With that out of the way, let me say sometimes the crimes and unsavoury behaviours of some blacks against blacks and non-blacks keep reenforcing the stereotype that a vast majority of blacks deserve to be accorded little sense of civility when dealing with them. I've listened to whites and Asians laying out reasons why they not are of having any sort of dealings with blacks especially Nigerians. Some years ago, an atrocious trend was started by some Nigerians in Seoul, South Korea. What those good-for-nothings lots were doing was bailing from taxis without paying the taxi fare. They'd alight a block away from their destination, pat their pockets as though they were retrieving some money then bolt like Usain Bolt! When taxi drivers in Itaewon ( a bustling part of Seoul) realised blacks were fiddling them, almost all of them stopped picking black passengers. The evil of a minute number of blacks literally robbed off on the entire black community in Seoul. So sometimes before we scream racism, we should first take a minute to look into the situation or situations leading up to whatever ugly position we find ourselves as blacks.

I like the way you started by condemning racism but your conclusion sucked given that you are justifying racism in the end.
White people commit a lot of crimes as well. We have so many white serial rapists, serial killers ... but given that they are white, each one of them is accountable for his own sins.
But when it comes to black people, we all pay the price whenever a black person commit a crime

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 5:30am On May 03, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:

the main post shows he's from Nigeria.

He is not an Nigerian. Google his name and read the story. The person who posted it here had doctored the story

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheUpsetGirl(m): 5:37am On May 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

He is not an Nigerian. Google his name and read the story. The person who posted it here had doctored the story

I don't care.. he's a bloody Nigerian cheesy cheesy grin grin

Nigerians been disgracing Africans since time immemorial
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheCongo2: 5:38am On May 03, 2018
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Nobody: 5:49am On May 03, 2018
-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures You Can Relate To If Your Mum Is A Typical African Mum / Anthonia Aniemene Dead: Widow Falls Sick, Dies, Was Forced To Drink Concoction / Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.