Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Why Writers Should Have A Journal - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Writers Should Have A Journal (1209 Views)

Up-and-coming Writers Should Let Diligence And Criticism Be Their Bedfellows / Young African Writers Should Read, Write, Learn And Strive To Be Successful / Kanu: The Journal Of A Rogue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Wordsmithpraise(m): 11:47am On May 04, 2018
Why Writers Should Have A Journal.

You must be thinking, Why write in a journal when I can just type onto my PC. Truthfully, One of the valuable tools I've found since I started taking my writing seriously is my writing journal. This book, is where I write down every idea I have. Some I may use, some I won't, but the journal helps me sort them out and keep them organized.

READ ALSO : FIVE TIPS TO HELP YOU BECOME A BETTER WRITER

Sometimes I get and idea for story or poem and then I keep it in my head for a long time that when I need it I can't remember anymore. You can't possibly store all your ideas in your head. Thoughts come and go, but if you write it down in journal, you'd be able to look back on it later when you need it.

Importance of Keeping A Writer's Journal

Read below, why you should have a journal for your writings.
1) Keeping A Writer's Journal Fosters creativity:

Keeping a journal is one of the best tools to practice your writing and to make sure you keep writing.
Make a particular commitment for a month. Everyday you write something, your fears, worries, channel into words and journal it.

2) Keeping A Writer's Journal Keeps you sane:

I've had scenarios where I've got too many thoughts in my head or I just can't stop thinking. I needed to pour out my thoughts, so I get my journal and write. It helps clear the mind.

READ ALSO: COMMON MISTAKES MADE BY CREATIVE WRITERS

3) It Serves As A Bank Of Thought:

At some point you'd wanna go back and look at your previous writing. You get inspiration from reading your journal and sometimes you learn from your mistakes.

"A writer can use a journal to reflect upon events and gain perspective on the past."

4) It Brings Inspiration And Helps Overcome Writers Block:

Going through your previous writings, it helps bring inspiration. Writing daily helps enhances creativity. It helps one get focused and gets the words flowing - thereby overcoming writers block.

Now that you've read all this. I'm sure you'd be interested in having a writing journal too.
Let me know what you think in the comment section.

Written By
Praise Osawaru

1 Like

Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Faith101: 2:25pm On May 04, 2018
Great!
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by EvaJael(f): 8:37pm On May 04, 2018
I'm buying my journal tomorrow morning. Thanks a lot Wordsmithpraise

1 Like

Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by HORLADSTAR(m): 8:48am On May 06, 2018
It's a pity i ve opt out of writing,all these stuff use to wake up my nerve to go back into writing but i can't just but all d same i wish all naija and nairaland writer a prosperous life,(we too get talent no be small).

1 Like

Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Jaffbay: 2:59pm On May 06, 2018
I need writers, what's App via 08036254487.
Best regards,
Jaffbay.
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Wordsmithpraise(m): 8:20pm On May 07, 2018
HORLADSTAR:
It's a pity i ve opt out of writing,all these stuff use to wake up my nerve to go back into writing but i can't just but all d same i wish all naija and nairaland writer a prosperous life,(we too get talent no be small).

There's still hope for you bro.
Writing is Life

1 Like

Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by FESPO(m): 4:42am On Jun 02, 2018
I'm sure that if I post that I need writers, over 10 writers(both good and bad) will message me within a day. Many writers are not tired of being slaves, all they can invest is their time and maybe proficiency for those that are proficent, they don't want to invest anything financially because they are afraid to take risks. Lemme tell you, this life is a scam, to make it in life you have to take some risks. "TO WIN BIG, YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO TAKE BIG RISKS" --- Bill Gates.

Now, if you find this is useful, it's cool and if you find it useless, you can ignore it. To be sincere, I'm tired of enslaving writers, I'm ready to show you how to make it with freelancing(upwork).

Kindly contact me on whatsapp @ 08140056707 for your upwork account and I'll also be glad to give you tips to make you sucessful on upwork because I can confidently say that I'm a sucessful freelancer on upwork but many Nigerians find it difficult to manover their ways. Contact me I'll give you tips.
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Wordsmithpraise(m): 9:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
FESPO:
I'm sure that if I post that I need writers, over 10 writers(both good and bad) will message me within a day. Many writers are not tired of being slaves, all they can invest is their time and maybe proficiency for those that are proficent, they don't want to invest anything financially because they are afraid to take risks. Lemme tell you, this life is a scam, to make it in life you have to take some risks. "TO WIN BIG, YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO TAKE BIG RISKS" --- Bill Gates.

Now, if you find this is useful, it's cool and if you find it useless, you can ignore it. To be sincere, I'm tired of enslaving writers, I'm ready to show you how to make it with freelancing(upwork).

Kindly contact me on whatsapp @ 08140056707 for your upwork account and I'll also be glad to give you tips to make you sucessful on upwork because I can confidently say that I'm a sucessful freelancer on upwork but many Nigerians find it difficult to manover their ways. Contact me I'll give you tips.

What about Fiverr?
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by IamEga1(m): 1:52am On Jun 18, 2018
You are right.
Wordsmithpraise:

What about Fiverr?
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by Ayshakhan922(m): 5:16pm On Nov 04, 2018
It is very important to keep a journal with you especially if you are a writer. There are people who think that it is unnecessary because the technology has advanced and people like to utilize these latest and more advanced gadgets and don’t go for that conventional concept of journals. But the truth is that if you have a journal then you would be able to jot your thoughts down in sequence and organized way. You can put down your thoughts in bullets and sometimes you use them and other times you don’t. All of this depends on your fusion of thinking and amalgamation of ideas in which you utilize dissimilar thoughts. Actually, I was looking for Bullet journal ideas but there is a piece of information which every student take a look of it.
Re: Why Writers Should Have A Journal by meobizy(f): 7:46pm On Jul 12, 2019
Ayshakhan922:
It is very important to keep a journal with you especially if you are a writer. There are people who think that it is unnecessary because the technology has advanced and people like to utilize these latest and more advanced gadgets and don’t go for that conventional concept of journals. But the truth is that if you have a journal then you would be able to jot your thoughts down in sequence and organized way. You can put down your thoughts in bullets and sometimes you use them and other times you don’t. All of this depends on your fusion of thinking and amalgamation of ideas in which you utilize dissimilar thoughts. Actually, I was looking for Bullet journal ideas but there is a piece of information which every student take a look of it.
Isn’t the diary section here more like a journal?

I’ve created diary entries in this forum and recently started a physical paper and pen journal.
The difference so far is thoughts fly faster when typing.
My handwriting also annoyed me but now it’s taking form.
As for content, I don’t see any difference so far.
If anything my physical journal has shorter entries due to finger fatigue.

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To My Wife. If You Could Forgive Me Before I Die. / FICTION: NK, The Adulterous Wife [part 1] / Latest Kenneth Hagin Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.