Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,765 members, 7,806,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Should We Call It A New Beginning? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Should We Call It A New Beginning? (7690 Views)

In The End...The Beginning (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / THE BACHELORS.(Sex was only the beginning)-18+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 10:42am On May 09, 2018
Good morning everyone. I'm so sorry the thread's been so quiet for a while. I kind of got busy again.
So, I thought I should ask the writers in the house something today. What influences the setting of your story? Do you find it easy to just pick a location or you have to go through a tough time to determine where your book should be set?
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Skylard101(m): 12:13pm On May 09, 2018
Am Ayokanmi Boluwatife . Or you can call me Marvel any which ways. I just started my first story, ALPHA SQUAD.
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 09, 2018
Evajael you summoned me grin I'm still on exam matter o. I will finally face 'Oga physics' tomorrow. embarassed

Hello everyone, I'm kimberlywest, grin don't worry, I'm not in any way related to Kanye West or the Kardashians, Just a pen name. So far, I've written 3 stories, Love Hiccups, Rabbit love and one that I can't recall the name now cheesy Newton's laws of motion has taken it place in my memory.

So sorry that some part of love hiccups had to be pulled down and I'm also super sorry for the long absence, school things smiley I hope to be more active on nairaland and probably drop a story after my exams.

Evajael thanks for your effort, sincerely I also noticed how silent this place became all of a sudden.

To our new writers wink welcome on board!

*drops pen*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Centino: 10:49am On May 15, 2018
EvaJael:
Good morning everyone. I'm so sorry the thread's been so quiet for a while. I kind of got busy again.
So, I thought I should ask the writers in the house something today. What influences the setting of your story? Do you find it easy to just pick a location or you have to go through a tough time to determine where your book should be set?

Sorry just seeing this. I feel committed to this thread so let's do it.

For me, the setting comes with the inspiration. If a story is about common people, I won't be thinking Rolling Hills California or Lekki Lagos. I will drive to mushin or Ajegunle and feel the place if I have to and then pick up my pen the following day wink
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 11:10am On May 15, 2018
Centino:

Sorry just seeing this. I feel committed to this thread so let's do it.

For me, the setting comes with the inspiration. If a story is about common people, I won't be thinking Rolling Hills California or Lekki Lagos. I will drive to mushin or Ajegunle and feel the place and then pick up my pen the following day wink
Thank you so much dear. Wow! I find it really difficult sha. Most of my write ups are set in Nigeria but Nigeria always seem so biggggg. I have issues choosing a particular place.
Shewrites
Angelsss
Onetop
Kayo80
Holarbolu
Itsandi
Cbella
Rachealfst
Andyglobal
Tosintee

Mention others please
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 11:12am On May 15, 2018
KimberlyWest:
Evajael you summoned me grin I'm still on exam matter o. I will finally face 'Oga physics' tomorrow. embarassed

Hello everyone, I'm kimberlywest, grin don't worry, I'm not in any way related to Kanye West or the Kardashians, Just a pen name. So far, I've written 3 stories, Love Hiccups, Rabbit love and one that I can't recall the name now cheesy Newton's laws of motion has taken it place in my memory.

So sorry that some part of love hiccups had to be pulled down and I'm also super sorry for the long absence, school things smiley I hope to be more active on nairaland and probably drop a story after my exams.

Evajael thanks for your effort, sincerely I also noticed how silent this place became all of a sudden.

To our new writers wink welcome on board!

*drops pen*

Success baby. We waiting for you to join us as soon as you finish exam
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Centino: 11:46am On May 15, 2018
EvaJael:

Thank you so much dear. Wow! I find it really difficult sha. Most of my write ups are set in Nigeria but Nigeria always seem so biggggg. I have issues choosing a particular place.

Well, that may be down to "style". I already spoke about how I write. I'm inclined to developing the characters and putting the focus on their experiences. I set a (traditionally published)novel in Port Harcourt before ever setting foot in the city and you won't be able to tell reading the book. Tried that when I read about James Hardly Chase setting his novels in America without actually knowing the place. It resonated with me because I believe it doesn't matter if you know what you're doing.
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by sistasmiley: 4:54pm On May 15, 2018
Evajael. I'm one hellova reader and your ardent follower. You might not remember me cos this is a new moniker. I used to go by the moniker, ochyglowsglows. And I commented a couple of times on Hidden Diamonds. I am an ardent follower of you, Centino, Chumzypinky, Souloho19, Marianneada, Rachealfst, Theblessedman, Kimberlywest, TiffanyJ. Pls I need links to new stories

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by queenitee(f): 6:11pm On May 15, 2018
EvaJael:

Thanks dear. Queenitee comman see your reading partner o
Ayaff arrived, after exams grin grin
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by queenitee(f): 6:12pm On May 15, 2018
Eberechi24:

alright. am always at your back. mention whenever you start

she's really a vibrant reader i must admit also, very supporting and encouraging. I admire her zealous commitment toward stories and its writers.
Thanks sis #kizzez
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by queenitee(f): 6:14pm On May 15, 2018
EvaJael:

Big sister. I know I can always count on you. Oya tell us who are the new hot writers, I know you read for Africa
Have you read Divepen1 new stories esp 'A dread in the spine'
What about kayo80 'Tiwatope's redemption'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Divepen1(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2018
queenitee:
Have you read Divepen1 new stories esp 'A dread in the spine' What about kayo80 'Tiwatope's redemption'
Thanks for the shout out
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Divepen1(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2018
queenitee:
Have you read Divepen1 new stories esp 'A dread in the spine' What about kayo80 'Tiwatope's redemption'
Thanks for the shout out

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by seunadeolu(m): 8:47pm On May 15, 2018
Welcome grin

Present here,new writer fireforGod,writer of jungle justice and campus life
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 10:17pm On May 15, 2018
sistasmiley:
Evajael. I'm one hellova reader and your ardent follower. You might not remember me cos this is a new moniker. I used to go by the moniker, ochyglowsglows. And I commented a couple of times on Hidden Diamonds. I am an ardent follower of you, Centino, Chumzypinky, Souloho19, Marianneada, Rachealfst, Theblessedman, Kimberlywest, TiffanyJ. Pls I need links to new stories
Awwwnnnn, I remember you my sweetest. How are you?
Queenitee has mentioned A Dread In The Spine by Divepen1 and Tiwatope's Redemption by Kayo80. You can check them out. On the first page of this thread, there are links to some stories too. Welcome dear
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by kayo80(m): 6:53am On May 16, 2018
EvaJael:

Shewrites
Angelsss
Onetop
Kayo80
Holarbolu
Itsandi
Cbella
Rachealfst
Andyglobal
Tosintee

Mention others please

Hey Evajael...

As for me, I like to make my stories feel as real as possible to me, so I use real locations...i might change somethings a bit, but I use real locations in most of my stories. Well, most of my stories are inspired by real life events anyway, so using real life locations I am familiar with makes me more passionate about writing the stories.

I have lived in a lot of different locations in Lagos, Ogun state, Ibadan, and Anambra, so i have a lot of options when it comes to using real life locations. The main character determines which setting I decide to use.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by kayo80(m): 6:55am On May 16, 2018
queenitee:

Have you read Divepen1 new stories esp 'A dread in the spine'
What about kayo80 'Tiwatope's redemption'

Thanks for the shout out.

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by rachealfst(f): 2:46pm On May 16, 2018
Welcome back Evajael. Just got your mention.
Hi everyone,I'm Toyin Taiwo. A writer and an ardent NL reader. I love this literature section like......and I say it every time, I see everyone here as families except the ghost reader. Before nko who will make friends with ghost. Shout out to all our supportive readers on this platform that makes us do better. I said this because I sat down and analyse my works and I realized it gets better from "I fell in love to Wrong Number Anike and Broken Hedge" Nairalanders have this positive impact on once writing and you'll always have that zeal of not wanting to disappoint. And I bless God for being my source of inspiration.

I wish the silent readers understands that their comments goes a long way. It encourages, shapes and sharpens us, that's the truth.

Except Anike, I completed all my stories here on Nairaland. Although after some time, I pull some part down. My goal as a writer is to impact lives including mine positively through writing.
......Let me stop here.

As for the question about Location. I want readers to relate with the story so I make it real by using real locations. I only write within Nigeria especially areas I'm familiar with or know little about and sometimes locations I've never been to but real. I love it when readers can relate with the location. I like it when readers say "oh my school or my area or my state" because I feel the same way too when the settings used in a story is someplace I can relate with.

As for the quiet literature section, it solely lies on writers. If this place is bubbling, it's them. But one of the things that discourages writers is when people are taking credit for their sweat. Some writers stop posting once they discover this. I don't think any writer will start a story without having the mind to complete it. But stuffs like this slow them down.

Fine, it's online we all know anything that comes out here has already been made public and will go viral through share and all but please can this people just learn to acknowledge the writer when sharing? That is what any writer would want. We may even ignore ghost readers because we have great readers here who rocks and always have our backs anytime.

Thanks!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 16, 2018
queenitee:

Ayaff arrived, after exams grin grin

grin Welcome sweetie.
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 16, 2018
EvaJael:

Success baby. We waiting for you to join us as soon as you finish exam

Thanks darling. 2 more to go and it's 'byeeee' to first semester.
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 8:59pm On May 16, 2018
kayo80:

Hey Evajael...

As for me, I like to make my stories feel as real as possible to me, so I use real locations...i might change somethings a bit, but I use real locations in most of my stories. Well, most of my stories are inspired by real life events anyway, so using real life locations I am familiar with makes me more passionate about writing the stories.

I have lived in a lot of different locations in Lagos, Ogun state, Ibadan, and Anambra, so i have a lot of options when it comes to using real life locations. The main character determines which setting I decide to use.
Great! I think living in different places help a lot too. Most times, I think I'm afraid to explore or maybe I don't trust my memory.
For instance, I've been to some states for holidays. When I want to write, I try to remember the image of the state I visited but it always feel like my brain is telling me "Eva, are you sure that building was close to the traffic light? Are you certain the roads are the way you're describing?"
These kind of things make it harder. I think I should travel more and maybe learn to take pictures of major places I go to for easy remembrance.
Thanks Kayo for your contribution

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 9:17pm On May 16, 2018
rachealfst:
Welcome back Evajael. Just got your mention.
Hi everyone,I'm Toyin Taiwo. A writer and an ardent NL reader. I love this literature section like......and I say it every time, I see everyone here as families except the ghost reader. Before nko who will make friends with ghost. Shout out to all our supportive readers on this platform that makes us do better. I said this because I sat down and analyse my works and I realized it gets better from "I fell in love to Wrong Number Anike and Broken Hedge" Nairalanders have this positive impact on once writing and you'll always have that zeal of not wanting to disappoint. And I bless God for being my source of inspiration.

I wish the silent readers understands that their comments goes a long way. It encourages, shapes and sharpens us, that's the truth.

Except Anike, I completed all my stories here on Nairaland. Although after some time, I pull some part down. My goal as a writer is to impact lives including mine positively through writing.
......Let me stop here.

As for the question about Location. I want readers to relate with the story so I make it real by using real locations. I only write within Nigeria especially areas I'm familiar with or know little about and sometimes locations I've never been to but real. I love it when readers can relate with the location. I like it when readers say "oh my school or my area or my state" because I feel the same way too when the settings used in a story is someplace I can relate with.

As for the quiet literature section, it solely lies on writers. If this place is bubbling, it's them. But one of the things that discourages writers is when people are taking credit for their sweat. Some writers stop posting once they discover this. I don't think any writer will start a story without having the mind to complete it. But stuffs like this slow them down.

Fine, it's online we all know anything that comes out here has already been made public and will go viral through share and all but please can this people just learn to acknowledge the writer when sharing? That is what any writer would want. We may even ignore ghost readers because we have great readers here who rocks and always have our backs anytime.

Thanks!

Thank you Rachealfst, this is one of those writers that can boast of a great relationship with readers.
I'm so glad to have you here with us. Yes, I agree with you on why the section is quiet. This issue of plagiarism is heart rending and ghost readers are not helping matters at all.
But, just as you said. I really commend the readers who encourage the writers to go on.
Thanks so much, Rachealfst.

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 9:21pm On May 16, 2018
KimberlyWest:

Thanks darling. 2 more to go and it's 'byeeee' to first semester.
Smiles. Some of us have started feeling the heat of second semester. It's so damn hot!
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by kayo80(m): 6:27am On May 17, 2018
EvaJael:

Great! I think living in different places help a lot too. Most times, I think I'm afraid to explore or maybe I don't trust my memory.
For instance, I've been to some states for holidays. When I want to write, I try to remember the image of the state I visited but it always feel like my brain is telling me "Eva, are you sure that building was close to the traffic light? Are you certain the roads are the way you're describing?"
These kind of things make it harder. I think I should travel more and maybe learn to take pictures of major places I go to for easy remembrance.
Thanks Kayo for your contribution

wink
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Patotelli(m): 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hello Eva nwa!, like seriously 4 ur mata i dey super concious. Words alone can express hw much i've mised you on here. I tried to mail u, but dunno if u got my msgs. Pls i would love to av ur direct contact. I hope skul stress no too make u lean sha. Really expectimg sumtin wey go sweet pass "HIDDEN DIAMONDS"
Welcome back nne.

Ur_own_pesin____PATTOSKI_PATOTELLI..IS HERE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 9:55am On Jan 29, 2019
Patotelli:
Hello Eva nwa!, like seriously 4 ur mata i dey super concious. Words alone can express hw much i've mised you on here. I tried to mail u, but dunno if u got my msgs. Pls i would love to av ur direct contact. I hope skul stress no too make u lean sha. Really expectimg sumtin wey go sweet pass "HIDDEN DIAMONDS"
Welcome back nne.

Ur_own_pesin____PATTOSKI_PATOTELLI..IS HERE!!!!

How come I never saw this cry
I'm so sorry dear. I never saw this. Could you try sending me a mail again?
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 2:25pm On Apr 25, 2020
So quiet here again cry

I miss you guys. Everyone that made this thread a beautiful one. I wish you'd all come back. I wish we could get more people to join the thread.

There's a lot of people I donno anymore on literature section and it's sad.

Okay, I came today to ask another question.
As writers, how do you get to pick the names of your characters?
I donno if I've asked this question before. I tried to check the thread but I'm not sure I could find it.

Cc
Divepen1
Queenitee
Kayo80
Centino

Please mention others
Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by kayo80(m): 3:00pm On Apr 25, 2020
Hey Eva, nice to have you posting here again.

About character names, personally, how I pick names for my characters is...first of all, I have an idea what the character's temperament is and his/her purpose in the story. I let that seat in my brain for a few hours or days, and then a name I feel is perfect for that character pops in my head, and I go with it.

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by Centino: 1:47am On Apr 26, 2020
“What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.”

― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Sometimes I even start to describe a character and then the first name that pops in my head is their name.

If they don't like it they can come and beat me.

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EkopSparoAyara(m): 4:56am On Apr 26, 2020
EvaJael.. Nice to have you here.. Anyways, am not a writer but at least I dey write something.. About your question, just let it flow, once you get the purpose of the character in your story, a name will definitely pop up.. It could be of someone you know or heard of that has the same character as the one in your story..

I must confess, Literature section isn't what it was anymore, a lot of qualities has been lost. I miss crime stories, I love romance stories too but lately the one's I've found here just doesn't go well, the title alone makes me avoid it(no offense)..
I miss Souloho19, D9ty7.. Larrysun is still keeping up with the crime stuff.. I miss Kimberlywest, Angelsss, Chumzypinky and you too EvaJael.. Kayo and Centino are still holding up the romance aspect..

I miss the guys that keep coming through with constructive comments like Honourable356(he's been missing for a long time now..), phoenixcap, there's this other guy that is always sharing popcorn, I've forgotten his moniker sef..Not forgetting Ann2012 and Queenitee, those two are on every thread in the literature section..

It will be too lengthy if I begin to mention names.. I miss those good stories that made me sign up to Nairaland to pour out my encomiums on the writers.

E too ling abi, make una no vex.. I don over talk but na the way wey I feel be that.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 8:52am On Apr 26, 2020
kayo80:
Hey Eva, nice to have you posting here again.

About character names, personally, how I pick names for my characters is...first of all, I have an idea what the character's temperament is and his/her purpose in the story. I let that seat in my brain for a few hours or days, and then a name I feel is perfect for that character pops in my head, and I go with it.

That's nice .I think It makes the name come out more thoughtful. I've never thought of it this way. Thanks Kayo

1 Like

Re: Should We Call It A New Beginning? by EvaJael(f): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2020
Centino:
“What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.”

― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Sometimes I even start to describe a character and then the first name that pops in my head is their name.

If they don't like it they can come and beat me.

There's no proper laugh emoji on nairaland. I should have dropped like three lines of pure laughing emojis under this post. Thank you Centino. How are you doing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Child Bride / What's Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Reading Books/stories Online And Reading Hard Copies Which Is More Convenient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.