Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,458 members, 7,801,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? (3997 Views)

Why Women Are The Weaker Sex And What Men's Roles Are. / Are Women Designed To Seek Multiple Partners? / Why Are Women Their Own Worst Enemies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by femiadams(m): 11:54pm On May 20, 2010
I put up an argument with a lady on the question of whether women are weaker vessels as the holy bible describes them or not. “Women are weaker vessels. God says they are. Apostle Paul confirms this by his instruction in I Timothy 2.11-12: that women must not be empowered to teach or have any form of authority over men! They must keep their mouths shut where men are talking!”

Surprisingly, the lady replied back with a strong and passionate defensive argument that the bible position about women being weaker vessels is not balanced. “Are women weaker, indeed? If we are, then, men are weak beings. By the law of grammar, women cannot be weaker without weak men. Therefore, if women accept their positions as weaker vessels in God’s plan for marriage, men too, as husbands, must accept their position as weak vessels in this plan.”

I contended that “Men cannot be weak vessels in God’s plan for marriage. Otherwise, God would not give men the mandate to be head of their homes and, over their wives”.
Her response was that “We do not, as wives, contest the headship of men as head of their homes and wives. Our contention is in the fact that both men and women are imperfect beings in the biblical context of marital weaknesses. And that, on this issue, most of us women would admit that we are weaker but that men too should admit they are weak.”

With a sense of pride that I am winning the argument, I quickly put it to her that “The bible does not state in any way that men are weak. Rather God demands that we be strong, courageous, bold and resolute. But for women, their weaknesses are so strong that God commands men not to give them their strength. They are so destructive in their weaknesses that they could ruin kings! Proverbs 31:1”

She smiled and with a soft tender voice replied that “Women are not weak as men have projected us. If we are, then, we cannot be helpers against biblical standpoint on the main reason why God created us. For instance, God created us as suitable helpers to men- Genesis 2:8. If women were weaker, we would not have had the strength to help men nor the might to ruin kings! May we ask you men some questions…?”
“Please do!” I replied

1. What was the original plan of God for marriage for which he created the woman as a weaker partner?

2. What was the primary work of Adam in Eden for which he needed a helper?

3. Why was a woman the best option of a helper to Adam, in Eden, and what was her role in the work and life of Adam in this plan?

She was so sure I wouldn’t provide her with the right answers to her questions

What a great challenge!
Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by Sissy3(f): 2:59am On May 21, 2010
dont you people ever get tired
Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by Romeo4real(m): 11:43am On May 21, 2010
Surprisingly, the lady replied back with a strong and passionate defensive argument that the bible position about women being weaker vessels is not balanced. “Are women weaker, indeed? If we are, then, men are weak beings. By the law of grammar, women cannot be weaker without weak men. Therefore, if women accept their positions as weaker vessels in God’s plan for marriage, men too, as husbands, must accept their position as weak vessels in this plan.”
This lady is not very smart is she? and her command of English grammar is questionable, as her argument is quite illogical, even via the method she has chosen to support it.  I am not disagreeing with her premise, i am just say her articulation of her position on the issue is seriously flawed.

But seriously, are you both Christians? If you are, what exactly is the purpose of this argument? Is is that the Bible is wrong? Or it is right but "unbalanced"? Or the quote is misinterpreted and actually means something else? What is the stance.

Also the quote used to start the argument is misinterpreted. The quote in question says - Women should learn in silence and submission, not to have teach or have authority over men, but to be in silence. There is nowhere it says they should shut up!

And remember, this is actually Paul's opinion. Though his views are generally cognisant with that of the Bible on a mans authority and role in his home, and a woman's submission to her husband, he stands alone on the issue of women teaching men, as this contradicts Christ's teachings.

1 Like

Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by luap: 3:15pm On May 21, 2010
They are not weaker potato head.  Women and Men gender abilities.  For example women have babies; it takes a lot of strength to endure child labor.  See what I mean?  I think their brains are differnt also, something about them having better memory, and communication skills.

Men on the other hand have other gender abilities.  I think we are better at warring.  This is self evident.
Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by Africanqueen2(f): 10:38am On May 22, 2010
There's nowhere in the bible that says women are weaker vessels rather what is says is; '. . . Giving honour unto the wife, AS UNTO THE WEAKER VESSEL. . . ' not cause she's a weaker vessel. What it means there is the man should treat a woman wit care, kindness, respect and love not like an invalid.

The second quote is; 'let the woman learn in silence. . . ' yes it is good to learn in silence cause its then u'll know. It went further to state the reason why women should learn in silence and not teach or have authority over men in verse 13 of 1Timothy 2 it says; 'for Adam was formed 1st then eve.' Adam was 1st created so women are to give him that respect as elder. It happens in our everyday life when our elders speak do we speak or try to teach them? No! We listen and learn in silence.
That's what we teach our kids everyday, respect!

2 Likes

Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by femiadams(m): 5:44pm On May 23, 2010
We are Christians, Fundamental Theologians. We do not and would never attempt at faulting the bible in anyway. The argument of whether women are weaker vessels or not was sparked off by a joke. However, some fundamental questions arose which necessitated the submission of this piece for your considerations. They are:

1. What was the work of Adam in the Garden of Eden so tasking that he needed a helper?

2. Why did God consider a woman a suitable helper for him?
Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by Romeo4real(m): 10:04pm On May 23, 2010
There's nowhere in the bible that says women are weaker vessels rather what is says is; '. . . Giving honour unto the wife, AS UNTO THE WEAKER VESSEL. . . ' not cause she's a weaker vessel. What it means there is the man should treat a woman wit care, kindness, respect and love not like an invalid.
You will find out that this is only one translation. Other translations do indeed call women the "weaker vessels" or "weaker partner" - and there is nothing wrong with that.  It is clear anyway that even by your translation above, this is what the scripture mean. As a Christian man, you are supposed to treat your wife with great consideration, and due care, because she is indeed weaker than you in certain areas, especially emotionally.
Re: Are Women Weaker Vessels Indeed? by Dammy0247: 11:56pm On May 16, 2016
“There is no better way to overpower a twinkle of doubt than the sincerity of Unclad truth -By G.D. Damabel.

“Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered 1 Peter 3:7.

I do not believe in contextual insinuations but I always tick the scale in favour of the context of the the content of the text.
Does the context of that verse above define fully the nature of a woman or does it expressly portray men as the stronger vessel in any ramification?.

I believe women are more emotional not because they are weak but the anticipation and sometimes the unconscious anxieties that the serpent who discredited them before God and man is still in their garden.
I do hold that, a woman's earnest desire for perfection and to remain chaste is the greatest contributing factor of her being emotional.
But are men excluded from emotion?. Remember Jesus said the other day that the flesh is weak but the spirit is willing referring to male disciples.

For indept answer to this question ARE WOMEN REALLY THE WEAKER VESSEL?.
Check exclusive post on my personal website.
https://godfreydamabel.com/2016/05/13/are-women-really-the-weaker-vessel/

(1) (Reply)

Do You Get Beatings From Your Parents? / This Marriage Is At The Brink / In Need Of A Co-parenting Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.