Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:02 AM

What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? (47976 Views)

A Comparison Between Jesus And Muhammad / What Is The Connection Between Santa And Christmas? / Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by wirinet(m): 8:21am On May 21, 2010
I was watching the film "Clash of the Titans" and i could not fail to notice the similarities in pronunciation between Jesus and Zeus. Also the plot of the story is very similar to the Christian story.

The Greek Gods were in their usual monarchical power struggle with Zeus ruling the Sky, Poseidon ruling the seas and Hades (his brother) banished to the fiery underworld as a punishment for rebellion against zeus . Zeus somehow slept with a woman (the wife of a king) and gave birth to Perseus, who became half God and Half man. Perseus was to reconcile man back to the Gods because men had rebelled against the Gods.

Anyway, Christians have not been able to tell us the real meaning of the name Jesus. It is obviously a Roman name, like Christ (Christos). Although Christos could be translated to mean the Hebrew world Messiah, i have found no direct translation for the meaning of Jesus. Christians most times translate Hebrew name Yeshua or Joshua, (meaning Jehovah is salvation) to Jesus. I do not see the connection between the Hebrew name Joshua with the Latin name Jesus, their pronunciation is completely different, and there is no parallel of Joshua in Latin, since they had no Jehovah.

On the other hand, the supreme God during the formative years of Christianity was Zeus. The worship of Zeus and the pantheon of Gods was in fact the official religion of Rome, and it was from this religion that Christianity was formulated. So it is likely that early Christianity was just a rebranding of the old religion.  It is said that Jesus (which was written as IESUS until 400yrs ago, since J was not originally part of the English alphabet) could be translated to mean "HAIL ZEUS"

"It is known that the Greek name
endings with sus, seus, and sous
were attached by the Greeks to names
and geographical areas as means to
give honour to their supreme deity, Zeus."
source - Dictionary of Christian Lore and Legend
   Professor J. C. J. Metford

Other names attached to Zeus are;
Tarsus means Sweat of Zeus ,
Dionysus means the Son of Zeus ,

So also Jesus could mean hail Zeus,

"In the 1611 KJ New Testament
the name Yahshua (Yehoshua) appeared
originally wherever the Messiah was
spoken of.  Yehoshua means Yehovah's
(Jehovah's) Salvation.  Later the
Messiah's name was replaced with Iesus
(Greek) which later in the 1600's it
became Jesus starting with the new
English letter "J" which was introduced
at that time.  Further, the Greek "Iesus"
comes from the name Zeus, the ruling God
in the Greek pantheon."
-Gospel of The Kingdom
True Names and Title
Dr. Henry Clifford Kinley
    1931 - Ohio USA

This is very revealing because Christians claim that Power lies in the exact pronunciation of the word Jesus.

http://www.hiddenbible.com/jesuszeus/jesuszeus.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by mazaje(m): 10:12am On May 21, 2010
I was wondering how a jewish man got the name Jesus since no such name exists in the hebrew language, Did a man name Jesus ever live? I think no man named Jesus ever walked the surface of this earth. . . .You raised one very important point.  The name Yeshua  is mostly tanslated as Jesus but that is wrong since Yeshua means Joshua(Jehovah's salvation) and since the ancient greeks nothing about Jehovah I wonder why christians keep making that error in translation . Where then did the name Jesus come from if not from the patheon of the geek gods. . . . . .
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by wirinet(m): 10:56am On May 21, 2010
Even some statues and paintings of Zeus and Jesus are very similar

Statue of Zeus

Statue of Jesus on the cross

Another statue of Jesus
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by mazaje(m): 11:00am On May 21, 2010
They both look alike grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by PastorAIO: 2:21pm On May 21, 2010
Really? I thought the romans worshipped Jupiter.

Zeus was a greek god.

Can you see any similarity between the names Tiago and the name James.

James is a jewish name. The spanish pronounce it Tiago. Perhaps the spanish too are not referring to James but to some other name.

. . but let me properly get into the spirit of this thread. Tiago is actually an ancient andalusian deity. Nothing to do with James the brother of the lord at all. In fact, James must have been worshipped as well, when they first mixed him up with the andalusian deity.
How does that sound?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by wirinet(m): 2:50pm On May 21, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Really? I thought the romans worshipped Jupiter.

Zeus was a greek god.

Can you see any similarity between the names Tiago and the name James.

James is a jewish name. The spanish pronounce it Tiago. Perhaps the spanish too are not referring to James but to some other name.

. . but let me properly get into the spirit of this thread. Tiago is actually an ancient andalusian deity. Nothing to do with James the brother of the lord at all. In fact, James must have been worshipped as well, when they first mixed him up with the andalusian deity.
How does that sound?

Pastor, how you dey? its been awhile.

I know you are aware that Jupiter is the same God as Zeus. Greek Zeus is known in Rome as Zeu pater meaning "O, father Zeus". Which is pronounced Jupiter.

I honestly do not understand your comparism between James and Tiago. How does hebrew James translate to spanish Tiago. What is the Meaning of James and what is the meaning of Tiago? do they mean the same thing. or can you somehow transcribe James to sound phonetically like Tiago?

Aslo what is the connection between James and the ancient ancient andalusian deity. Sorry for my Ignorance of Tiago, but you can enlighten me a bit.

Christianity on the other hand and the old Greco - Roman religions are very connected. For one thing, at one time both were under the authority and control of the Roman state, so it would not be out of place to suppose one influenced the other.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Kay17: 2:52pm On May 21, 2010
one - The Christ was not named Jesus, whence cometh this name?
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by mazaje(m): 4:25pm On May 21, 2010
Kay 17:

one - The Christ was not named Jesus, whence cometh this name?

Million dollar question. . . . .
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 22, 2010
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Mudley313: 5:41pm On May 22, 2010
the connection is that they both are made-up/fictitous characters

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by wirinet(m): 5:58pm On May 22, 2010
Mudley313:

the connection is that they both are made-up/fictitous characters

My brother, at one time in western civilization, everybody - including kings, the priests, the philosophers and ordinary people, believed and worshiped Zeus. So it goes beyond weak minds, it is more of the powerful force of popular beliefs. In such a case it is very difficult to be different.

Further more i believe western civilization still worship Zeus and the pantheon of Gods under different guises, like as i have pointed out transforming Zeus in to IEZEUS, and adding the character of Horus to the mix. Also there is the continued worship of ISIS in the form of MARY, the naming of our days and months after Greco-Roman Gods ensure that they would live forever. Worship of these Gods is being revived in the celebration of Valentine (celebration of the God Cupid), Easter, Christmas and others.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by PastorAIO: 12:08pm On May 24, 2010
@Wirinet, I dey o. Body dey inside cloth, thank God.

I believe that Jupiter is the same God as Zeus in the same way as Shango is the same God as Zeus and Thor is the same God as Zeus. I was just trying to make the point that the Romans wouldn't have called him Zeus. Even though the descriptions matched in many details. a Jupiter devotee would be quite different from a Zeus devotee.

I was just being silly with the idea that tiago was a deity. Tiago is simply the Spanish name for James, however it sounds completely different from James. Similarly the words Evan, John, Jan, Yanni etc are all various cultures pronunciations for the word John. They sound quite different.

therefore the fact that Jesus doesn't sound like Joshua does not necessarily mean that it is not the same word as Joshua.

wirinet:

Pastor, how you dey? its been awhile.

I know you are aware that Jupiter is the same God as Zeus. Greek Zeus is known in Rome as Zeu pater meaning "O, father Zeus". Which is pronounced Jupiter.

I honestly do not understand your comparism between James and Tiago. How does hebrew James translate to spanish Tiago. What is the Meaning of James and what is the meaning of Tiago? do they mean the same thing. or can you somehow transcribe James to sound phonetically like Tiago?

Aslo what is the connection between James and the ancient ancient andalusian deity. Sorry for my Ignorance of Tiago, but you can enlighten me a bit.

Christianity on the other hand and the old Greco - Roman religions are very connected. For one thing, at one time both were under the authority and control of the Roman state, so it would not be out of place to suppose one influenced the other.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 24, 2010
wirinet:

Further more i believe western civilization still worship Zeus

They worship Baphomet.

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Mudley313: 8:28pm On May 24, 2010
Further more i believe western civilization still worship Zeus and the pantheon of Gods under different guises, like as i have pointed out transforming Zeus in to IEZEUS, and adding the character of Horus to the mix. Also there is the continued worship of ISIS in the form of MARY, the naming of our days and months after Greco-Roman Gods ensure that they would live forever. Worship of these Gods is being revived in the celebration of Valentine (celebration of the God Cupid), Easter, Christmas and others.

ya, i agree. a lot of the structures of most wetern-modern day religions were plagiarized from the ancients they so now arrogantly call pagans
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by aletheia(m): 9:12pm On May 24, 2010
None.
wirinet:

Even some statues and paintings of Zeus and Jesus are very similar

Statue of Zeus

Statue of Jesus on the cross

Another statue of Jesus
And your images prove nothing. Case in point is the Artemisium Zeus which you fradulently labelled as Statue of Jesus on the cross:

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 24, 2010
aletheia:

And your images prove nothing. Case in point is the Artemisium Zeus which you fradulently labelled as Statue of Jesus on the cross:

lol you're asking for too much if you assume these guys have any shred of integrity. The only constant thing to them is their intense hatred for christianity.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by wirinet(m): 8:55am On May 25, 2010
aletheia:

None.And your images prove nothing. Case in point is the Artemisium Zeus which you fradulently labelled as Statue of Jesus on the cross:

Thanks you for pointing out the error, i accept that it was a genuine mistake on my part. It was from one of the sources i copied the picture from.

But that has still not dampened the speculations that some statues of Jesus bears similar features with the statues of Zeus.

See the quote below from this site; http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0311400/Ancient_Wonders/ancient_4.htm

*  Ancient Greeks worshiped Zeus, king of gods, and held regular festivals there at Olympia (they included athletic competitions)

* First Olympic Games were probably held in 776 B.C.
    * In 5 th century B.C., the citizens of Olympia decided to build a temple to Zeus
    * For some years it did not have a proper statue of Zeus
    * Philidias was chosen to create a statue of Zeus
    * He had Zeus seated on a throne inlaid w/ ebony and precious stones
    * Viewing platforms were built along the walls so that people could climb up and see the god’s face
    * About 40 A.D., the Roman emperor Caligula wanted to have the statue moved to Rome
    * According to a legend, when the workers went to move it, it let out a bellow of laughter and the workers fled
    * Years later, the statue was shipped off to Constantinople
    * In 462 A.D., the palace was destroyed by fire
    * Olympia was shaken by earthquakes in the 6 th century
    * Temple and stadium destroyed by landslides and floods, and remains are covered in mud

*  The size of the statue amazed the people of Pheidias's time
    * It filled the entire temple and Zeus's head almost touched the ceiling
    * Other features of the statue changed history
    * The style of making the statue was used for many other statues
    * T[b]he face of the statue later is used in eastern Catholic depictions of Jesus and is still common in churches   throughout the world.
[/b]

You will agree with me that the statues of Jesus could not be an accurate representation of Jesus, since none of his statue or bust was known to have been made, unlike Caesar or other important roman personalities, so that leaves a question of where the statues came from.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by mazaje(m): 6:37pm On May 25, 2010
wirinet:

You will agree with me that the statues of Jesus could not be an accurate representation of Jesus, since none of his statue or bust was known to have been made, unlike Caesar or other important roman personalities, so that leaves a question of where the statues came from.

Not just that, the entire historical Jesus story remains a great mystery.

Firstly, The bible has stories of Jesus performing lot of miracles in the presence of many thousands of people. So I want to know. . .How come not one person thought, “Wow what a great man and what a great miracle. I need to write that down in my journal.”? How come no local philosophers or scribes during that time(of which there were many) thought these miracles were worthy of mention at all? The gospels came very long and were written by people whose identity remains unknown. . . .

If you're gonna make something up and pretend it was real, it helps immensely to put the said story far enough in the past to be sure there won't be anybody who can say "Hey, I was there and that wasn't what happened." Hence the delay for like 50, 60 and about 100 years before the stories were written down.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Mudley313: 8:21pm On May 25, 2010
If you're gonna make something up and pretend it was real, it helps immensely to put the said story far enough in the past to be sure there won't be anybody who can say "Hey, I was there and that wasn't what happened." Hence the delay for like 50, 60 and about 100 years before the stories were written down

don't think there was any "intentional" delay. its just when the followers of christ started evolving into a religion, its when they started writing what most probably are exaggerated (and even fictitous) biographies of jesus, since the intent was to convert people and depict his life as extraordinary/supernatural (e.g. the birth of christ stories n a lil christ ministering at the temple). christ never foretold a religion (christianity) forming from him (he actually was a practicing jew), and he never predicted that there'll be a book (the bible) outside of the jewish torah that'll be labelled word of god.

and i dont think the modern image of jesus was gotten from that of zeus. Christianity was birthed in Palestine, headed south into Africa, East into Asia and North into Europe. It was Europe and out of the Roman Empire that it stabilized. So European artists did what most regional artists do, represent things from their own perspective, thats why we have a european lookin image of jesus dat ignorant africans now worship, when Jesus was a Middle Eastern Jew not a European.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by aletheia(m): 8:44pm On May 25, 2010
wirinet:

Thanks you for pointing out the error, i accept that it was a genuine mistake on my part. It was from one of the sources i copied the picture from.
You are welcome. But the question arises, that if your sources got that wrong, what other facts are they twisting to try and prove their point? After all the Artemisium Zeus is a widely recognised statue, so how did it end up being labeled as Jesus on the Cross.

wirinet:

But that has still not dampened the speculations that some statues of Jesus bears similar features with the statues of Zeus.

You are right that some statues of Jesus bear similar features to statues of Zeus. You are also right that these statues can not be an accurate portrayal of Jesus of Nazareth. But to argue from that against the authenticity of the Christian faith is to neglect the historical evidence on ground.
The early Christians did not have paintings or statues of the Risen Christ. Unfortunately during the 4th - 5th centuries following the corruption and paganization of Christianity and the adoption wholesale of pagan practices and festivals like Easter, Christmas, etc, the statues of pagan gods were simply renamed thus you find several statues or paintings depicting Venus/Aphrodite being renamed to Mary, Isis/Horus as Madonna & Child and so on. Even some of the really old cathedrals were simply pagan temples converted to the use of corrupted Christianity.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by aletheia(m): 9:03pm On May 25, 2010
mazaje:

Not just that, the entire historical Jesus story remains a great mystery.
Yep. At least you got that right
1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

mazaje:

Firstly, The bible has stories of Jesus performing lot of miracles in the presence of many thousands of people. So I want to know. . .How come not one person thought, “Wow what a great man and what a great miracle. I need to write that down in my journal.”? How come no local philosophers or scribes during that time(of which there were many) thought these miracles were worthy of mention at all?
It was written down.
Luke 1:1-3 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, (2) Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; (3) It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

mazaje:

The gospels came very long and were written by people whose identity remains unknown. . . .

If you're gonna make something up and pretend it was real, it helps immensely to put the said story far enough in the past to be sure there won't be anybody who can say "Hey, I was there and that wasn't what happened." Hence the delay for like 50, 60 and about 100 years before the stories were written down.
Really. What a puerile argument. Quick brain teaser for you.
What single book mentions the following historical characters in its narrative, well within the lifetime of the characters:
1. Pontius Pilate
2. Herod
3. Agrippa
4. Bernice
5. Porcius Festus
6. Antonius Felix
7. Sergius Paulus
8. Claudius
9. Gallio
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Horus(m): 12:09am On May 26, 2010
JESUS AND ZEUS - JESUS IS ZEUS

That statement is enough to call forth the stoners to take aim, yet it is a provable fact. And if Jesus is indeed Zeus, then that opens to us the whole world of mythology in which to seek ,that we may find the secret of life itself. So let us look at the evidence, and you decide.

JESUS IS THE SUN GOD

This statement is proved by the Bible. In Revelation 3:14 , Jesus is speaking, and refers to himself as "the Amen".

Amen Ra is the name of an Egyptian Sun God. This is borne out in Matthew 2:15. The scripture states that Joseph took Jesus to Egypt to fulfill the prophecy, " out of Egypt have I called my son". In other discussions with you, I have shown you how the life of Jesus duplicates the trajectory of the Sun in the sky. Also the fact that in Greek, the name Jesus has the numerical value of 888, which is the number of the mythical Sun.

THE RAM HEAD SUN GOD

Amen Ra is a specific Egyptian Sun God. It is the Ram Head Sun God. The part that is interesting here is that the Ram Head Sun God, in Greece, is connected with Zeus. In the Bible, Jesus is the Lamb of God.

THE ZEUS-JESUS CONNECTION

Now that we have established a connection between Jesus, Amen Ra, and Zeus, let us look into the mythology of Greece and see some striking similarities.

JESUS TO EGYPT/ZEUS TO CRETE

When Jesus was born, the wicked King Herod was killing all the children because he was afraid that Jesus would overthrow his kingdom. When Zeus was born, his wicked father Kronos was swallowing the newborns because he was afraid that Zeus was going to overthrow his kingdom. Jesus was taken to Egypt to escape from Herod. Zeus was taken to Crete to escape from Kronos.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2010
reference/link, please!
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Osama10(m): 3:23am On Jun 11, 2010
There is no connection my friend.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by pkasso(m): 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2011
Baseless Argument !! angry

1 Like

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Sweetnecta: 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2011
Jesus son of Mary [as] stands on his own by the Mercy of his Lord Who sent him.

Whatever people say to defame him (as) means zero in the scale of reality. His Lord is Sufficient as his Witness.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by SamuelSim: 10:29am On Jan 24, 2011
Hi i'm new,i am 18 years old.
i'm confused. Which should i trust and worship?
Jesus or Zeus by the way,I am Christian.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by ralphellis: 8:47am On Apr 10, 2011
There is an alternative derivation.

We are looking for a Jewish royal prince (INRI) who came from the East (the Magi), but was without a palace and living in temporary accommodation. There is such a royal family, and there are titled King Monobazus and Queen Helena, and who were indeed Jewish royalty from the East (Parthia).

As it happens, their son was called Izates, but as a nickname he was always called Izas.

Here is your Jesus.

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by suwailad(f): 12:05pm On Apr 10, 2011
interesting discussion.
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by KAYD007(m): 11:02am On Apr 11, 2011
^^^
& yet confusing
Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by ralphellis: 11:33am On Apr 11, 2011
>>Interesting
>>& yet confusing

Yes, but they always did want to confuse you. Treat the congregations like mushrooms, because it keeps them quiet.

In truth, Saul-Paul had already sold the idea to the world that Jesus was some pauper carpenter, who was oppressed by the Jews and Romans. People always do like a good sob-story.

How was anyone going to say, after all this, that Jesus (Izas) was actually a king? (That is why he was called the King of the Jews in the New Testament, its a dead giveaway, really). In fact, his mother donated all the golden furniture for the Temple of Jerusalem, and this was later taken by the Romans and used to pay for the Coloseum in Rome. See how wealthy this family had been.

Indeed, according to the Talmud, Mary Magdalene was the richest woman in Judaea, and bought the high priesthood for Jesus with some 250 kg of silver. Jesus then tried to become emperor of Rome, but his plans back-fired and he lost this particular revolution and was crucified.

As it says in Mk 15:7
And there was one named Barabbas, who lay bound with them that had made revolution with him (Jesus?), and who had committed murder in the insurrection.

Yes, there was indeed a revolution, and much murder and mayhem had been committed. And that did not sit too well with Saul-Paul's new message of peace. By all means, it was covered up.

Re: What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? by Enigma(m): 9:30pm On Apr 11, 2011
davidylan:

lol you're asking for too much if you assume these guys have any shred of integrity. The only constant thing to them is their intense hatred for christianity.

Typical David smiley and how true of some posters, unfortunately.

Hope David is doing OK; another person that has curiously gone silent is Toba

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fight Inside Olivet Baptist Church In US While Pastor Was Preaching (Video) / "Jesus Is" By Clayton Jennings. Spoken Word Lyrics. / Pastor And Native Doctor Confess To Killing People, Paraded With Their Rituals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.