Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,818 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Domestic Violence Against Men - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Domestic Violence Against Men (1563 Views)

Lady Pours Hot Water On Baby Daddy Because Of Domestic Violence / Lady Shares Photos Of Injuries She Sustained Through Domestic Violence / Mercy Makinde: Domestic Violence Victim Shares Her Story & Photos After 10 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Domestic Violence Against Men by PrettySleek(f): 8:13pm On May 07, 2018
Women are being abused everyday by their husbands. It has be become both a national and international problem. It makes me wonder if women rights are protected as it should be but sometimes I can't help but wonder about the men too.
I have been paying attention to stories about husbands that are abused by their wives, some may say it's rare, some may say it happens but the men just ignore. As a psychiatric nurse, i have come to understand that the psychological trauma is the same for both sexes, they both suffer the same feeling of sadness, pain and worthless. My own understanding is that some men are afraid to talk up, they may be seen as weak by other men. Some men prefer to let themselves get hurt instead of hitting a woman because by then the women are seen as the victims. But looking at it from a different perspective, protecting yourself from harm is seen as self defense right? All these are pointing to one thing, abuse is abuse no matter who is involved. The topic of domestic violence against women is as important as that against men. Men need to be protected as well, if u are being abused by your wife or lover please speak up, talk to someone, anyone before it's too late. It is time for people to recognize how important their lives are.
Women lives matter, this should be the same for men
Please feel free to clear your opinions, criticism is allowed but be mature and reasonable while doing so. Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by stuffs4me(m): 5:47am On May 08, 2018
PrettySleek:
Women are being abused everyday by their husbands. It has be become both a national and international problem. It makes me wonder if women rights are protected as it should be but sometimes I can't help but wonder about the men too.
I have been paying attention to stories about husbands that are abused by their wives, some may say it's rare, some may say it happens but the men just ignore. As a psychiatric nurse, i have come to understand that the psychological trauma is the same for both sexes, they both suffer the same feeling of sadness, pain and worthless. My own understanding is that some men are afraid to talk up, they may be seen as weak by other men. Some men prefer to let themselves get hurt instead of hitting a woman because by then the women are seen as the victims. But looking at it from a different perspective, protecting yourself from harm is seen as self defense right? All these are pointing to one thing, abuse is abuse no matter who is involved. The topic of domestic violence against women is as important as that against men. Men need to be protected as well, if u are being abused by your wife or lover please speak up, talk to someone, anyone before it's too late. It is time for people to recognize how important their lives are.
Women lives matter, this should be the same for men
Please feel free to clear your opinions, criticism is allowed but be mature and reasonable while doing so. Thanks.

One of the biggest challenges in cases of domestic violence against men is to prove that there is a possibility that the man could also be a victim.

Most people especially women are already stereotyped and will go into a tirade and will start raining curses on men as soon as a case of domestic violence is established irrespective of who is the victim.

Regarding the bolded, I once saw a video of a woman battering a man and inflicting very serious injuries on him while threatening him to "touch her and see". The guy actually never raised his hand against her to even defend himself, if he had done that, the society will never see it as self defense anymore. He would be crucified as a woman beater and with heavy consequences. Because he would most likely lose his peace of mind and he would be branded an animal, he may lose his job, his female friends etc.

More than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by PrettySleek(f): 9:55am On May 08, 2018
stuffs4me:

One of the biggest challenges in cases of domestic violence against men is to prove that there is a possibility that the man could also be a victim.

Most people especially women are already stereotyped and will go into a tirade and will start raining curses on men as soon as a case of domestic violence is established irrespective of who is the victim.

Regarding the bolded, I once saw a video of a woman battering a man and inflicting very serious injuries on him while threatening him to "touch her and see". The guy actually never raised his hand against her to even defend himself, if he had done that, the society will never see it as self defense anymore. He would be crucified as a woman beater and with heavy consequences. Because he would most likely lose his peace of mind and he would be branded an animal, he may lose his job, his female friends etc.

More than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence
Thank you so much for your contribution, what u have just said is what is really depressing about the whole issue. I am hoping that more people will be open to discuss this, once again I thank u, it was really insightful.
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by IamPlato(m): 1:34pm On May 08, 2018

Women Abuse On Men Can Be Worse Than Hell...

I Saw A Video Of A Woman Who Beat a Man With A Rod, he Passed Out But She Didnt See Reasons to Stop
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by PrettySleek(f): 11:19pm On May 10, 2018
IamPlato:

Women Abuse On Men Can Be Worse Than Hell...

I Saw A Video Of A Woman Who Beat a Man With A Rod, he Passed Out But She Didnt See Reasons to Stop
It's really sad, most people don't even care
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by AreaFada2: 1:52pm On May 30, 2018
PrettySleek:

It's really sad, most people don't even care
True.
Everybody should care, including women. Almost every woman has a son, father, uncle, nephew, male friends who can be victims of domestic violence.

That your post has garnered so few replies, almost from women and certainly not close to making FP shows how little relevance society pays to male victims of domestic abuse.

Thank God you're in healthcare sector to see the gravity of the matter.

CC: Seun, Mods, Mynnd,

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by stuffs4me(m): 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2018
AreaFada2:

True.
Everybody should care, including women. Almost every woman has a son, father, uncle, nephew, male friends who can be victims of domestic violence.

That your post has garnered so few replies, almost from women and certainly not close to making FP shows how little relevance society pays to male victims of domestic abuse.

Thank God you're in healthcare sector to see the gravity of the matter.

CC: Seun, Mods, Mynnd,

Please don't even call Seun or any of the mods because they will never move this thread to front page. If it had been a case of female victims now, Seun and his mods would have taken this thread to front page in a twinkle of an eye.

This is exactly what we are saying. Male victims of domestic violence hardly get help nor justice and people like Seun and his mods are hypocrites who somehow believe that the lives of men does not matter.

Nairaland is a classical case of the societal bias against men.

Seun can ban my moniker for life but it will not make him any less a hypocrite.

Cc: Seun

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Against Men by SarakiBukola: 6:52pm On Aug 27, 2018
I remember just last week, an Igbo guy was on FP.

His wifey used to beat him for not producing a male child cry

(1) (Reply)

Imsu Runs Girl Cut Off Man’s Manhood After All Night Sex In Owerri / Strange: Mother Refuses To Breastfeed Her Newborn Baby That Looks Like An Alien / Drama As Bird Lands On A Hospital Patient's Bed And Turns Into A Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.