Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

The Future Of African Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Future Of African Agriculture (358 Views)

Apply: Africa Food Prize 2021 For Innovation In African Agriculture (the Us $100 / China: Ramping Up Investment In African Agriculture / African Agriculture’s Future Lies In Cultivating Youth, Not Only Crops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Future Of African Agriculture by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:48pm On May 07, 2018
Africa has enormous resources which unfortunately are not maximally utilised.
Not to talk of the massive arable land, labours, knowledgeable and hard working workforce,we still remain a net food importer instead of being the food powerhouse of the world.

Nevertheless the future is bright for agriculture in Africa except we take advantage of the resources at our disposal,
If we don't then it might take longer years to reach the goal of seeing africa become the food powerhouse of the continents.

Netherlands who does not have up to half of the our resources produce the healthiest, cheapest food products anywhere in the world. Why is africa so backward on the world food map?

I also kept asking myself but thankfully there are practical solutions to all of our challenges.
I remember telling a friend many years ago to venture with me into the world of agriculture but was not convince enough that agriculture is going to be the mainstay in the Nigeria economy, he wanted to have his hands on the oil and gas pie since it was the mainstay of the economy then.

Now agriculture is at the front burner everybody want to have a pie.
To push forward in the agricultural sector on this continent, we need to make drastic steps into.

1. Empowering the small scale farmers to produce more from their relatively small portion.
Africa small scale farmers produce up to 70% of the food we consume and it will be insane not to see them as a major stakeholder in the africa agribusiness industry. Inputs, high yielding seeds/seedling,etc are to be provided.

2. Incorporating technology to improve efficiency along the food supply chain.
Lack of infrastructure, poor road network,lack of market structure are some of the challenges being by the players along the value chain.
These challenges must be addressed and it must be addressed urgently leveraging on technology. Failure to do so, the future of africa agriculture might go dimmer and dimmer.
Read more on www.facebook.com/waleagro

What steps do you think stakeholders in the agribusiness industry must take to secure the future of African agriculture?
Re: The Future Of African Agriculture by grabben: 4:35am On May 08, 2018
Lesgupnigeria:
Africa has enormous resources which unfortunately are not maximally utilised.
Not to talk of the massive arable land, labours, knowledgeable and hard working workforce,we still remain a net food importer instead of being the food powerhouse of the world.

Nevertheless the future is bright for agriculture in Africa except we take advantage of the resources at our disposal,
If we don't then it might take longer years to reach the goal of seeing africa become the food powerhouse of the continents.

Netherlands who does not have up to half of the our resources produce the healthiest, cheapest food products anywhere in the world. Why is africa so backward on the world food map?

I also kept asking myself but thankfully there are practical solutions to all of our challenges.
I remember telling a friend many years ago to venture with me into the world of agriculture but was not convince enough that agriculture is going to be the mainstay in the Nigeria economy, he wanted to have his hands on the oil and gas pie since it was the mainstay of the economy then.

Now agriculture is at the front burner everybody want to have a pie.
To push forward in the agricultural sector on this continent, we need to make drastic steps into.

1. Empowering the small scale farmers to produce more from their relatively small portion.
Africa small scale farmers produce up to 70% of the food we consume and it will be insane not to see them as a major stakeholder in the africa agribusiness industry. Inputs, high yielding seeds/seedling,etc are to be provided.

2. Incorporating technology to improve efficiency along the food supply chain.
Lack of infrastructure, poor road network,lack of market structure are some of the challenges being by the players along the value chain.
These challenges must be addressed and it must be addressed urgently leveraging on technology. Failure to do so, the future of africa agriculture might go dimmer and dimmer.

What steps do you think stakeholders in the agribusiness industry must take to secure the future of African agriculture?
We have always stated it unequivocally that the future of agriculture in Africa is the exportation of agricultural products. In fact, this is the major dividend of agricultural practice. The earlier farmers think about agro-export, the better for them. Click on the first link on my signature for details.
Re: The Future Of African Agriculture by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:04pm On May 08, 2018
Do you think we are going to be the food powerhouse of the continents or take backward disposition to the issue of food security in Africa.

Whether we as a citizen/government collaborate on the possibility of changing the narrative or we just want other people to make it happen for us, the fact remains that by 2030,Nigeria alone will be third most populated country in the world and we will require tens of hundred of mouth to feed.

Are we ready for the great challenge ahead?

(1) (Reply)

Cassava For Sale / Become A Millionaire Through An Integrated Farming Systems!!! / Farm Land For Sale In Igana (oyo State)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.