Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! (13429 Views)

Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise / Opening A Joint Account, What Is The Minimum Amount Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 3:06pm On May 21, 2010
See me see temptation oo, i dey here dey work, all of a sudden, see text message on my phone (deposit of money for my account), more than 100k, less than 500k shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked gbam for my account, the depositor's name is not familiar and i am not expecting any money either, checked my account to confirm if i was dreaming or not, got same confirmation.
  Guys, wetin make i do? me wey dey debts of close to #1m don suddenly see free money that would go a long way in helping me pay some of the bills, what should i do oo? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Should i go withdraw?
should i call the bank?
should i leave it there?
should i just ,   undecided undecided undecided undecidedoooooh, wetin make i do? i need money like mad, abi na God wan help me solve some of my problems?
Abi na my prayers God don dey answer small small? i don't even have another means of paying this debt which is due by december.
wetin make i do abeg?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 3:47pm On May 21, 2010
Abeg, wetin make i do? has anyone experienced this before? what did that person do?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 4:21pm On May 21, 2010
make una talk oo before i vex undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by stagger: 1:22pm On May 22, 2010
honesty is always the best policy. Go to the bank and cross check to see if there was a wrong posting in your account. If there was none, and all checks show no mistake has been made anywhere, then and only then can you use the money.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Project10: 1:41pm On May 22, 2010
Transfer it to a high paying investment account for a short period of time, preferably within the same bank.Let the money work for you, then report it to the matter to your bank. Even 24 hours would give you some good interest from that amount, and you are still being honest
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by franctony(m): 2:07pm On May 22, 2010
why are you disturbing peoples peace. are you still a child to know what theft is. do the right thing which you know quite well and stop being childish
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Irunmole(m): 2:59pm On May 22, 2010
Notify the bank of this error as, if you spend it it would be deemed as stolen by yourself despite the circumstances surrounding how it got credited in to your account, albeit erroneously. The bank in this case will be within their absolute legal right to chase you to the end of time for it, make no mistake about it. You should not aim to reap where you have not sown. You may even be rewarded by both the bank and the account holder, for your selfless act of human honesty in the face of temptation and instant financial gratification in a climate of pervasive, brutal, energy-sapping, soul-rendering economic hardship.

How would you feel if you were in the other person's shoes?

Tempting as it seems, honesty, personal integrity and common-sense should be allowed to prevail at this point

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by suxes2005(m): 7:41pm On May 22, 2010
@OP

Go 2 d bank and check if its a mistake
or not.

SHALOM
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 7:50am On May 23, 2010
Well, since it's weekend, you don't expect me to go to the bank this late, i have checked again, still there, i won't go to the bank, might call, but not go.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by akinalabi(m): 7:07pm On May 23, 2010
Its up to you to decide whether to do what is right or wrong.

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by flolimited: 7:30am On May 24, 2010
guy no 1 steals from the banK and gets away from it, go to the banK and sorts tins out,
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Yefet(m): 8:26am On May 24, 2010
As a Christian I will advise you contact the Bank. But from other point of view; what if the money was deposited by an anonymous (someone who knows you) but dont want you to know he/she deposited the funds, and the the bank decided to claim it and say they have paid it back to the original owner? This days you cant trust Nigerian bankers as their difference with corrupt police,politician is just the letter "P" and "B".

There are times that I feel like donating money to my church through it's account so they don't know it's me. People tend to do that too. But As a honest citizen of Heaven and of Earth go to the Bank yourself and don't call because you might end up calling someone who could collude with others to take the money out.

Nigerian is Land of wonders only God can help us!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by surugede(m): 9:51am On May 24, 2010
hmmmmmm. fighting temptation!!!

somebody will pay for that if u dont take it back

a road safety corp found 45k at the scene of an accident and took the money back to the family of the deceased, next he was playing in Who deserves to be a millionaire with Charlie boy by his side. how much he win sef? certainly more than 45k with a peace of mind.

Am I saying that u will be called into who deserves to be a millionaire? i am only saying that good pays and its payment gives a rest of mind
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by adconline(m): 10:03am On May 24, 2010
This happened to me with Contitnetal Trus Bank - later merged with STB.  I was expecting some payments from mutiple sources and  one of the idiot bankers with fat finger credited my account twice  ie 5K now 10K. I assumed the second party paid in  as well and used some ofthe money to buy the supplies they had requested for.
I got to the bank, the bank treated me as a criminal, I was forced  to go to my other bank to withdraw the remaining balance to make up for the over-credited sum.
After this whole saga, I was bitter and embarassed and decided to clean my account with CTB- just left like 1K in the account, then transferred to another bank, few weeks later - my new found bank went bankprupt.  

NB:
This is the  source of my poverty and it's the primary reason why I cannot match IBB Dollar for Dollar , Eliza for Eliza  and Naira for Naira-  in 2011 campaign. Nigeria has missed a potential president.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by areaboi: 10:05am On May 24, 2010
Should i give you ibori's numba?.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by squad1: 10:06am On May 24, 2010
If u have d courage, return d money. for someone like me, i dont have luck wiv things like that, if i take somebody's #10, i bet u by the end of the day i will lose #100. it has happened to me not once, twice, thrice,

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by dustydee: 10:07am On May 24, 2010
Get the depositors number from the bank and call him/her cos the banker may decide to withdraw the money convert it to personal use.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by mamus2010(f): 10:12am On May 24, 2010
Please call the bank and confirm who made the deposit and get them to check their records to ensure they posted properly. the response will determine your next move.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Kx: 10:14am On May 24, 2010
If u see unexpected debit entries, u take corrective actions fast.
Now that it is credit entry,u wan chop clean mouth?
notify the bank and return the money.
it could be someone's hard earned savings wrongly posted to your account
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by oluagness(m): 10:16am On May 24, 2010
Go and confirm if the money is really sent to you. If not do not spend it , imagine you mistakingly send to other man's account, how will you feel?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by mrofficial(m): 10:21am On May 24, 2010
flolimited:

guy no 1 steals from the banK and gets away from it, go to the banK and sorts tins out,

Kai, who told u?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 10:31am On May 24, 2010
i think u have made up ur mind on stealing the money, cos there is no need to ask for advice when u know what is right

well good Luck remember what goes around comes around, ur turn would come maybe it would be 10Million then or something higher

if u like u return it if u like u dont, that is ur problem. remember the bank would trace it one day and the day it happens u would be sending us mail from kirikiri asking for advice how to excape.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by jorem(m): 10:33am On May 24, 2010
Infact I'm really impressed by all the responses sofar on this issue i never thought we could have up to 10% support for the poster to return the money, this is quite impressive.

Something like this has happened to a friend of mine when he was preparing for an event, the person dropped the money in that account tagged it balance payment. My friend didn't even border to confirm the source of the payment,  he withdrew it sap sap.

I will advice that effort should be made to confirm the depositor's details probably through a friend working with the bank and from there further steps could be taken
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 10:35am On May 24, 2010
you know the right thing to do, dont evne think twice. Contact the bank
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by topkin(m): 10:35am On May 24, 2010
Really, it is tempting! But the best thing to do is to report it, albeit it was erroneous! Put yourself in the depositor's shoes and imagine how it would feel if it happened to you. Just report the case.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by deeplo(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2010
bros this thing has happened to me in February this year. i was in real need of money and my elder bro send me some money and instead of the bank to credit it with 40k which my bro send to me the banker fool press more "0" than he ought to have pressed totalling 4m i called my bro is he has won jackpot to send me such money and he said NO i also confirm from online and the money was 4m i quickly ran to ATM to confirm too and it was TRUE. at that juncture i knew am in trouble if i take a penny from it later that night i check my account again  GBAM! the 4m is gone, all this happened on friday between 3pm and 7pm, trust me, the bank will find u and u will cough all the money if u ever take a kobo from it.

thank God i did not remove the money when i went to ATM. LEARN FROM OTHERS BROS
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by davidif: 10:41am On May 24, 2010
OMO, RETURN AM OOOOO. shocked THIS IS THE DEVIL'S WORK TO TEMPT YOU NOT GOD OOOO.

Tell the bank about it, like some have said it might be a test. YOU KNOW THE RIGHT THING TO DO, WHY NOT DO IT LIKE THE BIBLE SAYS.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by tolu001: 10:51am On May 24, 2010
Going to the bank is definitely a wrong decision cos whether u like it or  not, the bank will always claim there is a mistake somewhere and at the end of the day some of those corrupt bankers might claim the money and convert it into personal use without returning it to the original owner. Meanwhile, i would rather advice u 2 get the details of the sender from the bank and do some investigation on it, while in the meantime, transfer the money into some high paying investments in the bank (atleast the money shouldn't just sleep there), it should be able to work for u while u await some strange calls probably from the owner or  the bank and make sure u dont spend a kobo from the money for now, just let it work 4 u till someone comes out to claim it.

Who knows it might even be from some of those corrupt politicians looking for  means to split their stolen funds into anonymous accounts with the mind of coming back to claim it.

Meanwhile, get ur lawyer informed and continue ur normal life

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by AMIRACH: 10:56am On May 24, 2010
return it peacefully or shamefully by force
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 10:57am On May 24, 2010
like someone rightly said, what if i call the bank and the person overthere converts the money to his/hers?

what if i go to the customer care and he or she ends up converting the money to theirs?

what if the money was actually sent to me by someone who did not want to let his identity known?

or what if the money was sent by someone i know but has not been able to reach me yet?

i am planning to leave the money there for months, i am not expecting to go to the bank with my money or call them with my money, i need every #1 i have now and not ready to let go of 50kobo.

if the money is not really for me, it would be removed within this month or next month at most, if not, it's mine undecided
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by pewekac: 11:11am On May 24, 2010
isdis4real:

like someone rightly said, what if i call the bank and the person overthere converts the money to his/hers?

what if i go to the customer care and he or she ends up converting the money to theirs?

what if the money was actually sent to me by someone who did not want to let his identity known?

or what if the money was sent by someone i know but has not been able to reach me yet?

i am planning to leave the money there for months, i am not expecting to go to the bank with my money or call them with my money, i need every #1 i have now and not ready to let go of 50kobo.

if the money is not really for me, it would be removed within this month or next month at most, if not, it's mine undecided

having worked in a bank before i can tell it's most likely wrong posting by a teller. if they have their correct controls in place (call over etc) they should be able to detect in in 24hours and reverse the posting. if they don't and the money stays for say 2 weeks o boy then chop the money (especially if you have a gross to settle with them). by then it will be gross negligence and they won't really be able to threaten you. you can simply say you rightly though it was payment for a business transaction you did and all the staff involved will be seriously queried.

the only thing is if the account is one of your most used ones and you have other monies/interests in the bank, then they'll go hard on you.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Mbeki: 11:18am On May 24, 2010
isdis4real:

Guys, wetin make i do? me wey dey debts of close to #1m don suddenly see free money that would go a long way in helping me pay some of the bills, what should i do oo? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Should i go withdraw?
should i call the bank?
should i leave it there?
should i just ,   undecided undecided undecided undecidedoooooh, wetin make i do? i need money like mad, abi na God wan help me solve some of my problems?
Abi na my prayers God don dey answer small small? i don't even have another means of paying this debt which is due by december.
wetin make i do abeg?

i opened this new id because i didn't want to use my old id (well known id) lipsrsealed
This guy is bluffing. If it is true, He won't even come on board to announce it. He'll quietly return the money if he is truthful or conner the money if he is dubious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Again Naira Falls, Sells At N465 Per Dollar / Controversial Ibaka Seaport Relocated And Renamed. / Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.