Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup (3226 Views)

Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) / Jubilation As Villagers Kill A Huge Python, Set To Prepare Pepper Soup(photos) / Ofe Nsala Soup: How To Prepare Delicious Ofe Nsala Soup With Goat Meat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by vinegurl(f): 6:31am On May 10, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SU_Gd09LM

Egusi pepper soup is a popular Nigerian savory Pepper Soup dish with a light consistency. It is particularly common among the people of Niger-Delta in Nigeria, this is quite easy to prepare, as easy as making other pepper soup dishes, the only difference is the addition of egusi (ground melon seed) which takes it from being a side dish to a main meal that can be served with pounded yam swallow.

Beef, fresh fish or smoked fish can be used for egusi pepper soup, however, I made use of goat meat because I love it gamey flavour in a light soup like egusi pepper soup. Feel free to use any meat of your choice for this soup.

Ingredients for egusi pepper soup

• 500g goat meat
• ½ cup of egusi seeds
• 2 tablespoon ground crayfish
• 2 scotch bonnets
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2-3 stock cubes
• 8 pieces uziza leaves or spinach, shredded
• ½ teaspoon ground Uziza seed
• Pepper soup spices

Steps on how to prepare egusi pepper soup

1. Rinse goat meat into a pot, season with pepper, onions and two stock cubes, add water and place on heat to cook.
2. While the meat is boiling, bring egusi seeds in a pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes until they turn golden.
3. Add the egusi into a blender and blend into a smooth powder, then set aside. Dress the smoked fish, shred Uziza seed and set all aside for
later use.
4. After the meat has cooked for 20minutes, add the blended pepper soup spices, more pepper and allow to cook properly.
5. Once the meat is tender, ground crayfish, ground egusi and stir, taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste. You can add more water if
the initial has reduced.
6. Cook the soup for 10 minutes until it starts to thicken, but not really thick, add the shredded uziza leaves and stir to incorporate.
7. Leave the soup to simmer for 3 minutes. Egusi pepper soup is ready once all the ingredients are well incorporated and you have a light
consistency like Ofe Nsala.
8. Serve egusi pepper soup with Pounded yam or with your preferred swallow.

Cc. Lalasticlala, Oboinascopy, mynd44, Seun, ishilove, Jummiefoodie, Cococandy, Jagugu88li, Fynestboi, , Dominique . Angelsss, KimberlyWest, Queenitee. Please check this out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by Brooke60(f): 6:49am On May 10, 2018
I dont like this look though

1 Like

Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by Nobody: 7:35am On May 10, 2018
Yummy! smiley looks good.

Op, I need to be part of this meal wink

1 Like

Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by unknownsolja: 4:34pm On May 10, 2018
see as you spoil my best soup.i day vex
Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by cassidy1996(m): 5:14pm On May 10, 2018
Cook vine! thanks .... have been waiting for this.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by vinegurl(f): 1:23am On May 11, 2018
pp802:
Yummy! smiley looks good.

Op, I need to be part of this meal wink
thanks, sure you can be.
Re: Egusi Pepper Soup: How To Prepare Spicy Egusi Pepper Soup by vinegurl(f): 1:24am On May 11, 2018
cassidy1996:
Cook vine! thanks .... have been waiting for this.
thanks so much, I'm glad you have found it helpful

(1) (Reply)

Multigrain Cereal And Maize And Rice Flour. / Nigerians Eat Indian Food For The First Time At Pondicheri | Chicken Tikka Masal / Training! Training!! Training!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.