Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,541 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:35 PM

A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs (14090 Views)

A Review Of Lagos Fully Automatic And Self-Cleaning Public Toilet - Photos / Woman Dies After Consuming Herbal Drugs She Bought To Lighten Her Skin / "MouthAction Is Dangerous" Gynaecologist Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by UncleSnr(m): 8:48am On May 10, 2018
Drugs have been used since civilization began for medication, meditation, divination and recreation. But at no time in history has there been such grave concern-from heads of state to the average citizen over the epidemic nature of drug abuse and the insidious social and financial consequences of illicit trafficking. “Drug abuse presents as destructive a threat to this and coming generations in earlier centuries,” Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar told the Economic and social council on 24th May 1985.

What then is a drug?

A drug is usually defined as any chemical substance which brings about physiological emotional and behavioural changes in a person.

To be more explicit, a drug can be defined as a chemical compound that may be used or administered to human beings or animals as an aid to the diagnosis treatment conditions for the relief of pain or suffering or to control or improve any physiological or pathological condition.

a. Barbiturates

The term ‘barbiturate’ generally refers to drugs which derivatives of barbituric acid. They are commonly referred to as sleeping pills, a good example is a phenobarbitone. The drugs are most often linked to suicide and accidental poisoning. Others in this group include a Morbarbital Amytal), pentobarbital (Nembutal) and secobarbital.

Marlow (1974) gave the following information about barbiturates: they are sedatives commonly employed to relax the central nervous system which in turn brings about the relocation of the heart muscle, skeletal muscles and the nerves. Continued use or overdose may cause confusion, slurred, staggering gait and decreased the ability to concentrate and work. Since the central nervous system is responsible, not only for thinking, reasoning and sensory powers but also for vital functions such as breathing and heartbeat, It is easy to see that if it were slowed down to the point of stopping, death would inevitably result. This is what happens when people die from taking too many barbiturates or sleeping pills.

In Britain, barbiturates are commonly prescribed. Approximately 15 million prescriptions per annum were issued every year from 1961 to 1968 in the U.K. Combined with non-hypnotics they accounted for 9% of all prescriptions issued in England and Wales in 1961 and 7.9% in 1968 (Zacune and Hensman (1971).

b. Amphetamine

Amphetamines and related drugs are central nervous system stimulants with actions resembling those of the naturally-occurring substance, adrenaline. They are usually in tablets form and are usually used by students and long distance drivers. The best-known members of this group in Canada amphetamine itself (e.g. Benzedrine), dextroamphetamine (e.g. Dexedrine), methamphetamine (e.g. Methedrine), longer legally available in Canada and methylphenidate E.g. Ritalin.

Under the slang name, “uppers” amphetamines have been widely used for their mood-altering effects. “Speed” refers to injectable methamphetamine. People use these drugs -‘- a variety of non-medical reasons; to avoid sleep while lying or driving, as already stated, to attempt to improve athletic performance, and to counter the effects of depressant drugs. It is also commonly called “pep pills”, “wake up”, “jolly bean”, “dexa”, “dose” and “Chinese capsule”.

According to the Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario, January 1981 and reproduced by Task Force on Drug Ministry of Health Headquarters, Jos, the effects of amphetamines, like those of adrenaline, are exerted not – the “brain, but also on the heart, lungs and many other organs. It affects the central nervous system and at low doses usually prescribed, central nervous system effects de reduced appetite, increased energy and alertness. Performance of tasks is faster; however, much is soon forgotten. Physical effects at low doses include faster breathing and heart-rate, increased blood pressure and dilation of pupils.

With frequent high doses of amphetamine, there is risk burst blood vessel or heart failure caused by high pressure. Occasionally these effects are fatal. There could also be weight loss, skin trouble and ulcers. Also, a person in a weakened condition tends to pick up pneumonia and other infections easily; car accidents may be caused by taking much of these drugs since they cause dizziness id confusion, poor judgement, illusion, abnormal perception and profound depression leading to suicide. Hepatitis is common among ”speed” users who regularly employ needle.

c. Morphine Narcotics

The opiates are derived from the opium poppy. They include morphine, heroin, methadone and others. They are so-called ‘hard drugs’ or ‘narcotics’ described as ‘junkies’ and users as ‘junkies’. These drugs are nearly always injected with a syringe either intravenously into blood (mainline) or subcutaneously (skin popping). Hospital workers, mainly nurses, musicians and addicted patients take it.

Some of these drugs are used for the relief of severe pain. They are very important therapeutically but repeat-use leads to psychic and physical dependence with unpleasant symptoms and withdrawal syndrome. A high degree of degree tolerance develops so that continually increasing dosage squired to obtain the same effect. Most users suffer. Ill-health and some die from pneumonia, malnutrition, liver disease and. infection due to use of dirty needles. Other side effects include restlessness, nausea, vomiting, slowed breathing and death. Withdrawal symptoms are diarrhoea, stomach cramps, chills, sweating and nausea when Bse abuser stops using the drug.

d. Tobacco

There are various forms of smokable, chewable and snuff tobacco. According to Bureau of Census in America estimates, there million teenagers smoked in 1968 and by 1978 that number is believed to have been more than doubled.

The health hazards of cigarettes lie in the chemistry of smoking. More than 4,000 components have been identified in cigarette smoke with up to 500 present in the vapour phase, which is a mixture of gases, vapours and small particles which condense to form the sticky substance called ‘tar’. Some of the components of cigarette smoke are highly toxic. These include hydrogen sulphate, form aldehydes and hydrogen cyanide. Nicotine content in cigarettes varies from 0.5mgto 2mg depending on whether it is a light or strong brand.

Tobacco smoking shortens life and produces among other things colic, diarrhoea, ulceration of the lungs, asthma, coughs, pain in the heart, cancer, undernourishment and impotence.

e. Cannabis (Indian hemp)

Cannabis or marijuana or hashish in its various forms holds at present a position intermediate between drug and opiates. The drug is generally accepted and widely used and some people are known to suffer ill effects from it. Opiates, or more precisely heroin, are not generally accepted and are seen as being almost invariably harmful to the users. Cannabis, on the other hand, has changed from a drug with few users and low acceptance of the situation where it is commonly used and is accepted by some groups in the society. There is a great deal of confusion and ignorance is Britain about the destination between its actual and its alleged effects. The confusion and ignorance occur in both cannabis-using and non-using groups.

Indian hemp is the common name for a crude drug made from the plant cannabis sativa. The mind-altering (psycho-action), but more than 400 other chemicals are also in the plant. The Indian help cigarette is made from the dried particles of the plant. It is usually smoked in either hand-often mixed with tobacco for smoking. Akindele and Oloyede 91974); Awaritefe and Ebie (1975); Lambo (1960, 1965) and a host of others have indicated that cannabis is the most frequently abused drug in Nigeria.

When a single dose of Indian hemp is taken, effects disappear within a few hours or day. The most common short-term of a small dose is:

- A feeding euphoria and a tendency to talk and laugh more than usual
- An increase in the pulse rate
- A reddening of the eyes which can be seen, and
- Becoming quiet and sleepy at a later stage.

At larger doses, these effects are increased and the user may misjudge the passage of time, so that a few minutes may seem like an hour. Perception of sounds, colour and other sensations maybe sharpened or disturbed.

Long-term effects may impair brain activities including short-term memory, judgement, hearing ability, co-ordination and the ability, coordination and the ability follow moving objects. Decrease a male sex hormone called testosterone and reduce sperm production. Interfere with menstrual cycle and cause birth defect in babies of mothers using the drug. Harm the heart, lungs and immune system and cause dependence and tolerance. They are popularly called “burnout” and the term was first used by Indian hemp smokers themselves to describe the effect of prolonged use. Young people, who smoke it heavily over long periods of time can become dulls, slow moving and inattentive. These “burned-out” users are sometime so unaware of their surroundings that they do not respond when friends speak to them, and they do not realize they have a problem.

f. Tranquilizers

Tranquilizations are usually prescribed to relieve anxiety and relax muscles. Like other depressants, they are very dangerous when used with alcohol. They must not be used except on doctor’s prescription.

They are also control nervous system depressants. Minor tranquilizers are valium (diazepam), Librium (Chlordiazepoxide), Serax and Tranxene. They are among the most prescribed drugs. Major tranquilizers are Thorazine (Chlorpromazine), Mellaril (Thioridazine), Stelazing and Haldo. They are potentially dangerous when combined with alcohol.

Tranquilizers mixed with other downers like alcohol/sedative-hypnotic, sedative-hypnotic/tranquilizer can kill. Do it now Foundation Institute for chemical survival, America (1979).

g. Antibiotic

“… and don’t drink any booze or the stuff won’t work”. This said by the ‘Do it now Foundation Institute for Chemical Survival (1979) in America-That is a familiar phrase to anyone who has been prescribed an antibiotic in America. Certain antibiotics are slowed down by high blood alcohol levels.

Antibiotics commonly used include the penicillins, tetracycline, chloramphenicol, spectrin and a few others.

h. Analgesics

Analgesics are pain-relievers, such as aspirin, phensic, cafenol, rohypnol, codeine and sparine. Do it Nov/ Foundation Institute for Chemical Survival (197&wink wrote that ”aspirin is the safest and the best and cheapest chemical pain reliever money can buy. It is a drug which means it can be dangerous when used too often, or in larger – than recommended quantities when used incorrectly, aspirin can cause among other things – fringing in the ears’, vertigo and hearing loss, all of which usually disappear when aspirin use is discontinued,” They also wrote that overuse of aspirin can cause permanent damage, such as ulcerative colitis, gastro-intestinal bleeding, kidney damage and aplastic anemia. Aspirin can be harmful to certain persons even when taken ‘as directed’. Those with conditions such as hemophilia (bleeders) asthma or allergic conditions should consult their doctors before using any amount of the drug.

i. Caffeine

Caffeine is a stimulant which is derived from coffee beans, tea, kolanuts and cocoa beans and used in many soft drinks. It could also be in tablet form. Prolonged use of it causes a rise in blood pressure and attracts of tachycardia. It can cause a confessional state and mild addiction. It aggravates ulcers and causes nervousness and sleeplessness when used in excess. It can also cause dependence and tolerance. Common users are students, drivers, office workers and tolerance. Common users are students, drivers office workers and elderly people.

j. Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD)

They are commonly referred to as ‘Hallucinogens’ because they cause some ‘unreal’ reactions. They affect a person’s thinking, awareness and senses. They include LASD, Diethylamide, Mescaline made from a cactus and Psilocybin made from a mushroom. They bring about changes in self awareness, emotions and changes in perception of time, space, delusions and hallucinations e.g. ‘seeing’ sounds and ‘hearing colours. They could also cause panic, suspiciousness, anxiety, and feeling of helplessness and loss of control. There Id also be flashbacks (experiencing the drugs’ effects without taking them again) and quick development of tolerance.

LSD taking is still common amongst certain groups of people in the U.S.A. A study of 15 – 25-year-olds attending a psychiatric emergency service in Massachusetts revealed that over half of the 100 subjects studied had used marijuana and 35 had used LSD or amphetamines. In the study above of professional students and graduates, 4% admitted to LSD use.

k. Glue and Solvent Sniffing

The inhalation of the fumes from glue or from other sources has always appeared to be a minor part of drug abuse in Britain and in other developing and underdeveloped countries. A very special group, anaesthetists, has been known to include a few members who would habitually join “heir patients in inhaling the gases used in anaesthesia, but such practices are liable to be noticed by colleagues and are rare.

Hindmarch (1972) described glue and solvent-sniffing as occurring in 14 and 15-year-olds and being an almost purely adolescent phenomenon. In Canada, there was a considerable problem with glue-sniffing in 1968. At that time, 5.7 of 12-19-year-olds reported having experienced intoxication this way, but by 1972 the number had reduced to are 2,9% isolated cases of death due to glue-sniffing has Ben reported.

It is the vogue among descents in Nigeria i.e. sniffing of the solution, solvent, and even petrol. Because is cheap and easily available, these youngsters use it get “high’ thereby giving them the bravery to commit crimes like pick-pocketing or facing the opposite sex. This is the most popularly abused drug amongst youngsters the society.

Read Full Article on The Causes and Effects of Drug Abuse amongst Students

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by veekid(m): 9:04am On May 10, 2018
On a codein diet already

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by cbrezy(m): 9:04am On May 10, 2018
���

1 Share

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by CriticMaestro: 9:04am On May 10, 2018
Fvck those shiits...
I rep marijuana anytime, anyday

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by NwaAmaikpe: 9:04am On May 10, 2018
shocked

I just don't understand the craze for hard drugs.
Can a user explain in clear terms how it feels to be high on drugs?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by emmy4lov(m): 9:06am On May 10, 2018
When you put dongoyaro in a bottle of shepe or dry gine, that cures any malaria.. grin

Urgent sale: Samsung galaxy S6 edge for sale 57k
Whatsapp 08050447106 see the link for details
https://www.nairaland.com/4496398/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-sale#67434887
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Gangster1ms: 9:06am On May 10, 2018
That glue gas make sense o.. love getting high on it back then.
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by frfr: 9:06am On May 10, 2018
Say no to drugs. wink
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by DJMCOTTY(m): 9:07am On May 10, 2018
You expect me to read all these after one wrap of SK? Wait make my eye clear small

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by lilfreezy: 9:07am On May 10, 2018
Online Amajiris running into this thread like.... grin

5 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by ItzBIM(m): 9:08am On May 10, 2018
K
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Twoclans(f): 9:08am On May 10, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I am also interested in this explanation. embarassed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by larmu(m): 9:09am On May 10, 2018
I read it all, whew!!!
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Sheenor: 9:09am On May 10, 2018
Say yes to protein diet!

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by UncleSnr(m): 9:10am On May 10, 2018
It is the vogue among descents in Nigeria i.e. sniffing of the solution, solvent, and even petrol. Because is cheap and easily available, these youngsters use it get “high’ thereby giving them the bravery to commit crimes like pick-pocketing or facing the opposite sex.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by MrMoney007: 9:12am On May 10, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Did NwaAmaikpe just made sense?

Anyway, I salute your sense of realism you've been exhibiting, only a handful can catch up with your level of IQ.

But U dey sound like idiot sometimes.

16 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Nobody: 9:12am On May 10, 2018
ONE THING MUST KILL A MAN!
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by davillian(m): 9:15am On May 10, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Try exol-5 you will get the perfect answer to your questions.

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by ybalogs(m): 9:16am On May 10, 2018
*DRUGS NIGERIAN YOUTHS INDULGE AND ABUSE WHICH YOU CANNOT JUST BELIEVE*
Shared by Smith Gibby.

These are some of the substances Nigerian youths now engage themselves in:

- Codeine
- Tramadol
- 10 days old urine
- Dry pawpaw leaves
- Hypo in lacasera
- Tom Tom in lacasera
- Burnt bitumen
- Dry plantain leaves
- Burnt tyres
- Spirogyra
-Rephnol
-Methylated spirit in codeine
- Cannabis, ganja, Igbo, Weed
-Gum
-Lizard poo/Ebi-Gbara in Nupe

Be warned,they are deadly .

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by maxiuc(m): 9:21am On May 10, 2018
cry
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Nobody: 9:23am On May 10, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

one thing is to take drugs,the other is to get high on it.2004,my friends took me to one woman and she served us something in a cup,I was told it was herbs for malaria,I took it shap shap cus I love anything herbs cus I don’t take meds..I took a bike home,once I got off the bike,I felt strange,like 4 people entered me,I would have lost my life that day,I developed the confidence and cross the road without even looking,a car was coming and with one weird look,the car stopped.i ddnt pay the bike man from the bus stop to my house,thank God say dem sabi my mama for area!!once I got to my room,I looked at the mirror,my eyes were blood eye!!!!i had to eat in my room,I ate 5 wraps of big fufu,slept offf immediately I ate.did I tell you I helped a babe while on the bike.after 2 days,the babe called me and I was like I can’t remember giving out my number!!!my friends later revealed I took monkey tail...that was my first and last!!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by mistercharles: 9:23am On May 10, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

who no come no-go know
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Gpik79: 9:27am On May 10, 2018
Don't waste your time buying illegitimate phones, buy from us and get receipt and Warranty
Phones are used in pristine condition
*All Phones are 4G Enabled and have at least 32GB internal storage.

Samsung Note 4--------50k
Samsung Note 5---------75k
Samsung S5--------35k
Samsung S6--------55k
Samsung S6 Edge-------75k
Samsung S6 Edge Plus---------95k
Samsung S7------77k
Samsung S7 Edge--------110k 
LG G2----------------25k
LG G3----------------30k
LG G4----------------35k
LG G5----------------65k
LG G6----------------100k
LG V10--------------55k
LG V20--------------85k
HTC M7------------25k
HTC M8------------30k
HTC M9------------45k
HTC A9-------------50k

*All phones coming with Receipt and Warranty

Call: 0812.932.2593

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Offpoint: 9:28am On May 10, 2018
ah...i'm a sleeping pill addict o... that barbiturates shít scares me o... cuz I can't get a natural sleep without a pill.
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by jordyspices: 9:28am On May 10, 2018
Na today
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by jeeqaa7(m): 9:32am On May 10, 2018
Y
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by zinaunreal(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2018
Leave weed out of this. What a rubbish post!!

6 Likes

Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by stubbornman(m): 9:38am On May 10, 2018
Baba eh long ohhhhhhhh... I swear I been wan read am
Re: A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs by Josh64(m): 9:39am On May 10, 2018
Just out of curiosity, I did weed, codeine, rohypnol and I can tell you I don't understand how anyone gets addicted to those shhit! The one wey dey vex me pass na gegemu, monkey tail and pawpaw; e just be like say the users dem get death wish.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyo Confirms 31 New COVID-19 Cases / Ghana Seed Health Benefits For All / NHIS Executive Secretary Usman Yusuf And The 25 Billion Naira Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.