Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

What Does Befitting Burial Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does Befitting Burial Mean? (7059 Views)

Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial / Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Dignitaries At The Burial Of Ooni Of Ife (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Befitting Burial Mean? by oluwabamis(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2010
I keep wondering what is meant by befitting burial. Is it the cost of the coffin?, the aso ebi (uniform clothings), the elaborate parties?, the fight over will and inheritance, what is really befitting burial. My father in-law died about 3 wks ago and after the burial (Muslim style), the children and grandkids started a war on how to organise a grand burial party (befitting burial in their own case). Million of naira had been planned for the parties. What amazed me is the amount of money being budgetted. If the dead man had access to this kind of money , he probably wont die. Iam trully fed up with this crazy culture
Re: What Does Befitting Burial Mean? by cantell(m): 9:51am On May 22, 2010
^^^ call it crazy or anything you like, but its culture.
Though i do not support wasting money on a burial for a poor man.
Re: What Does Befitting Burial Mean? by vivaladiva(f): 2:09am On May 25, 2010
oluwabamis, i campletely agree with u
we focus so mch on trivialities in the name of culture
4 those of u that like to jump on the culture band wagon
culture is dynamic, it evolves, it undergoes modification, having a huge elaborate burial as far as am concerned is a waste of time, money and effort especially if the person in question died like a church rat

people should have have far beta reasons to justify certain practices rather than just saying its our culture
a whole bunch of atrocities r committed in the name of culture, i wont bother to name any

y do they have such elaborate burials
culture
occasion that brings the family to gether
oppurtunity to cry cry and then chop chop after
a sign of respect
these r reasons
i put it to culture advocates that the egyptian pharoes were buried with all kinds of expensive and golden blah blah blah, justt because the egyptians of today dont do it anymore, doesnt make them less egyptian than the pharoes
Re: What Does Befitting Burial Mean? by agathamari(f): 10:44pm On May 30, 2010
depends on the culture. befitting burial means to include all tradional customs associated with the funeral. if the traditional custom is burring then the coffin, head stone, grave, clothing, eulogy, and the like. while if the custom is say toppers or cremation or water rites then the customs would be different

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Ti Afi Nri Owo Ni Irorun / Beautiful Ikwerre Names And Meaning / Tall People Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.