Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:53 PM

NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU - Health (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU (52106 Views)

Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive / JOHESU Set To Embark On Indefinite Strike / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by TempoJames(m): 5:01pm On May 19, 2018
UBTH Johesu memebers have involve in a fatal accident.
Why don't the pharmacists and other members of Johesu that know more than medical doctors treat their own? The same hospital they put under lock and key is where they are being treated.
The power of a 'doctor' doesn't lie on the name but what we are made of.
Even the Society has raise medical doctors above every other health profession.
Sure way to know this, present representatives each arm of Johesu and present a medical doctor and see who the px will chose to tx him/her.
You think medicine ends with obtaining mbbs?
Even a prof of medicine will tell u he/she hasn't seen(± know) it all.
Have u guys been to a ward round and see how a consultant percusses his senior reg? After exhausting all your knowledge on an issue a consultant will hold his/her little finger and stare directly into your sweaty forehead and humbled eyes saying... ehn ehn that is 1 point(5/100)...u see you know nothing in front of pxs n johesu members that claim they know more than docs. I wish Johesu members go on ward rounds with docs let's see the depth of their knowledge.
You want to be doctors on a platter of gold.
HYPOCRYTES!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by zhyzhy: 5:42pm On May 19, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4513269/19-johesu-members-ubth-chapter

A big pity. May they recover speedily. Amen.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by danilmo: 5:48pm On May 19, 2018
TempoJames:
Why don't the pharmacists and other members of Johesu that know more than medical doctors treat their own? The same hospital they put under lock and key is where they are being treated.
Sure way to know this, present representatives each arm of Johesu and present a medical doctor and see who the px will chose to tx him/her.
Have u guys been to a ward round and see how a consultant percusses his senior reg? After exhausting all your knowledge on an issue a consultant will hold his/her little finger and stare directly into your sweaty forehead and humbled eyes saying... ehn ehn that is 1 point(5/100)...u see you know nothing in front of pxs n johesu members that claim they know more than docs. I wish Johesu members go on ward rounds with docs let's see the depth of their knowledge.
HYPOCRYTES!

boss, pls contact them, they should have taken them to a pharmD pharmaceutical shop, these guys can do it better, I learnt they now correct doctors o..

I don't want to laugh but, I wonder the face after recovery that the same doctor they hated saved them..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by aribisala0(m): 6:04pm On May 19, 2018
TempoJames:
HYPOCRYTES!

Nobody percusses anyone any more. That is so 1960s

Nigeria refuses to move with the times

You lack exposure . That is your problem.

What proportion of doctors in Nigeria have more than MBBS. How many doctos in Nigeria take part in any kind of CPD

How many doctors in Nigeria graduate without cheating in exams or forging signatures for procedures not done/observed

Power of a doctor? What power? to turn water into wine?

The typical doctor in Nigeria is a textbook doctor livingin the stoneage.

Spare us the hubris and keep it real

How many doctors in the whole of Nigeria have ever as in EVER used a defibrillator?

You guys still use Pinhard stethoscopes for fuckksssakes

7 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by danilmo: 6:33pm On May 19, 2018
aribisala0:

What proportion of doctors in Nigeria have more than MBBS. How many doctos in Nigeria take part in any kind of CPD

How many doctors in Nigeria graduate without cheating in exams or forging signatures for procedures not done/observed

How many doctors in the whole of Nigeria have ever as in EVER used a defibrillator?

whether ure daft or crazy, that I don't know but I know ure not normal..

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by TempoJames(m): 6:34pm On May 19, 2018
aribisala0:

I used a defribillator even as an undergraduate in my M3/M4 postings under supervision of Prof.Anisuba..a prof of cardiology in UNTH as at 2008. So you talk nonsense!

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by WesleyPepper: 9:25pm On May 19, 2018
aribisala0:

See this ignoramus..
The doc you quoted wasn't talking about percussing a patient. When a superior asks questions to test one's knowledge; that's an act of percussion.

Now, run back to whatever hole you crawled out from grin

2 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by Jman06(m): 9:35pm On May 19, 2018
CarrilT:

Really who says they don't respect....meanwhile note the respect u said is seen in foreign counties is because everyone those his or her job without encroaching on the other....putting the patient as the center of practice.... Everyone respects the others pay package without oju koro to into another's pay.....so please check it....make everybody face hin work abeg
Yes! That is why JOHESU is asking for equity and fairness, not necessarily equality. It is NMA that should rather mind their business.

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by Freddonance(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2018
WesleyPepper:

See this ignoramus..
The doc you quoted wasn't talking about percussing a patient. When a superior asks questions to test one's knowledge; that's an act of percussion.

Now, run back to whatever hole you crawled out from grin

They always comment on what they know nothing about. He did not even read to comprehend the post

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by WesleyPepper: 9:52pm On May 19, 2018
Freddonance:

They always comment on what they know nothing about. He did not even read to comprehend the post
No mind the mumu guy nah

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by bjay08: 10:51pm On May 19, 2018
aribisala0:

Is it the doctor that will buy the defribillator too, or the fetal doppler? Msheww, abi the government, ode ni ele yi, its what the government provides the doctor uses mumu.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by aribisala0(m): 3:37am On May 20, 2018
bjay08:

Is it the doctor that will buy the defribillator too, or the fetal doppler? Msheww, abi the government, ode ni ele yi, its what the government provides the doctor uses mumu.

Does government buy equipment for lawyers, accountants,engineers.butchers or vet doctors?

Must doctors be government employees? Have they always been ,must they always . Oponu ni awon obi re ni ile ti akoti abo

Improve your English

The Nigerian doctor needs to grow up, master separation anxiety and learn to live without government

4 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by danilmo: 4:49am On May 20, 2018
aribisala0:

Does government buy equipment for lawyers, accountants,engineers.butchers or vet doctors?

Must doctors be government employees? Have they always been ,must they always . Oponu ni awon obi re ni ile ti akoti abo

Improve your English

The Nigerian doctor needs to grow up, master separation anxiety and learn to live without government

oh, ur cry now is not about their ego
its now about how they should use their money to fix equipment in public hospital,
asshh, !! this ur level of reasoning is aching ...

in ur small head now pilot too should use his money to improve comfort in an aircraft
Drivers of those transport company should use their money to fix those buses they drive

u for kuku ma say doctors should start treating for free naw since they took the medical oath

no clinical importance dey ur brain..spit..

3 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by WesleyPepper: 5:38am On May 20, 2018
danilmo:

its now about how they should use their money to fix equipment in public hospital,

in ur small head now pilot too should use his money to improve comfort in an aircraft
Drivers of those transport company should use their money to fix those buses they drive

u for kuku ma say doctors should start treating for free naw since they took the medical oath

The guy you quoted is a clown who pretends to know a lot . He's so empty and ignorant.

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by WesleyPepper: 5:40am On May 20, 2018
aribisala0:

Improve your English

Wetin person no go read for nairaland.
So, doctors should provide modern hospital equipments for government hospitals

You are not only ignorant but unreasonable as well.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by 1k001(m): 5:58am On May 20, 2018
Ego everywhere on this thread and in this country. Don't think we will ever done this problem the way things are currently set up. Left to me I'd organize hospitals into trusts with a governing board and let money follow the patient around. Let the local trusts fight themselves to Oblivion or since squabbles and look after the patients.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by fitzfrankses7(m): 6:37am On May 20, 2018
I have keenly watched and read how all of you(JOHESU and NMA alike) keep throwing jabs and curses at each other, arguments and counter-arguments on who is right and who is wrong and being quick to yell "International best practice" only when it suits your individual whims and caprices. In the end you're all just a product of a system that failed to teach intra professional tolerance, respect and work place harmony. It beats my imagination to see Med students been taught NMA/JOHESU rivalry (heck I was unfortunate to have emerged from that system but thank God I shed that skin) same goes for students of other equally important health professions; I was even more shocked when two siblings exchanged fisticuffs because of JOHESU/NMA rilvary.
I've been privileged to practice where the patient is truly king and won't hesitate to sue you for all you're worth for unhealthy workplace rivalry/supremacy; so we really had to be a Team-everyone knowing his job description and never claiming to know all. I've learned to love and respect every health worker in my team, because I need them if I'm to offer my best services and if they have a legitimate demand, I support them and vice versa.
If a Surgeon claims he knows better than a Pharmacist or Physiotherapist then he's mediocre and if a Med Lab Sctst or Nurse assumes he knows better than a Physician knows, he's also mediocre. Acrimony like this even leads to intolerance between Surgeons and Physicians so who's fooling who.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by Thanks18(m): 7:08am On May 20, 2018
*VERY IMPORTANT*
# Fowardedasrecieved .
# COPIED #
Our attention has been drawn to news making the round that UBTH JOHESU EXCO members were involved in a road traffic accident today 19.05.2018 on their way to Auchi in Edo state.
While there was indeed a road traffic accident:
** the victims are neither UBTH JOHESU EXCO
NOR MEMBERS**
We understand the desperation of the sponsors of this false news to always seek ways to score cheap points but we are saddened by the fact that they could descend so low as seeing the pain and anguish of the accident victims as something to be celebrated to the extent of uploading the pictures of this NIGERIANS IN PAIN to the whole world.
I want to state here again that this news is not correct as no UBTH JOHESU MEMBERS were involved in any kind of accident today and we shall by the GRACE OF GOD NOT BE INVOLVED IN ANY.
We want to advise ARD/NMA members to always check their facts and avoid rushing into conclusions so as not to continue spreading falsehoods to the general public.
They could have asked questions and get correct answers before painting the social media red with this lies.
I advice the NMA to avoid wishing JOHESU MEMBERS evil as evidenced by the way they celebrated this falsehood on the social media.
WE WISH THE VICTIMS OF THIS R.T.A A VERY QUICK RECOVERY.
WE ALSO APPEAL TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO PREVAIL ON THE MINISTERS OF HEALTH AND LABOUR TO QUICKLY PUT AN END TO THIS STRIKE BY DOING THE NEEDFUL.
GOD WILL CONTINUE TO PROTECT JOHESU MEMBERS.
OUR DEMANDS ARE LEGITIMATE.
GOD BLESS JOHESU.
OSIGBEME AUGUSTINE
Chairman, NANNM UBTH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by doofanc: 8:44am On May 20, 2018
danilmo:

boss, pls contact them, they should have taken them to a pharmD pharmaceutical shop, these guys can do it better, I learnt they now correct doctors o..

I don't want to laugh but, I wonder the face after recovery that the same doctor they hated saved them..

Stop being silly.

Like I said at the other thread, I'm not aware of any Johesu member denying the place of the doctor in the health care system. On the contrary, which group is constantly seeking the complete subjugation of other health care professionals simply because they dont have an MBBS?

All they are saying is LIVE AND LET LIVE. Stop being such greedy ****.

So nobody hates you or your like, sir.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by aribisala0(m): 8:59am On May 20, 2018
WesleyPepper:

Wetin person no go read for nairaland.
So, doctors should provide modern hospital equipments for government hospitals

You are not only ignorant but unreasonable as well.

Must doctors work in government hospitals?

Can't they employ themslves?

Don't they ?

When they do are they any better.

The point is doctors in Nigeria are backward even if you blamegovernment it does not change that fact.
The Nigerian doctor is not exposed to modern technology

Government cannot continue to be responsible for doctor trainng letthem pay for their training

doctors should start setting up health management companies not thinking like perpetual emplioyees

Federal Government has no business running hospitals

2 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by aribisala0(m): 9:03am On May 20, 2018
danilmo:

A doctor who still uses Pinhard stethoscope is just a wizard ,blaming government changes nothing.
Fact stilll remains that Nigerian specialist doctors are half-baked

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by danilmo: 12:17pm On May 20, 2018
aribisala0:

A doctor who still uses Pinhard stethoscope is just a wizard ,blaming government changes nothing.
Fact stilll remains that Nigerian specialist doctors are half-baked

never knew I was discussing with a depressed, pained and ignorant soul..
hmm..
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by lanxebony(m): 12:36pm On May 20, 2018
FROM THE DESK OF LAGOS STATE NANNM CHAIRMAN.

Good morning my comrades.

We appreciate your supports so far in this struggle.
Your efforts have not been in vain as we recorded some victories.

Nurses as noble professionals are not just challenging the authority we are only demanding for our LEGITIMATE RIGHTS.

We appreciate our amiable Governor for his swift attendance to some of our requests.

We appreciate the approval for the eventual commencement of internship in Lagos State for the graduate Nurses.

We are aware of the fear and agitation of already employed graduates in the service. I want to assure you that we shall explore all avenues to address the situation.

The correction of entry point from GL 09 to GL 10 is receiving the attention of our National Body as a NEW circular from the office of Head of Service of the Federation is required to correct the anomaly.
We not shall foreclose the ability of the state government to correct the error even before the release of federal circular.
You would recalled that our governor approved the lateral conversion before the federal government did likewise also maternity leave. Our governor therefore can do it.

We appreciate the approval of unified scheme of Service for Nurses as approved by the National Council on Establishment in 2016.

We appreciate LASUTH, MOH, & PHCB for the inclusion of Uniform Allowance in their year 2018 budget as enshrined in the Lagos State Public Service Rules.

We want to implore HSC not to be an exception.
The agency should consider raising a supplementary budget to pay the Uniform Allowance in 2018.

We appreciate the state government through the office of our Honourable Commissioner for Health for the promise to ensure central payment of the Uniform Allowance with effect from 2019.

We appreciate the State government for the assurance to pay the Adjusted CONHESS salary once the circular is released by the Federal government.

We appreciate all other commitments by the state government.

It is in view of the above that the National body of our union granted approval that the strike should be relaxed in Lagos State.

This gesture was also extended to Kano, Yobe and Niger States.

While awaiting further directive from the National Headquarters, let all Nurses comply with the call to resume duty and render skeletal services.

Emergency services should run for 24hrs.
Other services should be rendered from 8am-4pm.

No nurse should stay at home under the pretence of being on strike unless if on off-duty.

On the perceived mismanagement of the strike by the State leadership of JOHESU.

We shall review the situation and decide on modality for future collaboration after due consultations.

Meanwhile, let me tender apology on behalf of all members of JOHESU in the State.

It has been a good fight and we shall continued to fight for our rights.

Soon, very soon, we shall all see appreciable improvement in our emolument.

We appreciate the public for their understanding and we are assuring you of our readiness to continue rendering best services for the wellbeing of all.

Once again, I thank you for your cooperation.

God bless us all.

Aluta Continua!
Victoria Ascerta!!

Oluritimi Awojide
NANNM Chairman.
Lagos.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by optm(m): 1:07pm On May 20, 2018
fitzfrankses7:
I have keenly watched and read how all of you(JOHESU and NMA alike) keep throwing jabs and curses at each other, arguments and counter-arguments on who is right and who is wrong and being quick to yell "International best practice" only when it suits your individual whims and caprices. In the end you're all just a product of a system that failed to teach intra professional tolerance, respect and work place harmony. It beats my imagination to see Med students been taught NMA/JOHESU rivalry (heck I was unfortunate to have emerged from that system but thank God I shed that skin) same goes for students of other equally important health professions; I was even more shocked when two siblings exchanged fisticuffs because of JOHESU/NMA rilvary.
I've been privileged to practice where the patient is truly king and won't hesitate to sue you for all you're worth for unhealthy workplace rivalry/supremacy; so we really had to be a Team-everyone knowing his job description and never claiming to know all. I've learned to love and respect every health worker in my team, because I need them if I'm to offer my best services and if they have a legitimate demand, I support them and vice versa.
If a Surgeon claims he knows better than a Pharmacist or Physiotherapist then he's mediocre and if a Med Lab Sctst or Nurse assumes he knows better than a Physician knows, he's also mediocre. Acrimony like this even leads to intolerance between Surgeons and Physicians so who's fooling who.
rightly written. i think the primary cause of disharmony in d health sector is EGO exhibited by most meds docs which i think is ingrain in d DNA of a black man as is reflected in oda professions. for instance d army sees d police or civilian as lesser human by virtue of d rigors of their training nd finds it fun to hv dem brutalized (as though dt was wht dey were trained to do) at d slightest provocation . the black man is power crazy nd would go at any length for it and most time abuses it when EGO comes first bfr duty. what was supposedly a GOVT vs JOHESU war has turned into NMA vs JOHESU war due to interference by d NMA. this interference by d NMA in matters of oda health professionals is unhealthy and should b resisted. we are all professionals trained to carry out our various duties hving d patient as d center of our interest. why let EGO come in?. d NMA sees johesu's agitation as striping dem of d power dey hv exercised for so long in d health sector which many a tym hv abused it; using it as a tool in suppressing d growth of other health professionals in order to hv dem under their control. A HEALTH INSTITUTION CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT PATIENTS AND ALL PROFESSIONALS ARE EMPLOYED TO SERVE THE PATIENTS AND NONE IS EMPLOYED TO LORD OVER OTHERS . #We can exist in unity and bcom more productive if we do nt put ego first bfr duty. this applies to evrivoda sector in the country #

3 Likes

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by chuksbogus: 3:05pm On May 20, 2018
A Prof of surgery wrote this

On Doctors, JOHESU, Hospitals (administration, titles & salaries) and the Patients.

What I write here is a brief account of my thoughts.

1. We the doctors have to improve on our human relationship skills. Nothing to do with JOHESU. We relate poorly with ourselves. It took me years to notice this so I was guilty for so long. I cannot say if I am now different but others will judge but I know I have worked very hard on myself.

*We hate the truth especially when we are the slackers and we embrace mediocrity and despise excellence. Yes, you would find diligent doctors producing heartwarming results and the sloppy doctors even unwilling to change. The system supports this.
*check what we do to ourselves when it comes to appointments to posts (legendary) and worse if it is an election
*Why should the Neurosurgeon, Cardiothoracic surgeon, General surgeon and Laboratory Physician or Community health physician earn the same call duty allowances even as doctors? May be there should be a standard call duty allowances and then the quantum of your work or inconvenience on duty should then be calculated further to determine your earnings. Will my colleagues support this? So there would new struggles within.

2. JOHESU May have suffered in the hands of doctors. We despised them, didn't work for their progress until they started having a voice of their own or working for themselves. We resisted the posts of even Assistant Director for Nursing--i saw this as a trainee surgeon in UCH. Now we have Director of Nursing Services. They got these for themselves. How can you be a leader with lack of care for your team members? However, the response from JOHESU has been violent and would be counter-productive in the long haul. May be it is part of negotiation: throw everything in and eventually when the system collapses, you would get something a little more than what you have now. He that is down fears no fall!

*JOHESU has the numbers and more money to get circulars anyhow in a corrupt country. Capitation dues by members staggering. Doctors are fewer, won't pay enough dues etc.

*Respect must be MUTUAL.

*Whether the doctors are good or not, JOHESU thinking that the doctor can be sidelined or rubbished is a suicidal tendency that would bring the house down on everyone. That's where we are now with the current strike.

* A physiotherapist thinking he can function without the neurosurgeon, neurologist or orthotics beats my imagination!

* A Pharmacist or Nurse thinking he can function without the specialist doctors suggests inadequate training (no insults intended).

I have said it too that
*Doctors thinking they can function without the nurse, pharmacist or others is poor, unhelpful or mediocre thinking

3 CMD positions in University Teaching Hospitals. I believe for administrative convenience, a lecturer in a University who is a Honorary Consultant specialist in a University Teaching Hospital has to choose one employer for salaries and wages then he is a staff of the University and he collects allowances in the Hospital where he is labelled no staff. On this account JOHESU says non-staff can not now head the University Teaching Hospital. Who understands the mandate more than a lecturer? I agree you don't have to be a lecturer to understand the mandate but then also you cannot close the door on a lecturer-consultant!

All the arguments of long years in training, go and do JAMB and study medicine, privatise the hospitals (doctors) and we too can cripple services without the doctors or start negotiating how to make degree trainings to be as long as for doctors hence Doctor of Physiothery, Optometry, Doctor of Pharmacy etc are all self-serving.

What's the way forward?
What caused all these?
Where is the PATIENT health and WELLNESS in all these struggles?

The corruption in Government is another issue that makes all these shenanigans possible! Appointments, Discipline, Circulars, discriminatory no work, no pay

These are not questions for one person to answer. I have my idea as but I can be labelled biased because I am a doctor. Suffice it to throw these questions to the public space and hope we shall get some workable, non-emotional or self-serving solutions. We know that these issues are not found in Private Hospitals or outside Nigeria!

Food for thoughts

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by bjay08: 3:24pm On May 20, 2018
aribisala0:

Improve your English

Iive without the government you say, so the doctors should buy everything in the hospital, you think medical equipments are cheap, and the ct scan machines that cost more than 50million too, they should buy the mri too ehn? The radiotherapy machines too, and numerous patient bills the doctor ends up paying, with the money that is supposed to be their take home pay that is still not up to scratch? Its obvious you are envious and wicked. As regards the pinard you keep ramblling about some and most doctors in o and g have the pocket fetal doppler but only few will buy if they run a private practice. And most doctors can use it. So stop repeating pinard like it doesnt work anyway. Thats what your shitty government has provided.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by bjay08: 3:30pm On May 20, 2018
chuksbogus:

On Doctors, JOHESU, Hospitals (administration, titles & salaries) and the Patients.

1. We the doctors have to improve on our human relationship skills. Nothing to do with JOHESU. We relate poorly with ourselves. It took me years to notice this so I was guilty for so long. I cannot say if I am now different but others will judge but I know I have worked very hard on myself.

*We hate the truth especially when we are the slackers and we embrace mediocrity and despise excellence. Yes, you would find diligent doctors producing heartwarming results and the sloppy doctors even unwilling to change. The system supports this.
*check what we do to ourselves when it comes to appointments to posts (legendary) and worse if it is an election
*Why should the Neurosurgeon, Cardiothoracic surgeon, General surgeon and Laboratory Physician or Community health physician earn the same call duty allowances even as doctors? May be there should be a standard call duty allowances and then the quantum of your work or inconvenience on duty should then be calculated further to determine your earnings. Will my colleagues support this? So there would new struggles within.

2. JOHESU May have suffered in the hands of doctors. We despised them, didn't work for their progress until they started having a voice of their own or working for themselves. We resisted the posts of even Assistant Director for Nursing--i saw this as a trainee surgeon in UCH. Now we have Director of Nursing Services. They got these for themselves. How can you be a leader with lack of care for your team members? However, the response from JOHESU has been violent and would be counter-productive in the long haul. May be it is part of negotiation: throw everything in and eventually when the system collapses, you would get something a little more than what you have now. He that is down fears no fall!

*JOHESU has the numbers and more money to get circulars anyhow in a corrupt country. Capitation dues by members staggering. Doctors are fewer, won't pay enough dues etc.

*Respect must be MUTUAL.

*Whether the doctors are good or not, JOHESU thinking that the doctor can be sidelined or rubbished is a suicidal tendency that would bring the house down on everyone. That's where we are now with the current strike.

* A physiotherapist thinking he can function without the neurosurgeon, neurologist or orthotics beats my imagination!

* A Pharmacist or Nurse thinking he can function without the specialist doctors suggests inadequate training (no insults intended).

I have said it too that
*Doctors thinking they can function without the nurse, pharmacist or others is poor, unhelpful or mediocre thinking

3 CMD positions in University Teaching Hospitals. I believe for administrative convenience, a lecturer in a University who is a Honorary Consultant specialist in a University Teaching Hospital has to choose one employer for salaries and wages then he is a staff of the University and he collects allowances in the Hospital where he is labelled no staff. On this account JOHESU says non-staff can not now head the University Teaching Hospital. Who understands the mandate more than a lecturer? I agree you don't have to be a lecturer to understand the mandate but then also you cannot close the door on a lecturer-consultant!

All the arguments of long years in training, go and do JAMB and study medicine, privatise the hospitals (doctors) and we too can cripple services without the doctors or start negotiating how to make degree trainings to be as long as for doctors hence Doctor of Physiothery, Optometry, Doctor of Pharmacy etc are all self-serving.

What's the way forward?
What caused all these?

The corruption in Government is another issue that makes all these shenanigans possible! Appointments, Discipline, Circulars, discriminatory no work, no pay

These are not questions for one person to answer. I have my idea as but I can be labelled biased because I am a doctor. Suffice it to throw these questions to the public space and hope we shall get some workable, non-emotional or self-serving solutions. We know that these issues are not found in Private Hospitals or outside Nigeria!

Food for thoughts
I agree with this completely, the simple truth.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by optm(m): 4:30pm On May 20, 2018
chuksbogus:

*Respect must be MUTUAL.

I have said it too that

What's the way forward?
What caused all these?

Food for thoughts
objective enough. he has an open mind
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by emekatheo: 6:10pm On May 20, 2018
Hmmm!! These same set of nairaland doctors again with these their lies?

Una no dey tire?

Thank God Nigerians and the general public are now asking questions and beginning to know what is happening. Only time will tell.

I tire for una.
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by chuksbogus: 7:21pm On May 20, 2018
At least he know the value of a Nurse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKptt_PEzDs
Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by emekatheo: 10:28am On May 22, 2018
OSAK UWUBANMWEN WROTE

ONE FINAL SOLUTION TO THE INCESSANT MEDICAL HEALTH WORKERS STRIKE IN NIGERIA (LONG POST).
Today I have decided to write on a topic I have avoided for a very long time, the incessant medical health workers strike in Nigeria, and I do this with no apology to anyone but rightfully so. First, as a concerned Nigerian and a trained pharmacist living in Canada, My elder brother is a physician with two fellowships in the United Kingdom. Our last born in my family is an optometrist with a Doctor of Optometry degree (OD) in U.K too, and my spouse is a trained Canadian Nurse with specialty and additional certification in Dialysis. The reason I make this declaration is I come from a medical family with all intent and purpose. We, (my brothers) and I got our medical or healthcare degrees from the University of Benin, and we all went to school almost at the same time close to one another. I can say medicine, pharmacy or optometry are hard degrees to earn, they all are and have their peculiarities and challenges. All medical degrees are hard and this is true. One is not talking about a diploma equivalent, I mean an MBBS,
a B. Pharm, a BSc Nursing and an OD. It will also include a degree in medical laboratory or physiology. In all these courses statistically less than half of the class would graduate and earn the degree. In pharmacy school, about one hundred and forty of us started, and just forty-two of us graduated. Some of my classmates were even asked to withdraw after the fourth year when they would at least be getting a degree in many other faculties. It is wrong for anyone to claim that one medical degree is harder than the other. The city I live, Calgary and a neighboring city Edmonton medicine is a three-year degree course, and you only qualify like pharmacy and dentistry after the first degree, and you can have your first degree in any subject area. I am spending the time to disprove some myths so that people can see where I am coming from. When I took the joint admission and matriculation examinations my first choice was pharmacy, my second choice was pharmacy, and my third choice was pharmacy, but the only difference was I also chose Obafemi Awolowo University Ife and the University of Ibadan as new universities of choice if the University of Benin did not admit me. The head of all medical or clinical works should be a doctor (physician) as the doctor owns the patients this is a universal practice and same in Nigeria and Canada, he takes the final decision with the consent of the patients too. But I have unlimited access to these patients as part of inter-collaborative care and network. The patients also give me consent to have assess to medical information relating their diagnosis, medical history including all medications, test, no matter what was done and requested by the physician be it Laboratory work, MRI, X-ray, Ultrasound I can assess and they know this is in the best interest of the patients. I work with the doctors, nurses, laboratory scientist, chiropractor, physiotherapist, the dieticians, etc. to care for these patients. The doctor cannot question my right to assess these patients, and he cannot prevent it, this is how we work and whatever intervention I need to carry out in the best interest of the patient I must inform the owner of the patient the doctor (physician). There is also an advisory intervention(s) that one can only make through the doctors (physician), These I communicate in clear terms to the lead physician and giving clinical reasons why I think this will be in the best interest of the patient. These are all documented the patients would be informed and the physician consequently written to that effect this is often medication and disease based. The physicians love these collaborations and would have it no other way. They see me as a trusted partner, and the healthcare laws recognize these functions and duties protecting everyone. As an Alberta pharmacist, I can write prescriptions sometimes for minor ailments and sometimes for more complex cases like adding a prescription for a lipid-lowering agent to a patient at risk of cardiovascular complications if diabetes or high-risk cardiovascular patient. I have a LAB ID and can request some laboratory test directly. Some of the minor prescriptions I may write are common antibiotics and sometimes medications for cold sore or eye infections. In Canada like America pharmacy has a residency program to specialize in any area of pharmacy of interest like psychiatry, oncology, cardiovascular, nephrology, radio-nuclear pharmacy, transplant pharmacy or others and after the four to six years they become a consultant pharmacist. Many pharmacists run clinics with their physicians who are very busy, most of the prescriptions I see from the anticoagulation clinics are from pharmacists written on behalf of the lead physician who is the head of the team. Pharmacists or nurse clinicians are running many diabetes clinics on behalf of the lead physician who now has time to attend to more complex clinical and complicated medical problems. All these are within the Canadian healthcare setting in my province Alberta. All residents in training in any institution or hospital settings are trained by clinical staff be they physicians, pharmacist or nurses. A sad event I was informed recently was the physicians in a university teaching hospital in Nigeria refused the Doctor of Pharmacy students assess to their patients and thus the ward, sad can only happen in Nigeria. A hospital headed by a physician released a circular to this effect to truncate the Doctor of Pharmacy degree program rotation, sad again. Remember that a poorly trained member of the healthcare team under any specialization becomes a clinical burden to you as head and lead clinician and your citizens. The physician is the head and the others are the neck and body just like any good marriage neither can function well without the other. In the University of Benin pharmacology department is under the school of pharmacy and rightfully so and some of the lecturers are not even pharmacists but pharmacology experts. How would you feel if the pharmacology department under the pharmacy school refused to train the MBBS students or would be graduates in pharmacology a precondition required for an MBBS graduation? The problem of health aggregation and turbulence was created by Professor Ransom Kuti of blessed memory under Babangida regime based on the brain drain of Nigerian trained physicians to Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, and United States of America etc. but the truth is all healthcare professions in Nigeria is adversely affected by this syndrome. In my class of forty-two graduates over twenty of us are overseas, there are over ten thousand Nigerian pharmacist graduates of Nigeria practicing outside Nigeria, know that there used to be only six pharmacy schools in Nigeria. The nurses are worse off there are more than fifty thousand Nigerian nurses outside Nigeria. In fact, many nurses in psychiatry in Nigeria just use the institutions as a training ground before they move to Australia and United States of America. So, what is the solution let these specializations, all healthcare workers come together and fight the common enemy the government in their divide and rule game? If they come together government would be forced to run health as it is supposed to as done in many countries like even Rwanda. Let each and everyone go negotiate what they think they deserve and none should interfere with another. If you are talking of no parity is that before 1984 of Ransom Kuti or after, please go back and see what was before Ransom Kuti. Since Ransom Kuti left there has not be any peace in our healthcare system. In football a striker can earn more than the team coach based on perceived productivity, wages or salaries should be individualized a transplant or neurosurgeon is the highest earning medical professional I know and not the medical director or clinical director. Today it is ARD, next it is NMA and then JOHESU all strike, strike and, strike. The Nigerian government hospitals operate only six months a year and that has been the case in the last ten years or more. The question is a doctor that graduated ten years ago should earn more than a pharmacist or nurse agreed but should a doctor that graduated ten years ago earn more than a pharmacist or nurse of twenty-five years in the hospital one a consultant and the other a director of nursing or pharmacy services. The position of medical director and head of clinical services should be occupied by doctors yes. However, the head of the hospital should be called Head Hospital Administrator that everyone including the chief medical director will report and answer to too. The Head Hospital administrator different from the head of administration as it is now should be one that specialized in hospital administration with a Ph.D. He or She will work to create a conducive environment for all to function and thrive optimally. At the start of the year, he would ask all that they need, the medical director, the head of the pharmacy, head of nursing, the head of the laboratory, the head of the laundry the head of catering, and others what would they need, and the Head Hospital administrator would put a budget for everything and everyone including quality food served to all worker on call be they physician, pharmacist nurse or laboratory scientist. The opinion that the medical director should be a doctor yes but be dealing with medical and clinical issues only, not funds, money or budget execution. The focus should be on quality delivery like we want a new theatre for renal and liver transplant and the Head Hospital administrator will go raise the fund from government and private sector to provide one. We need that number of a new oncologist or transplant surgeon and the Head Hospital administration go around through a medical recruitment agency to get them the best, only the best. We need support for residency for resident doctors and pharmacists in training and the head hospital administrator gets the budget form them and link with people all over the world to provide quality resources persons. Finally, the minister of health can be anyone that understands how health care works not necessary a physician as this is more a political position and for party members look at the developed countries and tell us how many physicians there are as minister of health? Very few if any, we need their clinical skills in the hospitals and research and not being a political minister. I have seen many good hospitals rise to the occasion headed by a physician and have also seen many hospitals ruined by a physician as head too, so, the fact that a physician is the head of the hospital in real Nigerian terms means nothing and can only be one way to self-preserve and cause accretion in these facilities. Last year Nigerians spent about one billion dollars on medical tourism and going by these facts as soon as Togo, Benin, Niger, and Ghana get their acts together there may be no need for medical or healthcare workers in Nigeria, this may be exaggerated but a set reality. Today it is India, and as soon as it is near home, people will go across for a holiday and get the world-class treatment they may need and can afford. Wake up Nigeria, and Shalom.

1 Like

Re: NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU by Devlinn: 11:49am On May 22, 2018
Oya, e don do! Make una dash everybody for hospital 'doctor' and 'Consultant' so that we go hear word abeg. This zoo we call Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

4 Sure Fire Ways To Get Rid Of Mouth Odour / All You Need To Know About Using Maggots In Healing Wounds (PHOTOS) / Policeman Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Lagos, Sneaks Into Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.