Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) (9874 Views)

About Relocating To Nigeria From The United States / Ican Private Lecture In Lagos. / Medical Doctor Relocating To Nigeria Needs Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 25, 2010

1 Like

Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by sexxxxy(f): 11:01am On May 26, 2010
danwilliams111:

HELLO Devonian:

Listen to what everyone on this blog is telling you. No information is useless. Suggesting that you need advice from from "professionals only" is ignorance and arrogance. Try as much as possible to get as much information as possible from everybody here. As I said "NO INFORMATION USELESS."

HERE IS MY STORY: I will make it short. I had my high honour bachelor degree in one of the best (in Africa) universities in western Nigeria. Due to hardship, I immigrated to the US. I worked hard, earned graduate degrees and fellowships from a US top university (globally known and respected). I had the desire to go back home to contribute and to be with my loved ones (extended family). They also urged me to come back and settle that everything will be fine. Last year, I took an unpaid leave from my job and traveled to Nigeria with my credentials (degrees and scholarly publications, etc). When I arrive, There were scheduled meetings the Dean of the Faculty to discuss my credentials and hiring. All the scheduled failed because the Dean canceled all planned meeting (for some unforeseen circumstances). Now, a lecturer I met at the faculty advised me to contact the Vice Chancellor  V.C. (Head of the University). The lecture believes that with my OUTSTANDING qualifications the V.C. would intervene. However, nothing happened. The V.C. office cancelled my two sheduled meetings with the VC. THIS IS VERY SAD. NOT FOR ME. THIS IS VERY SAD FOR NIGERIA AND AFRICA. AFRICAN TALENTS ARE HELPING IN ADVANCING THE DEVELOPED WORLD.

I returned to U.S. continue with my old job. Making my dollars and living out my American Dream. 
THANK YOU JESUS
GOD BLESS AMERICA

IN USA - life is hard. But if you work hard, you will succeed. While there is always racial discrimination, Employers are looking to employ hard working and dedicated people. Therefore, if you are qualified, and show you are a dedicated individual you will be hired.

GOD BLESS AMERICA. I don't feel homesick any more. I call my loved ones regularly, and have easy access to buy and eat Nigeria food.

IS AFRICA CURSED.

As i was reading your post,i was expecting to read that something major happened ,like for example,u got the job and they didnt pay u for a yr or the students raided your apertment and made away wit everything,  or something outrageous like that,

so u returned back and concluded naija is a sad ,cos ur appointments were cancelled?did u try to apply to other universities?n i take it u've never had a cancelled appointment in U.S?

let me understand this, , your intention was to contribute to the advancement of naija, without breaking a sweat?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by AjanleKoko: 11:03am On May 26, 2010
^^
LOL. Reality check, huh?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by felifeli: 11:53am On May 26, 2010
violent:

You haven't really exercise any bit of wisdom in your response!

. . .Comparing the previous responses with yours, wouldn't you consider it ironical that the same group of people you labelled as dimwits, good for nothing, loafers and sundry lunatics seem to have given advise that beats yours by a million light years?

I guess it's just a case of an ídiot calling the wise foolish.

The Poster asked for advise on relocating to Nigeria, and you are here spitting trash about his credit situation in the UK, advising him to become a cloth or car merchant, for goodness sake, do you have a problem understanding even the simplest things?

On a normal day, i would've simply ignored your senseless rantings and take you for a drunk until i read the last bit of your gabbage where you advised Poster not to live in lagos cos in your own words[i] "the place is not fit fot human beings"[/i]. . . .you gotta be on drugs!. . . definitely on cheap drugs

[clap]  [clap]  [clap]  [clap]
That was a marvelously chivalrous post. I presume that you speak for all the teenagers, loafers, dimwits and sundry lunatics and arseholes  on Nairaland.
Very touching post. Remain blessed by your name. grin
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by AjanleKoko: 12:21pm On May 26, 2010
^^ (and violent)
This is the Career board. No inappropriate language is necessary here.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Superbrain(m): 1:08pm On May 26, 2010
(Knocks) Can I come in? (Waiting for Devonian's response, can't wait anymore)

Very interesting topic with many hilarious responses.

@ Devonian, Listen to the advice of many who believe you should stay back in the UK. From your initial post and other replies, you strike me as an arrogant fellow. That would not get you anywhere in Nigeria especially in the educational sector. So, my advice to you is to stay in the UK and have a successful career. When you retire, you can come back home to “rest”.

To even think of the fact that you don’t intend to go into business of any sort is funny. In Nigeria, if you are not a politician, a business-man, or a professional in a multi-national coy, then be prepared for the worst. Like someone rightly said, many young graduates working in multi-national coys earn more than even vice-chancellors of varsities. So if you’re not prepared for the worst of living conditions, stay back or better still, consider other places like North America.

In dealing with competition in ecological systems, there is reference to survival of the fittest. This is dependent on the type of environment. I think you should ask yourself the big question.

Am I psychologically, financially and emotionally ready for life in Nigeria?

@ Felifeli, It’s quite obvious you do not know Lagos very well. You sound like a teenager. I quote -”DO NOT LIVE IN LAGOS. That place is not fit for human beings and you will be dead in two years”. When last did you visit Lagos? Do you know how many foreign nationals live in Lagos permanently? The conditions may not be the best but it is not as bad as you claim. You may be speaking from experience but in what part of Lagos have you stayed?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by davidif: 2:19pm On May 26, 2010
POSTER,
Did oga Gordon "british jobs for british-people" Brown send you packing back to naija?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by danwilliams111: 3:53pm On May 26, 2010
TO SEEEEEXY

You said:

"As i was reading your post,i was expecting to read that something major happened ,like for example,u got the job and they didnt pay u for a yr or the students raided your apertment and made away wit everything, or something outrageous like that,

so u returned back and concluded naija is a sad ,cos your appointments were cancelled?did u try to apply to other universities?n i take it u've never had a cancelled appointment in U.S?

let me understand this, , your intention was to contribute to the advancement of naija, without breaking a sweat?"

MY RESPONSE TO YOU:

1. I SENT SEVERAL APPLICATIONS TO VARIOUS UNIVERSITIES WHILE IN U.S.A. and never received a reply.

2. SPENT THREE MONTHS IN NIGERIA - RUNNING AROUND TO MAKE CONTACTS AND NETWORKING. SPENT SEVERAL THOUSANDS RUNNING AROUND IN NINJA.

3. MEANWHILE MY BILLS IN U.S.A. WERE PILING UP.

4. IN EVERY TEN APPLICATIONS I SEND OUT IN U.S.A. - I RECEIVE AT LEAST 4 INTERVIEWS AND AND AT LEAST ONE JOB OFFER.

5. VALUES IN NIGERIA ARE MISPLACED.

6. GOD HAS HELPED ME - GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO DEVELOP MY TALENT AND ALSO USE - IT IS A BLESSING TO HAVE TALENT AND USE IT - BE PAID BE PAID FOR IT - AND BE RESPECTED FOR IT. IN NIGERIA MOST PEOPLE DISREGARD YOUR TALENTS - THEY WANT YOU TO SHOW THEM MONEY.

7. THANK YOU JESUS. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by joshO: 5:09pm On May 26, 2010
There's this thing I sense with Nigerians looking to relocate, or have tried it at some point. Passive arrogance, ignorance or both. Best schools in US, top 25 this and that. Listen folks - I'll offer this advice for free - you'll find you have near-ZERO arbitrage i.e. very little advantage in Nigeria. Whatever talent you possess is likely to already exist in abundance - or will simply have very little real local value otherwise.

Set your  expectations low, while hoping for the best.  Be prepared to SWEAT bucket loads  and expect a rude 'cultural shock' as habits in Nigeria will be alien if you've been away for a while. Make sure you have sufficient savings to meet your responsibilities @ home and abroad (to cover an approximate period of 1 year with no earnings). And for those looking to setup ventures, avoid going stright into business or you stand a 95.6% of getting burnt!. Dishonesty is the prevailing franchise and integrity an extremely rare currency in Nigeria.

This may not be directly relevant to @poster, but just thought it'll help with expectation setting.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by folankiru: 8:48pm On May 26, 2010
@joshO

JoshO - You are foolish and ignorant to ignore the hard work of some Nigerians in abroad. You belittle their achievements as “near-ZERO arbitrage.” You know quite well that corruption and “Dishonesty is the prevailing franchise and integrity an extremely rare currency in Nigeria.”

You want them to “set their expectations low and be prepared to SWEAT buckets loads and expect a rude cultural shock as habits in Nigeria will be alien to them…”

You are stupid to think that some of these guys did not sweat bucket loads while in Nigeria before their mother luck smiled on them and they escaped the hardship in Nigeria.

Nigeria is a mess and will remain a mess – people like you belittle others achievement and hardwork – calling them passive arrogance.

People like you make Nigeria what it is today – Stay and enjoy it - fool.

Nigeria is One of the most corrupt nations in the universe. There are funds yet no infrastructure: jobs, water, electricity, unpaid salaries, etc.

Hey, I live here in Ninja and three years after my NYSC – I’m still unemployed and you will want me to stay in Nigeria if I have the choice to travel out and live a quality life that God intends for every Nigerian.

NIGERIANS ARE THE CURSE ON NIGERIA
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by EreluY(f): 10:36pm On May 26, 2010
Devonian: The responses on this thread exemplify, very strongly, the plethora of attitudes you would encounter not only in the Nigerian university setting, but also in the wider Nigerian society. Are you really sure you’re emotionally and psychologically prepared for this? How a post which seeks the opinion of people in the same or allied field translates into the accusation of ‘pride,’ ‘arrogance,’ ‘pompousness,’ etc, to use some of the nomenclatures here, is beyond me. For sure, I wouldn’t be seeking advice from, or services of, immigration lawyers/solicitors on matters relating to conveyancing, despite the fact that immigration and conveyancing solicitors are all solicitors.

This thread brings to the fore the fact that it’s only in Nigeria where everyone claims to know everything, rubbishing the experts. It’s only in Nigeria that one and the same lawyer/solicitor (not group/chamber of solicitors with different expertise) will be willing (even if not competent) to deal with all matters—criminal law, corporate business law, immigration law, property law, maritime law, human rights law, international law. Haba! Jack of all trade, master of none! This matter reminds me of a Nigerain medical doctor, currently suspended by the Medical Council. An acquaintance complained of certain medical problems. Rather than refer him to his GP, this doctor, without realizing this guy had underlying medical problems prescribed him some medication which the guy got through an African store clandestinely selling medications. Few days later complications emerged and this guy had to be rushed to the hospital. One thing led to the other, and the Doctor was right at the centre of it all. As I’ve said before, he’s under suspension. What ‘am I saying here? Even if a matter falls within the remit of one’s field of endeavour one still need to exercise caution. But that’s not part of us Nigerians. We want to always create the impression that we know it all! Huh?

Devonian: Whilst realizing the importance of wanting to put something back into the Nigerian society, PLEASE, PLEASE, & PLEASE, do it in another way and completely forget about returning to Nigeria to go and lecture. Instead, I suggest what I do in my own field – Finance with the Nigerian university where I completed my BSc degree.

• Personally link up with a university department in your subject area.

• Start by donating books and journals (if you can), so that those over there can catch up with the latest developments and research findings in your field of study.

• Use your links here to bring over for seminars and conferences, long standing lecturers in that link university department. These should be people who can’t go underground once they’re here because they’re looking forward to headships, deanships, professorships, gratuities and pensions and can’t forgo these by simply going underground and not returning to Nigeria.

• Encourage conference attendees to put into practice what they’ve learned at such conferences and seminars, by arranging similar conference at home to continue the debates at UK EU conferences.

• Arrange with some of those whom you have helped to attend conferences to appoint you as a Visiting Honorary Fellow. By arrangement (which could, for example, coincide with your UK holidays and study leave, etc), visit the Nigerian University and conduct seminars and lectures, inspiring those who would wish to be inspired. I bet you, students and lecturers back home would befriend you for various, obvious reasons.

In these ways, and so many others, you’ll contribute your quota to Nigeria’s educational development in your field without the prospect of ferocious hounds, hacking you to an untimely death. If you want us to discuss personally, via email, do let me know, and I’ll let you have my email. If you’re in the London area, I’m part of a think-tank group meeting regularly to deliberate on how those who’re willing to help move things forward in Nigeria in little, little ways! You can also be invited to attend, and you’ll be able to meet some like minded people, some of them the age of my dad. cool
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Wallie(m): 10:41pm On May 26, 2010
@ OP--- going off topic

Can people express their dissatisfaction/disagreement without hauling insults at the other party? I can understand posting a sarcastic response but verbally assaulting people because you disagree with them? Oga o! I understand that the anonymous nature of a forum allows for e-thugs that will probably call you sir/madam/oga to your face but, at the very least, lets show a little restraint (but who am I to complain!).
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by AjanleKoko: 12:27am On May 27, 2010
^^actually it has been quite entertaining reading wink

1 Like

Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Wallie(m): 12:34am On May 27, 2010
What's missing is an emoticon of someone sitting back at eating popcorn but I guess this shocked will have to do!
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Meddler(f): 1:04am On May 27, 2010
Hahahahahaha shocked and i'm eating my popcorn and enjoying the show
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by olaolabiy: 1:06am On May 27, 2010
wallie and erelu,
what really do you expect people to say regarding this very arrogant poster? he is simply daft. professor of african studies (black studies).
no hustlers wanted yet he wants to go back and lecture in universities owned by professional hustlers. or what do you call atiku and igbinedion? then, who is the REAL hustler? mr devonian, of course.

got my point?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Nobody: 5:31am On May 27, 2010
Wallie:

@ OP--- going off topic

Can people express their dissatisfaction/disagreement without hauling insults at the other party? I can understand posting a sarcastic response but verbally assaulting people because you disagree with them? Oga o! I understand that the anonymous nature of a forum allows for e-thugs that will probably call you sir/madam/oga to your face but, at the very least, lets show a little restraint (but who am I to complain!).

most nigerians - (or at least the one's on NL) are not sophisticated enough for sarcasm/subtle insults

then again, maybe they're teeny boppers - i have observed thats its mainly kids who respond with insults etal in other forums i frequent.

the forums that are 100% adults/professionals people get into it, alright, but with decorum
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by EreluY(f): 10:54am On May 27, 2010
@ Ola Olabiy: You know what: there is absolutely nothing arrogant about the OP. Instead, this thread has been sentimentally derailed by people angered by the OP’s exclusion of hustlers. If the guy wanted people who had trod the path he’s about to thread to counsel him what’s the crime in it? Can someone give what they don’t have? Let me hypothetically put the OP’s request in another way!  “Hi Guys my name is John. I’m a medical doctor in Nigeria, and wishing to relocate to the UK to continue working as a medical doctor. I realise I need to take the PLAB exams, etc, etc. I want medical doctors who have gone through these to please advise me on how to go about things and what problems to avoid. I only want UK practising medical doctors to respond. If you do not fall into this category please don’t bother.” Where is the arrogance, pride, pompousness in this? This is why, in my last posting on this thread, I went, at great length, to exemplify why I think the OP isn’t arrogant.

What we’re dealing with here on NL is lack of comprehension and dearth of communication skills. This is one of the reasons people failed WASC/GCE English Language of those days (don’t get me started on what they call NECO these days): poor performance in the COMPREHENSION bit of the English Language paper. People simply drew wrong inferences from what’s been clearly and categorically stated. Gbosa, they failed, REPEATEDLY! Of course, these days, some people (clearly not all) simply pay mercenaries to succeed in their exams as one thread on TOEFL/IELTS shows.
olas2u:
Depending on where you are doing it machinery they operate,you go first go sidon,then the computer will take you photo ,but another person thats as being doing it for long answers all questions in few mins,that is compter base,and paper base same.But computer base nepa they take light o,so you have to go to a standard place with gen .
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-448270.0.html What hapens to these sort of people, in real life, e.g. on NL, they wouldn’t but fail to deal with simple communication.

One further point of correction: it is absolute ignorance and lack of self identity, on your part, repeatedly on this same thread, to derogatively make reference to Professorships in african (sic, should have been African) studies (black studies) (Did you pass your WASC/GCE English Language or you’re of the NECO generation). You’ll certainly feel lot better if s/he were to be a Professor of European Studies, wouldn’t you? I bet you’re, as ever, deluded about your own Africanness. Otherwise, not the perfect choice of field, Ola Olabiy, and none at that to want to belittle someone. Yes there are African and African-American (as well as European) Professors of African Studies who, for posterity, have been doing and continuing to do incredible, legendary jobs in putting aright the Eurocentric accounts of Africa: its people, religions, culture, traditions, customs and institutions; and who, of course, are legally making their 6 figure bucks in £££ and $$$. What’s your problem with that? I am an Africanist to the core, have you noticed my username? If Devonian were to be a Professor of African Studies, his contributions toward sensitizing fellow Nigerians about our African heritage, history, future prospects, etc, etc, is a very much welcome gesture.

If you must respond to the foregoing, go back to the OP, using his/her precise words, exemplify and illustrate what makes him/her arrogant. Also, intelligently, coherently and logically explain to the whole world what is wrong with being a Professor of African Studies (which, by the way, the OP didn’t claim to be). If not, FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE! And, realizing, you’re such a minuscule thinker, I have no further time for you (and your cohorts angered by the 'hustler sentiments') on this very matter!
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by olaolabiy: 12:12pm On May 27, 2010
Erelu_Y:

@ Ola Olabiy: You know what: there is absolutely nothing arrogant about the OP. Instead, this thread has been sentimentally derailed by people angered by the OP’s exclusion of hustlers. If the guy wanted people who had trod the path he’s about to thread to counsel him what’s the crime in it? Can someone give what they don’t have? Let me hypothetically put the OP’s request in another way!  “Hi Guys my name is John. I’m a medical doctor in Nigeria, and wishing to relocate to the UK to continue working as a medical doctor. I realise I need to take the PLAB exams, etc, etc. I want medical doctors who have gone through these to please advise me on how to go about things and what problems to avoid. I only want UK practising medical doctors to respond. If you do not fall into this category please don’t bother.” Where is the arrogance, pride, pompousness in this? This is why, in my last posting on this thread, I went, at great length, to exemplify why I think the OP isn’t arrogant.

What we’re dealing with here on NL is lack of comprehension and dearth of communication skills. This is one of the reasons people failed WASC/GCE English Language of those days (don’t get me started on what they call NECO these days): poor performance in the COMPREHENSION bit of the English Language paper. People simply drew wrong inferences from what’s been clearly and categorically stated. Gbosa, they failed, REPEATEDLY! Of course, these days, some people (clearly not all) simply pay mercenaries to succeed in their exams as one thread on TOEFL/IELTS shows. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-448270.0.html What hapens to these sort of people, in real life, e.g. on NL, they wouldn’t but fail to deal with simple communication.

One further point of correction: it is absolute ignorance and lack of self identity, on your part, repeatedly on this same thread, to derogatively make reference to Professorships in african (sic, should have been African) studies (black studies) (Did you pass your WASC/GCE English Language or you’re of the NECO generation). You’ll certainly feel lot better if s/he were to be a Professor of European Studies, wouldn’t you? I bet you’re, as ever, deluded about your own Africanness. Otherwise, not the perfect choice of field, Ola Olabiy, and none at that to want to belittle someone. Yes there are African and African-American (as well as European) Professors of African Studies who, for posterity, have been doing and continuing to do incredible, legendary jobs in putting aright the Eurocentric accounts of Africa: its people, religions, culture, traditions, customs and institutions; and who, of course, are legally making their 6 figure bucks in £££ and $$$. What’s your problem with that? I am an Africanist to the core, have you noticed my username? If Devonian were to be a Professor of African Studies, his contributions toward sensitizing fellow Nigerians about our African heritage, history, future prospects, etc, etc, is a very much welcome gesture.

If you must respond to the foregoing, go back to the OP, using his/her precise words, exemplify and illustrate what makes him/her arrogant. Also, intelligently, coherently and logically explain to the whole world what is wrong with being a Professor of African Studies (which, by the way, the OP didn’t claim to be). If not, FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE! And, realizing, you’re such a minuscule thinker, I have no further time for you (and your cohorts angered by the 'hustler sentiments') on this very matter!

erelu, where do i start with you? so my use of capital/small letters bothered you. i clearly didn't bother to do so. but, this is rich from you. this from somebody who wrote 'If the guy wanted people who had trod the path he’s about to thread to counsel him what’s the crime in it?'
you used 'trod'--past tense and past participle of 'tread', so your next word to complement that should have been 'tread' and not 'thread'. at least as a rule of conformity.
you sounded like a twit so i don't really have your time. are you into african studies as well?

this is another mistake from you :'their 6 figure bucks in £££ and $$$.'. i won't tell you what's wrong with that one.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by olaolabiy: 12:32pm On May 27, 2010
and erelu,
in your own version of his post, you didn't call anyone a hustler. you just asked for medical doctors. he should have done exactly that and not belittle anyone. this is about respect for fellow nairalanders. maybe you should search for the meaning of the word 'hustler', especially, in the context of his post.
ok?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by OLULAW: 12:56pm On May 27, 2010
@ ola olabiy: What's your point about "people who had trod the path he’s about to thread"? Are you saying this is grammatically wrong? Are you also claiming it's wrong to say "6-figure bucks". See me see wahala for NL OOOOO. So you wanted him/her to say 6-figures bucks?  Erelu is right, this is the mercenaries/NECO generation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 27, 2010
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by AjanleKoko: 1:29pm On May 27, 2010
After all said and done, has anybody actually moved from a UK university to a Nigerian university, and has useful advice for the original poster?
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by joshO: 1:36pm On May 27, 2010

JoshO -  You are foolish and ignorant to ignore the hard work of some Nigerians in abroad. You belittle their achievements as “near-ZERO arbitrage.” You know quite well that corruption and “Dishonesty is the prevailing franchise and integrity an extremely rare currency in Nigeria.”

Mr job hunter, don't you think the insults are unnecessary and childish?  I'm tempted to dig into you but won't as that would be beneath me. I realize though, that you're morally challenged - a poor product of a failing social and educational system. . You have demonstrated a lack of comprehension and an incapacity for deductive reasoning at any depth. So I'll simply let you be.

You want them to “set their expectations low and be prepared to SWEAT buckets loads and expect a rude cultural shock as habits in Nigeria will be alien to them…”

Ok, do this research - find a number of people who have  relocated to Nigeria after living / working in the West for considerable periods. Ask if their re-assimilation into the Nigerian culture / ethic was seamless. By your own reasoning, because we made sacrifices many years back (probarbly decades ago), we will now land on a platter of gold bars! No need to break a sweat! You need to elevate your thinking  dude. Reason of this kind is clearly without basis and reflects your extreme poverty of mind!.

You are silly to think that some of these guys did not sweat bucket loads while in Nigeria before their mother luck smiled on them and they escaped the hardship in Nigeria.

Here we go again,  the response of choice for the intellectually lazy, mentally frail and educationally unsound mind. Find out why so many people who ealier relocated to Nigeria packed up and left after a few years. May help you put my "Managing Expectations" comment into perspective, mr job hunter. In any case, it's important you read comments carefully, descern and reflect before engaging those fingers - before brain.

People like you make Nigeria what it is today – Stay and enjoy it  - fool.

Mr job hunter, if you took time to check my profile, you'd have sensed I'm not based in
Nigeria. However tempting it may be, I will not put up my credentials here for you to marvel at even though I realize it may be of inmense  inspirational value to you. Puting it simply, I'm at a place that you'll likely find difficult to comprehend.  I'll simply leave you to crawl back into the dark hole from which you emerged for some quiet introspection.

Nigeria is One of the most corrupt nations in the universe. There are funds yet no infrastructure: jobs, water, electricity, unpaid salaries, etc.

And your point being? Can't see any direct relevance to my comments - but hey - it's mr intellectually constrained here - so carry on.

Hey, I live here in Ninja and three years after my NYSC – I’m still unemployed and you will want me to stay in Nigeria if I have the choice to travel out and live a quality life that God intends for every Nigerian.

I see the reason behind your bitterness, and must say I commiserate with you. Can't be easy being unemployed in a place like Nigeria for so long.  But wait a minute! You've been unemployed for 3 years but somehow think the streets are paved with gold for returning Nigerians? They can expect pure gold on their return because they broke sweat before leaving Nigeria?. Dude, get real. I won't even respond to this droddle. No point, as basic comprehension is beyond your intellectual grade,  However, I'll like to comment on the point you made about traveling abroad. Please note that at no point did I suggest you, mr job hunter, should remain in Nigeria. That you failed to understand anything in my post is now beyond doubt. As a matter of fact, if you're finding visas to a Western country hard to come by as your post suggests, I strongly implore you to try Afganistan, Iraq, or even Sudan. Visas to those countries may be considerably easier to obtain. I'll then keenly anticipate your return in a few years to streets paved with gold and opportunities lined up for special you - the returning diasporian - without the need to break a single sweat!
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by AjanleKoko: 1:45pm On May 27, 2010
^^
When it comes to insults, I must say, we spare no verbal expense. Wow.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by yodiyokun(f): 5:47pm On May 27, 2010
Nigerians - we are always at war with one another.

We are inherently hustlers and extremely competitive, we always want to be right even when we don't have a clue!.

When will we learn.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by olaolabiy: 11:41pm On May 27, 2010
chaircover:

Unfortunately the thread has been derailed and even though the initial poster is not entirely innocent in the matter with his choice of words, It is a shame that the benefit of having a meaningful discussion on such a serious topic is not being achieved.

It seems the word hustler offended a number of people (the meaning of hustler is displayed below), however moving forward, the poster may want to in future choose words carefully and not to discredit anyone’s information/advice etc until he has heard it.

Nairaland is full of all sorts, and if one is able to take time to sift through set apart the wheat from the chaff, there is a hell of a lot of good relevant and helpful information to garner from this site.

The meaning of Hustler;

1. an enterprising person determined to succeed; go-getter.

2. Slang. a person who employs fraudulent or unscrupulous methods to obtain money; swindler.

3. Informal. an expert gambler or game player who seeks out challengers, esp. unsuspecting amateur ones, in order to win money from them: He earned his living as a pool hustler.

4. Slang. a love-peddler.

yeah, it could mean something good as well. it all depends on its usage. that's why i said 'in the context of his post'.

OLULAW:

@ ola olabiy: What's your point about "people who had trod the path he’s about to thread"? Are you saying this is grammatically wrong? Are you also claiming it's wrong to say "6-figure bucks". See me see wahala for NL OOOOO. So you wanted him/her to say 6-figures bucks?  Erelu is right, this is the mercenaries/NECO generation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO.
olulaw,
you are an irredeemable spin doctor. so, why did you include hyphen (-)  in your own version of '6 figure bucks'? did you lift that from his post? mr blatant liar. you only showcased what is wrong with your warped psyche.

AjanleKoko:

^^
When it comes to insults, I must say, we spare no verbal expense. Wow.

ajanlekoko,
i am sure you're taken aback as well by the way the poster worded his post.
but, i am sorry if i annoyed anybody who studied or is studying african studies.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Wilife: 1:22am On May 30, 2010
Ok,

This thread is indeed truly funny not with the hilarious posts by Nairalanders,

Anyway, let me share with you my personal experience.

Left for the States and came back about 4 years later.

Spent 3 months so far and I must say it's been a world of intrigues!

Headhunted and relocated to Naija by 1 of the oil and gas multi-nationals,

My thoughts,

1) If you have money, u will really enjoy this country,

2) Lower your expectations to the barest minimum and make up ur mind to succeed. Look at it this way…if you didn't travel out in the first place, u would have remained in this country and succeeded no doubt!

3) Drop every toga of 'I just came back from abroad' and behave like a Nigerian that you are,
No disrespect, if foreigners can live and do business here, nothing stops u from living and thriving in ur fatherland.

4) Respect everyone u meet and greet them dutifully. That gateman may become ur saviour tomorrow,
5) Make sure have a solid offer before heading this way…A lot of nairalanders can actually set u up well with the right contacts in the education field.

Above all, ask God for guidance and be sure u are moving back for the right motive
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by netotse(m): 1:24pm On May 30, 2010
Wilife:

Ok,

My thoughts,

2) Lower your expectations to the barest minimum and make up your mind to succeed. Look at it this way…if you didn't travel out in the first place, u would have remained in this country and succeeded no doubt!

3) Drop every toga of 'I just came back from abroad' and behave like a Nigerian that you are,
No disrespect, if foreigners can live and do business here, nothing stops u from living and thriving in your fatherland.

4) Respect everyone u meet and greet them dutifully. That gateman may become your saviour tomorrow,
5) Make sure have a solid offer before heading this way…A lot of nairalanders can actually set u up well with the right contacts in the education field.

Above all, ask God for guidance and be sure u are moving back for the right motive

this post suffers from 'too much sense. . .', couldn't have said it better!
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Superbrain(m): 1:35pm On May 30, 2010
@ netotse, seconded!
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Meddler(f): 3:18pm On May 30, 2010
Wilife:

Ok,

My thoughts,

2) Lower your expectations to the barest minimum and make up your mind to succeed. Look at it this way…if you didn't travel out in the first place, u would have remained in this country and succeeded no doubt!

No disrespect, if foreigners can live and do business here, nothing stops u from living and thriving in your fatherland.

4) Respect everyone u meet and greet them dutifully. That gateman may become your saviour tomorrow,

You have offered the best piece of advice here. Thanks alot this will surely assist me in my move. Are u in abuja or Lagos if you don't mind me asking.
Re: Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) by Avenir(m): 6:29pm On May 30, 2010
Wilife:

Ok,

My thoughts,

This is spot on! A big gbosa for you!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tax Experts, How Much Is He Supposed To Receive At The End Of The Month? / New Procedure For ICAN Induction: TCI Lectures & Exam / How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.