Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" (12561 Views)

3 Times Davido Ditched Afropop And Afrobeats / 10 Iconic Rappers That Have Never Won A Grammy Award / Davido, Wizkid Or Olamide, Which Of These Artistes Can Fill Up Wembley Stadium? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Towncrier247: 6:46pm On May 16, 2018
Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy - High-life Singer, De-code

The recent statement by HipTV boss, Ayo Animashaun, that the Grammy Awards is not for Nigerians, has continue to generate reactions from different quarters.

Also reacting to the statement is Nigerian High-Life singer Kingsley C. Egwu popularly known as De-Code.

According to De-Code who spoke to with the press in Lagos, musicians winning the Grammies in Africa are musically not the mate of many of the young artistes clamouring for the awards in the country recently.

De-Code stated that the musicians who can can dream of being nominated are the artistes whose music are more traditional and original.

"I just laugh at many Afropop artistes saying that they want to win the Grammy. Is it with the type of music many Nigerian artistes are singing now? I agree with Ayo Animashaun,Grammy is not for Nigerians. And i will explain further. First let me encourage all Nigerian artistes to sell their culture through music. You can't sell ice to the Eskimos; the only thing we can genuinely own and sell which the outside world will easily buy is our uniqueness, rather than trying to be like them. Many reigning Nigerian artistes today still try to sound like Drake, Chris Brown or Migos. Winning an award like the Grammy is not even by hanging out with American stars, featuring [b]them or they knowing you. It’s more about the unique thing you bring to the music table. You don't expect the organizers to put an R&B artiste from Africa on the nominees categories with real Americans, not to talk of that artiste winning when too many brilliant artistes in America don't have a nomination let alone win; just like you don't expect Ayo Animashaun to add Drake and Beyonce to the Best Rap and Best R&B categories in the Headies Awards respectively. Perhaps, it’s easy to be linked to the Grammy somehow if a foreign artiste features you and the song wins a Grammy, but we are talking about you owning one yourself", [/b]De-Code explains.

De-Code explains further; "You would realize that the African musicians who have either won or nominated in the past such as Angelique Kidjo, King Sunny Ade, Femi Kuti, Ladysmith Black Mambazo,  Ali Farka Touré, Soweto Mass Choir, Youssou N’dour, Owuor Arunga and many more are not “commercial” artistes. Their music even sound like folklore and many of these musicians have won multiple times. They are not the mate of anyone of the currently reigning crop of Nigerian artistes when you talk about their musical prowess. These people, aside their music being highly indigenous, are usually nominated under the International or World Music categories, which is the only category reserved for Africans and other outsiders. And who says we need to win Grammies to validate our talents?"

http://www.newseveryhour.com/2018/05/why-afropop-artistes-cant-win-grammy-de.html

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Towncrier247: 6:46pm On May 16, 2018
More
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by osemoses1234(m): 8:57pm On May 16, 2018
Dd
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by DoTheNeedful: 8:57pm On May 16, 2018
Africans and Nigerians especially should try to be comfortable in their skin and space. Why should you want to win Grammy? Why should you want to measure the success of a Nigerian musician by Grammy. Grammy was birthed in the US and the entertainment industry there grew the award to a global audience.
We should also grow our own awards to the global audience. Who Grammy epp

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by chibike69: 8:57pm On May 16, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by jazinogold(m): 8:58pm On May 16, 2018
Decoder I know...please who is D-Code?

Besides D only code I know is *556#

23 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by gurunlocker: 8:58pm On May 16, 2018
undecided undecided undecided
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by MRAKBEE(m): 8:58pm On May 16, 2018
True tok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 16, 2018
Make una no let 9ice hear this kain thing o.

6 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by drips8(m): 8:59pm On May 16, 2018
Nigerian artists and their high level of mediocrity won't even get them a nomination talkless of a Grammy

5 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Hardeybohwarley(m): 8:59pm On May 16, 2018
jazinogold:
Decoder I know...please who is D-Code?
Abeg oooo undecided undecided undecided
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by BruncleZuma: 8:59pm On May 16, 2018
De-Code (n): When you can't afford an Oliver De-Coque

[img]https://i./Djo.gif[/img]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Nairalandmentor(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2018
kiss

1 Like

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Hardeybohwarley(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2018
I reserve my comment. Ramadan has come.
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by vioment: 9:00pm On May 16, 2018
That's right. Butterfly wey think say im be bird. African artist cannot win grammy and it is not the end of the world. Keep doing great music, one day dem go fall in line like many of us.
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by worlexy(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2018
"Don't doubt me I go bring you Grammy "

Please tell 9ice that we his fans are still waiting for him to fulfill his promise

13 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 16, 2018
Pls who is De-code ?

2 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:01pm On May 16, 2018
One day, it's gonna happen!
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by brainbox67: 9:01pm On May 16, 2018
u are right my brother
that's why simi and adekule gold Remains my favorite naija artist for now they are unique and original

12 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by nabegibeg: 9:01pm On May 16, 2018
Towncrier247:
Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy - High-life Singer, De-code

The recent statement by HipTV boss, Ayo Animashaun, that the Grammy Awards is not for Nigerians, has continue to generate reactions from different quarters.

Also reacting to the statement is Nigerian High-Life singer Kingsley C. Egwu popularly known as De-Code.

According to De-Code who spoke to with the press in Lagos, musicians winning the Grammies in Africa are musically not the mate of many of the young artistes clamouring for the awards in the country recently.

De-Code stated that the musicians who can can dream of being nominated are the artistes whose music are more traditional and original.

"I just laugh at many Afropop artistes saying that they want to win the Grammy. Is it with the type of music many Nigerian artistes are singing now? I agree with Ayo Animashaun,Grammy is not for Nigerians. And i will explain further. First let me encourage all Nigerian artistes to sell their culture through music. You can't sell ice to the Eskimos; the only thing we can genuinely own and sell which the outside world will easily buy is our uniqueness, rather than trying to be like them. Many reigning Nigerian artistes today still try to sound like Drake, Chris Brown or Migos. Winning an award like the Grammy is not even by hanging out with American stars, featuring [b]them or they knowing you. It’s more about the unique thing you bring to the music table. You don't expect the organizers to put an R&B artiste from Africa on the nominees categories with real Americans, not to talk of that artiste winning when too many brilliant artistes in America don't have a nomination let alone win; just like you don't expect Ayo Animashaun to add Drake and Beyonce to the Best Rap and Best R&B categories in the Headies Awards respectively. Perhaps, it’s easy to be linked to the Grammy somehow if a foreign artiste features you and the song wins a Grammy, but we are talking about you owning one yourself", [/b]De-Code explains.

De-Code explains further; "You would realize that the African musicians who have either won or nominated in the past such as Angelique Kidjo, King Sunny Ade, Femi Kuti, Ladysmith Black Mambazo,  Ali Farka Touré, Soweto Mass Choir, Youssou N’dour, Owuor Arunga and many more are not “commercial” artistes. Their music even sound like folklore and many of these musicians have won multiple times. They are not the mate of anyone of the currently reigning crop of Nigerian artistes when you talk about their musical prowess. These people, aside their music being highly indigenous, are usually nominated under the International or World Music categories, which is the only category reserved for Africans and other outsiders. And who says we need to win Grammies to validate our talents?"

http://www.newseveryhour.com/2018/05/why-afropop-artistes-cant-win-grammy-de.html

Stage jumpers and pangolo musicians won't like this grin grin

1 Like

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by newjosboy: 9:01pm On May 16, 2018
I concurr
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by brainbox67: 9:01pm On May 16, 2018
u are right my brother
that's why simi and adekule gold Remains my favorite naija artist for now they are unique and original
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Mcanie: 9:02pm On May 16, 2018
Na WA ooo everyone is now claiming authority.
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by InvertedHammer: 9:03pm On May 16, 2018
/*
Who cares about the Grammy?

*/
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Germandude: 9:05pm On May 16, 2018
He sounded Yoruba,but has ibo appearance. This is called segun arinze

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by LeoThaGreat(m): 9:05pm On May 16, 2018
I'm always disgusted at the way some black people struggle for Grammy kind of recognition from the whites.
We need to stop hyping theirs and keep improving ours.
I'm frigging angry dammit
I guess I'll need to listen to my songs to brighten my mood.
Kindly follow the link below to join me

1 Like

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 16, 2018
Wow. Rightly said, and no truer words were ever said.

"And who says we need to win Grammies to validate our talents?" -That's my favorite part, though.

2 Likes

Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by martineverest(m): 9:13pm On May 16, 2018
I guess Angelique kidji sings hip hop ABI na opera.....Angelique has won 4 Grammies and she sings afro pop
Re: De-Code: "Why No Afropop Artistes Can Win A Grammy" by martineverest(m): 9:17pm On May 16, 2018
LeoThaGreat:
I'm always disgusted at the way some black people struggle for Grammy kind of recognition from the whites.
We need to stop hyping theirs and keep improving ours.
I'm frigging angry dammit
I guess I'll need to listen to my songs to brighten my mood.
Kindly follow the link below to join me
In the last 4 Grammies ,blacks have clearly dominated top awards

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ovation Magazine Ankara Styles For Wedding Occasion / Types Of Satanic Sacrifices Carried Out By Most Celebrities For Fame And Fortune / Ufoma Marries Oyinbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.