Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,832 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? (42746 Views)

GUO Motors Attacked, Passengers Kidnapped, Driver Shot Dead. Girl Abandoned / Have You Seen A Nigerian Elephant?Nigeria Abandoned tourism potential / Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by davidif: 5:23pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

So, if Onne port is privately run by Intels (the concession has been suspended by the NPA, by the way) does it mean that importers cannot use the port to bring their goods into the country?

No it means that other sea ports should be privatized so as to make them more functional.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:23pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

So, if Onne port is privately run by Intels (the concession has been suspended by the NPA, by the way) does it mean that importers cannot use the port to bring their goods into the country?
Plz check this live link
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ports/803/Nigeria_port:ONNE

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:24pm On May 17, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 5:24pm On May 17, 2018
obailala:
Anybody is allowed to use Onne, but I hear it cost more, so only oil companies seem to patronize it.

Stop telling lies. sad Different companies and importers use onne port to ship in a variety of goods, not just oil & gas companies!

erico2k2:
Plz check this live link

Guy, I get what you are saying. undecided And i support your view. I am just wondering why some people are throwing up silly excuses, not to use Onne port.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by BiafraIShere(m): 5:27pm On May 17, 2018
Everything about the !diotic republic of Nigeria is just disgusting. This worthless country would rather allow it's home bound cargo to land at Cotonou than for it to land at the Eastern ports! A sensible and responsible government would have given the shipping companies incentives like reduced cost/tax for berthing in the Eastern ports in order to discourage them from going to Lagos yet the bastards won't do it, just because of primitive and tribal sentiment! The same problem is occurring in the airports, when Enugu was made an international airport, some suffersicated bastards from the waste claimed it will kill local airlines!! These same !diots launched scathing campaign against giving Enugu airport an international status, and today, after succeeding in getting themselves into the centre, they have stiffled the AIIA through scorched earth policies like not expanding the runways to allow for bigger aircrafts and equally refusing to install equipment that could enhance night landing. Now, international flights are known to arrive mostly at night and they all use big aircrafts!! Major airlines have continued to avoid using AIIA due to these deliberate bottlenecks and only Ethiopian airlines have continued to risk it against all odds. Nigeria is cursed and will remain a laughing stock while it's citizens will continue to kill each other because they subhumans who failed to evolve. Tufiakwa!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by solutionist: 5:27pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:

You got a point, that poster is uninformed. I ship to Onne port, that statement of obsession with Lagos is not true per say, I think its a Biz decision to either do Lagos or the South East. Even Onitsha ports received cargoes. Cos at the Shipping oys in china there are shipments bound for them destinations I mentioned. If I think its more profitable to ship to Lagos cos my mkt target is South West then yea.ie Bulk sales. But if I'm selling per unit then the final destination would be my target mkt.

You and your partner apparently didn't read the post to the end. It is either that or you both have comprehension problem.

autojosh:

Note, however, that the Intels’ Onne port in River state is Nigeria’s best run and perhaps the most active ports in the country. The Intels’ Onne seaport is a privately-run seaport within the same region as the abandoned ports.

According to the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, in 2017, the cargo throughput on Nigeria seaport was highest at Onne Port.

In that year, the Onne Port had cargo throughput of 25,836,246 (while inward was 1,947,347, outward was 23,888,899).

This was followed by Apapa Port with 18,909,238 (inward was 17,523,313, while outward was 1,385,925)

Tin Can Island Port was third with 15,520,925 (inward was 14,623 and outward was 1,385,925).

Meanwhile, the other seaports – Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar – struggled with very poor cargo throughput.

Please note that these almost comatose seaports are within the same axis as the high-performing Onne port.

So, what really is the excuse for the neglect of the seaports at Port Harcourt, Warri and Calabar?

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Stop telling lies. sad Different companies and importers use onne port to ship in a variety of goods, not just oil & gas companies!
Plz tell em, I see why PMB used the word lazy Nigerian youths, you can as a matter of fact check vessels going in and out of every functional sea port in the world for free on line even Onne port, but they prefer naira bet and codeine instead of investing their times in more meaningful education!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by harrismcse: 5:28pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:
A very uninformed write up.
There is no Port at koko rather Sapele.
Other Ports mentioned are functioning, He also forgot to mention the Onitsha ports, Goods are shipped to Onne port daily. The rest of the ports do work but not as busy as Lagos due to low patronage .OP you can buy 10 ship loads of goods and ship to Onitsha or Onne ports.

please stop talking trash? Onitsha port is working and the million of traders there will waste their time and resources to bring their goods in tru lagos? the Federal government is tactically under developing the SS/SE regions to the detriment of the whole nation. Apapa is a nightmare because of port activities, even at that they cant repair the roads, instead they ask Dangote to repair and be given a tax waiver worth billions of naira. we are a failed and divisive state. like someone said earlier I blame GEJ, cos if he had put his foot on ground to revamp and dredge those that need dredging with d speed of light all this trash wont be happening.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:29pm On May 17, 2018
solutionist:

You and your partner apparently didn't read the post to the end. It is either that or you both have comprehension problem.

Are you sure you understood what I wrote or was that a knee jerk reacting post? cos from where I'm standing my post was not an argument but a statement of fact when it comes to what port to ship to, how can you argue against that?? and what part of it don't you agree to??

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by PointZerom: 5:31pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:

look here and get sense
lazy youth
Just like your PHCN Onne port is working. Sense fall on you.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by solutionist: 5:32pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:

Are you sure you understood what I wrote or was that a knee jerk reacting post? cos from where I'm standing my post was not an argument but a statement of fact when it comes to what port to ship to, how can you argue against that?? and what part of it don't you agree to??

autojosh:

Note, however, that the Intels’ Onne port in River state is Nigeria’s best run and perhaps the most active ports in the country. The Intels’ Onne seaport is a privately-run seaport within the same region as the abandoned ports.

According to the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, in 2017, the cargo throughput on Nigeria seaport was highest at Onne Port.

In that year, the Onne Port had cargo throughput of 25,836,246 (while inward was 1,947,347, outward was 23,888,899).

This was followed by Apapa Port with 18,909,238 (inward was 17,523,313, while outward was 1,385,925)

Tin Can Island Port was third with 15,520,925 (inward was 14,623 and outward was 1,385,925).

Meanwhile, the other seaports – Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar – struggled with very poor cargo throughput.

Please note that these almost comatose seaports are within the same axis as the high-performing Onne port.

So, what really is the excuse for the neglect of the seaports at Port Harcourt, Warri and Calabar?

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:36pm On May 17, 2018
harrismcse:
[color=#006600][/color]
please stop talking trash? Onitsha port is working and the million of traders there will waste their time and resources to bring their goods in tru lagos? the Federal government is tactically under developing the SS/SE regions to the detriment of the whole nation. Apapa is a nightmare because of port activities, even at that they cant repair the roads, instead they ask Dangote to repair and be given a tax waiver worth billions of naira. we are a failed and divisive state. like someone said earlier I blame GEJ, cos if he had put his foot on ground to revamp and dredge those that need dredging with d speed of light all this trash wont be happening.
HAVE YOU BEEN TO Onitsha PORT,oNNE PORT.WARRI PORTS??
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by CSTR1003: 5:38pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:
bcoz militant will take advantage of it and we all know lagos is home for all.....yoruba's are very accommodating
I assume your greatest desire is to see igbos go back home so that you can have Lagos to yourselves .

Steps like this is what you should pray for.

Some igbos are in Lagos because that is where their goods are cleared.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by sangresan(m): 5:40pm On May 17, 2018
autojosh:
Nigeria and Benin Republic are competitors in the maritime business. The two West African countries are competing to be the Load Center, otherwise known as transshipment base, in West Africa.

Tragically, Contonou has remained the haven for Nigerian importers.

About 60% of all the imports to West Africa are destined to Nigeria. However, what gets to our seaports is just about 10%.

In other words, all the shipment coming to West Africa are billed for Nigeria, but at the end of the day what gets to Nigerian port directly is just about 10%.

The greater amount of cargoes are offloaded in neigbouring ports in Cotonou and other West African states and then they are transshipped to Nigeria. This is mostly because the seaports at Apapa and Tin Can are enormously overwhelmed.

Calabar Port Terminal

Meanwhile, Nigeria has 4 other sea ports that are underutilized or abandoned. The seaports are in Warri, Calabar, Koko and Port Harcourt.

Unarguably, Nigeria enjoys a large market advantage over Benin Republic because of her population, but sadly, it is Benin Republic that benefits from the large market of Nigeria.

Many countries of the world do not have such luxuries of having multiple seaports. Some are landlocked. Fortunately, Nigeria is blessed with many natural harbors and ports. Sadly, we are not taking advantage of this blessing.

Indeed, Nigeria needs deep seaports. However, if fully utilized, the abandoned and underutilized seaports in Nigeria have the capacity to significantly increase our national revenue and indeed our GDP.

So, why are the Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko seaports underutilized?

Port Harcourt Port Terminal

Warri Port Terminal

Intel Onne Port

https://autojosh.com/why-are-the-four-other-seaports-in-nigeria-abandoned/

You started with the argument that other ports were abandoned for Lagos ports...You ended with another postulation that Onne Port is even better run than Lagos ports..

Ogbeni, put your thoughts together.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:42pm On May 17, 2018
solutionist:

I never disputed that, I know Onne port is one of THE best ports in Nigeria, I use it all the time, I'm basically saying the post did not capture ports of Sapele instead said Koko which has next to non existent. I was basically saying for economic reasons one might chose Lagos to Onne port cos of market target. Let me give you an Instant, I'm shipping a car to Lagos right a bout now cos I want to do work on it @ Lagos so the container is going to Lagos 1st time in for years!
I recon U mis understood me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by CSTR1003: 5:42pm On May 17, 2018
The incontrovertible fact is that Nigeria is going nowhere having Lagos as the only port state.

We will just be kidding ourselves if we believe that is sustainable.

When Nigeria and Nigerians are ready for development, the right thing will be done.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by solutionist: 5:53pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:

I never disputed that, I know Onne port is one of THE best ports in Nigeria, I use it all the time, I'm basically saying the post did not capture ports of Sapele instead said Koko which has next to non existent. I was basically saying for economic reasons one might chose Lagos to Onne port cos of market target. Let me give you an Instant, I'm shipping a car to Lagos right a bout now cos I want to do work on it @ Lagos so the container is going to Lagos 1st time in for years!
I recon U mis understood me.

I get you, bro.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 6:04pm On May 17, 2018
BiafraIShere:
Everything about the !diotic republic of Nigeria is just disgusting. This worthless country would rather allow it's home bound cargo to land at Cotonou than for it to land at the Eastern ports! A sensible and responsible government would have given the shipping companies incentives like reduced cost/tax for berthing in the Eastern ports in order to discourage them from going to Lagos yet the bastards won't do it, just because of primitive and tribal sentiment! The same problem is occurring in the airports, when Enugu was made an international airport, some suffersicated bastards from the waste claimed it will kill local airlines!! These same !diots launched scathing campaign against giving Enugu airport an international status, and today, after succeeding in getting themselves into the centre, they have stiffled the AIIA through scorched earth policies like not expanding the runways to allow for bigger aircrafts and equally refusing to install equipment that could enhance night landing. Now, international flights are known to arrive mostly at night and they all use big aircrafts!! Major airlines have continued to avoid using AIIA due to these deliberate bottlenecks and only Ethiopian airlines have continued to risk it against all odds. Nigeria is cursed and will remain a laughing stock while it's citizens will continue to kill each other because they subhumans who failed to evolve. Tufiakwa!!!!

Yet, you had over four Ministers of Aviation & Transport in the last 15 years, who hailed from the SE region yet did absolutely nothing about the airports in the SE, or seaports in the SS. Wow! shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 6:05pm On May 17, 2018
CSTR1003:
The incontrovertible fact is that Nigeria is going nowhere having Lagos as the only port state.

We will just be kidding ourselves if we believe that is sustainable.

When Nigeria and Nigerians are ready for development, the right thing will be done.

Lagos is NOT the only port state. Onne port is also close to the SS/SE region. undecided Go and check. It is also highly functional.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Newmanluckyman(m): 6:12pm On May 17, 2018
...it's simple. Oji onye na ala, ji onwe ya (he that holds another man on the ground is equally holding himself bound).
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by seguno2: 6:25pm On May 17, 2018
theenchanter:
It always beat my imagination how Nigeria end up inflicting hardship on itself just because of "marginalization". Take it or leave it, some parts of Nigeria is being marginalized, the nation can't move forward with this set-up.

Don't tell me states govt can build their seaports when their federal allocation can only pay salaries and minor road projects.

Are you saying that the governors are not stealing money?
How did Awolowo, Jakande, Bola Ige, Ambrose Ali, Bisi Onabanjo etc achieve so much with less money and never owed salaries
Stop making excuses for the rogues in the states.
Find ways to hold them accountable please.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by computer0810(m): 6:31pm On May 17, 2018
CSTR1003:

I assume your greatest desire is to see igbos go back home so that you can have Lagos to yourselves .

Steps like this is what you should pray for.

Some igbos are in Lagos because that is where their goods are cleared.
who tell u others are not functioning at all
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by mybestlove(m): 6:31pm On May 17, 2018
I believe the seaports business in Nigeria has been politicised. Lagos won't be happy to see other seaports functional, Obasanjo, Tinubu, atiku and all politicians owning terminals at tincan and environs won't permit the resuscitation of the other seaports.

The more reason why Lagos is posting billions in IGR
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Xander85: 6:34pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:
bcoz militant will take advantage of it and we all know lagos is home for all.....yoruba's are very accommodating

You typed this and sat back to review it, feeling mighty pleased with yourself that you've made a sensible post abi?

If militants are running amok all over the Niger Delta, how come the production of oil and and gas has increased and stabilised? Oil production in your 'dangerous' Niger Delta has now peaked at over two million barrels per day?

Can you share links of news stories reporting the kidnap or murder of indigenous or expatriate oil and gas workers in the past two months? For every one you post, i'll post three of criminality in the South West.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by buchilino(m): 6:34pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:

WITH ALL D COMPUTER EDUCATION, DIS IS ALL U CAN COME UP WITH, SUCH A DAMN SHAME
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by computer0810(m): 6:38pm On May 17, 2018
Xander85:

You typed this and sat back to review it, feeling mighty pleased with yourself that you've made a sensible post abi?

If militants are running amok all over the Niger Delta, how come the production of oil and and gas has increased and stabilised? Oil production in your 'dangerous' Niger Delta has now peaked at over two million barrels per day?

Can you share links of news stories reporting the kidnap or murder of indigenous or expatriate oil and gas workers in the past two months? For every one you post, i'll post three of criminality in the South West.
bcoz the military has stationed there base in d Niger delta region most especially d areas d militant operate

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by NickD(m): 6:52pm On May 17, 2018
theenchanter:
It always beat my imagination how Nigeria end up inflicting hardship on itself just because of "marginalization". Take it or leave it, some parts of Nigeria is being marginalized, the nation can't move forward with this set-up.

Don't tell me states govt can build their seaports when their federal allocation can only pay salaries and minor road projects.

Don't tell me they can generate revenue on their own when there's not much economic presence in the regions.

Don't tell me their citizens can pay tax to generate revenue when their people are jobless, hungry and angry.

A sensible central govt will tryna ease Lagos seaport by allowing cargoes that are eastern bound use any of the remaining ports, afterall; not all consignment are for Lagos alone, what's d point in wasting about 30days to clear goods in Lagos when the remaining ports are useless?

Nigeria is fvcked up, big time!... even Benin republic is feeding on Nigeria's carcass.
Bro it is deliberate.. powers that be just want only the Lagos port to function because of the huge revenue they generate. It's saddening but it's simply the basic truth.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by NickD(m): 6:54pm On May 17, 2018
Odingo1:
Nigeria is a segregated country that doesn't want all its part to develop, they prefer backwardness and their tribes prefer seeing others suffering and on sunday and friday they will enter churches and mosque to go and deceive their-selves.

South Africa have six standard seaport that covers the whole country, you cant live in Capetown and be going all the way to Durban to clear your goods.
You hit the nail on the head. Imagine if all the ports were working it'll reduce the melee that goes on in the Lagos port while generating revenue for other regions where these ports are sited.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by NickD(m): 6:55pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:
Big bad lie.. why don't they stop operating oil wells and vessels since militants are disturbing. Your analogy doesn't hold water.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by NickD(m): 6:58pm On May 17, 2018
hypnotic:
the IGR of lagos will bottom down
You know this and that's why they won't let any other port function. They are simply sitting on their hands.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:

Rubbish talk.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by aribisala0(m): 7:00pm On May 17, 2018
The fundamental issue here is those kelekele importers who bring in maybe 10 containers a year. They believe they are the lifeblood of the ports. hey fail to realize that some companies bring in several ships of containers at the same time several times a year.

There is no where in the world where ports are set up just for small single container importers and that is why we need dry docks not more ports . containers should be transported in bulk to dry docks under Custom Escort /supervision and they can be sorted there

Switzerland is landlocked and we don't hear all this noise. What is needed is the rail line direct from the port to the dry dock and you can move thousands of containers there daily to be sorted and processed. Moving every single container one by one on truck back is very inefficient

Thiis is just the same tired old Eeboe bitterness at a supposed Yoruba edge packaged in a new format.
If Switzerland can thrive withou a port then let us not pretend that we cannot or not having a port is what is holding anyone down
Godswill Akpabio,Peter Odili,Rotimi Amaechi, Ibori , Uduaghan

Hald in their collective possession over many years billions of dollars. What do we have to show for this in terms of diversifying from oil? In terms of development?
They could have built bigger ports than anything in Lagos add to that the waste in Tinapa and Uyo Stadium.

If anyone wants a port let them find investors to build it as is happeniing in Lekki.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Riding On A Motorcycle Crushed To Death By Car (Extremely Graphic Photos) / Fatal Accident Along Ore-lagos Express Way, 8 People Confirmed Dead (photos) / What ECOWAS Countries Have You Visited? How Do They Compare To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.