Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,804 members, 7,802,569 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! (16469 Views)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / I Wonder What Ghananians Are Turning In To: (it's A Shame) / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by honeric01(m): 10:00pm On Nov 01, 2008
na2day?:

huh! u didnt tell me u were 40 i now understand ur plight lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

uhm, o ma shie ooo
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by na2day2(m): 2:33am On Nov 02, 2008
i thought so too. my consolations cry cry cry cry

honeric01:

uhm, o ma shie ooo
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by comechop(m): 5:24pm On Dec 23, 2008
all u guys sayin that u wont take someone that doesnt speak his/her language seriously are just being ridiculous. Are u kidding me? Do you even know the circumstances Wow sometimes Nigerians can be soooo myopic n narrow-minded. Yes, language, culture n ethics are all very important, but to marlign someone just cos of that is just, yes, stupid.
You guys can flame me here, but I speak/understand my language just a lil bit, and yes i lived in Nigeria.
Yes u can say shame shame shame whatevers, i've heard it all before when I was a kid and it hurt n i almost got a complex cos of that.
But now, its like water off a ducks back. Yes I did wish that i learnt, but guess what, I DIDNT so you guys go live ur life n let me live me!
Its ridiculous to hear GROWN MEN make this such a big issue! Not everyone grew up in a village or in a home where the native tongue was spoken predominantly. What if your parents married inter-tribally, do you know how hard it is for a kid to pick up both languages? And then move countries and not hav any practice??
Then YOU make it YOUR JOB and DECISION to condemn and judge other people?
Please just stupid and ridiculous. I'm tired of pple like that.

OK my rant is over lol MERRY CHRISTMAS
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by comechop(m): 5:26pm On Dec 23, 2008
Oh and BTW, the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA is ENGLISH, if you guys forgot, so learn that WELL TOO.
And it is more important to teach the kids about CULTURE AND CUSTOMS, MORALS, ETHICS and BEHAVIOR than language in my book.

I am not ashamed, and you can all say what you want and hav your opinion, but in the end, some of us are actually better people,
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by bluespice(f): 5:37pm On Dec 23, 2008
mother tongue?

pls that's overated why cant u use the word traditional language?

my first language is English ill always be most confident speaking it than any other language
dont get me wrong i know the meaning of mother tongue i just think its an overated word

now about it being a shame if one cant speak one's native language,
it depends on so many circumstances
i say it, i had to learn my language at 15 cos i couldnt say jack
not cos i was embarassed but cos i wanted to
it gives one a sense of belonging with other speakers
however never in my years of not being able to speak, was i ever ashamed
it was a choice my parents and i made for me
why sweat over someone else's decision?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by IGWEUSA(m): 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2008
this Female poster is at d right igbo language hospital, lol

Just one kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss, she will loose her ability 2 speak any other language than her mother tongue!

*********Boys oye, Oye****************
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by tamme: 2:21am On Oct 11, 2009
not anymore
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by lightwalk(m): 6:33am On Oct 11, 2009
ANYBODY WHO CANNOT SPEAK HIS/HER MOTHER TONGUE AT AGE 15 IS A FOOL FOR SURE
What will determine how mad the person is how important the person sees it.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by africhika(f): 4:29pm On Oct 11, 2009
well i'm def. ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but i left 9ja 2yrs. old.
my parents always spoke english to me. they speak igbo to each other.

i've been trying to learn it. i've bought CDs and books. i listen to a lot of igbo music. i try to practice with my parents
but they say it's too late to learn. but i've learned the basics! grin

anyway, that's why i'd like to marry an igbo man. cool
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by na2day2(m): 7:58pm On Oct 11, 2009
africhika:

well i'm def. ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but i left 9ja 2yrs. old.
my parents always spoke english to me. they speak igbo to each other.

i've been trying to learn it. i've bought CDs and books. i listen to a lot of igbo music. i try to practice with my parents
but they say it's too late to learn. but i've learned the basics! grin

anyway, that's why i'd like to marry an igbo man. cool

u want to marry an igbo man so u can learn igbo? girl u r in for big trouble lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by chic2pimp(m): 8:20pm On Oct 11, 2009
lightwalk:

ANYBODY WHO CANNOT SPEAK HIS/HER MOTHER TONGUE AT AGE 15 IS A FOOL FOR SURE
What a stupid thing to say.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by na2day2(m): 8:28pm On Oct 11, 2009
chic2pimp:

to say the least
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by africhika(f): 3:48am On Oct 12, 2009
quote by na2day?
« #233 on: Today at 01:58:04 PM »

u want to marry an igbo man so u can learn igbo? girl u r in for big trouble   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

no, i'm not in trouble for wanting to marry igbo man.
learning the language isn't the only reason.
anyway, i said i'd like to, but I don't have to. it's God's will.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by na2day2(m): 4:16am On Oct 12, 2009
africhika:

no, i'm not in trouble for wanting to marry igbo man.
learning the language isn't the only reason.
anyway, i said i'd like to, but I don't have to. it's God's will.

ur statement seems otherwise but whatever u say
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by lightwalk(m): 4:18am On Oct 12, 2009
^^^There's nothing wrong with wanting to marry a rich man, or wnting to marry an igbo man, or wanting to marrya yoruba man. The point is this is what you want

chic2pimp:

Exactly how stupid is it? I don't think it could be more than you undecided
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Rooneyboy(m): 4:16am On Oct 13, 2009
@ poster , i think i m with u on this problem , many of us Lagos brought ups are in trouble o.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by ekankumo: 6:12pm On Apr 02, 2010
well i feel sorry who ever dose not know how to speak he or her mother's language. in my own case i can speak but cannot write please somebody help me
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by lightwalk(m): 2:57pm On Apr 04, 2010
it's a big shame
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Afam4eva(m): 6:29pm On Apr 04, 2010
Those that can't speak their mother tongue should be ashamed of their lives especially those that grew up in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by idifu(m): 8:32am On Apr 14, 2010
i tried so many times to speak Calabar but i just couldn't spit in Calabar like i spit in Yoruba , my mother is from Cross river state, i was born in Cross river, my dad is a Yoruba man from Abeokuta, i have lived my entire life in Lagos, i was brought to Lagos right after my parents gave birth to me.
I love the Cross river ppl so much than the Yoruba ppl i dont know why and it saddens my heart that i can't spit calabarsad damn !
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
Rooneyboy: [b] Bros please anywhere you are lashing my future | wife, | please take it easy and remain for me | please. |

Loool @ that signature ^^^^

@topic. I think so. I can understand why some ppl cant be it due to adoption, relocation, being raised in another environment, etc. but not knowing how to correspond with your ppl in your own language is in my opinion kind of sad.

I would encourage anyone who is in this situation to make an effort to learn or relearn their mother tongues.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Edos / Eluku Festival: Notice Of Movement Restrictions In Ikorodu / New Laws Guiding Burial In Enugwu-Ukwu Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.