Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,858 members, 7,806,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? (1315 Views)

Niger Military Goes On War Footing As French Jets Attacks National Guard Base / IMF Backs A Global Central Bank-backed Digital Currency Network / New Article Indicates Ukraine And US Losing Badly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 9:31am On May 18, 2018
With recent decisions and actions taken by the Trump administration in foreign affairs which include but not limited to:
-Pulling out of the Paris accord,
-Backing out on and terminating the Iran nuclear deal,
-Recognition of Jerusalem as exclusively Isaeli territory and subsequent establishment of the US embassy there,
Unprecedented trade wars with China and the EU,
there's a feeling of general distrust for America's role as a leader in global ecomomic agreements and actions, by the UN and most especially by it's strong EU allies, Germany and France. In fact, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called for a more ecomomically independent Europe.
The implication of this is that, in the next couple of decades, if this blatant disregard for the decisions of other economic powers by the US continues, we might witness a sort of tripolarity in global leadership which is detrimental to world unity and peace. Such tripolarity may pan out like this:
The EU-pole 1
China-pole 2
The US and it's more loyal allies-pole 3
Russia can be considered as a pariah or outlier because it is not an economic superpower but largely recognised for her military strength.
This therefore will see the US losing it's position and influence as the global leader.
I'd like to have meaningful contributions and debate on this observation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by DivinelyBlessed: 9:31am On May 18, 2018
No
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by OneCorner: 9:32am On May 18, 2018
Waiting for my flat headed friends to talk first cool
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by KEVIND: 9:42am On May 18, 2018
America has been cheated for long in terms of trade and other agreement she signed with other countries of the World especially with EU and China. So naturally there's bound to be resentment and disapproval when President Trump decides that things must be done accordingly without America suffering from such deals.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:49am On May 18, 2018
Yes it is,By electing the business man called Trump.The reasons you posted are a solid confirmation of it from NAFTA,Paris accord,TPP etc.
He is giving way for nations like China and Russia to take the front line in global affairs thanks to his America first policy.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by SalamRushdie: 9:50am On May 18, 2018
Nonsense , so because America no longer wants to be the fool of the world you think she has lost her place in the committee of Nation....for you information America is gaining back all the respect it had lost over the years ...Keeping America Great is now the clarion call ..its either you respect America or Fear them the choice is yours

3 Likes

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by EazyMoh(m): 9:54am On May 18, 2018
KEVIND:
America has been cheated for long in terms of trade and other agreement she signed with other countries of the World especially with EU and China. So naturally there's bound to be resentment and disapproval when President Trump decides that things must be done accordingly without America suffering from such deals.
How many other countries did the US also cheat in the rest of their agreement with less powerful countries? You listed basically just three, while there are dozens more which the US use like a condom.
Using their territories as mere outpost siphoning their resources (oil) with reckless abandon, selling their mill array hardware for exorbitant prices and many more. By the way d trade between US and China is mutually beneficial. Some would even argue US is at the advantage more.

1 Like

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 9:54am On May 18, 2018
KEVIND:
Most of America's actions such as the Iran nuclear deal and Jerusalem, are in defiance of UN resolutions and agreements of which the US took part in. It creates serious distrust and undermines the stance of other member countries.

1 Like

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by baralatie(m): 9:59am On May 18, 2018
rather the us has become more important and has consolidated itself as a global leader
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 10:03am On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Yes it is,By electing the business man called Trump.The reasons you posted are a solid confirmation of it from NAFTA,Paris accord,TPP etc.
He is giving way for nations like China and Russia to take the front line in global affairs thanks to his America first policy.
Yea, the TPP and NAFTA also. I mean, America's policing of global affairs have kept the world from exploding for more than 70 years now. Why back down? It's really going to create chaos as more countries are going to become more independent of and less influenced by the US.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by hisgrace090: 10:04am On May 18, 2018
It takes a builder to build a nation, Trump the builder have come to rebuild America for good.

1 Like

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Horus(m): 10:11am On May 18, 2018
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Win12345: 10:13am On May 18, 2018
Haha haha, some people can be bias on earth, Trump has made America more powerful both politically and economically. The Islamic undertone of UN was exposed and disregarded by Trump, refocusing US to its original path b4 Obama adulterous regime that nearly brought US down in world politics & allow China, Russia & Iran to be jumping up and down.
Today when US talks the world takes them more seriously, and no one messes around Trump. UN must redefine itself otherwise it will be a dead organization.
As for EU, bro relax they are panicking along side China b/c of Trump economic policies which has favoured Americans more & made their economy more robust. Bro China is bleeding already & begging Trump to save their jobs.
Stop being small minded, every country need Trump kind of leadership. Bliss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:18am On May 18, 2018
FRoosevelt:
Yea, the TPP and NAFTA also. I mean, America's policing of global affairs have kept the world from exploding for more than 70 years now. Why back down? It's really going to create chaos as more countries are going to become more independent of and less influenced by the US.
I don't think so America only cares about it's interest they intervene on issues only when it affects them or their status as a world power.I prefer when nations are more independent and less influenced by the US it shouldn't be chaotic.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 10:27am On May 18, 2018
Win12345:
Haha haha, some people can be bias on earth, Trump has made America more powerful both politically and economically. The Islamic undertone of UN was exposed and disregarded by Trump, refocusing US to its original path b4 Obama adulterous regime that nearly brought US down in world politics & allow China, Russia & Iran to be jumping up and down.
Today when US talks the world takes them more seriously, and no one messes around Trump. UN must redefine itself otherwise it will be a dead organization.
As for EU, bro relax they are panicking along side China b/c of Trump economic policies which has favoured Americans more & made their economy more robust. Bro China is bleeding already & begging Trump to save their jobs.
You don't become influential and powerful by isolating yourself from global issues and all. I am not on about the islamic agenda and all that propaganda you are talking about. That's not my perspective. America must continue to affirm its place as the global police for maintenance of world peace. For it to do this, it must show itself reliable and trustworthy to the EU and other allies, not what's happening now.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 10:35am On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

I don't think so America only cares about it's interest they intervene on issues only when it affects them or their status as a world power.I prefer when nations are more independent and less influenced by the US it shouldn't be chaotic.
Tripolarity has been shown to be a disavantage to stability. It's like having different 3 different presidents in one country. America has always been the one global leader with great imfluence on the EU and Asia. They earned this position by building trust with their allies, not isolating themselves and backstabbing.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:36am On May 18, 2018
FRoosevelt:
You don't become influential and powerful by isolating yourself from global issues and all. I am not on about the islamic agenda and all that propaganda you are talking about. That's not my perspective. America must continue to affirm its place as the global police for maintenance of world peace. For it to do this, it must show itself reliable and trustworthy to the EU and other allies, not what's happening now.
Majority of them just talk based on sentiment.I wonder what is the Islamic undertone when Saudi Arabia is a friend of the US.No wonder Trump's travel ban did not affect some wealthy Islamic nations(because of interest).I believe if you want to continue being a leader and policing world affairs you must have allies and be in organisations that are a part of the global frontier but it turns out that the business man Trump is not interested.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:42am On May 18, 2018
FRoosevelt:
Tripolarity has been shown to be a disavantage to stability. It's like having different 3 different presidents in one country. America has always been the one global leader with great imfluence on the EU and Asia. They earned this position by building trust with their allies, not isolating themselves and backstabbing.
I agree with your last statement but I believe that other nations should also take the front seats since you say that they earned their position by building trust with allies,other nations should do same it must not be America after all they would not be forgotten for being a good example of democracy.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 10:42am On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Majority of them just talk based on sentiment.I wonder what is the Islamic undertone when Saudi Arabia is a friend of the US.No wonder Trump travel ban did not affect some wealth Islamic nations(because of interest).I believe if you want to continue being a leader and policing world affairs you must have allies and be in organisations that are a part of the global frontier but it turns out that the business man Trump is not interested.
You totally get it. The guy is trying to reduce this discourse to a religious propaganda.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:45am On May 18, 2018
FRoosevelt:
You totally get it. The guy is trying to reduce this discourse to a religious propaganda.
That is what they sometimes do on NL bringing in religious and tribalistic discussions .Nice chatting with you I like discussions devoid of insults have a great day.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 10:58am On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
I agree with your last statement but I believe that other nations should also take the front seats since you say that they earned their position by building trust with allies,other nations should do same it must not be America after all they would not be forgotten for being a good example of democracy.
I agree. I would like for China to take over but it seems they are disinterested and slow when it comes to global affairs. I guess that's how the Donald wants the US to be like. Which leaves the next option, EU. Well, maybe Brussels(EU) might do a better job on global co-ordination. What do you think?
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Nobody: 11:02am On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

That is what they sometimes do on NL bringing in religious and tribalistic discussions .Nice chatting with you I like discussions devoid of insults have a great day.
Just when i was begining to enjoy this you are leaving. Anyway, thanks and have a lovely day ahead.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:06am On May 18, 2018
FRoosevelt:
I agree. I would like for China to take over but it seems they are disinterested and slow when it comes to global affairs. I guess that's how the Donald wants the US to be like. Which leaves the next option, EU. Well, maybe Brussels(EU) might do a better job on global co-ordination. What do you think?
Well maybe it is due to the way China rules it citizens and it's not really democratic and it could be hard to lead a global stage when almost every nation has embraced democracy,one thing I know is that these nations are after their interest including Russia and the EU.However they rule in global affairs and co-ordination must always be in their interest.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by ollah2: 12:23pm On May 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

You see why you deserve a weekend chills with me in the place of your choice.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 1:26pm On May 18, 2018
ollah2:

You see why you deserve a weekend chills with me in the place of your choice.
Thank you sir,I appreciate it.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by KEVIND: 1:29pm On May 18, 2018
EazyMoh:

How many other countries did the US also cheat in the rest of their agreement with less powerful countries? You listed basically just three, while there are dozens more which the US use like a condom.
Using their territories as mere outpost siphoning their resources (oil) with reckless abandon, selling their mill array hardware for exorbitant prices and many more. By the way d trade between US and China is mutually beneficial. Some would even argue US is at the advantage more.

Then ask those so called "less powerful countries" to redefine or renegotiate the agreement they believe are not in the interest of their respective countries. Trump has said that America can not be fooled anymore into losing trillions of dollars to bad negotiated deals and accords. So,pls deal with it.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by MrMystrO(m): 6:25pm On May 18, 2018
It doesn't Matter. The state of Israel is the Real Power controlling the US anyway, Trump is just a Limited Term President and so in the end, the Long term American foreign policy/world domination goals Crafted specifically by Israel for them Remains the Same. Nothing Really changes.
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by APCsupporter: 7:14pm On May 18, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Nonsense , so because America no longer wants to be the fool of the world you think she has lost her place in the committee of Nation....for you information America is gaining back all the respect it had lost over the years ...Keeping America Great is now the clarion call ..its either you respect America or Fear them the choice is yours

I think you should stick to your anti-buhari comments in the politics section. What ignorance!
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by APCsupporter: 7:18pm On May 18, 2018
Win12345:

Was it not us that majority of the world voted against some months ago? And i t was not too long ago when NK was challenging and threatening America like nobody's Business cheesy. Today NK is a nuclear and Iran is also on the way. keep fooling yourself
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by SalamRushdie: 7:27pm On May 18, 2018
APCsupporter:

I think you should stick to your anti-buhari comments in the politics section. What ignorance!

Does itvlook like I was talking about your Saudi Arabia here
Re: Is The US Losing It's Footing As A Global Leader? by bennyann: 3:49pm On May 19, 2018
Just because América has made it obvious where it stands and because it doesn't pat every country on their backs as before doesn't mean they can't be trusted or can't be the global leader anymore.

If you don't trust Trump because he shows you who he is, where he stands and doesn't act like an hypocrite just to soothe your heart and then backstab you later, then the problem isn't with the now America.

A powerful person is someone who leads, not someone who follows or try pleasing everyone, not someone who is scared of acting out where he stands for all to see only to carry out his heart desires secretly.

I don't think I will like to be an ally with a hypocrite. The now America is not led by a flip-flopper or cherrypicker.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

China's Military Preparing For U.S. Intervention In Taiwan Strait( Pics,Video) / deleted? / Flights Out Of Russia Sell Out After Putin Orders Partial Call-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.