Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

How To Join Politics - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Join Politics (24577 Views)

Wike: If You Don't Want To Be Betrayed, Don't Join Politics. I Am Fully Prepared / Makinde Tells Clerics To Join Politics If They Want Nigeria To Progress / Osinbajo: Social Media Won’t Transform Lives, Join Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Join Politics by YOLO1(m): 11:49pm On May 19, 2018
Please, who knows how to join APC or PDP in Abuja?
Re: How To Join Politics by Emycord: 12:16am On May 20, 2018
johnmba:
Nigeria politics is dirty. True christain cannot play clean politics.
The Big Question Is Are You A True Christian? So Can A True Muslim Play Politics?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Join Politics by ahmedbanj(m): 12:30am On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
die well brother sad
cheesy
Lilisticlili:
die well brother sad

hahaa lol, U no gud oo
Re: How To Join Politics by valentino057996(m): 12:53am On May 20, 2018
PLS HELP A BROTHER I HAVE N0T EATEN SINCE M0RNING AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE H0PE OF DINNER 2064278964 uba bank
Re: How To Join Politics by tarano: 12:56am On May 20, 2018
Go get your PVC.
Re: How To Join Politics by AreaFada2: 12:57am On May 20, 2018
AirstarKane:
thanks so much.I would love to join politics but I heard even if you want to run for any post,it has to be from your locality. for example, I moved to Abuja cis of Nysc and am based there. I was told I cant get any post cos am not a northerner and all. I want to start small and it's taking time. I really love politics buh its been difficult. what do I do?

Look for people from your state who also do politics and be members of a party from XYZ state based in Abj.

Try connect with the Senator or HoR member from your locality.

It takes time. But loyalty is crucial. Stick with one big gun and run errands for him/her if needs be.

Reward might be little to begin. But it can grow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Join Politics by vicope4christ(m): 2:22am On May 20, 2018
Stop complaining about the wrong done by people in politics while you are standing alof. Let's join hand together to chase away what we don't want and create our own world. God bless Nigeria.
Re: How To Join Politics by Gerrard59(m): 4:00am On May 20, 2018
johnmba:
Nigeria politics is dirty. True christain cannot play clean politics.

Yemi Osinbajo must be a dirty christian. shocked shocked
Re: How To Join Politics by Mcanie: 6:20am On May 20, 2018
mathinips:
HOW TO JOIN POLITICS

Having convinced you that you can actually be actively involved in politics without contesting elections, let's consider the steps you need to take to get started.

1. Identify your Ward:
The ward is the smallest unit of Government in Politics. The Political Head of a Ward is called Councilor. Every politician must compulsorily be a card-carrying member of a political party at the ward level. This however is with the exception of those who choose to contest election as or support independent candidates. Your ward is not necessarily your home town but the locality where you will most conveniently carry out your political activities. It is also advisable that you also register with INEC as a voter in this ward.

2. Make the Choice of Political Party:
Consider the available political parties in your area and make a choice. I advise you study the manifesto and constitution of the party you want to join and agree that you align with her. Unfortunately, in Nigeria's nascent democracy, ideology is not well defined in the existing political parties, therefore, they almost share basic ideologies.

3. Get involved in Ward activities:
The least you can do as a politician is to attend your ward meetings. Get deeply involved at this stage. Contribute at meetings and assist once in a while in footing party bills either in kind or cash. This not easy and takes time and plenty of efforts. Once in a while, sponsor refreshments at meetings or volunteer to transport some members to meetings or other activities.

4. Identify like-minded believers in the party to relate with:
This is very important as decision are taken in politics based on majority of opinions. It is important that you align with your own class of people to ensure that decisions taken are not to the disadvantage of your interest.

5. Relate Well With The leaders:
That you want to make changes in the politics of your environment does not mean castigating existing leaders. Celebrate them for the good they have done and be silent on their evils, at least for a start. Success in politics is about who you know and not necessarily what you know.

6. Volunteer to be part of Campaigns/Party Activities:
Every political campaign and political activity needs hard workers. If you want to get an idea of how politics really work, walk into any campaign office of a candidate and offer to help out. You'll likely be asked to do what appears to be menial work at first, things like helping to register new voters or making phone calls and/or test messages on behalf of a candidate. But if you do the job well, you'll be given more responsibilities and more visible roles in the campaign.

7. Pay attention to Political Information: Unfortunately many are political illiterates. Before you get into politics, you ought to know what you're talking about and be able to hold an intelligent and thoughtful conversations about the issues. Local politicians and indeed the community respect you when you have better information at hand. That alone makes you a point of reference in your locality. Therefore, read your local newspaper(s), statewide newspapers and national newspapers. Be alive on the social media for information.

8. Get involved in your Community:
Attend Landlords/Residents meetings. Network with and be in good terms with local groups e.g The Vigilante, etc. Build coalitions dedicated to changing and improving your town such as the CDA or Tribal Unions. PTA meetings and Cooperative Societies are equally good places to be for upcoming politicians.

9. Build character and good name:
A good name is better than silver and gold. As corrupt as our society is, a good name still speaks volume. Strive to build for yourself and generations after you a good name. In whatever capacity you are entrusted with responsibility, make a good opportunity to leave a lasting impression in the hearts of the people.

10. If you must contest, start small:
There is no spirituality in insisting that certain offices are too small for you. Start from the grassroots and gradually work your way to the top. "All politics is local."
I don't totally agree with number 10, because the smaller you start, the more enemy you make as you climb. So you may end up never getting to the top. Cos at every stage you make enemies each time you defeat an opponent.

Secondly, destinies are different. Some start from the middle and still get there. Consider this situation, you are being offered appointment because of your intelligence or constructive thinking and from there you make your name like The Kingsley moghalus , Okonjo iweala, I've kachiukwu etc and then you decided to contest for something big and end up winning....?
Re: How To Join Politics by chinemerem(m): 6:37am On May 20, 2018
@mathinips Thank you very much for this. I couldn't agree more with you. I hope all well meaning Nigerian youths who want to bring about real change take these points.
Unfortunately, politics at a grassroots level is still fiercely tribal. So for instance, an Igbo man that lives in Lagos will struggle for relevance in his ward in Lagos. That leaves the option to make frequent trips to his village for political activities
Re: How To Join Politics by SirLakes: 6:53am On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:
die well brother sad
Lol cheesy...mean
Re: How To Join Politics by SirLakes: 6:55am On May 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

Look for people from your state who also do politics and be members of a party from XYZ state based in Abj.

Try connect with the Senator or HoR member from your locality.

It takes time. But loyalty is crucial. Stick with one big gun and run errands for him/her if needs be.

Reward might be little to begin. But it can grow.

Errands like helping him arrange some boys to go deal with someone cheesy
Re: How To Join Politics by sirbiolee(m): 7:31am On May 20, 2018
Omojudy:
I wan join APC. Who knows where there ward office dey for agege. Abi no be there you go apply to carry card?

Don't stress urself.. Ask any of APC members you knw in ur street.. I bliv dey will show u the way.. #Politics is sweet for those that av tasted the sweetness..
Re: How To Join Politics by ticon4life(m): 7:41am On May 20, 2018
Thanks.
Re: How To Join Politics by phemflex90(m): 7:46am On May 20, 2018
Omojudy:
I wan join APC. Who knows where there ward office dey for agege. Abi no be there you go apply to carry card?
I'm also in agege and I want to join APC too.
Re: How To Join Politics by AreaFada2: 10:17am On May 20, 2018
SirLakes:

Errands like helping him arrange some boys to go deal with someone cheesy

Oh thugs already abound. No need.

More like helping him/her cover the trails of looted money. grin grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: How To Join Politics by James4424: 10:52am On May 20, 2018
Of all the good things in this world is politics you want me to join. No thank you
Re: How To Join Politics by dratine(m): 10:57am On May 20, 2018
itiswellandwell:
Hmmmmm. Nice points though but i disagree, this isn't applicable to Nigeria. Just know one Oga at the top and you are on top of your political career.
Brother with those points highlighted by the op I bet you,you can be that oga at the top. QED. Thumb up op

Check my signature for your quality customised Atm card flash drive.
Re: How To Join Politics by deebrownneymar: 11:16am On May 20, 2018
Very helpful
Re: How To Join Politics by BishopZion(m): 1:54pm On May 20, 2018
You didn't acknowledge the original writer. It was written by Hon Bimbo Kolade, a commissioner in Oyo state.
Re: How To Join Politics by APL33: 5:09pm On May 20, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I don't see the word 'godfather' or occult anywhere on your writeup.

OP, do you realize Nigeria is the context of this guide?
Please be more realistic.
This to me isn't practical.

Number 5, relate well with leaders/elders
Re: How To Join Politics by cuteralph101(m): 12:52pm On May 21, 2018
mathinips:
HOW TO JOIN POLITICS

Having convinced you that you can actually be actively involved in politics without contesting elections, let's consider the steps you need to take to get started.

1. Identify your Ward:
The ward is the smallest unit of Government in Politics. The Political Head of a Ward is called Councilor. Every politician must compulsorily be a card-carrying member of a political party at the ward level. This however is with the exception of those who choose to contest election as or support independent candidates. Your ward is not necessarily your home town but the locality where you will most conveniently carry out your political activities. It is also advisable that you also register with INEC as a voter in this ward.

2. Make the Choice of Political Party:
Consider the available political parties in your area and make a choice. I advise you study the manifesto and constitution of the party you want to join and agree that you align with her. Unfortunately, in Nigeria's nascent democracy, ideology is not well defined in the existing political parties, therefore, they almost share basic ideologies.

3. Get involved in Ward activities:
The least you can do as a politician is to attend your ward meetings. Get deeply involved at this stage. Contribute at meetings and assist once in a while in footing party bills either in kind or cash. This not easy and takes time and plenty of efforts. Once in a while, sponsor refreshments at meetings or volunteer to transport some members to meetings or other activities.

4. Identify like-minded believers in the party to relate with:
This is very important as decision are taken in politics based on majority of opinions. It is important that you align with your own class of people to ensure that decisions taken are not to the disadvantage of your interest.

5. Relate Well With The leaders:
That you want to make changes in the politics of your environment does not mean castigating existing leaders. Celebrate them for the good they have done and be silent on their evils, at least for a start. Success in politics is about who you know and not necessarily what you know.

6. Volunteer to be part of Campaigns/Party Activities:
Every political campaign and political activity needs hard workers. If you want to get an idea of how politics really work, walk into any campaign office of a candidate and offer to help out. You'll likely be asked to do what appears to be menial work at first, things like helping to register new voters or making phone calls and/or test messages on behalf of a candidate. But if you do the job well, you'll be given more responsibilities and more visible roles in the campaign.

7. Pay attention to Political Information: Unfortunately many are political illiterates. Before you get into politics, you ought to know what you're talking about and be able to hold an intelligent and thoughtful conversations about the issues. Local politicians and indeed the community respect you when you have better information at hand. That alone makes you a point of reference in your locality. Therefore, read your local newspaper(s), statewide newspapers and national newspapers. Be alive on the social media for information.

8. Get involved in your Community:
Attend Landlords/Residents meetings. Network with and be in good terms with local groups e.g The Vigilante, etc. Build coalitions dedicated to changing and improving your town such as the CDA or Tribal Unions. PTA meetings and Cooperative Societies are equally good places to be for upcoming politicians.

9. Build character and good name:
A good name is better than silver and gold. As corrupt as our society is, a good name still speaks volume. Strive to build for yourself and generations after you a good name. In whatever capacity you are entrusted with responsibility, make a good opportunity to leave a lasting impression in the hearts of the people.

10. If you must contest, start small:
There is no spirituality in insisting that certain offices are too small for you. Start from the grassroots and gradually work your way to the top. "All politics is local."
am contesting for councilor
Re: How To Join Politics by Omojudy: 1:28pm On May 21, 2018
phemflex90:
I'm also in agege and I want to join APC too.
Investigate for us na!
Re: How To Join Politics by Omojudy: 1:30pm On May 21, 2018
sirbiolee:

Don't stress urself.. Ask any of APC members you knw in ur street.. I bliv dey will show u the way.. #Politics is sweet for those that av tasted the sweetness..
Na em be the problem. I dey stay one kind estate Wey everyone lock em self inside no those kind people to ask
Re: How To Join Politics by AndrewFarms(m): 6:32pm On May 21, 2018
Ekiseme:
As a member of the comment readers association of Nairaland (CRAN), I'm only here to read comments, please keep it short and simple, except for the savages,

We do appreciate your typing efforts, also please watch your spellings.

We suppose get list for this association sef
Do count me in....

Thank you.
Re: How To Join Politics by Ajisebioyolaari: 6:46pm On May 21, 2018
cuteralph101:
am contesting for councilor
have councillorship elections not being concluded? I think it was conducted few weeks ago
Re: How To Join Politics by sirbiolee(m): 10:36am On May 22, 2018
Omojudy:

Na em be the problem. I dey stay one kind estate Wey everyone lock em self inside no those kind people to ask

Stay Lowkey bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Releases Final List Of Candidates For The Osun State Governorship Election / Bauchi, Gombe Fight Over New Oil Wells / New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.