Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos (81213 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by GrammarCheck: 10:32pm On May 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

Chineke meh!!! You don finish am finish!!!

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by billyG(m): 10:32pm On May 20, 2018
i doubt if d artifacts was stolen,which potter will not sell his pottery for a few naira more.d benins needs british pound,d british needs bronze artifacts,d benins hav spent d pounds(cakes),d british still hav their cake(artifacts).
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by sapeleboi(m): 1:31am On May 21, 2018
black panther grin
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Mikeross62: 1:40am On May 21, 2018
OneKinGuy:
Returning it back to Nigeria will just add more spiritual problems for us. Lets just leave it there for the time being undecided
gbam
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by dfrost: 2:20am On May 21, 2018
martineverest:
and oba was able to manage them in over 400 yrs even without technology?.....they were in palace as artefact,decorations,memorabilia and sacred objects....nobody could steal any until British came

I guess you are right. Didn't see it from that angle. Thanks for pointing it out.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by chukxie(m): 3:29am On May 21, 2018
The British were the first 'Yahoo' men. They were the first con men of the industrial era. They stole, pillaged, stripped bare the nations they subjugated and in some cases committed heinous acts of murder and rape. From Africa to Asia, they conquered and plundered nations; and stealing droves upon droves of tangible cultural artifacts. I'm sorry to say those of you who believe the Benin cultural artifacts on display at the British museum are better off there than in Benin, Nigeria, don't know what you are saying. Do you know how much the British government is paying China to continue keeping and displaying stolen artifacts from China in Britian? Do you know the Chinese government is using Chinese collectors to buy back stolen Chinese cultural artifacts scattered all over the world? You guys should not rubbish our cultural artifacts simply because we are not a well-off nation.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 3:54am On May 21, 2018
Bera leave Orisa for yonda...
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by flyingdutchman(m): 4:15am On May 21, 2018
Please, is it made from Vibranium
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by beneezy(m): 5:42am On May 21, 2018
YOUNGELDER1:
They should please return them.
Those are not the best that were stolen. Those are just a few that were stolen.
We have tonnes of African arts works. None of which are appreciated by Africans. Too many black arts, none of which are been appreciated.
Arts that were stolen is only a signal /message for us to look inward what we have, develop them and appreciate them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by MaziEDOZIE(m): 7:25am On May 21, 2018
EFCC will not read this now and go after Britain for high Theft, but will be fast to show themselves when Nigerians take something from them via Yahoo,Ndi-Ara!!!
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by misterjosh(m): 7:32am On May 21, 2018
Sad truth is if all these artworks had remained in Nigeria, they would never have been maintained this well.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by obi123: 9:34am On May 21, 2018
they should bring it back indeed, does Nigeria know what special collection is? do we have a clue how to preserve and conserve items of important value. Where are these items stored?

and how did he know they were stolen?
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:42pm On May 21, 2018
nceesam:

Him be Kilmonger

Hehehehehehehe

hahahahhaha

i cannot laff

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:42pm On May 21, 2018
Ellabae:
cheesy u funny gan

Abi now , wetin person for talk ?? thanks jare
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:43pm On May 21, 2018
MisterGrace:

I used to have a colleague with a negative mindset as you.
I dumped him out of my pursuit. Today, he's still job hunting and I own a consulting firm and
a small factory.

Excuse us , i have a registered company , i produce paints , lay tiles and i'm learning 3D flooring , your Negative mindset comment does not apply here , sorry you had to messup
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:43pm On May 21, 2018
dfrost:

Killmonger cheesy. The guy wan form Black Panther

Who black am ? he no even get 6 congo , talkless of 6 packs
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:44pm On May 21, 2018
Ddy:

He is a couragious man......who are u?

I am me ,
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 12:48pm On May 21, 2018
Saviour22:
hahahaha I no fit laugh grin

Laught never tire me ooooo
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by MisterGrace: 1:19pm On May 21, 2018
HtwoOw:

Excuse us , i have a registered company , i produce paints , lay tiles and i'm learning 3D flooring , your Negative mindset comment does not apply here , sorry you had to messup

Still doesn't change the fact that you have a negative mindset.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 1:22pm On May 21, 2018
MisterGrace:

press red
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 21, 2018
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 21, 2018
dainformant:
A Nigerian man visited the British Museum to request that the Benin kingdom artifacts which were allegedly stolen since 1897, be returned. The entrepreneur and philanthropist, Ambassador Dion Osagie from Edo state - revealed that his visit to the museum on the quest of recovering the items was worth more than anything to him.

The British museum boasts the second largest collection of art from the Benin kingdom after the Ethnological Museum in Berlin.

It has been reported that the British Museum will host a summit along with other European museums to discuss the return of bronze artifacts looted in 1897 from the kingdom of Benin, now southern Nigeria. It will conduct negotiations with Nigeria and Benin about returning the items which are expected to go on permanent display in Benin City.

In the late 19th century, Britain sought to wipe out the kingdom of Benin in what became known as the “punitive expedition.” When Oba Ovonramwen, then ruler of Benin, imposed customs duties on goods leaving the territory, Britain sent 1,200 white soldiers who led thousands more black british troops (the canon fodders) to destroy the kingdom as a form of reparations for the colonial power.

BENIN city (THE CAPITAL OF BENIN INGDOM) was set on fire and hundreds of trinkets, bronze sculptures, and valuables were stolen and later handed to the British government. Through trade and art dealership, these artifacts have mostly ended up in Germany and the United States.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/05/stolen-benin-kingdom-artifacts-spotted-at-a-british-museum.html
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Simbrixton(m): 8:27pm On May 21, 2018
Born2Breed:

It's the general stereotype there. I schooled,served and worked there.....

I like your moniker
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by dfrost: 9:39pm On May 21, 2018
HtwoOw:

Who black am ? he no even get 6 congo , talkless of 6 packs

cheesy grin 6 congo ke? shocked
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 8:10am On May 22, 2018
Nor does it change the fact that you are a judgemental freak
MisterGrace:

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by MisterGrace: 8:57am On May 22, 2018
HtwoOw:
Nor does it change the fact that you are a judgemental freak

You don't go emotional and start claiming victim.
You underrated a zealous patriot who is fighting a cause.

And I pointed out your negativity.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by HtwoOw: 9:25am On May 22, 2018
That's not fighting a cause , even if it were , the mannerism is Hilarious, how can you be a visitor somewhere . being of no substance or anything, you are now reporting that you told them to return the antiques with immediate effect ? I mean that's hilarious , not negativity i bet he didn't even meet any curator or attendant

MisterGrace:

You don't go emotional and start claiming victim.
You underrated a zealous patriot who is fighting a cause.

And I pointed out your negativity.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Spartacuslastman(m): 6:31pm On May 22, 2018
Patrick33:
Shae you saw what kilmonger did in black panther...oya do the same... goodluck bro

over rated movie
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Patrick33(m): 8:33pm On May 22, 2018
Spartacuslastman:

over rated movie
bros no be one we dey talk now first na...we know it was overated
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Spartacuslastman(m): 9:40pm On May 22, 2018
Patrick33:
bros no be one we dey talk now first na...we know it was overated

i Gat no chill wen it come to black panther i have watch this film over 7 times still don't enjoy it
i mean no offence

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Patrick33(m): 2:30am On May 23, 2018
Spartacuslastman:

i Gat no chill wen it come to black panther i have watch this film over 7 times still don't enjoy it
i mean no offence
hehehe...you know blacks na..getting our own superhero flick we had to hype as usual..
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Spartacuslastman(m): 8:01am On May 23, 2018
Patrick33:
hehehe...you know blacks na..getting our own superhero flick we had to hype as usual..
i think the hype came from that stupid marvel

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aminu Sanusi Lamido Becomes A Police Officer (Photos) / Can You Count From One To A Thousand In Your Local Dialect ? / Machina: Yobe Community Where Snakes Are Friends With Human Beings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.