Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? (1739 Views)

Nigeria Needs A Revolution - Pastor Tunde Bakare / SSS On Omojuwa's Tail As He Calls For A Revolution (Pics) / A Revolution In The Making Buhari Bakare (Tears Of Joy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by delvinmaya(m): 8:27am On Mar 19, 2007
[b][/b] Guys i would very much love to ask you, what can we do to move this country forward? do we need a revolution in nigeria just like the french and americans?
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 19, 2007
revolutions scare the crap out of me.

its all too easy for revolutions to devolve into secterian violence with the lower classes against the bourgoise
(remember the reign of terror?)

also, most revolutions, in my opinion, only lead to a rearrangement of the status quo(the old system stays in place(old wine in new bottle), but with different people on top.from then on, its business as usual.

please, please, don't wish for that sort of thing, in any breakdown of law and order, its people like us(the bourgeiose, )that suffer the most.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by abouzaid: 9:03am On Aug 09, 2011
Yes we do, their is hardly any nation today that progressed with out some form of revolution that empowered the masses, be it france, usa,china or even the peace loving indian nationalists
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Rgp92: 9:12am On Aug 09, 2011
Ye we do. Some politicians needs to die!!
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by kodewrita(m): 8:35am On Aug 12, 2011
I would prefer mini-uprisings each targeted at one problem or the other. We need to steadily wrest power away from the corrupt.

The british did it by steadily winning over different rights and powers from their monarchs until they were finally powerful enough to turn them into figureheads.

Same way the shippers and merchants of Hamburg managed to do so.

It will require the assistance of rich nigerians too. They will be in a position to put pressure on the government at critical points.

A bloody revolution? not sure its going to be good. The system is too corrupt to cleaned off by killing a few people.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 12, 2011
When I said a bloody revolution is needed, some attacked my face last year lol,

Some said "The Yorubas should do it this time" as if the 1966 coup was a revolution lol

Revolution is nothing tribal. The Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern political leaders and corrupt ones got to be eliminated!

Else they will run the nation from behind the curtain should "wrestle" power from them, They have to be totally destroyed,

You think if MEND didn't get aggressive anyone will listen to their cries? Ask Ken Saro wiwa after we all die of hunger and preventable diseases, At least he went about it peacefully,

now those who called me names etc, are having a second thought. Well now isn't the time for to say I told y'all so,

So, how do we kill Obasanjo, Odili, Ibori etc, grin grin
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Gbawe: 9:16am On Aug 12, 2011
This topic would not exist if Nigerians had shunned ethnic and religious bigotry to vote for Buhari or Ribadu. Some of us said it over and over again that every single index of comparison confirmed GEJ was , by far, the worst choice possible. The worst AGIP and the most ruinous hands who have destroyed our Nation supported GEJ zealously because they saw a 'kindred spirit' who would protect their interest.  

We all see how GEJ's decisions so far blatantly and disgustingly only favour the 'oligarchs' and "owners of Nigeria". Whatever the fault of Buhari and Ribadu , I know , from their actions , immaterialistic nature and history, we would all have reasons to be optimistic about the future if either had become President instead of GEJ. No one would be talking of a revolution. Most people do not understand that we did not need Jesus Christ sworn in on May 29th . We just needed someone decent and immaterialistic enough to decide that enough is enough of inhuman greed. We had to gain an immaterialistic and brave person.

If we shunned the peaceful revolution of ousting the PDP then we are certainly not ready for a bloody revolution because a revolution of that kind can only be carried out by a totally subjugated people [b]who genuinely want change [/b]and not by those who deliberately voted for the continuation of corruption and mismagement of our commonwealth.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by mbulela: 9:43am On Aug 12, 2011
oyb:

revolutions scare the crap out of me.

its all too easy for revolutions to devolve into secterian violence with the lower classes against the bourgoise
(remember the reign of terror?)

also, most revolutions, in my opinion, only lead to a rearrangement of the status quo(the old system stays in place(old wine in new bottle), but with different people on top.from then on, its business as usual.

please, please, don't wish for that sort of thing, in any breakdown of law and order, its people like us(the bourgeiose, )that suffer the most.
While i share your sentiments the problem is that a revolution as uninspiring as it looks might seem our only avenue for any genuine change.
our need for change is obvious but it is also obvious that the political class we have canot and will not enforce change internally,something has to be done externally.
the political class is bent on self preservation and that status quo tendency is anti change,hence change must be enforced externally and unfortunately it will be bloody.
our diverse ethnicity is our saving grace as it will be difficult to have a revolution without ethnic colouration.But i see no other way out.
our politicians irrespective of the acronym of their afiliation are sworn to preserving the political class and the class has proven over and over again to be nothing but a band of greedy,inept and corrupt gangsters,so what other option do we have?
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by femmy2010(m): 11:32am On Aug 12, 2011
Is Nigeria even redeemable?
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by jarkbauer: 11:56am On Aug 12, 2011
How do we kill babangida. Obj atiku tinubu odili oyinlola nnamani ibori el rufai shetima allison madueke okonjo iweala all the present and former ministers governors except fashola chime and goje. David mark etc. We need to exterminate them. Whoelse remain sef
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by DrummaBoy(m): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2011
A revolution may be successful(Ghana) or fail (Somalia, Liberia, Chad)
Pray for a God instigated one (Jehu, 2 Kings7,11)
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by djustice: 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2011
kodewrita:

I would prefer mini-uprisings each targeted at one problem or the other. We need to steadily wrest power away from the corrupt.

The british did it by steadily winning over different rights and powers from their monarchs until they were finally powerful enough to turn them into figureheads.

Same way the shippers and merchants of Hamburg managed to do so.

It will require the assistance of rich nigerians too. They will be in a position to put pressure on the government at critical points.

A bloody revolution? not sure its going to be good. The system is too corrupt to cleaned off by killing a few people.

I agree with you. Let's start with the corrupt Judiciary. Look at the way a judge indicted for perjury and consorting with politicians with cases before him has been asked to APOLOGISE for perjury, a criminal offence carrying a jail term. Not only that, Justice Ayo Salami has been allowed to continue as the President of the Court of Appeal. That is a slap on all right-thinking Nigerians and a disgrace to our country.

Let's target him with protests in EVERY WAY and on EVERY DAY until he is removed from office.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Fhemmmy: 4:11pm On Aug 12, 2011
Nigeria dont even know what she needs . . . .
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 12, 2011
Yes we need a very bloody revolution that will start with the arrest of Obj and violent murder of IBB
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by kodewrita(m): 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2011
blink182:

Yes we need a very bloody revolution that will start with the arrest of Obj and violent murder of IBB

and that will change the system right? Yes our parents have been parroting this stuff and we have now inherited that but seriously is that the best way to do that?

I dont think so.

NITEL was exploiting us for years. making us queue in lines just to speak for 10 mins.
making us pay for calls we didnt make. what killed them? Progress. GSM killed them off and rendered miles of copper wire useless.

I believe we can do that too in some ways.

Wanna change nigeria? throw your hat in the ring. Gather people together and run for office, then act different when you get there. If you keep impressing us, we will keep voting you in all the way to that guarded villa.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 15, 2011
^^^
You made a very good point
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Krucifax(m): 12:15am On Aug 17, 2011
Nigeria most definitely does not need a revolution in the vein to which you are alluding. The reasons why are plentiful but let me state a few.

1. National Character: It pains to say it but Nigerians do not have a good sense of oneness. Nigerians as "country men" undecided are particularly fractured along ethnic and religious lines.This means revolutions and attendant sectarian violence would be particularly bad(i.e Tutsi,Hutu carnage in Rwanda).

2. Legacy of Revolutions: If the history of revolutions the world over has taught us anything is that for it to be effective it must be followed by drastic and effective reforms(i.e so called Arab Spring). Reforms in of themselves are futile without the good will of all and more importantly a generally agreed consensus to work towards the betterment of all.(i.e American constitution after freedom from the Brits). I do not know of any political leader in Nigeria with a real blueprint for change so that's reforms in the bin. I also do not know Nigerians to have that general notion of loving his neighbour and wanting betterment for all. Is not a lie to say a good chunk (not all) are unbelievable selfish.

3.Aftermath of Revolutions: Truth is a nation as riotous as Nigeria could do without a Revolution. The infrastructure and economy is barely able to sustain the needs of the populace in so called good times,but throw in a revolution and you have set Nigeria back many many years

My solution? Far it be from me to suggest one as it suggests arrogance, but I'd humbly say a slow and painful march to improvement can be attained by effective education,positive political participation,observance of rule of law,transparency,accountability also simple and forgotten things like respect and love of your fellow human being. The list whilst non-exhaustive is "my cents worth".

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by jaafice: 1:43am On Aug 17, 2011
whats the next step then, i am fully ready for that.,.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 1:45am On Aug 17, 2011
Rgp92:

Ye we do. Some politicians needs to die!!

Yea, that's the perfect solution. As if some of our past politicians are/were immortal.

Thank God I'm out of that landfill called Nigeria.
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by kodewrita(m): 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, that's the perfect solution. As if some of our past politicians are/were immortal.

Thank God I'm out of that landfill called Nigeria.

for calling it a landfill, you will definitely need a visa to be allowed back in **angry red face**
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
Revolution? I think not
So I have been hearing increasing murmurs by young people saying that a "revolution" is the only way to change Nigeria.

The most common definition of a revolution is "an overthrow (usually violent), and thorough replacement of an established government, or political system by the people governed".

At face value, this is actually the solution to the problem in Nigeria. However, from my experience it is not, and I will give just one example why, so I will not bore you.

Aper Aku was governor of Benue state from 1979 to 1983 before he, like the rest of the Shagari administration was kicked out in ignominy (for the sake of this history lesson, he died a broken man, of jail induced ill-health in 1988).

One thing that is most instructive is that a good 70% of projects in present day Benue state, were started by Mr. Aku! Most were abandoned after he was kicked out of power. Bear in mind that there was this state creation exercise that split a part of Aper Aku's domain into Kogi state.

One of such projects is a hotel on the banks of the Benue River, the Sheraton, which was left abandoned until last year. Some geezer from Niger came to Makurdi, got government consent, and began renovation work, then he was stopped.

Why was he stopped?

Some local politicians decided in their wisdom that since he is not a Tiv man, he cannot own such a big project on Tiv soil. The locals rejoiced because the Tiv "bigmen" had "protected" the sanctity of the Tiv heritage.

Of course, it never occurred to any of the celebrating locals that our Nigerien friend's investment would provide jobs that will take on a lot of Tiv boys and girls, in this, Nigeria's 7th most populated state, but 15th in terms of PPP,

Therein, in this anecdotal tale, lies the reason why a Chinese type "people's revolution" in Nigeria is doomed to failure.

Nigeria's population have largely bought into the bullshit spewed forth by our elite that it is the next man from the next ethnic group (I hate the word tribe) that is responsible for our problems. It is not. I have written a lot about how the elite regardless of ethnic or religious affiliation have conspired to keep the country down, no doubt I will write more.

However, that is not the thrust of this piece.

A violent change of guards is predicated on one thing, that the population in question has a sufficient enough sense of national unity and oneness to follow the process through. History bears this out, in France, in Russia, in China, in Cuba.

When the population is deeply divided along ethnic or religious lines, the revolution quickly degenerates into anarchy. History again bears this out, The Peasant's Revolt in England in 1381, The Indian Revolt against the British East India Company of 1857, the second Russian revolution, the rebels in today's Libya who in reality are fighting amongst themselves as much as they are fighting against Gadaffi,

Nigeria, sadly has a largely ignorant population, yes, even those who have Doctorates are largely ignorant of their own country and its peoples. What is worse, is that most Nigerians are ignorant of our own history. A violent revolution will only lead to anarchy. What we need here, is a revolution of our minds. We need real education.

from chxta's blog
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 17, 2011
kodewrita:

for calling it a landfill, you will definitely need a visa to be allowed back in **angry red face**

OR I could just pay one of your ppl in the embassy $1 to get me back in tongue
Re: Does Nigeria Need A Revolution To Move Forward? by kodewrita(m): 7:57am On Aug 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

OR I could just pay one of your ppl in the embassy $1 to get me back in tongue
sorry ma'am the going rate is $10000 or no show.

(1) (Reply)

Zik And Balewa Conspired Against Awolowo / Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? / Crude Oil In Festac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.