Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,508 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:51 PM

Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain (1862 Views)

Oyo Government Reacts To Ibadan Explosion, Urges Residents To Remain Calm / Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / See The Chinese Bullet Trains That Can Travel Betw. Lagos & Abuja & Back In 5hrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by engwari(f): 4:10pm On May 22, 2018
copied from www.quora.com
I have seen various Chinese who are exploring their business in the wild land. Reasons are many, and I’ll try to list some as I know.

Chinese do master many technologies and skills that Africans don’t. My friend is a farmer.

In China, farming won’t make people rich and only the elder people who are not wanted by job opportunities in cities and factories farm. When he was employed as a construction worker, he surprisingly found how rare the varieties of vegetables were. Then after he finished the contract, he bought 50 acres of farmland at a river side in Ghana. He bought pumps and tractors and buried hoses underground. Then he planted various vegetables on it and supplied them to restaurants and Chinese communities.

Previously, vegetables like colorful peppers were imported either from South Africa or Europe by International Supermarkets and the prices are very high. Of course the work is hard but the earning is higher than that he made as an employee. Later, my friend hired some local people and expanded his business to cigarettes and wine supplying thanks to their vegetable delivery service. He became even a social central man among the Chinese population in Greater Accra Region.
Enterprise opportunities are many for ordinary Chinese. African officials are easier to deal with than their Chinese counterparts. Corruption is a sub-rule in both China and Africa. But in China, they won’t accept a random bidder’s bribe if there is no middle man and the cash deposit can be very high and beyond what an ordinary Chinese can afford. But in Africa, it is much easier. The contractor who decorated our shops came to Ghana as a carpenter. Later on he learnt to design and decorate houses because furniture and decoration merging is a trend in China. 3 years later, he managed to get a contract to build a section of road, which surprised me a lot.

In China, road building was a profitable but high threshold. He has finished lifting his own social class by coming to Africa.
Far less fierce competition. In Ghana, the commodity price is 3–4 times higher than that in China. In China, running a 200 square meters supermarket won’t make you rich, but in Africa it can. In China, operating several printing shops can feed your family and pay your apartment mortgage in a 2nd tier city but can’t buy you a villa in Shanghai and allow your whole extended family to fly to Chiang Mai for vacations in 5-star resorts several times a year, but in Africa it can.Many common facilities and resources are scarce in Africa.

In one of my answers I mentioned, one Chinese doctor owns the first and only lithotripter in Ghana. Of course this monopoly status brings him high margin.

Normally, those Chinese who come to Africa are of lower social class and less education. They can normally get lifted after starting a business in Africa.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by aragonchuks(m): 4:13pm On May 22, 2018
F
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 22, 2018
You are very correct.

A wise Chinese man (who owns a hotel here in Lagos) once said "the problem with Nigeria is that Nigerians don't know that they don't really have a problem, this country is abnormally blessed" He went on to say this is the best country in the world.

May thunder from Zeus, Thor, Indra, Sango, Amadioha combined strike down all the people making this country hard for us.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by HallaDaTruth: 4:51pm On May 22, 2018
Stop hiring chinese People to do jobs that Africans can do . Africans with low self-esteem .

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 22, 2018
HallaDaTruth:
Stop hiring chinese People to do jobs that Africans can do . Africans with low self-esteem .

We worship any skin slightly brighter than ours. The mentality is so deeply rooted that only expatriates get the best paying jobs in Africa
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by chimbago(f): 8:42pm On May 22, 2018
Op, why not indicate that you copied this post from quora.com
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by engwari(f): 10:42am On Jul 19, 2018
I did
chimbago:
Op, why not indicate that you copied this post from quora.com
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Grupo(m): 6:28pm On Jul 20, 2018
While it is true that there are lots of opportunities in this country, let's not forget the fact that some of those Indians and Chinese make it here because they are foreigners.

It is a known fact that Africans like patronizing anything foreign. Even the article admitted that some of the Chinese were barely educated, yet they were awarded road contracts. Tell me, how many civil engineering graduates get contracts to construct even culverts in this country?

Those Indians and Chinese we make kings here are barely artisans in their place. So, this narrative of saying that Chinese and Indians come here and make it is already stale.

Let a Nigerian decide to start supplying vegetables today and see if fellow Nigerians, restaurants and the government would patronize him. But let a Chinese start doing the same today,and you will see how everyone would be in queue to patronize him.

The problem of Nigerians is inferiority complex and until we deal with it, we will continue making Chinese and Indians who are artisans in their own place heroes here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by chukxie(m): 12:46am On Jul 21, 2018
You see there are a lot of reasons why an ordinary Chinese man/ women would move to the remotest parts of Africa, settle down and in a few years he/ she is made. First, sadly but true most African countries have problems with corruption. Chinese people know this, and they exploit it to their advantage. A Chinese woman I met at the Abuja airport told me with money one can get anything done in Nigeria. She boasted she had contacts of some top police officers; some politicians, bank executives, some first class traditional leaders... She even showed me photos she took with some powerful people like Fashola, Emir of Kano, Ambode...Second, Chinese people are hardworking. You heard me right. They're extremely hardworking. Africans are hardworking too. But the Chinese beat us to it especially when it comes to manual labour. Chinese labourers work an average of twelve hours per day. Third, Chinese people traveling and settling in Africa are becoming more bold when investing money. In the past Chinese business people would invest in areas they were familiar with. But these days they are moving into into grey areas like real estate, farming, and even local commodities production. Lastly, Chinese folks are making it big in Africa because the African continent is offering them the ideal environment for their businesses to thrive.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by aariwa(m): 2:15am On Jul 21, 2018
Its because we never see the good and juicy side of Africa

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by engwari(f): 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2018
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
aariwa:
Its because we never see the good and juicy side of Africa
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by engwari(f): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2018
You sure cheesy
chukxie:
You see there are a lot of reasons why an ordinary Chinese man/ women would move to the remotest parts of Africa, settle down and in a few years he/ she is made. First, sadly but true most African countries have problems with corruption. Chinese people know this, and they exploit it to their advantage. A Chinese woman I met at the Abuja airport told me with money one can get anything done in Nigeria. She boasted she had contacts of some top police officers; some politicians, bank executives, some first class traditional leaders... She even showed me photos she took with some powerful people like Fashola, Emir of Kano, Ambode...Second, Chinese people are hardworking. You heard me right. They're extremely hardworking. Africans are hardworking too. But the Chinese beat us to it especially when it comes to manual labour. Chinese labourers work an average of twelve hours per day. Third, Chinese people traveling and settling in Africa are becoming more bold when investing money. In the past Chinese business people would invest in areas they were familiar with. But these days they are moving into into grey areas like real estate, farming, and even local commodities production. Lastly, Chinese folks are making it big in Africa because the African continent is offering them the ideal environment for their businesses to thrive.
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Rubyjade: 11:30am On Mar 08, 2022
wink
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Cousin9999: 4:22am On Mar 09, 2022
1. Many Chinese who go to Africa (and everywhere else) are part of criminal organizations, prisoners sent as "workers," or tr4fficked by other Chinese.

2. Many Chinese fail in Africa because they don't know anything about the market, no one wants their junk, and people generally don't want to do business with a degenerate.

3. Chinese bred like rats for millennia because all their people wanted to do was slaughter each other to be king. They continued this practice believing it still made sense. Now, they find themselves living on a mostly frozen and desert rock without enough to properly sustain them. The one child policy didn't do much. The government uses a lot of its resources to get rid of people. They basically build entire communities including businesses in Africa to get rid of their people.
Re: Why Do Many Of The Chinese Who Go To Work In Africa Prefer To Remain by Cousin9999: 4:43am On Mar 09, 2022
engwari:
copied from www.quora.com
I have seen various Chinese who are exploring their business in the wild land. Reasons are many, and I’ll try to list some as I know

No person refers to Africa as such unless they live in the woods and have no education, or they're r3t4rded.

Chinese do master many technologies and skills that Africans don't.

No, no they don't. They simply copy what oyinbos give them on a silver platter since they've agreed to be the world's sweat shop (no labor laws, cheap labor).

In China, farming won’t make people rich and only the elder people who are not wanted by job opportunities in cities and factories farm.

Anyone who believes this is a m0rOn. Agribusiness is a $884M industry in China averaging 7% annual growth.

When he was employed as a construction worker, he surprisingly found how rare the varieties of vegetables were...

Previously, vegetables like colorful peppers were imported either from South Africa or Europe by International Supermarkets and the prices are very high.

This is so powerfully dūmb that I'm not sure how to respond.

He became even a social central man among the Chinese population in Greater Accra Region.

The guy is a loser who probably had to fly in a village girl with no options just so he'd have a wife.

Normally, those Chinese who come to Africa are of lower social class and less education. They can normally get lifted after starting a business in Africa.

Their social class doesn't change no matter what lifestyle they're able to have in Africa. And nothing they have in Africa is even really theirs. They don't actually own it. lol

(1) (Reply)

France Working,reunion, Student And Other Visa Categories Let's Network / If You Are Planning On Moving Back To Naija (read This) / Someone Help, I Think Am Roasting In Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.