Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. (7928 Views)

Special Powerful Massage Hammer For The Body. / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / Does Alcohol Affects The Brain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Viciyke(m): 6:17pm On May 26, 2010
Personally, i don't drink much, infact i don't call myself a drinker cos i rarely drink alcholic drinks like Star, Stout, Heineken etc. I take such drinks (Star or Heineken) maybe once or twice in a month.

My observation is that whenever i do take these drinks, i start to urinate almost instantly on a regular basis and i ask myself whats d fun in drinking dat makes people go crazy taking upto ten bottles of alcholic drinks cos personally, its waste of money 2 me.

Note: i only take these drinks on social gatherings.

Please i need reasonable response. Tnks.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by teenluv(f): 6:33pm On May 26, 2010
Good for you at a low dose for cardiac protection and excite you but at a high dose it makes you to urinate then sedate you. You would want to attain formal level of excitement but this can only be possible at an increasingly higher dose later u become addicted. If you try to stop it you convulse. So if you were given a bottle of beer you will now think it is a cure for the convulsion. You were the author of the convulsion and the beer is not the cure. please stop now before these come to pass.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by erniewhez(m): 7:55pm On May 26, 2010
hello, I run a club, I drink everyday, but I am a very busy person, I run other biz and ends up at my bar after closing, it helps me manage my stress. But to tell u the truth, if u cant control alcohol giv it up, its not good for u. If u can handle it dnt abuse it; its better for u. If u cant control abusing it, ure nearing ur grave. So i will advice you to stay off.
THATS THE HONEST TRUTH. Now note this, when under the influence of alcohol, ure the most blunt and intelligent person. Take it or leave it. BUT MEDICALLY ITS NOT GOOD FOR ANYONE TO ABUSE IT. AFTER EVERY BOTTLE TRY TAKE A CUP OF WATER IF U MUST DRINK.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by lysaa(f): 11:56am On May 28, 2010
This is a very good topic and i wish we get reasonable replies.

I don't do alcoholic drinks. .they do me every time i try. I think its a good thing for me sha cos I don't seem to get what it does to ppl other than a display of folly and despicable acts. I even get high on blood tonic. shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Kx: 12:02pm On May 28, 2010
It gives nothing to the people that drinks,they know this.
They cant quit cos they are addicted to it.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by technuzu: 12:04pm On May 28, 2010
YES it does!
Disease to your liver and a lowering of your reasoning faculty so you loose your sense of self respect. Too much alchohol over the years leads to addiction and results to "shaking" or quaking of the limbs and body - a common withdrawal symptom.
Unlike most young people would think. The number of beer bottles you can consume at a go is no test of manhood. You are actually headed for an early grave.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 12:06pm On May 28, 2010
erniewhez:

hello,  I run a club, I drink everyday, but I am a very busy person, I run other biz and ends up at my bar after closing, it helps me manage my stress. But to tell u the truth, if u cant control alcohol giv it up, its not good for u. If u can handle it dnt abuse it; its better for u. If u cant control abusing it, ure nearing your grave. So i will advice you to stay off.
THATS THE HONEST TRUTH. Now note this, when under the influence of alcohol, ure the most blunt and intelligent person. Take it or leave it. BUT MEDICALLY ITS NOT GOOD FOR ANYONE TO ABUSE IT. AFTER EVERY BOTTLE TRY TAKE A CUP OF WATER IF U MUST DRINK.

verily verily i say onto thee that flesh and blood did not reveal this thing to you!

Obviously poster doesnt drink. Let me put it this way, its like madness u wont know how it is until u get involved. Moderation is key and too much also messes up your libido- gives the desire but takes away the ability if u know wat i mean.But on the whole shak is good. smiley

lysaa:

This is a very good topic and i wish we get reasonable replies.

I don't do alcoholic drinks. .they do me every time i try. I think its a good thing for me sha cos I don't seem to get what it does to ppl other than a display of folly and despicable acts. I even get high on blood tonic. shocked  lipsrsealed  grin grin grin

what exactly is a good thing for you? its not clear ma.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by oisehumen(m): 12:08pm On May 28, 2010
One thing alcohol does to the body; it [size=8pt][size=8pt]destroys[/size][/size] it. Can u count how many people alcohol has sent to their early graves? Did you read yesterday's edition of PM News? A drunk Okada rider lost his life along acme road, Ogba, Lagos. He collided on the median which divides the two lanes.

It is the bitter truth people often hate to hear.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by oisehumen(m): 12:10pm On May 28, 2010
One thing alcohol does to the body; it DESTROYS it. Can u count how many people alcohol has sent to their early graves? Did you read yesterday's edition of PM News? A drunk Okada rider lost his life along acme road, Ogba, Lagos. He collided on the median which divides the two lanes.

It is the bitter truth people often hate to hear.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Joe5(m): 12:16pm On May 28, 2010
And moreover it adds 2 ur xpenses grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by lysaa(f): 12:17pm On May 28, 2010
mrjingles:

verily verily i say onto thee that flesh and blood did not reveal this thing to you!

Obviously poster doesnt drink. Let me put it this way, its like madness u wont know how it is until u get involved. Moderation is key and too much also messes up your libido- gives the desire but takes away the ability if u know wat i mean.But on the whole shak is good. smiley

what exactly is a good thing for you? its not clear ma.
I meant having natural alert on alcohol and that's good to me. At least i'm not open to those display that follow. I'm myself anytime. .i don't need a booster to talk or do any thing ppl think it does.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 12:18pm On May 28, 2010
^ when u say "display" what exactly do you mean?
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by face969: 12:19pm On May 28, 2010
Abeg, booze is good. Concentrate on your ales, lagers and ciders, leave out the hots.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 12:24pm On May 28, 2010
face969:

Abeg, booze is good. Concentrate on your ales, lagers and ciders, leave out the hots.

Youre in da spirit brother! somebody say yeah! yeah!! I like cognac though
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by snthesis(m): 12:30pm On May 28, 2010
its too stupid to say alcohol doesnt do anything to you, on the contrary Alcohol is quite good medically and socially. the key to everything in Life is moderation even too much water could kill u!
p.s
most  intelligent social gatherings have alcohol on the menu, trying to deny it is folly. if you know the number of deals that are completed over a couple of drinks, you would be surprised- its like an enclave where"men" gather.
where/what you drink also matters -it tells alot about you.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by sandee575(f): 12:33pm On May 28, 2010
It depends on your body. Ive been hitting the bottle heavily for three decades
and i can function like someone who never did for this same period. Siga too.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by erniewhez(m): 12:39pm On May 28, 2010
Beer isnt for those that has no control over their brain, its for those that are always composed and knws exactly hw much they need to say "am ok!" I took my 1st beer (star) in 1985 after my WAEC while idle and looking for something to exploit, I went into my brother's fridge for water, but no cold water so i tried the star lol!. But ever since then I hav been on beer, at times occasionally, at times on weekends and recent days i take it almost everyday, cos i run a small club now. but just enough tht i can handle. I have never been drunk and never miss-behave, most pple tht comes across me the first tym drinking never blieved i drink, cos i am always well behaved. Even my Dad, it took him 10yrs 2 knw his son drinks like him, even though i lived with him for about 10yrs. SO PLEASE IF YOU TRY IT AND IT DOESNT WORK FOR YOU, STOP IT. ITS FOR SECLUDED PPLE. And who says it gives nothing? STOUT is a good blood tonic, if not abused.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by erniewhez(m): 12:42pm On May 28, 2010
@sandee575! thanks bro, ure my brand on man! TELL THEM MORE.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by sizzlers(m): 1:09pm On May 28, 2010
not good at all
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by lysaa(f): 1:15pm On May 28, 2010
mrjingles:

^ when u say "display" what exactly do you mean?
stop acting like u don't know. Anyone drunk loses control of himself to a not-near extent. I don't need acohol to bring out the best of me in interactions, presentations or whatever. I;m kinda naturally high. undecided tongue
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by eros(m): 1:37pm On May 28, 2010
Alcohol is not necessarily bad. Moderation is the key word. Although, i will advise you drink more of red wine as it is good for the heart as stated by the study below:

Why Red Wine?:

The benefits of red wine (in moderation) for health have been known for ages. In an effort to understand the 'French Paradox' (why French people can indulge in fatty foods but not develop heart disease) red wine came into focus in 1991 on an episode of '60 Minutes'. Since then, scientists have been feeding components of red wine to mice and other animals in an attempt to understand the full health benefits. Here's what we know so far:

Flavanoids and Antioxidants:

Red wine is high in flavonoids (a type of polyphenol), which are antioxidants. One of the most studied antioxidants is resveratrol, which comes from grape skins and seeds. Antioxidants help prevent certain molecules, known as free radicals, from damaging cells.

Does red wine prevent cancer?:

Resveratrol helps prevent cancer by limiting tumor growth.

How much should I drink?:

To receive the benefits of red wine, it must be drunk in moderation (1-2 glasses maximum per day) and regularly.

Does the alcohol help?:

The alcohol in wine may help produce more good cholesterol.

What if I am a yeast cell?:

Good news: Research in yeast cells has shown that red wine can increase life span by 80%.

But can it cure the common cold?:

Red wine has also been shown to help prevent the common cold.

Red wine and French fries:

Red wine, when consumed with fried foods, may limit the damage caused.

Conclusion:

Hundreds of studies show evidence that red wine, in moderation, is good for us. So go ahead and enjoy a glass or two with dinner.

SOURCE: http://longevity.about.com/od/longevityboosters/p/redwine.htm
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Smartrizz: 1:41pm On May 28, 2010
what of RED WINE? is 13% dangerous too. thou i don't drink but my friend drink once in a while and i complain abt that.

pls advice
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by lysaa(f): 1:42pm On May 28, 2010
don't desire it. .one man's meat is another man's poison tho.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by eros(m): 1:43pm On May 28, 2010
Red Wine - Heart Health benefits?

Written by Gloria Tsang, RD of HealthCastle.com
Published in December 2005

(HealthCastle.com) Does red wine protect against heart disease? Maybe. Many studies investigated the benefits of red wine suggested that moderate amount of red wine (one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men) lowers the risk of heart attack for people in middle age by ~ 30 to 50 percent. It is also suggested that alcohol such as red wine may prevent additional heart attacks if you have already suffered from one. Other studies also indicated that red wine can raise HDL cholesterol (the Good cholesterol) and prevent LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) from forming. Red wine may help prevent blood clots and reduce the blood vessel damage caused by fat deposits. Indeed, studies showed that people from the Mediterranean region who regularly drank red wine have lower risks of heart disease

What's in Red Wine that are good for heart?

Red wine is a particularly rich source of antioxidants flavonoid phenolics, so many studies to uncover a cause for red wine's effects have focused on its phenolic constituents, particularly resveratrol and the flavonoids. Resveratrol, found in grape skins and seeds, increases HDL cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Flavonoids, on the other hand, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaques formation in arteries.

Should I start drinking more red wine now?

The answer is No. Studies showed that alcohol drinking may increase triglycerides (another Bad blood lipids) and result in weight gain due to its empty calories. Other studies also suggested that alcohol consumption is associated with cancer risk. Read Alcohol and Cancer. The American Heart Association cautions people NOT to start drinking if they do not already drink alcohol. If you already drink alcohol, do so in moderation. AHA recommends one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. (A drink is one 12 oz. beer, 4 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of 80-proof spirits, or 1 oz. of 100-proof spirits.)

SOURCE: http://www.healthcastle.com/redwine-heart.shtml
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 1:44pm On May 28, 2010
lysaa:

stop acting like u don't know. Anyone drunk loses control of himself to a not-near extent. I don't need acohol to bring out the best of me in  interactions, presentations or whatever. I;m kinda naturally high.  undecided  tongue

sorry am not very bright but am glad u said anyone drunk, only a fool gets drunk, any serious person does not get drunk. You are naturally high ehn, that means u "display" without prompting? shocked lipsrsealed this is getting very interesting cheesy
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by zoogy2007: 1:45pm On May 28, 2010
You guys just reminded me to have a beer. Thanxs
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Acidosis(m): 1:46pm On May 28, 2010
Alcohol is a filthy drink
It was the devil that sow the seed
It picks your pocket and wreck your account
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by obailala(m): 1:47pm On May 28, 2010
ecclesiastes 10:19 . . .ALCOHOL MAKES THE HEART MERRY. . .It's a very good tonic for relaxation and celebration. It controls a man only if he lets it. Every right thinking adult knows his limit but the problem is that most peeps refuse to be wise. I also understand that a little dose of alcohol prevents heart disease.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by ud4u: 1:57pm On May 28, 2010
It gives nothing to the body, rather it damages
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 1:58pm On May 28, 2010
lysaa am waiting o!
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by osifred(m): 2:01pm On May 28, 2010
i hear medical doctor sometimes recommend some amount of alcoholic drink like guiness to there patient
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by osifred(m): 2:09pm On May 28, 2010
Studies show, for example, that health benefits only come with moderate drinking and are greatest for older men. And even moderate drinking is not recommended for women who are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, or for people who are under 21.

The strongest medical evidence exists for the link between moderate drinking and a reduced risk of heart disease.

Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, an internist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston, was the lead author of a New England Journal of Medicine study examining the roles of drinking patterns and heart disease that found, after 12 year of follow-up, that men who consumed alcohol between three and seven days a week had fewer heart attacks than men who drank once a week.

Below, Mukamal discusses the risk and benefits of moderate drinking.

Do we know why moderate drinking lowers heart disease risk? We think that a lot of the benefits of alcohol are on the blood vessels and on blockages in the arteries to the heart and to the brain. This might be related to alcohol's effect on the good cholesterol, the HDL cholesterol.

In fact, alcohol affects HDL levels just about as strongly as any other lifestyle factor. People also think that alcohol may lower heart attack risk by acting as a blood thinner.

What are some of the other health benefits associated with moderate drinking? A wide variety of health effects have been attributed to moderate drinking. A lower risk of diabetes has been seen in women and men.

There actually have been experiments done in which alcohol was administered over a couple of months to people without diabetes. In those studies, most of which have been conducted in women interestingly, it looks like moderate drinking improves the body's sensitivity to insulin.

It may actually lower insulin levels altogether and may prevent diabetes through that mechanism.

More recently we've done some work on moderate drinking and dementia. We looked at a group of older adults in the United States - average age was in the mid-70s - and found a reduced risk.

There has been some more work in slightly younger populations from Europe, and those studies have fairly consistently suggested that older adults who were drinking moderately may have a lower risk of dementia. We're not exactly sure what the mechanisms may be behind that.

Some of it may very well be because drinking tends to occur in social settings and just the process of getting out and socializing may be an important way to prevent dementia.

There is also evidence that moderate drinking may prevent silent strokes or other subtle types of brain injury that we know over time can predispose to dementia. I think it's still an area where we need some more investigation.

for full detail http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/3968.php

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blood Pressure Chart By Age / What No Body Will Tell You About Kedi Magilim Side Effects (weight Loss Miracle) / How Real Is Yoyo Bitters With Slimming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.