Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (31893 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Be Proud To Speak Hausa Language Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by omoiseselagba: 7:45am On Oct 12, 2014
Tatase:
@ topic,

It's because Hausa is really widely spoken across West Africa even up to Sudan (I think it's spoken in something like 7 or 8 countries total). There's a large Hausa population in Nigeria, and I think in Niger like more than half the population is Hausa, for example. The Hausa services are not just for Nigeria, they broadcast across Africa.

And, although I don't think there are as many Hausa people in the other countries, because it's spoken in several countries, it makes sense for an international broadcaster to have a service in Hausa which appeals to people in more than one country.

you did justice to the question
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by HYBREED(m): 9:12am On Oct 12, 2014
jayzeeguy:
Hi,

Am clueless to why there is Special (International) Hausa Radio channel in England (BBC World Service), Germany (Dutch Welle), China (Hausa Radio) and now France (Hausa RFI) ? not mentioning Libya, Iran and some other countries, why not the other Nigerian tribes e.g. Yoruba, Igbo etc.

Anybody with the clue ?

It is because of the size and density of the hausa people and most importantly hausa speaking people. I have had the opportunity to live in Ghana,togo,benin republic and visited niger once,u won't believe the size of people speaking this language. It was there I got to find out that the hausa language is spoken as far as noukachokt in mauritania and even sudan and ethopia,hence why this international news corps has a programme in hausa. Just like in togo and benin republic where there are yoruba programmes because of the size of the yoruba settlers there. Hausa people has the size.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by OlayemiOniroyin(m): 6:45am On Aug 30, 2016
dagboss:
The reason is simple and i think two or three people have said it in their posts: these radio stations use Hausa Language because of its wide pread speakers all over West Africa and let nobody put up any airs of superiority of the Language or other reasons like that some tribes have abandoned their languages for English. BBC and other international Radio Stations have other Language services Like Russian, Chinese, Swahili etc etc. The important underlining factor is that these stations want to reach the widest audience as possible around the world.

You are right. But most important thing is that, what are doing to promote our own language too?
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by chijiblaze(m): 4:40pm On Sep 15, 2016
Why most international media e.g. BBC VOA RFI DW et.c broadcast in Hausa? Three reasons:
Hausa is an international language, spoken in about 8 countries.
Hausa speakers most usually are unable to communicate in other languages. because of widespread illiteracy and phobia for other cultures among Hausa communities. Hausa people would be uninformed if you don't give them the information in Hausa language.
It's a copycat syndrome. Started by the BBC b4 others followed suit. The British colonial government had given up trying to teach the Hausa people English and instead let their chiefs inform them in whatever way they could.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 3:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

I don't know about that one man, I understand that in Nigeria you may be correct. But in other countries where there are a high presence of Fulani people you may not be so correct.

Even in those countries if there is a significant population of Hausa people you will surely find the Hausa and Fulani closer to each other than with other tribes and vice versa.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 3:18pm On Sep 19, 2016

When the Hausa radio stations like BBC Hausa was created, Hausa wasn't nearly as popular, even in Northern Nigeria as it is today.
so you can't argue that the universality of Hausa in the North is what favoured the creation of international mass media to broadcast in this language. Inffact the fact that BBC and co chose to broadcast in hausa is part of what has facilitated the expansion of the language, and not the other way round (i.e Hausa being chosen for universality)

these foreign media outlets, are among the people contributing the most to the dearth and sublimation of indigenous cultures and languages in Nigeria....... the same way the British were.. and still are promoting Swahili- which has led and continues to lead to the mass extinction of many cultures in Tanzania. .... or like they did in their own backyards to languages like Irish Gaelic (Gaelige) and Celtic........ Thank god Fulanis are too widespread for all that rubbish.
for those smaller tribes with limited geographical depth--- say bye bye to all of them in 50 years time (if not even less sef)

------------
@Fulaman198 thanks for calling me to the other thread.

Are you sure fulfulde will hold its ground in the next 50yrs also ? Even in non Hausa speaking areas the language is slowly yielding especially to French and English languages and the population of its fluent speakers is dwindling by the day, our best bet to preserve the language are the mbororo'en, and even they are gradually settling and the more they settle the more the treat of extinction.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 2:38am On Jan 02, 2017
Baaballiyo:

Even in those countries if there is a significant population of Hausa people you will surely find the Hausa and Fulani closer to each other than with other tribes and vice versa.

Well the thing is this, Let me use the 3 countries I know about the most that have a high population of Hausa and Fulani. We'll start off with our beloved Nigeria, then we will go to Niger Republic and then to Cameroon.

In Nigeria, It is true especially in the Northwest that Fulani are losing their native language to Hausa language. However, in the Northeast States like Taraba, Gombe and Adamawa, it's not necessarily the case. Mbororo'en and settled Fulani can both comprehend Fulfulde and Hausa.

Now in Cameroon, even though we are neighbours, things are the opposite. Where Hausa is the lingua Franca of the North of Nigeria, Fulfulde is the lingua Franca for much of Northern Cameroon. Many groups like the Bute(Vute?) can speak and understand Fulfulde very well and other Bantu groups living in Cameroon. There are even Hausa that speak Fulfulde in Cameroon.

In Niger republic, there are two main regional dialects of Fulfulde. The one in the West which is similar to Maasinakoore and Fulfulde spoken in Northern Benin Republic (Dahomey). Then the dialect in the East, spoken by the Mbororo'en (Wodaabe) similar to the Fulfulde spoken in Adamawa and Taraba states. Many groups in Niger republic do use Hausa as it is the most spoken language there, Tuaregs, Fulanis, Zarma, Toubou (Tebu), Beri-Beri, etc. all use Hausa, but Niger is different in the fact that those groups speak their own languages very well.

In other West African countries, Fulfulde/Pulaar is very alive and well. In Senegal, Mali, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Mauritania, etc. all of those countries have significant Fulani speaking populations and the language is showing absolutely NO SIGNS of dying out in this countries. In fact, there is a Fulani keyboard created by the Fulani Software Engineer from Senegal Malick Sarr.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Funjosh(m): 6:12am On Jan 02, 2017
Fulaman198:

Well the thing is this, Let me use the 3 countries I know about the most that have a high population of Hausa and Fulani. We'll start off with our beloved Nigeria, then we will go to Niger Republic and then to Cameroon.

In Nigeria, It is true especially in the Northwest that Fulani are losing their native language to Hausa language. However, in the Northeast States like Taraba, Gombe and Adamawa, it's not necessarily the case. Mbororo'en and settled Fulani can both comprehend Fulfulde and Hausa.

Now in Cameroon, even though we are neighbours, things are the opposite. Where Hausa is the lingua Franca of the North of Nigeria, Fulfulde is the lingua Franca for much of Northern Cameroon. Many groups like the Bute(Vute?) can speak and understand Fulfulde very well and other Bantu groups living in Cameroon. There are even Hausa that speak Fulfulde in Cameroon.

In Niger republic, there are two main regional dialects of Fulfulde. The one in the West which is similar to Maasinakoore and Fulfulde spoken in Northern Benin Republic (Dahomey). Then the dialect in the East, spoken by the Mbororo'en (Wodaabe) similar to the Fulfulde spoken in Adamawa and Taraba states. Many groups in Niger republic do use Hausa as it is the most spoken language there, Tuaregs, Fulanis, Zarma, Toubou (Tebu), Beri-Beri, etc. all use Hausa, but Niger is different in the fact that those groups speak their own languages very well.

In other West African countries, Fulfulde/Pulaar is very alive and well. In Senegal, Mali, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Mauritania, etc. all of those countries have significant Fulani speaking populations and the language is showing absolutely NO SIGNS of dying out in this countries. In fact, there is a Fulani keyboard created by the Fulani Software Engineer from Senegal Malick Sarr.

I love the way you explain history. How have you been brother its been a while

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 6:30pm On Jan 02, 2017
Funjosh:

I love the way you explain history. How have you been brother its been a while

I'm well brother, how about yourself?
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by iguita: 8:58am On Jan 03, 2017
Hausa is the most spoken language in West Africa, spoken across Mali, Ghana, Niger, Benin, Togo etc. if we will have a regional language, it will be Hausa
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2017
Fulaman198:

I think the quote you quoted does not tally with your response; nonetheless; your response addressed the issue of Fulfulde extinction and it was thoroughly plausible and described the present situation; but we're talking of 50 year to come here's an extract from UNESCO's Language Vitality and endangerment frame work;

Degree of
endangerment

SAFE : language is spoken by all generations;
intergenerational transmission is
uninterrupted.

VULNERABLE LANGUAGE: most children speak the language, but it
may be restricted to certain domains (e.g.,
home)

DEFINITELY ENDANGER: children no longer learn the language as
mother tongue in the home.

SEVERELY ENDANGERED: language is spoken by grandparents and
older generations; while the parent
generation may understand it, they do not speak it to children or among themselves.

CRITICALLY ENDANGERED: the youngest speakers are grandparents and
older, and they speak the language partially and infrequently.

EXTINCT: there are no speakers left.

So I don't think fulfulde is presently a Safe language; I would categorize it as a vulnerable language; and if proper measures are not taken; Fulfulde would be moving down along the extinction path ; I cant predict when but the threat is there for all of us to see.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by chijiblaze(m): 12:03pm On Jan 20, 2017
Fulaman198:

I hope you understand that there's a big difference between Hausa and Fulani languages and people.
It's only in Nigeria that you have them as one tribe.
The Fula/ Peul in other African countries don't really speak Hausa. And just the way Fulani is joined together with Hausa in Nigeria, in other countries you have the Fulani joined with the Mandike or Songhai people.
So they have no business with the Hausa language.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 12:21am On Jan 21, 2017
chijiblaze:

I hope you understand that there's a big difference between Hausa and Fulani languages and people.
The Fula/ Peul in other African countries don't really speak Hausa. And just the way Fulani is joined together with Hausa in Nigeria, in other countries you have the Fulani joined with the Mandike or Songhai people.

I think you should re-read his response he is not saying they're thesame or all fulani speak Hausa language, and even in Nigeria its only in the Northwest you see Hausa and Fulani joined together.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by chijiblaze(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2017
Baaballiyo:

I think you should re-read his response he is not saying they're thesame or all fulani speak Hausa language, and even in Nigeria its only in the Northwest you see Hausa and Fulani joined together.

Did you actually read the subject heading of the topic. "WHY HAUSA LANGUAGE IN BBC VOA...." of all the points raised by @Fulaman198 not even 1 relates to the topic under discussion unless s/he is trying to imply that all those Fulani / Fula/ Pula/ Peul people in those African countries could equally be counted as Hausa people or that they were all Hausa speaking, which is not the case.
This, I'm trying to correct.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 6:24pm On Jan 21, 2017
chijiblaze:

Did you actually read the subject heading of the topic. "WHY HAUSA LANGUAGE IN BBC VOA...." of all the points raised by @Fulaman198 not even 1 relates to the topic under discussion unless s/he is trying to imply that all those Fulani / Fula/ Pula/ Peul people in those African countries could equally be counted as Hausa people or that they were all Hausa speaking, which is not the case.

Hmmm I am the one with the opinion that Fulani tend to relate more with Hausa than any other tribe or ethnicity in Africa, and he was trying to prove me wrong, so he is not saying what you think, if you could be patients enough to read the exchange btw us you could see where he is heading to.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
Baaballiyo:

I think the quote you quoted does not tally with your response; nonetheless; your response addressed the issue of Fulfulde extinction and it was thoroughly plausible and described the present situation; but we're talking of 50 year to come here's an extract from UNESCO's Language Vitality and endangerment frame work;

Degree of
endangerment

SAFE : language is spoken by all generations;
intergenerational transmission is
uninterrupted.

VULNERABLE LANGUAGE: most children speak the language, but it
may be restricted to certain domains (e.g.,
home)

DEFINITELY ENDANGER: children no longer learn the language as
mother tongue in the home.

SEVERELY ENDANGERED: language is spoken by grandparents and
older generations; while the parent
generation may understand it, they do not speak it to children or among themselves.

CRITICALLY ENDANGERED: the youngest speakers are grandparents and
older, and they speak the language partially and infrequently.

EXTINCT: there are no speakers left.

So I don't think fulfulde is presently a Safe language; I would categorize it as a vulnerable language; and if proper measures are not taken; Fulfulde would be moving down along the extinction path ; I cant predict when but the threat is there for all of us to see.

In Nigeria, yes Fulfulde would be classified as a vulnerable language. However, in my previous post, what I was saying is that Fulfulde/Pulaar is not in any danger in fact, it's widely spoken. Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ohdDvn1KM

In other countries, Pure Fulani culture is showing no signs of slowing down. Yet, in other countries, Fulani people do intermingle with other ethnicities (mainly Mande, Songhai, Tuaregs, etc.)

Even if Fulfulde ceases to exist in Nigeria 50 years from now, it will still be spoken in many other countries in the Sahel.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
iguita:
Hausa is the most spoken language in West Africa, spoken across Mali, Ghana, Niger, Benin, Togo etc. if we will have a regional language, it will be Hausa

By population you would be correct, but in terms of being the most widespread, Fulani language (Fulfulde) is by a landslide due to the Nomadic nature of the fulbe.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:11pm On Jan 22, 2017
chijiblaze:

I'm a Fulani man myself, so I understand the differences between Hausa and Fulfulde. In Nigeria, Hausa and Fulani are not one tribe, it's more political. That's how people classify things here. However, most Hausa and most Fulani in Nigeria know that the ethnicities are different.

I think I've said it before that Fulani mixed with Songhai = Gabero, and Fulani mixed with Mande is Wassulu(Wassolou). It's no different than Hausa-Fulani in Nigeria. Most Wasulu people can not speak Pulaar/Fulfulde. Most Gabero people can not speak Pulaar/Fulfulde. The Hausa-Fulani are no different in that regard.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
chijiblaze:

I'm not sure what was difficult to understand about what I wrote. It was very simple and to the point. Not once, did I state that Fulani people in other African countries are Hausa. I'm a Fulani, if you look at my name, it clearly states "Fulaman" or Fula man. Therefore, I am a man. If you are from one of the Francophone countries, I can understand why you may have a hard time comprehending what I'm writing.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 5:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
Fulaman198:

In Nigeria, yes Fulfulde would be classified as a vulnerable language. However, in my previous post, what I was saying is that Fulfulde/Pulaar is not in any danger in fact, it's widely spoken. Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ohdDvn1KM

In other countries, Pure Fulani culture is showing no signs of slowing down. Yet, in other countries, Fulani people do intermingle with other ethnicities (mainly Mande, Songhai, Tuaregs, etc.)

Even if Fulfulde ceases to exist in Nigeria 50 years from now, it will still be spoken in many other countries in the Sahel.

If Fulfulde ceases to exist in Nigeria in the next 50yrs then, morethan half of the fulbe race will be gone since Nigeria has the lion share of the fulbe population so still it would be catastrophic to the fulbe race.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 7:39pm On Jan 23, 2017
Baaballiyo:

If Fulfulde ceases to exist in Nigeria in the next 50yrs then, morethan half of the fulbe race will be gone since Nigeria has the lion share of the fulbe population so still it would be catastrophic to the fulbe race.

Well let's hope and I know you will critique me on this one (pray) that the Fulbe race in Nigeria remains intact. Allah wallu en
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Baaballiyo(m): 11:34pm On Jan 23, 2017
Fulaman198:

Well let's hope and I know you will critique me on this one (pray) that the Fulbe race in Nigeria remains intact. Allah wallu en

Ameena
That's my prayer and hope, my family may hv lost the fulfulde language along the way and I may not be able to speak fulfulde apart from the basics but am determined to make sure my own children speak it fluently when start my own family and Allah bless me with children.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Olowu Of Owu Kingdom: The Final 7 Contestants In Pictures / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / Common 'madness' In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.