Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" (39208 Views)

Glo Introduces New Data Plan. 2GB For N500, 4GB For N1000, 180GB For N20,000 / Glo Introduces New Improved Data Plan / 9mobile's Poor Network Is Gradually Being Resolved In Some Areas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by enemyofprogress: 10:35am On May 25, 2018
Harmoneasy:
This is a welcome development,
I pray it works really well out...
I pray it doesn't work
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 10:54am On May 25, 2018
linearity:

You can't achieve the same thing with VoIP....because of the last mile issue.

If you don't rely on the base station as you indicated, how are you going to connect seamlessly to the cloud while you move from one location to another with your mobile device in Nigeria?

Internet access for mobile devices outside of connecting via a base station does not exist in Nigeria....so this project in very unique and can't be solved in the Nigeria context with VoIP.

Cloud based hosting means hosting online, and online does not mean internet access. You host the software as you host every other app and it does not matter location.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 11:24am On May 25, 2018
Nigerian researchers? Lmao.....
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by DedeNkem: 11:36am On May 25, 2018
Instead of the corrupt NCC forcing telecommunication companies to offer better services and stop overloading their Networks due to greed or shut down their businesses, NCC instead resorted to doing this and called it a great "development"!

This is like your home roof is leaking, instead of repairing the particular area that causes the leakage (you have the money to do the necessary repairs), but you went and bought a bucket to "prevent" the leakage from destroying the floor! While on the other leaving the leaks to continue! How id*iotic is that?

Why is NCC incompetent? Either it has taken so much bribes from Telecom companies that it can't go against them anymore, rendering it toothless or its management is shamelessly incompetent and clueless!! No government office functions well in this zoo of a country!!
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by linearity: 12:30pm On May 25, 2018
Solstar:

Cloud based hosting means hosting online, and online does not mean internet access. You host the software as you host every other app and it does not matter location.

Am very versatile on cloud VMs, I orchestrate commercial cloud infrastructures for a living.

My question is, how would your mobile device access your cloud based app?

Am surprise you said...”online does not mean internet access”...if you are talking about cloud hosted apps, you need internet access to reach them.

There still need to be some type of last mile internet access and it is only your local telecomm provider that is better positioned to provide expanded internet access for mobile devices.

And if you zero on a particular provider to give you that last mile internet connection to your cloud hosted apps, your connection is not diversified, which is the problem this project is trying to solve.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by lordtim001(m): 12:46pm On May 25, 2018
TThank you for this.... I will buy Glo cheap sub and use stingy MTN superspeed to browse and download �

Or since Ntel network is not yet in my area, I will buy their unlimited sub for 1k and use it with MTN or Airtel Network�
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 25, 2018
linearity:

Am very versatile on cloud VMs, I orchestrate commercial cloud infrastructures for a living.

My question is, how would your mobile device access your cloud based app?

Am surprise you said...”online does not mean internet access”...if you are talking about cloud hosted apps, you need internet access to reach them.

There still need to be some type of last mile internet access and it is only your local telecomm provider that is better positioned to provide expanded internet access for mobile devices.

And if you zero on a particular provider to give you that last mile internet connection to your cloud hosted apps, your connection is not diversified, which is the problem this project is trying to solve.

Pay attention to your narrative again and you will understand the limit of your own understanding of my message.

I think it is a misunderstanding on your part regarding cloud services. VMs services are just remote access to hosted machines over the internet and in some cases are hosted in the cloud, so just as your VMs are hosted, VoIP servers are equally hosted on the clouds and are not restricted to geographical locations. Amazon has cloud services architectures, just like facebook and even google and the rest of the companies. So it is not the responsibility of the end user to host the VoIP servers. Telcos outsource hosting of their VoIP servers to cloud computing companies and the clients end can be downloaded from playstores, apple stores etc for download to the phones.

I know how VMs work and I have VMs on my computers. But this is a different kettle of fish. My very first venture into the internet was to launch ISP company which I stopped abruptly at 25 because I could not secure the financial end of the deal structure to bring in my foreign technical partners from Spokane, Washington. I understand that the need to brainstorm, but I am not a novice that is here to make comments. I also distributed for the first VoIP to come into Nigeria, Primera Networks, but the company died real fast then because Nigerians as at then did not understand how VoIP services work and even now, very few people understand much about integrating virtual numbers to existing phone system.

Like I said, this is not about Virtual Machines, virtual machines are nothing more than hosting Enterprise OS on remote servers and giving authentication and disk allocation to paying end users.

I know how it works, there is nothing to argue here except it is function of the ego, in which case, I have to bow out. My ego died.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Kolping: 2:40pm On May 25, 2018
I find it strange and disconcerting that the developed world, even South Africa, is preparing to launch 5G mobile networks from 2019 and this is what NCC is funding as telecommunications research in 2018. A 'digital walking stick'?

Listen to the Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the counterpart to NCC in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k96UF0abXOU
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by edicied: 2:41pm On May 25, 2018
Demonicide:
How do you manage to pass in school?
I use to put expo inside my socks cheesy
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Demonicide(f): 3:07pm On May 25, 2018
edicied:
I use to put expo inside my socks cheesy
I talk am.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by lastdon5: 3:07pm On May 25, 2018
chai...the thing sweet me no b lie when I heard uni of Minna, this is the kind news we should be hearing not that of cape Town, Boston,havard, Oxford etc we too get school here, irrespective of funding.

After all,we have the brightest brain here in naija, that is why when we go out of the country we blow big.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by linearity: 3:34pm On May 25, 2018
Solstar:

Pay attention to your narrative again and you will understand the limit of your own understanding of my message.

I think it is a misunderstanding on your part regarding cloud services. VMs services are just remote access to hosted machines over the internet and in some cases are hosted in the cloud, so just as your VMs are hosted, VoIP servers are equally hosted on the clouds and are not restricted to geographical locations. Amazon has cloud services architectures, just like facebook and even google and the rest of the companies. So it is not the responsibility of the end user to host the VoIP servers. Telcos outsource hosting of their VoIP servers to cloud computing companies and the clients end can be downloaded from playstores, apple stores etc for download to the phones.

I know how VMs work and I have VMs on my computers. But this is a different kettle of fish. My very first venture into the internet was to launch ISP company which I stopped abruptly at 25 because I could not secure the financial end of the deal structure to bring in my foreign technical partners from Spokane, Washington. I understand that the need to brainstorm, but I am not a novice that is here to make comments. I also distributed for the first VoIP to come into Nigeria, Primera Networks, but the company died real fast then because Nigerians as at then did not understand how VoIP services work and even now, very few people understand much about integrating virtual numbers to existing phone system.

Like I said, this is not about Virtual Machines, virtual machines are nothing more than hosting Enterprise OS on remote servers and giving authentication and disk allocation as paying end users.

I know how it works, there is nothing to argue here except it is function of the ego, in which case, I have to bow out. My ego died.

Lets step back a little, though this is a diversion from the initial point...You have a limited knowledge about Virtual Machines....In Cloud services, VMs are the smallest entities where you can host your applications. forget personal VMs you install on your PC...whether you are using openstack, cloudstack, opennebula, etc to orchestrate your cloud environment; after instantiating Tenants, you then instantiate VMs on which you will install your Apps e.g. VoIP Server, etc... This can be a single VM or set or VMs or on containers, which are also VMs...but containers are host agnostic and portable compare to VMs.

I know these because, I have a commercial VoIP platform with integrated virtual phone aka DID linked to PSTN and can be routed to any PSTN in the world....and I also have first hand experience orchestrating commercial cloud environments from commodity baremetal hardware.

My take is, you may not have understand the scope or the problem the Minna project is trying to solve...and I mentioned it in my previous posts...'It is the last mile problem'....From all you replies, your reference to VoIP has been limited to the server instance of VoIP running in some cloud somewhere.....the client instance of VoIP resides in your phone and the client have to connect to the server via some means and internet is the only means...I never mentioned that, the user will host VoIP server on their phones, but they must host the VoIP client App on their phone.

In the Minna project, this client-side VoIP on your phone relies exclusively on your provider to make that connection to the VoIP server hosted in the cloud and if the connection of your provider in your particular location is poor, you are out of luck....hence the Minna project want to aggregate all available providers in your location and use the best link for that connection. This they can achieve by producing a SIM card that searches the center frequency of all available carriers in that location and use the best connection...They still have to work out HLR authentication & billing, but since NCC is pioneering this, it is possible to host a central HLR server that sync with all local telecomm HLRs.

Cloud services, including cloud hosted VoIP server can be accessed from any geographical location, but the client side of VoIP on your phone need a local provider to make that connection.

Therefore, you cannot use VoIP to achieve the same goal. I think what you meant with VoIP and virtual numbers is DID roaming...which I did recently while traveling to Nigeria and UK....I instantiated a virtual number and configured it such that, if you call my local US phone number you reached my MTN or 9mobile number in Nigeria and the caller does not know that, I am not in the US....when I finished what I was doing in Nigeria and entered UK, my calls started going to my UK vodafone SIM...all were done via the help of VoIP & Virtual Number....but in each case, I am depended on network and base station of my last mile provider be it MTN or 9mobile in Nigeria or Vodafone in the UK....The Minna project want to solve this last mile problem.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 3:54pm On May 25, 2018
linearity:

Lets step back a little, though this is a diversion from the initial point...You have a limited knowledge about Virtual Machines....In Cloud services, VMs are the smallest entities where you can host your applications. forget personal VMs you install on your PC...whether you are using openstack, cloudstack, opennebula, etc to orchestrate your cloud environment; after instantiating Tenants, you then instantiate VMs on which you will install your Apps e.g. VoIP Server, etc... This can be a single VM or set or VMs or on containers, which are also VMs...but containers are host agnostic and portable compare to VMs.

I know these because, I have a commercial VoIP platform with integrated virtual phone aka DID linked to PSTN and can be routed to any PSTN in the world....and I also have first hand experience orchestrating commercial cloud environments from commodity baremetal hardware.

My take is, you may not have understand the scope or the problem the Minna project is trying to solve...and I mentioned it in my previous posts...'It is the last mile problem'....From all you replies, your reference to VoIP has been limited to the server instance of VoIP running in some cloud somewhere.....the client instance of VoIP resides in your phone and the client have to connect to the server via some means and internet is the only means...I never mentioned that, the user will host VoIP server on their phones, but they must host the VoIP client App on their phone.

In the Minna project, this client-side VoIP on your phone relies exclusively on your provider to make that connection to the VoIP server hosted in the cloud and if the connection of your provider in your particular location is poor, you are out of luck....hence the Minna project want to aggregate all available providers in your location and use the best link for that connection. This they can achieve by producing a SIM card that searches the center frequency of all available carriers in that location and use the best connection...They still have to work out HLR authentication & billing, but since NCC is pioneering this, it is possible to host a central HLR server that sync with all local telecomm HLRs.

Cloud services, including cloud hosted VoIP server can be accessed from any geographical location, but the client side of VoIP on your phone need a local provider to make that connection.

Therefore, you cannot use VoIP to achieve the same goal. I think what you meant with VoIP and virtual numbers is DID roaming...which I did recently while traveling to Nigeria and UK....I instantiated a virtual number and configured it such that, if you call my local US phone number you reached my MTN or 9mobile number in Nigeria and the caller does not know that, I am not in the US....when I finished what I was doing in Nigeria and entered UK, my calls started going to my UK vodafone SIM...all were done via the help of VoIP & Virtual Number....but in each case, I am depended on network and base station of my last mile provider be it MTN or 9mobile in Nigeria or Vodafone in the UK....The Minna project want to solve this last mile problem.

Congratulations for taking some time to do more research on my opinions and drifting towards my angle, and I believe the time you took to do some researching before coming down to this same conclusion which my initial post portends is not wasted. Now you are presenting my own points and facts in your words just to achieve what ? Your error of judgement was not understanding the premise of the discourse but confusing VM services, and VoIP hosting services in the first place. Sometimes it is more gentlemanly to say 'Thanks for the enlightenment, I now understand the point' instead of trying to score a point by repeating the same things stated of which you argued about after coming to a clearer understanding.

Have a nice time doing what you are doing, as this is a field I researched over 15 years ago, now I have more important fishes I am frying and it is even too late to launch such a so-called 'super sim'. Nigeria seems to be on the reverse gear when it comes to innovations. In the next few years, Voice over IP will be fully integrated with messaging/chat API systems and that will totally eliminate the need for SIM system on phones. I do not expect many to imagine this yet, but the innovation will begin to surface with the launch of 5G Li-Fi (note, Li-Fi, not Wi-Fi).
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by linearity: 4:55pm On May 25, 2018
Solstar:

Congratulations for taking some time to do more research on my opinions and drifting towards my angle, and I believe the time you took to do some researching before coming down to this same conclusion which my initial post portends is not wasted. Now you are presenting my own points and facts in your words just to achieve what ? Your error of judgement was not understanding the premise of the discourse but confusing VM services, and VoIP hosting services in the first place. Sometimes it is more gentlemanly to say 'Thanks for the enlightenment, I now understand the point' instead of trying to score a point by repeating the same things stated of which you argued about after coming to a clearer understanding.

Have a nice time doing what you are doing, as this is a field I researched over 15 years ago, now I have more important fishes I am frying and it is even too late to launch such a so-called 'super sim'. Nigeria seems to be on the reverse gear when it comes to innovations. In the next few years, Voice over IP will be fully integrated with messaging/chat API systems and that will totally eliminate the need for SIM system on phones. I do not expect many to imagine this yet, but the innovation will begin to surface with the launch of 5G Li-Fi (note, Li-Fi, not Wi-Fi).

For someone who stated...

Solstar:
It will be nice if this is not a VoIP based technology.

Developing a VoIP solution and assigning virtual numbers to the chip as well as integrating a billing app can do the same thing. Instead of relying on the network base stations for transmission, the relay service can be hosted on the cloud and same can be achieved.

It will be nice to see how this can be done differently outside the VoIP platform.

We are saying different things, what you stated is not possible and my post made that very clear, it may have been above your comprehension.

You clearly does not know what VoIP is, it is not a transmission medium and cannot replace a transmission medium like Air-Interface...it relies on the presence of an interface-medium to work...VoIP functions at the layer-4 of the OSI reference model, while base stations and SIMs work at layer-1 & 2....The Minna project is trying to solve a layer-1 issue and as such, a layer-4 solution no matter how you tweak it, is not going to be an alternate solution.

"..In the next few years, Voice over IP will be fully integrated with messaging/chat API systems and that will totally eliminate the need for SIM system on phones...I do not expect many to imagine this yet, but the innovation will begin to surface with the launch of 5G Li-Fi"

Just like your previous post, the above one is myopic and shows your limited understanding of VoIP or 5G........LTE and 5G uses VoIP and all the handsets uses SIM cards to connect to a base station.....5G will not eliminate SIM.

Li-Fi does not enhance VoIP or messaging or chat API compare to Wi-Fi; these applications uses small bandwidths that you do not need Li-Fi for them to function and these applications are not in the future; we all use them today....My VoIP app integrates messaging and chat....Li-Fi uses the same radio wave as Wi-Fi except that, it is on a different spectrum aka wavelength and it is faster and not inhibited by barriers, none of these make Li-Fi more suitable for VoIP, messaging, chat APIs compare to Wi-Fi....Li-Fi is just visible radio wave spectrum and Wi-Fi is not.

All in all, with 5G Li-Fi, you still need a SIM card on your phone or on your IoT device, you still need a 5G radio head on your base station i.e. you still need the last mile....We are testing many 5G POC in the NYC metro area, including close loop automation, Augmented & Virtual reality, etc using Edge Clouds installed on commodity baremetal hardware at the base stations aka node-Bs....in all these, we are still using VoIP, 5G enabled phones/UEs and 5G SIM cards.

I am with one of the major Telecomms in the US...I have installed and managed ISPs in Nigeria and consulted for many Telecomms in the Nigeria as well....I agree, you know some stuff, but you are way off in some of your assumptions.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Kolping: 5:55pm On May 25, 2018
I guess you maybe working with NYU WIRELESS as an industry affiliate. Or maybe not.

linearity:

For someone who stated...

We are saying different things, what you stated is not possible and my post made that very clear, it may have been above your comprehension.

You clearly does not know what VoIP is, it is not a transmission medium and cannot replace a transmission medium like Air-Interface...it relies on the presence of an interface-medium to work...VoIP functions at the layer-4 of the OSI reference model, while base stations and SIMs work at layer-1 & 2....The Minna project is trying to solve a layer-1 issue and as such, a layer-4 solution no matter how you tweak it, is not going to be an alternate solution.

"..In the next few years, Voice over IP will be fully integrated with messaging/chat API systems and that will totally eliminate the need for SIM system on phones...I do not expect many to imagine this yet, but the innovation will begin to surface with the launch of 5G Li-Fi"

Just like your previous post, the above one is myopic and shows your limited understanding of VoIP or 5G........LTE and 5G uses VoIP and all the handsets uses SIM cards to connect to a base station.....5G will not eliminate SIM.

Li-Fi does not enhance VoIP or messaging or chat API compare to Wi-Fi; these applications uses small bandwidths that you do not need Li-Fi for them to function and these applications are not in the future; we all use them today....My VoIP app integrates messaging and chat....Li-Fi uses the same radio wave as Wi-Fi except that, it is on a different spectrum aka wavelength and it is faster and not inhibited by barriers, none of these make Li-Fi more suitable for VoIP, messaging, chat APIs compare to Wi-Fi....Li-Fi is just visible radio wave spectrum and Wi-Fi is not.

All in all, with 5G Li-Fi, you still need a SIM card on your phone or on your IoT device, you still need a 5G radio head on your base station i.e. you still need the last mile....We are testing many 5G POC in the NYC metro area, including close loop automation, Augmented & Virtual reality, etc using Edge Clouds installed on commodity baremetal hardware at the base stations aka node-Bs....in all these, we are still using VoIP, 5G enabled phones/UEs and 5G SIM cards.

I am with one of the major Telecomms in the US...I have installed and managed ISPs in Nigeria and consulted for many Telecomms in the Nigeria as well....I agree, you know some stuff, but you are way off in some of your assumptions.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by linearity: 6:14pm On May 25, 2018
Kolping:
I guess you maybe working with NYU WIRELESS as an industry affiliate. Or maybe not.

NYU Wireless is a research facility, I work in the labs of a major telecom carrier.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Kolping: 6:29pm On May 25, 2018
I was referring to your company. Several major telecom carriers in the U.S. work with NYU Wireless on 5G mmWave wireless research as industry affiliates.

linearity:

NYU Wireless is a research facility, I work in the labs of a major telecom carrier.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by linearity: 6:59pm On May 25, 2018
Kolping:
I was referring to your company. Several major telecom carriers in the U.S. work with NYU Wireless on 5G mmWave wireless research as industry affiliates.

Yes, we are affiliated with NYU, but not really in terms of using their research facilities as we have our own research labs and foundries.

The NYU relationship is mainly to recruit young bright talents from NYU, internship and access to our research facilities.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Neoteny(m): 10:04pm On May 25, 2018
Lies.

Can't work.

Simcards have unique numbers which are used to authenticate them for call switching.

No way any one single sim can be authenticated on multiple networks.

And look at the technology claims: "we used AI and mobile technology"... How very specific!

I call shenanigans on this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Kolping: 1:32pm On May 26, 2018
Ok. Just trying to confirm what I thought.

linearity:

Yes, we are affiliated with NYU, but not really in terms of using their research facilities as we have our own research labs and foundries.

The NYU relationship is mainly to recruit young bright talents from NYU, internship and access to our research facilities.
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 26, 2018
enemyofprogress:
I pray it doesn't work
Your moniker says it all grin grin grin
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 26, 2018
DedeNkem:
Instead of the corrupt NCC forcing telecommunication companies to offer better services and stop overloading their Networks to due greed or shut down their businesses, NCC instead resorted to doing this and called a great "development"!

This is like your home roof is leaking, instead of repairing the particular area that causes the leakage (you have the money to do the necessary repairs), but you went and bought a bucket to "prevent" the leakage from destroying the floor! While on the other leaving the leaks to continue! How id*iotic is that?

Why is NCC incompetent? Either it has taken so much bribes from Telecom companies that it can't go against them anymore, rendering it toothless or its management is shamelessly incompetent and clueless!! No government office functions well in this zoo of a country!!

how do they over load their network?
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by edicied: 9:29pm On May 27, 2018
Demonicide:
I talk am.
like say I no day give you copy to. grin
Re: No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" by DedeNkem: 12:57pm On May 28, 2018
asuustrike2009:

how do they over load their network?

When a network is overloaded is when your system can handle 10k subscribers convientlly without any down times But due to greed, you instead add 20k subscribers to double your profit while adding no upgrade to your system to handle the extra load, which leads to a lot of down times and bad services to your customers!

That's what all Nigerian companies do!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Phone Drops Inside Water / The type of phone you use is a reflection of who you are. / NTEL Sim Lagos Collection Locations And All You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.