Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? (17451 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Buying Electric Car Despite Epileptic Power Supply. / List Of Countries Who Are Switching From Fossil Fuel Cars To Electric Cars / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by AutoJoshNG: 3:20pm On May 24, 2018
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

Dear reader, why haven’t you bought an electric car if you can afford it ?

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

We would like to hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/why-are-nigerians-not-buying-electric-cars/

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by chuckdee4(m): 3:21pm On May 24, 2018
Really

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by ikbnice(m): 3:29pm On May 24, 2018
It is only in Nigeria where people will buy phone and battery go big pass phone sef. No electricity!
Someone will have a phone with 10,000 mAh battery and still buy a 90,000mAh power bank join.
If the electric car will use solar, no problem.

Who knows where dem dey sell solar phones. I need one jawe.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:20pm On May 24, 2018
I think you need to go to YouTube and watch how much a tesla costs to maintain once it's outside warranty. The bills are enough to send you into poverty. cry

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by SolutionMee: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
cry

The reason is because we are not vulnerable to the propaganda of the whites

They can't just be dictating for us all the time

We have the money but we will punish them by refusing to buy

They gave us Java phone .. they changed it and we didn't talk

They came up with Symbian .. they changed it and we still maintain our peace

They came with Android and IOS and we were still submissive

They came with Firefox OS and we rejected it

They came with Apple and we ate it

They direct our fate as a human

They impose their will on us

I don't love it that way

I want us to rule over them

Science is every countries right

we aren't inferior

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by NwaAmaikpe: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
shocked

Mumu question.
Nigerians haven't seen electricity to charge their phones and powerbanks,

It's now to charge car.

There's no sense in it.
Why buy a car to show say you pass your neighbor when you'd have to rely on "I-pass-my-neighbor" generator to use it?

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
#OBJWhereIsThePower

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Kingdolo(m): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
You can get stranded, Hybrid is better

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
No light to charge am
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Harmored(m): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
Some Nigerians are already using them you've not just seen one

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by erico2k2(m): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJosh
Simply put, no power!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by jeeqaa7(m): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
No light
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
ok
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by AnonymousIP: 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Afam4eva(m): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
Are the second hand ones available? Nigerians mostly buy second hand vehicles.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:47pm On May 24, 2018
Is not available here in Nigeria undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
Lol
Generator nor go fit charge am.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by alphaconde(m): 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
them de wait for the car wey de use water

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nackzy: 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
Where you go see light charge am under this buhari government... Ordinary phone since morning I see light charge
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by nabegibeg: 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

Dear reader, why haven’t you bought an electric car if you can afford it ?

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

We would like to hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/why-are-nigerians-not-buying-electric-cars/

we dont enough electricity in our homes to use and you are saying we shld add more salt to our injuries

So we should come are charge it in your house abi

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Newpride(m): 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
Because we don’t have stable electricity in Nigeria ... : grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Tokziby: 4:48pm On May 24, 2018
it's because electricity transmission is not being transmitted from the transmitting company.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by JUHABACH: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
very very stupid thread.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Mustack: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
no light....
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by opeolu202: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
Why are you not using an electric car?

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Wizkhalifa2(m): 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
We never get powerbank way go fit charge am.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Uyi168: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
Na power bank we wan take charge am?

16 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
V

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Slashes Number Plate Price To N8,400, Drivers’ Licence To N4,000 / Toyota Venza Vs Toyota Lexus RX 350 (your Advise Needed) / 6 Epic And Hilarious Car DIY Fails (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.