Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,769 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 (10199 Views)

Ogun Poly Student Commits Suicide After Losing His Tuition Fee To Gambling / What's Your JAMB UMTE Score / NANS Reacts To Fg’s Reduction Of Jamb, Neco Fees, Speaks On ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Ekiti360(m): 4:22am On May 25, 2018
​The House of Representatives has urged the federal ministry of education to review downward the cost of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) by about 50% from the current N7, 500.00 to not more than N3, 000.00.

The House, while adopting a motion by James Faleke (APC, Lagos) urged the Federal Ministry of Education to ensure that the cost of the other ‘ancillary forms’ for changes must be free or at the very barest minimum of N500.

These decisions were taken after a unanimous endorsement of the motion, in order to make university and other tertiary education accessible and affordable.

While leading debate on the motion, Fakele noted that the Joint Admissions Matriculation Board (JAMB) was said to have remitted the sum of N7.8 billion to the Federal Government being excess of the N12 billion made from sales of Unified Tertiary Examinations (UTME) application forms for University Admission in 2017 at the rate of N7, 500.00 each, excluding incomes from the sales of other forms such as Change of Course Forms and Change of University Forms at the rate of N5, 000.00 each.

He said an estimated 250,000 candidates purchased the UTME forms bringing the income from sales of the forms to estimated sum of N2.4bn per year.

The lawmaker further noted that the cost does not include the Post UMTE Examinations that are conducted by Universities at an average cost of N2, 500 (Two Thousand Five Hundred Naira only) per candidate excluding the expenses made on logistics.

Faleke said he was aware that JAMB had a surplus of N7 billion budget in 2017.

According to him “the increase in the number of Universities from 12 at inception of JAMB in 1798, with less than 50,000 candidates to over 400 tertiary institutions with more than 1.7 million candidates writing the exams and indices shows only about 50% of those who wrote the examinations were admitted in the universities as at 2017.

“Further aware that JAMB as a government agency is not set up for profit making but to promote educational development of the young citizens in pursuit of their professional career;

“Worried that the proliferation of Universities to 120, 83 Polytechnics, 82 Colleges of Education and other Tertiary Institutions under JAMB purview is portraying it as a profit making venture.

“I was alarmed at the allegation of the huge sum of money missing from the vaults, burning of scratch cards, lending out money made from sales of application forms, conversion of proceeds from sales of application forms to loans and Image ’empowerment’ funds to private individuals and fictitious by stories by the officials of the board”

“That being the first time such an amount is being returned to government coffers by any government agency, the management of JAMB deserves commendation for upholding the Federal Government’s Anti-Corruption policies.

“Believes that education, being a pivot upon which relational development of the nation rests, should be made available to citizens at the barest minimum cost”

The motion was thereafter unanimously adopted and referred to the committee on basic education led by Hon. Zakari Mohammed (APC, Kwara) to ensure compliance and report back in two weeks.

http://kikiotolu.com/jamb-reps-demand-reduction-of-umte-fee-to-n3000/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Oladipo1166(m): 4:24am On May 25, 2018
.2nd FTC of the day back to back

the reps have said theirs,
meanwhile they will still use scope to collect the money back by asking those student to pay for change of course form after mass failure,

y stressing urself with jamb? u can gain admission through A-Level read my signature for more details.
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by maisauki: 4:40am On May 25, 2018
saraki won't allow something like this in the Senate... anti masses sinator

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by midolian(m): 5:28am On May 25, 2018
I can bet my balls this is the last you ll hear of this issue grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Sharon6(f): 5:28am On May 25, 2018
Nice one, sadly we all know this is the last we'll hear of this.

GET RID OF PIMPLES/ACNE SPOTS. CHECK MY SIGNATURE.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by harffie(m): 5:28am On May 25, 2018
angry
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Teryfik(m): 5:28am On May 25, 2018
UMTEOP fear God na

6 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Nobody: 5:30am On May 25, 2018
Bring back free education to junior secondary schools at least
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by seunlayi(m): 5:30am On May 25, 2018
No need for reduction, the exam should be scrapped. Who dem epp?

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by tfelicityk(m): 5:30am On May 25, 2018
Useless lawmakers... Just waking up from slumber... What were doing waiting for before?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by SOFTENGR: 5:31am On May 25, 2018
Our legislators are working.
But will it not be rejected like peace corps?

3 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by SleakBuzzPR: 5:33am On May 25, 2018
Bad news for JAMB registrar and his goons....

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by seunlayi(m): 5:33am On May 25, 2018
tfelicityk:
Useless lawmakers... Just waking up from slumber... What were doing waiting for before?
you mind dem? After 3 yrs in the chamber

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Emac34: 5:34am On May 25, 2018
useless Govt

useless Educational sector

useless oga at the top

Rubbish

3 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by yemajiteru(m): 5:34am On May 25, 2018
Lwkmd... This motion no hold water at all...
I pray mke this time no b the first and only time wey we go hear about this matter...

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Pavore9: 5:34am On May 25, 2018
Day don break for them!
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Habibsocial080: 5:36am On May 25, 2018
First time in history rep talk better thing in chamber

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Nobody: 5:36am On May 25, 2018
good move! this demonic govt keeps making things difficult by the seconds.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by twentyk(m): 5:41am On May 25, 2018
G
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by tectonotimes: 5:44am On May 25, 2018
This is a very good development. More power to the elbows of our law makers. Are you capable of making millions of naira from export business? Click on the first link on my signature.
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Nobody: 5:45am On May 25, 2018
thief
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Xtfield(m): 5:48am On May 25, 2018
No, let JAMB firm remain at 7500 or even increase to 15000 Naira. But let the salaries and allowances of legislators be reduced by 50%. That is when I will know that they love the masses. Our unserious legislators can reduce everything but not their salaries and allowances. I hate deception with passion. I refuse to be foolish.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by BigBrother9ja: 5:51am On May 25, 2018
Good
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by internetpo(m): 5:51am On May 25, 2018
Great idea. Wish it could be implemented.
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by OgahBohz: 5:53am On May 25, 2018
UMTE ..

OR
UTME !

1 Like

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by Jaynom(m): 5:57am On May 25, 2018
I applaud this Development.
The average Nigerian struggles to pay for Waec. Pay for Neco. Then JAMB that is annual exploits you. The Nigerian system like Most Churches is designed to squeeze out money from even the Masses. I hope this reduction gets approved!!
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by OhiOfIhima: 6:00am On May 25, 2018
God bless you Mr Faleke.. Possibly he will have be a better candidate to govern my State but Allah wills have been done. You can try more again n again.. My brother, Yahaya Bello wake up fa..

My fellow Nairalanders, celebrate wit me. I am plus 1 today Insha Allah. God bless my new age. Amin.

Ramadan Kareem to you all.

3 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by israelmao(m): 6:01am On May 25, 2018
Let the sales of forms be according to the admission slots or vacancies available in all tertiary institutions.Stop the sales of forms above available admission slots not doing so is corruption.
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by ITbomb(m): 6:05am On May 25, 2018
israelmao:
Let the sales of forms be according to the admission slots or vacancies available in all tertiary institutions.Stop the sales of forms above available admission slots not doing so is corruption.
How are you sure that everyone who takes the exams will pass

2 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by saintol(m): 6:07am On May 25, 2018
James Faleke, you have proven that one of you still have sense but let us see the outcome to see if others really still have sense.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by computer0810(m): 6:07am On May 25, 2018
everything is going up in price and minimum wages is stagnant with d economic situation of d shit hole yet d gullible president will come and praise d most corruptible president we'v ever had in dis country
Re: JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UMTE Fee To N3000 by luxs(m): 6:13am On May 25, 2018
Xtfield:
No, let JAMB firm remain at 7500 or even increase to 15000 Naira. But let the salaries and allowances of legislators be reduced by 50%. That is when I will know that they love the masses. Our unserious legislators can reduce everything but not their salaries and allowances. I hate deception with passion. I refuse to be foolish.
OF WHAT BENEFIT WILL THE REDUCTION BE TO YOU

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls What Is The Cut Off Mark For Science Laboratory Technology In Uniport / 2010/2011 Unad Admission / What Is Project Management Technology? (FUTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.