Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,532 members, 7,770,376 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:05 AM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (86454 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:24pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

Hididnk took Korea to the Semis of a World Cup.
It's a bigger achievement than Scolari winning it for Brazil. . . . .

My question is "WHAT HAS HE WON WITH A NATIONAL TEAM?" because you wanted to prove that Amodu is not a good coach by highlighting he is yet to win something with national team and disregarding his achievements at club level.

If that is criteria for a sub-par coach, then you must be saying Hiddink is sub-par.

~Sauron~:

Is Rijkaard vying for the post of Holland's National Team?

He was Dutch coach, was he not?

What did he win? I thought good coaches win something with national teams and the club ones are irrelevent? Abi, Onyagaza?

~Sauron~:

With Amodu, it's not an upset.
That is the best position he can take Nigeria.

PURE, UNDISTILLED, UNFILTERED conjecture.

~Sauron~:

Upset is when a student who cops 90% suddenly score 25%.
A student that keeps scoring 45% every time cannot qualify as an upset - Amodu is consistent with his failure.
If we allow him to take Nigeria to the next Nations Cup, he will finish THIRD again.

Upset is when a student that scores 90% in Physics, goes for a Maths test and he has food poisoning and scores 70%.

If there are better teams, then it is not a big deal to come third. Hiddink could not win WC too because there are better teams. Rijkaard also "failed" at third.

The Ghana Amodu dominated for 80mins, that his team wasted numerous chances against, is the same team that is the only African team left in WC and dominating others (not dominated like Amodu). Says a lot about Amodu and how he can hold his own at WC. Lagerback couldn't.

~Sauron~:

His players are not great in 2002 and 2010?
How many months preparation did Amodu cop before the Nations Cup?
A useless coach is a useless coach. I don't need to bag M.Sc in Rocket Science to know Amodu is tactically sterile.

I repeat his team spent all night arguing in 2002 over money before a match with an EXCELLENT team.

In 2010, the players aint that good.

~Sauron~:

The criteria is there for all to see. It ain't far-fetched.
Amodu took Super Eagles from the height of excellence to what African teams now laugh about.
He took SE from grace to grass.

Amodu took them from failure to victory in 2002 when the coach you highly praise (and has WON Olympics  grin) was useless and almost cost us WC ticket.

He took a mediocre team to WC qualification again in 2010 and took them to their ANC potential.

Lagerback brought them down and got paid.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 7:25pm On Jun 26, 2010
montelik:

Show me where it was in his contract. An employee fulfills the employment terms in his contract, not the expectations "in the heads" of his employers. Show where there was any agreement or even mutual understanding that he was supposed to win the nations cup.

Show me where it was in his contract that finishing THIRD was his target, u numbskull!!!

Maybe, maybe Argentina would have given us 8 goals with Amodu in charge. But you don't know how he would have done at the WC. So there is absolutely no FACT to what you allege. Any coach who is good enough to qualify a team under his tutelage for the WC, deserves the chance to go to there and show what he is capable of and be judged on his actual performance, not a bunch of silly conjectures made by people who have their opinions of what may or may not have happened and then they use those baseless conjectures as FACTS to then pronounce judgment.

Amodu woulda gone to the world cup if he had shown a decent performance in the Nations Cup.
A manager that lost to Egypt 1-3 and lost to Ghana 0-1 was seen to be a monumental failure for the National Team.
The FA were spot on to sack Amodu!!! They had to apply a damage limitation.

Care to provide any evidence for that claim. Are you Sani Lulu in disguise   Show me where the NFF told Amodu that only the trophy would do. Maybe you are the NFF member you speak of  wink. Amodu failed in 2002? That is news to me. After all I remember him successfully qualifying us for the WC in Japan/Korea. That was his mandate. His mandate in ANC 02 was not to bring the trophy home, so once again that is another failure only by your own definition.

Successfully qualifying Nigeria is now an achievement?
How many countries represent Africa these days? FIVE.
By default, a Nigerian side with no manager would qualify for the world cup every time. . . .Nigeria are that good in Africa.

Westerhof destroyed the credibility of the super eagles by losing 5-1 to Algeria scandalously in the ANC.

You don't have a memory.
The same Westerhof played in the final of that competition(something Amodu has never achieved in his miserable life).
Westerhof got to the final of the Nations Cup less than a year after he was employed.
Compare that with FAGmodu!!!

Lagerback destroyed the credibility of the super eagles by allowing an aging Greek team to use Nigeria to enter the WC history books with their first goals and win. The coach of Ghana also destroyed the credibility of the Black stars by letting Ivory Coast beat the 3-1 in the group phase of the ANC. (yet somehow Ghana got to the final while IV lost at QFs). Do you now see how easy it is to cherry pick a few results and use them draw wide, far-reaching and ridiculous conclusions or patterns.

Lagerback lost to Greece playing 10 men and wasting 2 subs on injuries(he cannot control such circumstances).
Ghana played in the final - something Amodu is yet to achieve.
No one is cherry picking Amodu's achievements - A manager that has failed to play in the final of a Nations Cup with a team like Nigeria is dud.

As for our poor pattern of play, that is a subjective opinion but I would say we were much worse under Chukwu and Vogts, but everyone opinions will differ. You say Amodu didn't not develop players. Was that his mandate? In 2001 when he took over the Eagles when Bonfere abandoned us, was his mandate to develop players. When he was hired in 2008 was his mandate to develop players or qualify the team for the ANC & WC after our failure of 06. It seems you have a different set of goals for Amodu than what was the reality. If your boss judges your performance the way you judge Amodu then you most be the perfect employee to still have a job.  smiley

Amodu is a local coach. . . . . His primary role is to identify local talents, nurture them and bed them gradually into the National Team.
Capello visits all the grounds in the England to watch English players - i doubt Amodu does that.
He just sits around and wait for the foreign players to come do the business for him while he resorts to his hobby of cud-chewing.

Finally I agree with you, there is no proof Amodu would have done better. But the reasons for there not being any proof is because people refused to allow it. Now you want to say you definitely know what would have happened even though you have nothing but conjecture as evidence.

If you did logic in school then you would know a manager that failed in an inferior competiton would fail more in a superior competiton.
U failed JSS Exams, how are you going to pass ACCA exams?
Do you have to be a rocket scientist to know that? If teams like Ghana and Egypt can beat Amodu - Argentina will maul him.

No player developed under Amodu? Is Amodu Siasia coaching under-aged. So national team coaches are supposed to develop players that are not with them excepts for a hand full of days in a year. With an F.A that refuses to arrange friendlies and do the proper thing tell me how he is supposed to develop players. How long was this man in charge that he was supposed to develop players while people were breathing down his neck for results (don't dare draw or lose or we sack you, you must win while playing like Barca and Arsenal combined or else).

Amodu discovered no local player - that is what that statement means.
National coaches unearth local gems and nurture them till they are good enough to play in the National team.

Look at the many prodigious talents in the World Cup.
Look at Germany flaunting their youths - who discovered those players? Lucifer or their National Team manager?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:32pm On Jun 26, 2010
montelik:

Do you now see how easy it is to cherry pick a few results and use them to draw wide, far-reaching and ridiculous conclusions or patterns.

When I now take that cherry to apply to Oyinbo, you go begin to see excuses and rationalisations. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite:

My question is "WHAT HAS HE WON WITH A NATIONAL TEAM?" because you wanted to prove that Amodu is not a good coach by highlighting he is yet to win something with national team and disregarding his achievements at club level.

What Hiddink has won with a National Team is immaterial!!!
He's taken the most inexperienced team in a world cup to the Semifinal.
I think that is enough achievement and this is why he gets jobs in Europe.
Amodu's credentials cannot take him to the job of the manager of Lesotho. . . .That's the difference.

If that is criteria for a sub-par coach, then you must be saying Hiddink is sub-par.

How can Hiddink be sub-par?
He's one of the most brilliant managers in Europe - his records speak for itself.
Hiddink does not have to win a world cup to prove his credentials. His achievement in 2002 stunned the whole world.

He was Dutch coach, was he not?
What did he win? I thought good coaches win something with national teams and the club ones are irrelevent? Abi, Onyagaza?

Which job came first?
National team job or Barcelona job?

Upset is when a student that scores 90% in Physics, goes for a Maths test and he has food poisoning and scores 70%.

Food posioning in 2002, food posioning in 2010.
Amodu must be cursed. grin

If there are better teams, then it is not a big deal to come third. Hiddink could not win WC too because there are better teams.

That he qualified Korea for the round of 16 was in itself a big achievement.
Everything he achieved after that was a surplus to requirements.

The Ghana Amodu dominated for 80mins, that his team wasted numerous chances against, is the same team that is the only African team left in WC and dominating others (not dominated like Amodu)

Amodu did not dominate any Ghana side.
His team were played off the park by a youthful side.
They completely outthunk, outfoxed and outwitted Amodu. The best your manager could offer was chewing his cud.

I repeat his team spent all night arguing in 2002 over money before a match with an EXCELLENT team.

LIES LIES LIES. . . . .
Arguing about money made him lose to a 10-man Senegalese side?
I laugh in Arabic - what won't a moronic manager use as an excuse?

In 2010, the players aint that good.
Amodu took them from failure to victory in 2002 when the coach you highly praise was useless and almost cost us WC ticket.

Which coach did i praise highly? Lagerback or who?

He took a midocre team to WC qualification again in 2010 and took them to their ANC potential.

Kindly list the FIFA rankings of the teams Amodu played in the WC qualification in comparison to Nigeria.
That will help this debate a lot.

Lagerback brought them down and got paid.

Lagerback worked with the rot Amodu left and he had to prepare them for 3 weeks.
The Swedish manager is not a magician. What Amodu spoilt for several months cannot be cleaned up in 3 weeks but nevertheless, we all saw how he made the SE play superbly creating tons of chances against decent sides in the WC.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 8:00pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

What Hiddink has won with a National Team is immaterial!!!
He's taken the most inexperienced team in a world cup to the Semifinal.
I think that is enough achievement and this is why he gets jobs in Europe.
Amodu's credentials cannot take him to the job of the manager of Lesotho. . . .That's the difference.

What Amodu has won at national level is immaterial. He has won a decent amount at club level. Even Siasia is yet to win anything.

He has taken teams under rubbish FA to 2 WCs and 2 SF at ANC.

If Keshi and Chukwu can get jobs, then Amodu can. Non-white coaches struggle to get top jobs in and out of the local region.

~Sauron~:

How can Hiddink be sub-par?
He's one of the most brilliant managers in Europe - his records speak for itself.
Hiddink does not have to win a world cup to prove his credentials. His achievement in 2002 stunned the whole world.

Hiddink also failed with Russia, a very strong team.

Amodu has one of the best records for an African coach.

~Sauron~:

Which job came first?
National team job or Barcelona job?

For Rijkaard, national.

~Sauron~:

Food posioning in 2002, food posioning in 2010.
Amodu must be cursed. grin

In 2010, he took the joint-5th best team in Africa to 3rd place whilst majority of your Oyinbo messiahs fell with stronger teams at QFs.

~Sauron~:

That he qualified Korea for the round of 16 was in itself a big achievement.
Everything he achieved after that was a surplus to requirements.

Amodu met his targets and his players disappointed to progress further.

Lageerback failed.

~Sauron~:

Amodu did not dominate any Ghana side.
His team were played off the park by a youthful side.
They completely outthunk, outfoxed and outwitted Amodu. The best your manager could offer was chewing his cud.

Absolute clunking, rubbish LIE!

Listen to commentator at 25 seconds, this is 10 mins to go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7k61WAlmsE&feature=related

Absolute clunking, rubbish LIE! STOP LYING!

~Sauron~:

LIES LIES LIES. . . . .
Arguing about money made him lose to a 10-man Senegalese side?
I laugh in Arabic - what won't a moronic manager use as an excuse?

Lies that what? They did not argue over money a night before?

Should a team playing a SF be arguing over money?

~Sauron~:

Which coach did i praise highly? Lagerback or who?

Bonfrere that you said won Olympics. Does that not make him a great manager?  grin

~Sauron~:

Kindly list the FIFA rankings of the teams Amodu played in the WC qualification in comparison to Nigeria.
That will help this debate a lit.

FIFA ranking is shyt.

If you disagree, then you just clearly unequivocally and unambigiously stated that Amodu was terrific because he took us from FIFA ranking of 46th to 15th by the end of ANC. The highest ranking for Nigeria since 2006.

Lagerback took Sweden to 37th from 13th.  undecided

Do you still want to use FIFA rankings or you are going to deluge me with excuses and rationalisations?

~Sauron~:

Lagerback worked with the rot Amodu left and he had to prepare them for 3 weeks.
The Swedish manager is not a magician. What Amodu spoilt for several months cannot be cleaned up in 3 weeks but nevertheless, we all saw how he made the SE play superbly creating tons of chances against decent sides in the WC.

Amodu took the players to achieve and win OVERWHELMING majority of matches, Lagerback took them to failure winning NOEN due to the oceans of errors he made and the fact he did not know the players.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by montelik(m): 8:04pm On Jun 26, 2010
@ Sauron everything you are writing is a bag of walking contradictions.  Westerhof got the finals of the ANC in 1990, but could only finished 3rd in 1992. By the standard you are now employing I am sure you would have sacked him for going backwards from 2nd to 3rd. It took Westerhof 3 consecutive ANC appearances to finally win One.
So Nigeria is so good to walk through WC qualification abi. I guess that is why we walked through qualification for the 2002 WC. No wait we had to wait till the final day. We also walked through the 2006 qualifiers. No actually we didn't make it.
Do you seriously believe that the "young talents" you see Germany parading at the WC were developed solely by the German coach, or do you believe it was the collective effort of good football structure (functioning F.A, proper government support, effective national team management and a strong domestic league).
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 8:13pm On Jun 26, 2010
montelik:

@ Sauron everything you are writing is a bag of walking contradictions.  Westerhof got the finals of the ANC in 1990, but could only finished 3rd in 1992. By the standard you are now employing I am sure you would have sacked him for going backwards from 2nd to 3rd. It took Westerhof 3 consecutive ANC appearances to finally win One.

Cherry picking facts.

montelik:

So Nigeria is so good to walk through WC qualification abi. I guess that is why we walked through qualification for the 2002 WC. No wait we had to wait till the final day. We also walked through the 2006 qualifiers. No actually we didn't make it.

SE was strongest in 1990s and yet see our qualifications.

WC 1990 - We did not qualify talkless of walk through.

WC 1994 - We qualified on last day.

WC 1998 - Only time we walked through.

WC 2002 - We qualified on last day due to super-hero Amodu that rescued us.

WC 2006 - We got walked out, not walked through. No qualification.

So Sauron, please explain your logic of how Nigeria should walk through qualifications. I wait.

You want to walk through CIV, Cameroun, Egypt, Tunisia, Ghana, Tunisia, Algeria, Togo, Mali and any other surprises with our mediocre players?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 8:19pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite:

What Amodu has won at national level is immaterial. He has won a decent amount at club level. Even Siasia is yet to win anything.

How can it be immaterial when you still want him to manage a National Side despite failing TWICE?

Siasia played in the final of a FIFA-organised tournament.
Amodu is yet to play in the final with the national team. . . .Where is the comparison here?

He has taken teams under rubbish FA to 2 WCs and 2 SF at ANC.

Keshi took a Togolese side to the WC - Togo of all countries.
Abeg, Amodu cannot use WC qualification to impress me. By default, Nigeria should be qualifying for that.

If Keshi and Chukwu can get jobs, then Amodu can.

So let him go and try his hands elsewhere.
Somalia or Rwanda would be ma suggestion - where he can be shot if he fails.

Hiddink also failed with Russia, a very strong team.
Amodu has one of the best records for an African coach.

Failed with Russia?
List the FIFA rankings of the teams Russia played in the WCQ phase?

For Rijkaard, national.

So Rijkaard failed as a National team coach. . . . .Cleaned up his acts, won league titles with Barcelona and also won the Champions League.
Amodu won useless titles with BCC Gboko and then failed TWICE to take Nigeria to the final of a competition where they were always favourites to win. What is the correlation between the 2 managers? Please ask yourself!!!

In 2010, he took the joint-5th best team in Africa to 3rd place whilst majority of your Oyinbo messiahs fell with stronger teams at QFs.

Joint 5th best team in Africa?
When did Nigeria deteriorate to 5th?
As at 2000 when Bonfrere was the manager, Nigeria played in the final of the competition(the last time we did).
Amodu should be tried for treasonable felony!!!

Amodu met his targets and his players disappointed to progress further.

Show us the targets the NFF gave Amodu when he was appointed!!!
That will clear things up.

Lageerback failed.

I disagree. . . .

Absolute clunking, rubbish LIE!

Listen to commentator at 25 seconds, this is 10 mins to go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7k61WAlmsE&feature=related

Absolute clunking, rubbish LIE! STOP LYING!

Which commentator?
Nigeria were beaten bluish blackish. . . . . . I don't care what any daft commentator said.
The matchday thread of that particular match is on Nairaland. . . . .I can extract it so you can read the minute by minute comments.
Amodu is clueless!

Lies that what? They did not argue over money a night before?

What has that gotta do with the performance?
If money argument was the reason they lost in the Semis, why didn't they lose the 3rd place match?

Should a team playing a SF be arguing over money?

They argued over money in 94 and they won the Nations Cup.
Amodu is a failure.

Bonfrere that you said won Olympics. Does that not make him a great manager?  grin

Very great. He won the Olympics(The first African side to do it).
He almost won the Nations Cup in 2000 but for a dodgy referee in the penalty shoot-out disallowing Ikpeba's goal.

FIFA ranking is shyt.

Yes, FIFA ranking is shit.
It says Brazil is better than Nigeria but we all know Nigeria is miles better than Brazil.

If you disagree, then you just clearly unequivocally and unambigiously stated that Amodu was terrific because he took us from FIFA ranking of 40 or so to Top 20 by the end of ANC.

This is ridiculous.
What was Nigeria's ranking in 2002 before Amodu became the team manager? 40th? grin grin grin grin

Do you still want to use FIFA rankings or you are going to deluge me with excuses and rationalisations?

FIFA ranking shows the present strength of the national teams in the world.
Under Bonfrere, i know Nigeria were pretty strong until the daft local champion took the Eagles from their grace to the gutter.

Amodu took the players to achieve and win OVERWHELMING majority of his matchs, Lagerback took them to failure winning NOEN due to the oceans of errors he made and the fact he did not know the players.

What did the players achieve under Amodu? grin
Playing useless teams like Kenya, Mozambique and Comoros Island? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 8:28pm On Jun 26, 2010
montelik:

But the progress was there for all to see.
Gradually, Westerhof took local talents, sent em to Europe and they were being developed.
We all knew it was a matter of time before that Super Eagles side would win something. . . .It was so obvious the NFA back then didn't sack Westerhof cos they know his players were work-in-progress and they reaped the benefits in 1994.

Do you seriously believe that the "young talents" you see Germany parading at the WC were developed solely by the German coach, or do you believe it was the collective effort of good football structure (functioning F.A, proper government support, effective national team management and a strong domestic league).

Good football structure ma ass?
What was the quality of the football structure in Nigeria when Westerhof was doing wonders with the Super Eagles?

Sagamite:

Cherry picking facts.

Call it whatever. . . . .Amodu is a useless coach.

SE was strongest in 1990s and yet see our qualifications.

WC 1990 - We did not qualify talkless of walk through.

WC 1994 - We qualified on last day.

WC 1998 - Only time we walked through.

WC 2002 - We qualified on last day due to super-hero Amodu that rescued us.

WC 2006 - We got walked out, not walked through. No qualification.

So Sauron, please explain your logic of how Nigeria should walk through qualifications. I wait.

You want to walk through CIV, Cameroun, Egypt, Tunisia, Ghana, Tunisia, Algeria, Togo, Mali and any other surprises with our mediocre players?

Hehehehehe. . . . . .Talking about clutching at straws.
Sagamite wants to compare qualification in the 90s when fewer teams represent Africa in the WC to the present age where 5 African teams must play in the world cup. How brilliant?

This is like comparing teams that qualified for Champions League in the years where only League Champions could play in the competition and NOW that 4 teams represent the Premiership in Europe.
This is not how to win a debate. . . . . .It was 50000% harder to qualify for the World Cup in the 90s than in 2002 and 2010.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

How can it be immaterial when you still want him to manage a National Side despite failing TWICE?

The same way it is immaterial to you that Hiddink has failed to win anything with 4 countries.

~Sauron~:

Siasia played in the final of a FIFA-organised tournament.
Amodu is yet to play in the final with the national team. . . .Where is the comparison here?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LWKMD

Now see as we get excuses and rationalisations when we apply the cherry to someone else.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So it is now finals, no more YOU MUST WIN?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sauron, Sauron!!! grin grin grin grin grin

OK. Amodu has qualified for every FIFA-organised tournament he has led Nigeria and won a medal in every CAF-organised tournament he was competed in, so by that logic, if Amodu was allowed to lead us to a FIFA-organised tournament, he would have won something. Maybe Gold, maybe Silver, Maybe Bronze.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

~Sauron~:

Keshi took a Togolese side to the WC - Togo of all countries.
Abeg, Amodu cannot use WC qualification to impress me. By default, Nigeria should be qualifying for that.

Amodu qualified for WC twice, the only African coach to have achieved such.

Keshi failed the second time.  cheesy

Oya, cherry pick another rule.  grin grin grin Say Amodu is too fat to inspire the boys and I will find you a world class fat coach.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

~Sauron~:

So let him go and try his hands elsewhere.
Somalia or Rwanda would be ma suggestion - where he can be shot if he fails.

He is still being paid cool dough by Nigeria. He may be qualifying another nation soon.

~Sauron~:

Failed with Russia?
List the FIFA rankings of the teams Russia played in the WCQ phase?

FIFA ranking is rubbish. Russia had stars and they got thrashed by ordinary SLOVENIA.

~Sauron~:

So Rijkaard failed as a National team coach. . . . .Cleaned up his acts, won league titles with Barcelona and also won the Champions League.
Amodu won useless titles with BCC Gboko and then failed TWICE to take Nigeria to the final of a competition where they were always favourites to win. What is the correlation between the 2 managers? Please ask yourself!!!

Until Rijkaard wins with a national team, he is as rubbish as Amodu.

Na your rules o, no be my own.  grin

~Sauron~:

Joint 5th best team in Africa?
When did Nigeria deteriorate to 5th?

A long time ago. You miss it (as becomerich would say).  grin

~Sauron~:

As at 2000 when Bonfrere was the manager, Nigeria played in the final of the competition(the last time we did).
Amodu should be tried for treasonable felony!!!

So should Hiddink and Rijkaard.  grin

~Sauron~:

Show us the targets the NFF gave Amodu when he was appointed!!!
That will clear things up.

It was reported in the papers that NFF (former NFA o) gave Amodu a SF target for ANC 2010. Simples.

~Sauron~:

I disagree. . . .

No improvements, no achievements, massive deterioration in win rates/results = failure!!!

~Sauron~:

Which commentator?
Nigeria were beaten bluish blackish. . . . . . I don't care what any daft commentator said.
The matchday thread of that particular match is on Nairaland. . . . .I can extract it so you can read the minute by minute comments.
Amodu is clueless!

You lied, cut it out.

Nigeria dominated. Ghana defended. Simples.

~Sauron~:

What has that gotta do with the performance?
If money argument was the reason they lost in the Semis, why didn't they lose the 3rd place match?

They lost semi becausee they got no sleep and were arguing all night due to the shock of the disappointment.

Third place was a mixture of facing reality and getting some sleep and obviously because of Amodu's genius against all odds.

~Sauron~:

They argued over money in 94 and they won the Nations Cup.
Amodu is a failure.

Nope. They did not.

~Sauron~:

Very great. He won the Olympics(The first African side to do it).
He almost won the Nations Cup in 2000 but for a dodgy referee in the penalty shoot-out disallowing Ikpeba's goal.

But he could not qualify us for WC and Amodu was the super hero that saved us. Evidence that if Amodu is allowed to lead us to Olympics or even WC, we would have won as he is a better coach than Bonfrere.  grin grin grin grin

~Sauron~:

Yes, FIFA ranking is poo.
It says Brazil is better than Nigeria but we all know Nigeria is miles better than Brazil.

Up to you. Take it or leave it.

You want to use FIFA rankings? No rationalisation or excuses to fit your cherry?  grin

~Sauron~:

This is ridiculous.
What was Nigeria's ranking in 2002 before Amodu became the team manager? 40th? grin grin grin grin

Before he took over in 2008, we were 46th, when he left we were 15th.

Do you want to use FIFA rankings?  grin grin grin grin

~Sauron~:

FIFA ranking shows the present strength of the national teams in the world.
Under Bonfrere, i know Nigeria were pretty strong until the daft local champion took the Eagles from their grace to the gutter.

No he saved you from Bonfrere.

~Sauron~:

What did the players achieve under Amodu? grin
Playing useless teams like Kenya, Mozambique and Comoros Island? grin grin grin

More than they achieved under Lagerback that could not beat NI or Albania with world class players and then took us to a humiliating WC where every analyst lambasted our performance.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 8:50pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

Hehehehehe. . . . . .Talking about clutching at straws.
Sagamite wants to compare qualification in the 90s when fewer teams represent Africa in the WC to the present age where 5 African teams must play in the world cup. How brilliant?

This is like comparing teams that qualified for Champions League in the years where only League Champions could play in the competition and NOW that 4 teams represent the Premiership in Europe.
This is not how to win a debate. . . . . .It was 50000% harder to qualify for the World Cup in the 90s than in 2002 and 2010.

No.

FIFA is not stewpid. The increased number of places is a reflection of the increase in strength of African countries in football. It was increased from 3 to 5.

The Benin, Mali, CIV and Togo of today is much stronger than that of the 90s where CIV had only 2 FBs. Nowadays, all 11 on pitch and the ones on bench would be FBs that have years of training on tactics and game plan. Not the part-time hunters of the 90s.

So No! It is far harder to qualify now.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 8:53pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite:

No.

FIFA is not stewpid. The increased number of places is a reflection of the increase in strength of African countries in football. It was increased from 3 to 5.

The Benin, Mali, CIV and Togo of today is much stronger than that of the 90s where CIV had only 2 FBs. Nowadays, all 11 on pitch and the ones on bench would be FBs that have years of training on tactics and game plan. Not the part-time hunters of the 90s.

So No! It is far harder to qualify now.

U got it all wrong. . . . .
They increased the slots because the number of participating teams expanded from 24 countries to THRITY-TWO.
The Benin, Togo, Mali have not shown significant improvement and FIFA thought a continent of 50+ countries should have about 5 slots in 32.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 9:09pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

U got it all wrong. . . . .
They increased the slots because the number of participating teams expanded from 24 countries to THRITY-TWO.
The Benin, Togo, Mali have not shown significant improvement and FIFA thought a continent of 50+ countries should have about 5 slots in 32.

1998 was when it was increase to 32 teams.

In 1994, our greatest threat was CIV. They played us at WCQs and ANC. See the team list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_African_Cup_of_Nations_%28squads%29#Ivory_Coast

That was one of the strongest teams in AFRICA.

See the team list today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0C.C3.B4te_d.27Ivoire

This is similar for at least 10 African countries now. It is more difficult today.

No more Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite:

1998 was when it was increase to 32 teams.
In 1994, our greatest threat was CIV. They played us at WCQs and ANC. See the team list:

Algeria nko?
The Algeria we couldn't beat on the last day and we had to resort to some desperate time-wasting tactics to cop a draw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_African_Cup_of_Nations_%28squads%29#Ivory_Coast
That was one of the strongest teams in AFRICA.

One of the strongest teams but not the strongest.
Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana and Zambia had stronger teams on show.

See the team list today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0C.C3.B4te_d.27Ivoire
This is similar for at least 10 African countries now. It is more difficult today.

This logic makes me laugh.
Sagamite is trying to convince me that it's more difficult for 5 countries to qualify from 50+ countries THAN 3 countries qualifying from 50+ countries.
Which kind logic be this? Nigeria as a country can never drop below the best 5 countries in Africa - with FIFA needing 5 countries to qualify, it's almost an automatic qualification for Nigeria these days. . . . . .Before now, with 3 African countries qualifying - it is very easy for Nigeria to miss qualification cos Egypt, Cameroon, CIV and one of Tunisia/Morocco are potential threats.

No more Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1

If we have the quality of the Naija team then - we will beat Burkina Faso 10-0.
Yekini, Siasia, Amuneke, Finidi, Amokachi, etc.
Who born Burkina?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 9:37pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

Algeria nko?
The Algeria we couldn't beat on the last day and we had to resort to some desperate time-wasting tactics to cop a draw?

The Algeria that did not even qualify for ANC.

~Sauron~:

One of the strongest teams but not the strongest.
Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana and Zambia had stronger teams on show.

CIV was definitely stronger than Egypt and Zambia.

Don't be mistaken by Zambia getting to the finals. The CIV match in the SF was the real finals. Everyone expected a walkover vs Zambia in finals.

~Sauron~:

This logic makes me laugh.
Sagamite is trying to convince me that it's more difficult for 5 countries to qualify from 50+ countries THAN 3 countries qualifying from 50+ countries.
Which kind logic be this? Nigeria as a country can never drop below the best 5 countries in Africa  - with FIFA needing 5 countries to qualify, it's almost an automatic qualification for Nigeria these days. . . . . .Before now, with 3 African countries qualifying - it is very easy for Nigeria to miss qualification cos Egypt, Cameroon, CIV and one of Tunisia/Morocco are potential threats.

I am trying to convince you that the teams you play in the 90s were poor, even most of the strongest ones, whilst Nigeria was one of the strongest.

But today, the teams you play, even the middle ones like Mali, Benin, SA, Togo, Gabon, Morocco, Angola are good. Plus you are no longer the strongest or even close to it.

When Togo and Angola went to WC, they held their own despite not being a top team in Africa. If such middle pack team had gone in the 90s, na 6-0, 8-1 we go dey hear.

~Sauron~:

If we have the quality of the Naija team then - we will beat Burkina Faso 10-0.
Yekini, Siasia, Amuneke, Finidi, Amokachi, etc.
Who born Burkina?

We don't have the quality anymore and the opposition have upped theirs due to intense help from FIFA to develop their football and more access for players to move abroad. All these did not exist in the 90s when you were playing part-time fishermen and shoe cobblers.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 9:48pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite:

The Algeria that did not even qualify for ANC.
CIV was definitely stronger than Egypt and Zambia.

Kalusha Bwayla's Zambia of 94? I disagree. . . .

Don't be mistaken by Zambia getting to the finals. The CIV match in the SF was the real finals. Everyone expected a walkover vs Zambia in finals.

How was it the real finals?
We made it difficult for ourselves conceding cheap goals and having to come back to clean up our mess.
I don't know whatz so quality about the CIV team in 94?

I am trying to convince you that the teams you play in the 90s were poor, even most of the strongest ones, whilst Nigeria was one of the strongest.

How can they be poor when Cameroon played in the Q/finals of Italia 90. . . .they nearly spanked England sef if not for 2 penalties.
In the same 90 world cup, Egypt didn't lie down in their group.

But today, the teams you play, even the middle ones like Mali, Benin, SA, Togo, Gabon, Morocco, Angola are good. Plus you are no longer the strongest or even close to it.

They are not good. . . . . .Nigeria's standard dropped from the 70th floor to the last floor.
We don't even play exciting football anymore. . . . .In em days, score against Nigeria and feel their fury. . . .
These days, score against Nigeria and the fight is no longer there - that is the seed Amodu planted in the soul of the team.

When Togo and Angola went to WC, they held their own despite not being a top team in Africa. If such team had gone in the 90s, na 6-0, 8-1 we go dey hear.

Held their own and they were eliminated in the group? grin cheesy

We don't have the quality anymore and the opposition have upped theirs due to intense help from FIFA to develop their football and more access for players to move abroad. All these did not exist in the 90s when you were playing part-time fishermen and shoe cobblers.

The opposition didn't up their ante. . . . . .We simply dropped ours.
A football loving country of 150 million population cannot assemble a squad of 23 decent players and make them play.
Shame on NFF - Shame on Amodu!!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Jun 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

Kalusha Bwayla's Zambia of 94? I disagree. . . .

You are too young to remember.  grin

~Sauron~:

How was it the real finals?
We made it difficult for ourselves conceding cheap goals and having to come back to clean up our mess.
I don't know whatz so quality about the CIV team in 94?

CIV had some of the best players including Tiehi that was a runner-up for AFoY.

CIV and Nigeria played the most exciting football in the ANC.

CIV were defending champions had some of the best players and with Nigeria had the upcoming players and had just qualified for WC.

CIV and Nigeria were SFists in the previous ANC.

Zambia were playing with a second string team as they just lost their first team in a plane crash a few weeks earlier.

No, CIV and Nigeria were the deal.

~Sauron~:

How can they be poor when Cameroon played in the Q/finals of Italia 90. . . .they nearly spanked England sef if not for 2 penalties.
In the same 90 world cup, Egypt didn't lie down in their group.

That was an exceptional performance that shocked the world.

Most times, it was expected that no African teams would not go past 1st round. Nowadays, they expect about 2 to be able to. Even with WC2010, they thought 4 were capable.

Unthinkable in the 90s.

~Sauron~:

They are not good. . . . . .Nigeria's standard dropped from the 70th floor to the last floor.
We don't even play exciting football anymore. . . . .In em days, score against Nigeria and feel their fury. . . .
These days, score against Nigeria and the fight is no longer there - that is the seed Amodu planted in the soul of the team.

No, Amodu planted the seed of winning. No loss except to finalists. And he would have done the same at WC. grin

LGBK would let Cape Verde set records on him. I am sure if he is coach, SA would win us for the first time in a competitive match.

Our standard has dropped, alot of team's has risen. The Togo team of Today would thrash the CIV team of 1990. and Togo is not even in the Top 8 teams today.

~Sauron~:

Held their own and they were eliminated in the group? grin cheesy

So you know not getting out of the group is a failure.

So you are just FINALLY confirming to me that LGBK failed. Thank God!!! grin grin grin grin

They held their own as they were not humiliated despite not being in the top 8 or even top 10 (for Angola) teams in Africa. And lost by respectable margins.

Even Angola did not come bottom of their group and got 2 draws with shyt players unlike LGBK's heavy failure that got  Nigeria trounced.

Angola even got a red card and still did not lose to Mexico. Their coach was more tactically competent than LGBK.

~Sauron~:

The opposition didn't up their ante. . . . . .We simply dropped ours.
A football loving country of 150 million population cannot assemble a squad of 23 decent players and make them play.
Shame on NFF - Shame on Amodu!!!!

As I said the Togo and Mali of today are stronger than most top teams in 1994.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 11:21pm On Jun 26, 2010
Sagamite,

The African teams of 90's were stronger than now.

It was difficult for players to play for European clubs because there was a limit on number of foreigners that any club can feature unlike now
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 11:30pm On Jun 26, 2010
dayokanu:

Sagamite,

The African teams of 90's were stronger than now.

It was difficult for players to play for European clubs because there was a limit on number of foreigners that any club can feature unlike now

How many Etoos, Essiens, Drogbas, Adebayors, Jay-Jays, Toures, Diouf, Kanus etc were there in the 90s?

Most of the so called stars back then were 2nd Division stars in Belgium.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 12:15am On Jun 27, 2010
Sagamite:

How many Etoos, Essiens, Drogbas, Adebayors, Jay-Jays, Toures, Diouf, Kanus etc were there in the 90s?

How nah? So because we have more players playing in top clubs in Europe now means that the teams now are stronger than the teams back then? Abeg don't insult players like Yekini, Joel Tiehi, Rabah Madjer, etc

Case study: Are you saying the Super Eagles of Today or even the Eagles of 2008 are a better team than the Eagles of 1990? (not to mention 1992 and 1994)
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:27am On Jun 27, 2010
proudly9ja:

How nah? So because we have more players playing in top clubs in Europe now means that the teams now are stronger than the teams back then? Abeg don't insult players like Yekini, Joel Tiehi, Rabah Madjer, etc

Case study: Are you saying the Super Eagles of Today or even the Eagles of 2008 are a better team than the Eagles of 1990? (not to mention 1992 and 1994)

The CIV of today would beat any team pre-1996.

The Tiehi and Yekinis do not compare to the Drogbas, Etoos, Essiens, Adebayors. No where close.

The SE of today are poorer as they are less skilful, more lazy and poor in midfield.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by A40(m): 12:32am On Jun 27, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

^ tell me why A WHOLE WENGER IS ALLOWED A WHOLE DECADE TO F.CK UP BUT LBK MUST BE CRUCIFIED because OF the foolishness of KAITA, the wastefulness of OBASI and YAK, the ignoramusity of AFOLABI, the selfishness, hypocrisy and foul-mouthedness of OSAZE, and annoyingly the timidity of MARTINS ? Or even so . . .the wholesomely unfortunateness of TT and EUE's injuries ?

When last did Nigerians feel bitter about a loss or lukewarm performance ? With Amodu it was always WYSIWYG !
Wenger's illustration is not applicable here we both know in any other top club in Europe he woulda been sacked in a New York minute. I think what we have here is double-standards! If we crucify Amodu then why should Lagerback be spared considering the fact that he is being paid more and would most likely have more technical and tactical freedom than Amodu no thanks to the Nigerian factor but this problem goes beyond Sports lemme not expatiate on that that's another story

Una no dey even give this man any credit at all! I ain't even saying he is Marcello Lippi or Ottmar Hitzfeld but this guy has qualified us to two WC's he is not as poor as y'all are making him look

dayokanu:

Nigeria played Senegal in a crucial Nations Cup semi finals and the opposition copped a red card in the first half yet They dominated and beat Amodu's side.

Shame.

Ferguson has won CL, Lippi has won CL and world cup, Scolari has won world cup.

What is the high point of Amodus career
What is the high point of Lagerback's career?? Which kin comparison you dey make sef

dayokanu:

I remember Amodu playing vs 10 Senegalese in 2002 for over 90minutes and still lost
Errm i also remember the great Berti Vogts losing to a 10 man Ghanian team and in regulation time too. Was it Amodu that missed the spot-kick that woulda taken us to the Finals?? This una double-standards too much
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 1:40am On Jun 27, 2010

That was the era of Weah, Abedi Pele, Finidi Tony Yeboah, who were greater than most people you mentioned here

How many of those above would get into their team if they are allowed just 3 foreigners?

Jayjay is not even a great player to start with a even Omar Ben Sallah and Youseff Fofana were better.

Would Adebayor play if Man City was only allowed 3 foreigners? In this past season, Would Etoo have played for Inter if they were allowed 3 foreigners only?

The great Rashidi Yekini had to sit down in African Sports of Abidjan for ages

What is the high point of Lagerback's career?? Which kin comparison you dey make sef

Topping a group of England and Argentina. Which far outweighs anything Amodu ever achieved Amodu couldnt even top a group of Egypt, Benin and Mozambique

Errm i also remember the great Berti Vogts losing to a 10 man Ghanian team and in regulation time too. Was it Amodu that missed the spot-kick that woulda taken us to the Finals?? This una double-standards too much

If Nigeria can parade Yobo, Taribo, Ikpeba, Finidi, Okocha, Kanu, Celestine and Aghahowa to beat a 10 man Senegal
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by A40(m): 2:21am On Jun 27, 2010
dayokanu:

Topping a group of England and Argentina. Which far outweighs anything Amodu ever achieved Amodu couldnt even top a group of Egypt, Benin and Mozambique
Topping a group at the WC is now an achievement?? Hee Hee Haw  grin grin I laugh in Saheed Osupa so of what use was topping the group only to fall at the first hurdle in the next round?? Does that not tell you he is the biggest fluke in coaching history? What has he won even if na Allsvenskan league we would manage just tell us

dayokanu:

If Nigeria can parade Yobo, Taribo, Ikpeba, Finidi, Okocha, Kanu, Celestine and Aghahowa to beat a 10 man Senegal
God don catch you! As this same Senegal went on to beat the supposed great Lars Lagerwhack at the WC
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 4:30am On Jun 27, 2010
A-40:

Wenger's illustration is not applicable here we both know in any other top club in Europe he woulda been sacked in a New York minute. I think what we have here is double-standards! If we crucify Amodu then why should Lagerback be spared considering the fact that he is being paid more and would most likely have more technical and tactical freedom than Amodu no thanks to the Nigerian factor but this problem goes beyond Sports lemme not expatiate on that that's another story

Una no dey even give this man any credit at all! I ain't even saying he is Marcello Lippi or Ottmar Hitzfeld but this guy has qualified us to two WC's he is not as poor as y'all are making him look

Thank you jor, once again.

They will turn around and mention SAF, Mourinho, Hiddink, Capello, Ancelotti, Lippi etc's achievements to compare Amodu with and say he is rubbish.

Like if every coach that is not as good as these guys is rubbish.

Like if these guys did not achieve with immense financial support, superior facilities & systems, tactical freedom, time and several world class players in their team.

Such unbelievably lame comparison.

Like if every 100m athlete that is not as good as Bolt is rubbish. Every car that is not a Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lambourghini is sub-standard. Every artiste that does not sell as much as R.Kelly, MJ, Jay Z, MJB is untallented.

Lame excuses to condemn Amodu.

A-40:

No ask that one o. Dem go kpeme dem mouth immediately.  grin grin grin grin grin

Yet they would talk about the "capabilities and tactical nous" he demonstrated at the WC2010 to the point you would think his biggest success is leading SE to 2 defeats and a draw in WC.  cheesy grin

A-40:

No mind dem.

All the teams Amodu has lost to have reached WC QFs and have showed they are the best team in Africa for that year.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 4:58am On Jun 27, 2010
dayokanu:

That was the era of Weah, Abedi Pele, Finidi Tony Yeboah, who were greater than most people you mentioned here

What has Weah got to do with anything?

You think Liberia would be able to beat anybody?

Abedi and Yeboah were playing with average Ghana team mates, and I do not think Yeboah comes close to Essien in anyway.

dayokanu:

How many of those above would get into their team if they are allowed just 3 foreigners?

Kanu played in the period of 3 foreigners and won CL.

I don't think you would doubt Drogba, Etoo, Essien and Adebayor would enter the teams of even the biggest clubs irrespective of 3 foreigners restriction. Talkless of average and smaller clubs.

dayokanu:

Jayjay is not even a great player to start with a even Omar Ben Sallah and Youseff Fofana were better.

Jay jay is far better than them.

Jay jay is the most skilful and naturally gifted player to come out of Africa.

dayokanu:

Would Adebayor play if Man City was only allowed 3 foreigners? In this past season, Would Etoo have played for Inter if they were allowed 3 foreigners only?

Yes, Adebayor would. Unlike Drogba and co, he might not tie it down as a birth right but he would surely have a fair number of games to be seen as a key member.

Please stop comparing Etoo of today that is still solid. Compare Etoo of 4 years ago when he was virtually the best striker in the world.

Yet, the Etoo of today still has more chance than ALL strikers in Africa (bar Weah) in the early 90s to enter any team with foreigner restrictions.

dayokanu:

The great Rashidi Yekini had to sit down in African Sports of Abidjan for ages

As great as Yekini is, he does not come close to Drogba or Etoo.

dayokanu:

That is achievement? LWKMD  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Abeg, cut off this pathetic, lame points.

Sweden did not even win Argentina or England. And that is your sense of achievement?

Unbelievable, absolute pathetic, lame points.

It just makes you look pathetic in your critique of Amodu and a serious, disciplined, obsessed oyinbo arse-kisser.

Topping a group is better that laurels won and winning stats? Shocking.  undecided

I wonder whether you would say the same thing if their records were swapped.

Pathetic, lame points.

dayokanu:

And explain to me how a team that parades Figo, Christiano, Maniche, Cavalho, Deco, Ferreira, Pauleta etc cannot beat a team of part-timers and 3rd division players in Austrian & German League that play for a country with 28K people.

Or can you compare Finidi, Yobo and likes to those players? Or can you compare the fishmongers of Leichenstein to a team that reached WC QFs and beat world champions?

That is a far far stronger team not being able to beat a far far far far far weaker team. And the far far stronger team did not have a camp disruption. They slept well and were focused on the task.

Is it not more of a failure that Portugal could not beat that team, than Amodu not beating 10 man Senegal?

Does that mean Scolari is a useless coach?

I would really like you to answer the questions.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Princek12(m): 5:33am On Jun 27, 2010
Amodu killed the Eagles. He had time to build a formidable team, but no, he kept using the same players who have peaked, and he refused to infuse fresh talent into the team. He is a fool. How can a sane person use the same useless players day in and day out for two years. He is a typical malo. Siasia builds his team. Even John Obuh is a good coach. Amodu is buffoon.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:30pm On Jun 27, 2010
Princek12:

Amodu killed the Eagles. He had time to build a formidable team, but no, he kept using the same players who have peaked, and he refused to infuse fresh talent into the team. He is a fool. How can a sane person use the same useless players day in and day out for two years. He is a typical malo. Siasia builds his team. Even John Obuh is a good coach. Amodu is buffoon.

So Adeleye, M. Yusuf, Apam, Nsofor, Etuhu, Echiejile, Eneramo, Akpala, Aiyenugba, Anichebe, Ajilore, Mikel, Ike, Kalu are not all fresh talents?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 5:54pm On Jun 27, 2010
Sagamite:

The CIV of today would beat any team pre-1996.

The Tiehi and Yekinis do not compare to the Drogbas, Etoos, Essiens, Adebayors. No where close.

The SE of today are poorer as they are less skilful, more lazy and poor in midfield.

I disagree. . . . . .
The Super Eagles of 94 will beat, slaughter, bludgeon, and cremate any African team today.
I will even go as far as the "dream team" of 96 will beat any African side. . . . .

Drogba does not even come close to Rasheed Yekini. . . .Top scorer in the Portugese league(90 goals in 108 apps). Drogba fit beat that?
Computer cannot count the number of goals Yekini got for Victoria Setubal in the early 90s.
The only problem with em Yekinis in those days is that they couldn't play for BIG SIDES like the Drogbas of today because of the Pre-Bosman era.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2010
~Sauron~:

I disagree. . . . . .
The Super Eagles of 94 will beat, slaughter, bludgeon, and cremate any African team today.
I will even go as far as the "dream team" of 96 will beat any African side. . . . .

Honestly, we over-hype our 1994 team. They were good but not that special.

The euphoria just got too deep into our heads.

Their is nothing they did at WC that has not been bettered by the Camerounians of 1990, Senegalese of 2002 and now the Ghanians (who I think for SF by the way).

I would say with all confidence that the present team of CIV (both playing at their best) would beat them.

The strongest Nigerian team would have been 1996, but that arsehole, in hell now, got us banned.

~Sauron~:

Drogba does not even come close to Rasheed Yekini. . . .Top scorer in the Portugese league(90 goals in 108 apps). Drogba fit beat that?
Computer cannot count the number of goals Yekini got for Victoria Setubal in the early 90s.
The only problem with em Yekinis in those days is that they couldn't play for BIG SIDES like the Drogbas of today because of the Pre-Bosman era.

Honestly, you must be having a laugh comparing Yekini to Drogba.

One is AFoY once with good goal scoring abilities (alot of it in Div 2), the other is a World class player that competes for WFoY (mostly in the Top 10, highest was 4th), has been AFoY twice and has been in the top 3 of AFoY since 2003 (bar 2008), has good goal scoring records against top opposition in top flight and can lift a team to great heights.

Absolutely no comparisons.

Drogba is in the leagues of Etoo and Weah.

Yekini is no competition, none whatsoever.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2010
Sagamite:

So Adeleye, M. Yusuf, Apam, Nsofor, Etuhu, Echiejile, Eneramo, Akpala, Aiyenugba, Anichebe, Ajilore, Mikel, Ike, Kalu are not all fresh talents?

Ive told you to stop giving credit to whom it is not due.
Of all the players in your list, the only player Amodu brought to the National team was Eneramo and Echiejile (note the latter was a junior international but Il give Amodu credit for bringing him into the National team set up).

The rest of the 'quality' players in that list were pre Amodu.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 6:38pm On Jun 27, 2010
Sagamite:

Honestly, we over-hype our 1994 team. They were good but not that special.
The euphoria just got too deep into our heads.
Their is nothing they did at WC that has not been bettered by the Camerounians of 1990, Senegalese of 2002 and now the Ghanians (who I think for SF by the way).

USA 94 team was better than any African team that has been to the world cup.
Cameroon of 1990? Fraud!!! They were beaten by England(Semi-finalists). . . . .
Senegal of 2002? Bigger Fraud!!! They were beaten by Turkey(Semi-finalists0.
USA 94 team? Solid!!!  Beaten by Italy(a team that narrowly missed the world cup trophy via penalty shoot-out).

I would say with all confidence that the present team of CIV (both playing at their best) would beat them.

Not possible. . . . . .There's no player in the present CIV team better than Finidi, Amokachie, Amuneke, Siasia and Yekini.
I will not even bother with Ben Iroha, Chidi Nwanu and Peter Rufai.
If you could get players with the same measure of talents today. . . .all of them would be playing in  major European sides.
It was harder to play in a big team then('8 + 3' RULE) than now when Arsenal and Inter Milan can name a team of 11 foreigners.

The strongest Nigerian team would have been 1996, but that arsehole, in hell now, got us banned.

1994 was the height. . . . . . .Nigeria were heads n shoulders better than any African side then.
We went as far as being rated the 5th best team in the world.
It wasn't only about winning but the brand of attacking football they displayed. The travel time of the ball from Rufai to Yekini was less than 10 secs.

Honestly, you must be having a laugh comparing Yekini to Drogba.

Drogba played in the golden age era where a talentless twunt like Mikel could play for Chelsea.
Where Kalou and buffons like Keita can play for Barcelona. By your estimation, Seydou Keita is better than Sunday Oliseh?
Go and watch Tunisia 94 clips all over again. . . . . .90% of the goals Nigeria scored were laid on the plate by Oliseh.
He was a truly world class player but the opportunities pre-1995 were STRICTLY limited.

One is AFoY once with good goal scoring abilities (alot of it in Div 2), the other is a World class player that competes for WFoY (mostly in the Top 10, highest was 4th), has been AFoY twice and has been in the top 3 of AFoY since 2003 (bar 2008), has good goal scoring records against top opposition in top flight and can lift a team to great heights.

The era is different.
Drogba can NEVER compare to Rasheed Yekini in his prime. No comparison, abeg.
Yekini is 500000000 times better than Drogba can be and i ain't even tryna joke.

Drogba is in the leagues of Etoo and Weah.
Yekini is no competition, none whatsoever.

Yekini is betetr than Etoo and Drogba.
George Weah will be at par. . . . . . . . .
I don't think any striker in Africa had the nuclear threat Yekini has got.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply)

Photos Of Beautiful Ladies Spotted At Russia 2018 World Cup Stadiums / Victor Anichebe And Maggie Malcheva, His Girlfriend Meet His Family In Anambra / Ethiopia Vs Nigeria - AFCON 2013 (0 - 2) On 29th January 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.