Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate (1546 Views)

UNILAG Graduate Returns To His Old School, Donates N1m After 5yrs (Photos) / Why I Cried When I Graduated With First Class Degree- Oshunniyi, UNILAG Graduate / Amazing Picture Of Unilag Graduate And Parents In Just Concluded Convocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 4:28pm On May 25, 2018

During the recent convocation of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Dr. Wale Babalakin, the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the institution’s Governing Council, made the issue of meagre funding of public universities stick out like a sore thumb when he drew attention to how the institution is struggling to maintain high standards in terms of teaching, learning and infrastructural development. With more questions than answers, Head, Education Desk, IYABO LAWAL, writes that more action is needed than rhetoric

Excerpt

Babalakin is not oblivious to the major challenge of funding plaguing the university. He admitted that more needs to be done to put education in its proper place in Nigeria.He said: “There have been serious plans for education to be free at all levels. My position is that if there’s a choice between free education and good education at all levels, I choose the latter. It requires N1.2 million on the average to thoroughly teach a properly accredited course in the university. With the population of about 40,000 at UNILAG, we require N48 billion per annum. We are able to attract about N10 billion or N11 billion from the Federal Government.”

From the Above we can deduce that Unilag currently gets average of #275,000 per annum on behalf of each student which is exclusive of tuition fees.

This is a school with comatose infrastructures.

https://m.guardian.ng/features/education/balancing-rhetoric-and-action-in-varsity-funding/

Cc: HigherEd, TheVictorious, SammieJayH Lalasticlala.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by HigherEd: 4:32pm On May 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Excerpt

From the Above we can deduce that Unilag currently gets average of #275,000 per annum on behalf of each student which is exclusive of tuition fees.

https://m.guardian.ng/features/education/balancing-rhetoric-and-action-in-varsity-funding/

Cc: HigherEd, TheVictorious, SammieJay Lalasticlala.
He say comatose grin

Yea I remembered Okebukola alluding to such figures during AVCNU. If our people understood this probably they wouldn't be hounding the churches that have contributed immensely to higher education in Nigeria.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 9:10pm On May 25, 2018
HigherEd:

He say comatose grin

Yea I remembered Okebukola alluding to such figures during AVCNU. If our people understood this probably they wouldn't be hounding the churches that have contributed immensely to higher education in Nigeria.
The UI figure is even higher than this.
I hope the public uni folks who abuse private uni owners have a better idea of what goes into their less funded and significantly subsidized education.
The unilag authorities are pushing for N1.2 million per student per year. That's N4.8m per student on a 4 year program and N6m for a 5 year program but same unilag grads think 800,000 is huge in private unis.
Lalasticlala, people need to see this. It is important for our civic growth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by JoyIsSweet: 10:47pm On May 25, 2018
Yet they will gradute to pursue a career in slaying.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:11am On May 26, 2018
Interesting.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by TheVictorious(m): 7:57am On May 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Excerpt

Cc: HigherEd, TheVictorious, SammieJayH Lalasticlala.

Actually, that's quite a lot of money but it's not being invested on the students in any way due to mismanagement. However, I wonder why these students call out on students and graduates of private universities who pay for the education they deserve/desire, with no support from the government, even though they equally pay tax!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 9:37am On May 26, 2018
post=67886167:
Interesting.
Thank you.
This is indeed interesting considering the fact that these graduate sometimes cheat to get admitted in the first place and don't utilze the skilled acquired after graduation.
Even more interesting is the fact that most federal unis tend to admit more local indegenes.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The UI figure is even higher than this.
I hope the public uni folks who abuse private uni owners have a better idea of what goes into their less funded and significantly subsidized education.
The unilag authorities are pushing for N1.2 million per student per year. That's N4.8m per student on a 4 year program and N6m for a 5 year program but same unilag grads think 800,000 is huge in private unis.
Lalasticlala, people need to see this. It is important for our civic growth.

I really don't agree that the same Unilag graduate thinks any amount is too costly for education, he's far exposed and he knows better. What I think is that it's a popular opinion among the masses that religious affiliated institutions like Covenant should subsidize tuition from the numerous funds generated from tithes and offerings to enable the children of the average class afford education. This is not entirely impossible. Sometimes back, I read how Bishop Oyedepo made tuition free at Omu Aran for students studying agricultural related courses. No one will ask Atiku university or Bells to cut tuition with the understanding that it's private and established for the purpose of making money amongst other things.

I don't blame the public, neither do I blame the universities. I believe these schools are trying to put things in place at this early stage. Better days are ahead if they aren't completely profit oriented.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 3:00pm On May 26, 2018
^^^@writerights, most people don't have any idea how costly good university education can be. The owners of Covenant and Landmark are trying already. They even subsidizing the schools yearly and it will be wrong to subsidize everybody just for affordability sake.
Currently the schools (Covenant , Landmark) have chosen set standard they intend to maintain and they are giving scholarship to some students then making others pay. With this arrangement the poor can afford the school through scholarship.

If we keep insisting that the school be hugely subsidized to make it affordable to all, then they can choose to admit only the number of students that are currently enjoying scholarship and tag it cheap but in the real sense they only put few students on scholarship. I don't know if you get the logic here.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Thank you.
This is indeed interesting considering the fact that these graduate sometimes cheat to get admitted in the first place and don't utilze the skilled acquired after graduation.
Even more interesting is the fact that most federal unis tend to admit more local indegenes.

Not utilizing the skills acquired on completion of one's programme bothers on several factors including capital, government policies not friendly to start-up businesses, the Nigerian unemployment rate and many more. I should inform you that all Nigerians irrespective of the school attended face this barrier. Interesting? Yes it is.

Admitting more locals shouldn't be our problem. I really don't know where locals should go when a federal university is around their region. There are a lot of factors in selecting an institution of choice, location is one of it. I wouldn't go to the North for anything related to studies because I fear not. However, you'd be surprised to know the number of non indigenous students in these schools. All my closest friends in school are from Eastern and South Southern Nigeria. There are many more of them all around too.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 3:08pm On May 26, 2018
^^^^Challenges exist but as a private uni grad conscious of what went into ones education there is a harder push to break that barrier.

Imagine this scenario, A microbiology grad from let's say UI where the FG subsidy figure is around 400,000/year graduates and can't get a job then decides to raise capital to buy keke or go to Europe via desert for manual labor.

Same graduate could have linked up with one or two other microbiology grads in same shoes and started a laboratory. It can even even give them working experience to secure a good visa in future but no the average grad isn't thinking in that direction. They think govt owes them direct jobs. Govt only owes them a conducive atmosphere to thrive. It is sickening.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
^^^@writerights, most people don't have any idea how costly good university education can be. The owners of Covenant and Landmark are trying already. They even subsidizing the schools yearly and it will be wrong to subsidize everybody just for affordability sake.
Currently the schools (Covenant , Landmark) have chosen set standard they intend to maintain and they are giving scholarship to some students then making others pay. With this arrangement the poor can afford the school through scholarship.

If we keep insisting that the school be hugely subsidized to make it affordable to all, then they can choose to admit only the number of students that are currently enjoying scholarship and tag it cheap but in the real sense they only put few students on scholarship. I don't know if you get the logic here.

I get you sir. Nigerians are very poor people, if not, tuition charged by private owned schools is still really small for the quality of education we want for a "supernatural turn around", like papa would say, which we crave for in Nigeria.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 3:23pm On May 26, 2018
writerights:

I get you sir. Nigerians are very poor people, if not, tuition charged by private owned schools is still really small for the quality of education we want for a "supernatural turn around", like papa would say, which we crave for in Nigeria.
There are poor Nigerians but I think you are ignoring the crooked minded ones. Some of these poor Nigerians bribe their way through subsidized public unis with hundreds o thousands knowing fully well that they are enjoying subsidy fraudulently and brag about it.
Re: Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate by CodeTemplar: 10:29am On Sep 01, 2018
lalasticlala.

(1) (Reply)

The Number Of Recorded Pregnancy Cases In Benin Republic Secondary Schools / Federal Government Disposition Towards ASUU's Demand / Update On Ust Post Ume Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.