Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,690 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Arrested During A Game Of Pool - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arrested During A Game Of Pool (2846 Views)

How To Register And Book A Game On Bet9ja "Bet9ja Booking Codes" / Anichebe Slams Kit Harington, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Actor For Snubbing Him / Game Of Thrones World Cup Kits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arrested During A Game Of Pool by webbo(m): 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2007
I get bored sitting at home on the weekends (who doesn't?). Yesterday, I decided to pay yet anoda visit to a pool parlor in my area of town (Lagos). I had barely spent about 2 hours when plainclothes policemen came in and arrested everyone within the bar.(Their excuse? They got an anonymous tip that "Cult boys" were fighting within the bar and disturbing the peace.) Ok. So I get bundled into a danfo along with 15 other boys to the nearest station amidst threats of lifethreatening injury if i don't comply and we get thrown behind the counter. A couple of the boys i'm with know the 411 and start making calls " Lasisi, E ma bo wa Sabo ,E mowo dani o"(Lasisi, Come to Sabo Station with some money) but idealistic me's still wondering when i'm goingto be offered an explanation on why i was picked up.
After a quasi-interrogation: Who r u? Where d'u work? Show some ID, What happened at the bar tonite? Ok sit on the floor and take off your shoes!!!!! What??: We were left on the floor for about 90 minutes. Then the namecalling began: An officer would come around, call 2 or 3 boys and that would b the last we'll see of them. Eventually I summoned up enuf courage and talk to one of the lowlives; He asks me for 5k before i can b "released". I eventually part with about 2k cos it's like midnite and i had people to do and things to see today, One of them being to have a word with the proprietor of the parlor(a fellow pool enthusiast), demanding an explanation on why a honest respectable citizen like yours truly who's only "sin" that nite was the love of a board game would be subjected to such utter humiliation within his premises. Providence saved me the trip however as just as i was stepping out, along came the proprietor himself. Now i'm thinking, ok this guys's even civil enuf to come stand up for his patrons; so i ease up on the accusations and innocently ask what his take on the whole issue was.
Dude begins to talk and I realize I just made a very serious error of character. He's like the standing agreement between him and the cops in the area is that once they catch a scent (real or imagined) of anything noisy around his parlor, a round up, arrest (and extortion) should follow. IMAGINE!!!!! IMAGINE DE LA PRENIYON!!!!!! I just walk away disappointed in the whole concept of a country we call Nigeria, too tired to begin to explain to him how tonite's event, if frequent enuf could turn his place into a ghost parlor. If Dude don't get it. It's not my business. I can live without pool!!!
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by DeepSoul(f): 8:01pm On Mar 19, 2007
Atleast in ur case, their reason was almost "legit-sounding"!

Abt an 3hrs ago, I was in the salon whn a man walked in complaining he'd just been arrested.

His offence? He stopped on d road to ask an aboki what the naira equivalent of $100 is! Immediately he was told, the police (dressed in mufty) swamped in on him, took him to their station and asked why he was enquiring for the naira equivalent of $100! He subsequently had to part with N1,500 to secure his fredom!

Isnt that just plain crazy! Those entrusted with the duty of securing our lives and property are now the same pple we try to secure our lives and property from! Isnt it just ironic!

Isnt it bad enough that they cant do their primary duty - secure lives and property. Do they have to make it worse by posing as a serious threat to innocent pple?! DO THEY!
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by akara(m): 8:40pm On Mar 19, 2007
grin

Thank your God that you came out alive, many are charged or left in there if no help comes.

grin
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by oom62: 9:45pm On Mar 19, 2007
May God punish these people for inflicting pain on the innocent and God help Nigeria!
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by BlackMamba(m): 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2007
We need people to stand up for their right, even in the face of death. Rule of law is not an abstract concept. Until then,
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by Loads: 11:58pm On Mar 19, 2007
I am so sick and tired of how ordinary people are treated by our so called police officers.

What happenned to my junior brother. I faxed him an invitation letter and some documents like I do every year for his holiday in UK. while he was at the business centre police came and arrested everyone and they accused him of possessing fake documents even though they saw that we had thesame surname and they also saw the british fax number on the documents. My Brother actually spend the night at the station because they refused him calling anyone as they seized his phone and nobody knew he was arrested because he leaves in campus. To cut the long story short we had to pay N30,000 for an innocent 21 yrs old boys release. For doing absolutely nothing.

This is a curse, MAY GOD PURNISH ALL THOSE COURSING PAIN TO THE INNOCENT PEOPLE (theives, police and corrupt politicians) they will never use that money to do anything good in their lifes, that money will be the curse of their lifes.

The state of law makes me sick in mu beloved country. During my holiday in December I was almost stripped searched, the guy even checked my shoes. They will not stop thieves only innocent young men in nice cars. I was so glad I had no pounds on me.
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by naijacutee(f): 6:36am On Mar 20, 2007
I can hardly believe what I'm reading! What is this? Why won't they pay these people properly so they can stop disgracing themselves and others? That's it! OBJ should savour his remaining days. . .
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by lewa(m): 6:53am On Mar 20, 2007
Lewa laughing
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by 2old4that(m): 9:38am On Mar 20, 2007
They should be paid well, stop on-the-counter payment of salaries and be receiving thier salaries in banks like others. Its terrible how aggressive they can be whenever they nab an innocent fellow over what he did not commit. One should just try to avoid them.

This days, no difference between nigerian police and an armed robber.
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by Maneater1(f): 11:45am On Mar 20, 2007
During my Uni days i was once arrested along with about 10 other girls for going to a party. we left in a convoy of cars to attend a friends birthday party at victoria island and those police men at yaba stopped us and arrrested us (only the girls, they let the guys driving go). Our crime was we were not decently dressed (i.e we were dressed for a party) and we did take permission from the school authority to go to a party.

I cudnt beleieve my earrs when they said asked if we took permission to leave unilag to attend a party. they ended up extorting us big time. some girls were crying and talking about them raping us and no one would believe us. i'm sure the police made up to 20k from all of us that night.

After all the drama, we still went for the party. grin
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by naijacutee(f): 11:58am On Mar 20, 2007
I know. . . It really sucks. Once, I out with my boyfriend and we got pulled over. Why? Because the glass was tinted. We used like =N= 500 to "remove the tint" there and then. You should have seen us 'pricing' like we were buying meat in the market. angry He said =N= at first but we haggled the price down to =N=500.
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by 4Play(m): 12:03pm On Mar 20, 2007
In Enugu,about 3 years ago.A group of kids were arrested when coming back from catechism classes grin

I was once taken to the police station before for some crap reason.I was driving and was stopped by the Police ,they were checking for the usuall vehicle "papers".

I had everything(at least I thought),insurance,driving license,sales receipt,vehicle licence,ECMR,fire extinguisher.He even checked to see my engine number matched.Just when I thought I was free,he shouted "thank God".He said I had failed to sign my ECMR(bear in the mind that the IG publicly announced that we are no longer required to obtain ECMR).i ended up at the station where I paid the  ransom of 500 Naira

There was another incident where my mum reported to the Police that our Mai Guard stole our Sattelite decoders.The Police came and told my mum that her son will be arrested for the mai guard could not have gained access without inside help. ;DNothing came of it,but I just couldn't help laughing when I heard it grin

Some of the stories of what Nigerians go through in the hands of the Police can be downright humorous and some can be harrowing
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by 4Play(m): 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2007
naijacutee:

I know. . . It really sucks. Once, I out with my boyfriend and we got pulled over. Why? Because the glass was tinted. We used like =N= 500 to "remove the tint" there and then. You should have seen us 'pricing' like we were buying meat in the market. angry He said =N= at first but we haggled the price down to =N=500.

Why should he be driving a car with tinted glasses?That is a treasonable offence as far as the Police are concerned grin

My car in Nigeria was not tinted but because it was all black,a Policeman once told me that I should "sort" him cos it is hard to see inside my vehicle grin
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by webbo(m): 7:09pm On Mar 20, 2007
A nationwide urban legend has long suggested that extortion is the main business the Nigerian Police are into; They merely use the guise of protecting lives and property as a smokescreen to cover the real reason for the existence of the force in the country today. It is said that this is accepted in the highest corridors of police power and daily returns are expected from junior officers sent on checkpoint duty or patrol. Much like boarding house fagging where u get sent by a senior to buy grub without a startup capital and are expected to produce change kwa!
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by kaydee(m): 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2007
angry angry angry WTF! Those policemen,na only God go punish all of them, amen!
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by Glamourgal(f): 11:11pm On Mar 20, 2007
that is so wrong!!
they shd be out there catching the real criminals. angry
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by brownbaby(f): 2:12pm On Mar 21, 2007
Who will save this country fom those things in black lipsrsealed it is well.
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2007
Re: Arrested During A Game Of Pool by chaloo(m): 8:10am On Jun 04, 2007
i have visited nigeria few times, jobs etc. i am not of nigerian origin. i have seen the plight of people in the hands of the police. its is a disgrace. i sincerely hope that the new regime would do something to improve the situation. people in nigeria instead of leaving everything in the hands of god must stand up for their rights and raise their voice.

(1) (Reply)

Http://ng.supersport.mobi- Live Barclays Premier League Link / Cristiano Ronaldo Explains Why His Body Has no tatoo! With pictures / Didier Drogba Has Lost All His Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.