Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Change Of Career Path - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Change Of Career Path (1589 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Top 10 "Go To" Guys Of Career, Jobs/vacancies & Education Sections Of Nairaland / Which Is A Better Choice Of Career- Audit Or Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Career Path by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 27, 2010
hi IT professionals and human resource personnel in the house
i'm really confused
i just graduated from the university as a mechanical Engineer
but what i really want to do is go into the IT sector,
starting off with Systems Engineering, analysis and Networking then later
onto Software Engineering, Design And programming then
finally telecoms or maybe just retire to lecturing as God would guide me.

i really don't know how to change paths
do i go for a second degree
or certification
or maybe do my masters in Information technology
please i really need help on where to start on this quest to fulfill my passion and goals.

pls i need your honest advice on which is possible
or how to go about it.
thanks
Re: Change Of Career Path by Kx: 4:27pm On May 27, 2010
get an IT job,no matter how little while u focus on certifications
Re: Change Of Career Path by brainwave(m): 5:09pm On May 27, 2010
Kx:

get an IT job,no matter how little while u focus on certifications

@kingsleyinfo, I think kx's advice is a brilliant one. If IT is what you really want, try getting a job in that area not minding the 'salary' which may not be so encouraging at the onset. Since you have a focus and know where you're going to, you shouldn't be detered. At the same time, you'll be chasing up relevant IT certifications. ALL THE BEST smiley
Re: Change Of Career Path by mishooo(m): 5:29pm On May 27, 2010
Take all the earlier advice but if your problem lies in not having any IT knowledge, i think you can register in any computer center for 6 months and within that period, try to get some old computers to buy and use as your experimental/Lab equipment.  Dismantling and coupling personal computers like that on your own makes you very good (trust me). You should do friends and relations computers for free (for now) as well because you need the experience.

You may decide to go for your MSc later but experience and certification matters very much in IT. As much as i like your career path, i must tell you that you'll need to stick to either hardware/Networking or Software. You CANT be jack of all trades and be good at all. You can be sure those paths are really broad on their own and can be broken down into several child paths i.e .Net Programmer, Java Programmer, SAP programmer, Oracle/SQL Programmer ETC the mentioned ones can still be broken down to many sectors like .Net Programming - ADA, A#, C#, C++, F#, VB, ASP etc.

My point is just take your niche and be good at it. Wishing you the best in your endeavour.

NB: BTW, you are NOT really changing path as such as you'll need many things you were taught in your Engineering Fac. But DO NOT go for a second degree at all. its NOT worth it. You already have what it takes.
Re: Change Of Career Path by homebase(m): 5:53pm On May 27, 2010
Kingsleyinfo, you can move from where you are now to any field of your choice, all the advice given are ok.
You are a success.
Re: Change Of Career Path by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 28, 2010
thanks all
I'm a self starter simply put i thought myself everything i know in IT
i have been reading books, troubleshooting and configuring networks small time
I just feel like i'm ready to step into deep waters.
its good to know that my field of study in the university is really not an issue

Thanks for all your encouragement
its times like this that makes one believe that Nigeria can truely be great

I feel like i'm a success already
i'll keep everyone posted.
Re: Change Of Career Path by Devkant: 11:37am On May 31, 2010
I think online international executive mba is the best option.

online post graduation courses
Re: Change Of Career Path by scantee(m): 6:27pm On May 31, 2010
@last post
are u doing advertisement for your job? every where you will comment the same. lol
Re: Change Of Career Path by AjanleKoko: 7:54am On Jun 01, 2010
^^
Yeah, the guy is obviously selling an Oracle training. grin
Re: Change Of Career Path by manizu: 7:23pm On Jun 04, 2010
@Ajanlekoko
@scantee

i could train you guys if ur interested. Wat do u expect? its written all over my comments. The best training ever from the best u can get at an affordable prize.

Oracle Instructor
Re: Change Of Career Path by vinshyne: 4:13pm On Jun 21, 2010
Dear all
Kindly advise, i made a 3rd class in geology and currently doing a contract job for the past two years in admin/logistics
unit with a reputatable multinational company.I intend to study abroad to obtaina fresh B.sc or B.Eng or maybe continue
with my 3rd class B.sc and major in other certifications, like PMP and the likes.
Please advise cos am currently at a crossroad.
Re: Change Of Career Path by rockyeweka(m): 7:01pm On Jun 22, 2010
Are you a resident in the city of benin, and really want to make the best out of life. This is your opportunity to become what you want to be, by attending a one day training that will make you financially independent irrespective of who you are. Contact Achievers Hall,located at No 11 ugbague st, off mission road , b/city. Time:10:30am. Date: 29/06/2010. FEE: Free of charge. Contact Ogedegbe Rocky Obazee on 08182276797 when coming.
Re: Change Of Career Path by ceenu: 8:09pm On Jan 20, 2013
vinshyne: Dear all
Kindly advise, i made a 3rd class in geology and currently doing a contract job for the past two years in admin/logistics
unit with a reputatable multinational company.I intend to study abroad to obtaina fresh B.sc or B.Eng or maybe continue
with my 3rd class B.sc and major in other certifications, like PMP and the likes.
Please advise cos am currently at a crossroad.
You are presently working in logistic, so I think you should go for higher study in same field like MBA in Logistic or executive MBA for as admin.
Re: Change Of Career Path by chrisammy: 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2016
hi IT professionals and human resource personnel in the house
i'm really confused
i just graduated from the university as a mechanical Engineer
but what i really want to do is go into the IT sector,
starting off with Systems Engineering, analysis and Networking then later
onto Software Engineering, Design And programming then
finally telecoms or maybe just retire to lecturing as God would guide me.

i really don't know how to change paths
do i go for a second degree
or certification
or maybe do my masters in Information technology
please i really need help on where to start on this quest to fulfill my passion and goals.

pls i need your honest advice on which is possible
or how to go about it.
thanks
I graduated with cgpa of 3.48 (B.Ed Physics) but I love to lecture and that has been my passion.
My fellow nralanders. Please I have these few questions to ask:-
1. What are the chances of good academics excellence and recognision in physics Education and Industrial Physics, for someone that aspires been a lecturer
2. How possible is it to get scholarship in studying outside nigeria or inside nigerian university.
PLEASE!... I do need a candid advise that will bring me out of this confusion..

(1) (Reply)

Accredited Management Consultant Certificate / Degree In Computer Science Or Hnd In Computer Science / Vacancy Vacancy Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.