Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? (9176 Views)

Malice Among Ministers In The Church: What Should Be Done? / Match Making In Church ( What's Your Own View?) / " Go To A Bible-Believing Church" ...What Does It Mean?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Samsimple(m): 7:21am On May 27, 2018
When the topic of selling something in church is discussed, the most common accounts debated are those involving Jesus cleansing the temple.

In one instance, Jesus said,"Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers" (Mark 11:17 ).

How do these accounts apply to selling in today's churches?

First, the temple and today's local churches are two different contexts. In the Jewish temple, Jesus condemned the profit-making taking place over an activity that was to be a time of worship. Merchants sold animals for the required Jewish sacrifices and money-changers exchanged currency for the required temple tax. Rather than do these things as a service to the Jewish travelers arriving at the temple, it became a moneymaking business focused on profit. Jesus drove out those who sold and bought in the temple courts.

Second, the local church is the gathering of believers, not the building in which they meet. Though many people view the building as the church, this is not the biblical definition. Unlike the temple, a church building is not defiled or made unclean over buying and selling in the same way as the temple was.

Each church must determine what is appropriate for its congregation. While offering music, books, or other helpful Christian resources may be appropriate for a congregation, other items or ways of selling may cause concern among members or the local community. The goal must be to gather to honor God and to show His love to others above buying and selling.

few helpful guidelines a local church would likely wish to adopt could include:

1. No donations or purchases are required for those attending church services.
2. No high-pressure sales.
3. Selling must be in some way related to helping the mission of the church rather than simply making a profit.
4. Church leadership must approve items presented for sale during a worship service.
5. Items sold must conform to local, state, and national laws regarding sales.

A local congregation may choose other guidelines as well. For example, some churches refrain from signage in the auditorium regarding items for sale. Other churches will not present sales from the front area, referring all sales to the bulletin or lobby outside of the worship area. Each congregation should carefully consider how to best handle such concerns in a way that honors God and cares for the needs of the congregation best.

https://www.compellingtruth.org/selling-in-church.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Samsimple(m): 7:24am On May 27, 2018
Don't be late for church service today... have a nice day

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by tballeyy(m): 7:25am On May 27, 2018
What about selling of Nigeria Jersey in the church
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Samsimple(m): 7:28am On May 27, 2018
tballeyy:
What about selling of Nigeria Jersey in the church
not related to church activity only God will be a judge of that

2 Likes

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by spartan50(m): 7:32am On May 27, 2018
It's wrong... Period

1 Like

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 7:33am On May 27, 2018
We can’t do business in our fathers house again Shoroniyen

2 Likes

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 7:34am On May 27, 2018
We now have SmackDowns in the church. One pastor turned Batista just for deliverance grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Himmler: 7:37am On May 27, 2018
Make you use koboko go flog them commot like Jesus did

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by JasonScoolari: 7:39am On May 27, 2018
Topics meant to ridicule the Christian faith is always pushed to front page...

We're watching.
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by id4sho(m): 7:39am On May 27, 2018
Bad news for MOGs with business acumen ,
buy books for the week, months .
buy CD plates for the week, months.
Buy your Holy water, Annointing oil, and Miracle handkerchief today.
Don't forget to pay your tithe, seed faith, vow, offering and first fruit
Nothing like take this and that, why won't this MOGs be rich, building primary, secondary and tertiary education schools from proceeds .Private jets among host of other multi billion naira business's

RELIGION IS THE OPIUM FOR THE MASSES, ONCE YOU ARE HIGH .only GOD can rescue you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Rubbiish(m): 7:41am On May 27, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
We now have SmackDowns in the church. One pastor turned Batista just for deliverance grin grin
Lol

1 Like

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by kullozone(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2018
Buy your Holy water, Annointing oil, Miracle handkerchief and deliverance smack down today, in Miracles Chapel International.

Don't forget to pay your tithe, seed faith, vow, offering and first fruitsmiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by kaen1317: 7:43am On May 27, 2018
Churches these days don't care what the Bible says , they just want money

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Diso60090(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2018
Church na business you like believe if you like nor believe na you know is your thinking not mine is your money not mine

1 Like

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by koolcat: 7:47am On May 27, 2018
CHURCH ON ITS OWN IS A BUSINESS ENTERPRISE ALL READY, THOSE SELLING IN/AROUND D CHURCH ARE JES TRYING TO MODERNISE IT INTO A STANDARD MARKET.
Those wen carry church for head like gala, argue with ur keypads, by the way am not felling fine.
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by pol23: 7:47am On May 27, 2018
Religion isn't just a good way to go by.
Without religion you might probably not hate that guy or that woman.
Christianity in Nigeria preaches hates more than love.
Church in Nigeria will pray and fast when a rich member is sick,but won't noticed of a broke Nigga didn't attend the service for month.
When my mom became a deaconess many years ago,she cooked a lot of food hoping the church members will come and celebrate with her at home after service...yes only 2 guy came....every other chooses a rich guy house who was also ordained Elder that day despite that his house is farther....Churches in Nigeria will only add more to your problem as a broke guy...some families name are just more popular on pastor's tongues because they're richer.

Back to the question.

Churches always act like they are trying to generate funds for the good of the church which is the truth...depending on what you call the good of the church.
Goods of the church includes:
Pastors rolling in Rolls Royce.
Pastors living exclusive lifes.
Pastor funding the overseas vacations,but the will call it work of GOD.
In the past we've seen every big pastors in Nigeria bought private jet except Deeper life.
We've heard of pastors spending sleeky bitches buying them cars.
We've seen churches setting up school their average members couldn't attend.
The new trend Christian's are not seeing is the idolized of pastors name....I've been to MFM heard them pray to the God of Olukoya,redeem prayed to God of Adeboye,Winners prayed to God of Papa...it might seems cool,but Na so e dey start...Wetin happens to the name of Jesus...I have given you a name that's above all name,In Jesus name every knee shall bow....But Nigerians Christians are taking another turn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by SoNature(m): 7:48am On May 27, 2018
The Catholic Church keeps failing me in many areas including this one embarassed

The Catholic Church needs urgent reforms
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by kaybright44(m): 7:50am On May 27, 2018
A
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Samsimple(m): 7:50am On May 27, 2018
JasonScoolari:
Topics meant to ridicule the Christian faith is always pushed to front page...

We're watching.
how does this topic ridicule the christian faith...

emancipate urself from mental slavery only ourselves can free our minds

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by aking123(m): 7:51am On May 27, 2018
Personally, i think selling in church or any other worshipping place shouldn't be an issue but it shouldn't be done in such a way as to distract worshippers. If it distracts, then it should be prohibited.
Secondly, i think it should be done outside and a little distance away from the worshipping centre to avoid noise or any other form of distraction..

I heard someone saying something here about collecting this or dat. I want to say that no pastor (or prophet) can make me part with what I have, unless willingly given, if you like preach or prophesy the whole world I don't care. So as a christian don't criticize or judge, leave it for God. Just give if you are convinced to do so, or don't give if are not convinced, and stop making unnecessary noise to avoid the wrath of the unknown. I repeat no one will beat or flog you if you don't.

Finally, I love you all (christians, muslims, other) and sorry if i hurt you with my sincere words.

I am an Apostolic Church member, signing out.

1 Like

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 7:57am On May 27, 2018
buying and selling in any place of worship is completely wrong,its a place of worship not market.
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by ZombiePUNISHER: 7:57am On May 27, 2018
Pentecostal churches are selling Jesus at a discount

Just to buy private jets and build universities that only the rich can afford...

One man will come out of no where and open a church and call himself daddy G. O

Rubbish
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by Lexusgs430: 7:59am On May 27, 2018
Let them sell nah, you don't buy.......
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by YesNo(m): 7:59am On May 27, 2018
Is there a real church in Nigeria? Just a handful.
all I see is business empires enjoy tax-free money and quoting bible verses to back up their numerous atrocities.

If u ask a so called PASTOR this question, he will give you 100 bible quotations to prove you wrong and he fit even sell something give you too.

I don't care tho. it is their business.
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by id4sho(m): 7:59am On May 27, 2018
aking123:
Personally, i think selling in church or any other worshipping place shouldn't be an issue but it shouldn't be done in such a way as to distract worshippers. If it distracts, then it should be prohibited.
Secondly, i think it should be done outside and a little distance away from the worshipping centre to avoid noise or anyother form of distraction..

I heard someone saying something here about collecting disbor dat, i want to say that no pastor (or prophet) can make me part with what I have unless willingly given. So as a christian don't criticize or judge, leave it for God. Just give if u want to, or don't give if are not willing to, and stop making unnecessary noise.
I repeat no 1 will beat or flog you if you don't.
you are right, no one will beat or flog you but by the time they brain wash you especially when you submit ur self because of earthly problems. The kind of day light robbery /extortion you would experience ehh through self giving. Only JESUS will rescue you

1 Like

Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by ZombiePUNISHER: 7:59am On May 27, 2018
kullozone:
Buy your Holy water, Annointing oil, Miracle handkerchief and deliverance smack down today, in Miracles Chapel International.

Don't forget to pay your tithe, seed faith, vow, offering and first fruitsmiley

That's trademark of Pentecostal churches
It is driven by the quest to acquire wealth
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by lawrence35(m): 7:59am On May 27, 2018
Depends on whatyou are selling.

Start your ecommerce website, easy.!

https://www.nairaland.com/4505379/what-dropshiping-how-make-3500
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by calddon(m): 8:00am On May 27, 2018
You are wrong
Re: Selling In Church – What Does The Bible Say? by aking123(m): 8:00am On May 27, 2018
id4sho:
you are right, no one will beat or flog you but by the time they brain wash you especially when you submit ur self because of earthly problems. The kind of day light robbery /extortion you would experience ehh through self giving. Only JESUS will rescue you

But why would you even go to a place that you will be brainwashed in the first place. We should learn to practice religion with wisdom.
So many end time churches sighted!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, I Want To Become An Atheist / Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? / Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.