Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:02 AM

France President Grants Theafrican Migrant Who Climbed 4 Storey To Save A Child, - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / France President Grants Theafrican Migrant Who Climbed 4 Storey To Save A Child, (353 Views)

Massive Fire In 4-storey Hostel In Wellington: 6 Dead, 20 Injured / Multi-Storey Building Partially Collapses In Miami, Many Feared Dead (Pictures) / Israel Destroys 13-Storey Building In Gaza (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

France President Grants Theafrican Migrant Who Climbed 4 Storey To Save A Child, by chinonyinye: 11:44am On May 28, 2018
A Malian migrant who rescued a four-year-old child hanging from a balconyhas been made an honorary French citizen. MamoudouGassama, who had been living illegally in France, was dubbed a “real-life Spider-Man” after quickly scaling a building in Paris’ northern 18th district on Saturday. President Macron invited Mr Gassama to the Elysee Palace on Monday to thank him personally and honour him French citizenship. ‘Thank God, I saved the child’ Footage on social media shows the 22-year-old climb up the block of flats and has gone viral – with one post having been watched over seven million times. “I saw all these people shouting, and cars sounding their horns. I climbed up like that and, thank God, I saved the child,”Mr Gassama told reporters after the event.A video of Mamoudou Gassama’s spectacular rescue went viral on social media and has been viewed millions of times.With a crowd below cheeringhim on from the street, the migrant pulled himself from balcony to balcony at risk of life and limb, and managed to grab the four-year-old as a neighbour unsuccessfully tried to reach the boy from the nearest flat.President Emmanuel Macroninvited Mr Gassama to the Elysee Palace on Monday morning to personally thank him. During their filmed conversation, Mr Gassama said that he was trembling like a leaf after his courageous act.Afterwards, Mr Macron announced that he would be granted French citizenship and join the French fire brigade.Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo also lauded the 22-year-old’s heroism, and said she had called him to thank him in person.She hailed him as the “Spiderman of the 18th”, a reference to the Paris district where the rescue took place.“Congratulations to Mamoudou Gassama for his act of bravery that saved the life of a child,” Ms Hidalgo tweeted.“He explained to me that he had arrived from Mali a few months ago dreaming of building his life here.“I replied that his heroic gesture was an example for all citizens and that the City of Paris will obviously be keen to support him in his efforts to settle in France.”Hinting that he could expect a fast track to residency, government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux tweeted: “This huge act of bravery, faithful to the values of solidarity of our Republic, must open the doors to our national community.”A petition has been launchedonline.Rights group SOS Racisme said: “Mamoudou Gassama serves as a useful reminder to us that people without papers are human beings with…great bravery that many have shown in their perilous journey to Europe – bravery that they often continue to display here.”The drama took place on Saturday evening on a streetin the north of the French capital. Mr Gassama told journalists he had been in the vicinity when he saw a crowd gathered in front of the building.“I saw lots of people shouting and cars beeping. I saw that the child was going to fall from the balcony. I did it because it was a child,”BFM TV quoted him assaying.“I climbed… Thank God I saved him.”He added: “When I got the child, he was crying. I asked him where his mother was. He replied that she was at a party.”
copied from gossip mill naija
Re: France President Grants Theafrican Migrant Who Climbed 4 Storey To Save A Child, by chinonyinye: 11:50am On May 28, 2018
pictures

(1) (Reply)

114 - Year Old South African World Oldest Man / Man, 79, Sentenced To 90 Days Of House Arrest In 5-year-old Girl's Rape / United Nations Running Out Of Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.