Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC (1658 Views)

Corps Member Recreates Photo Of Her Mom Taken During NYSC Program 32 Years Ago / Certificates Acquired During NYSC / 10 Ways Corpers Ruin Their Lives During NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by drgbaks(f): 2:22pm On May 28, 2018
I was sorely tempted to name this post, "How to make a N100,000 during NYSC" but that would have been a click-bait title. Although in all fairness that's majorly what this post is about.

I’m aware that there has been a lot of campaign for the government to get rid of the NYSC programme but while that hasn't happened yet, I felt, it would be a good idea to share my successful NYSC experience for the benefit of younger vets out there. Some who are yet to serve and others undergoing the experience now.

I understand that success means various things to different people but for this post, I'll be referring to success here in mostly monetary terms.

I was drafted off to serve my country, Nigeria, in 2013 after 6 years and some months of studying veterinary medicine at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. Without meaning to sound cheeky, this is how I made 100,000 naira while serving without the N19,800 allowee:

1. Read "The Richest Man in Babylon"

I was once asked to mention the top ten books that have changed my life and after the Bible, my next is "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. I was recommended this book by a friend of mine who had read it during her service year and it had helped her save a ton of money. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it before going to Bayelsa but imagine my joy when I found it on one of the booksellers stands in Camp. I hurriedly got a copy for 500 naira and put my service number details on it. I read it during camp and I encourage every vet to do so, better still before service year. It's a great book that teaches fundamental principles of money, saving and investing in a parable sort of way. IT LITERALITY CHANGED MY LIFE and will do yours once you read it and APPLY what you read like I did.

It changed my mentality about making and keeping money and this mental change helped me to save a lot of money during NYSC.

2. Invest in Your First Medicine Kit: Be Prepared for Opportunities

A good friend and classmate of mine, Dr. Wole Adekola, advised me to invest in a few veterinary medical supplies to start ambulatory services with. So, after the 3 weeks in camp, I took out 5000 naira from my allowee and armed with the essential medical drug list he gave me I went to get those supplies. That was one of the best decisions I made in service year. It wasn’t much, just barely filling a duffel bag, but it gave me confidence as a new doctor. Two, these same drugs were being sold for more than thrice the prices in Bayelsa. So that was a big bargain as well. (I got the medical supplies from Ibadan).

So, this is my next tip, if you are going to serve far away or in a relatively expensive area, try to get your medical supplies handy (even if you do not think you will practise-you can never say as I will explain in my next point).

READ THE REMAINING TIPS HERE

https://www.drgbaksthevet.com/2018/05/24/how-to-succeed-as-a-vet-during-nysc/

Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by Wealthandjobs: 2:52pm On May 28, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks your pretty face is reducing the reading concentration span.
I am very proud of your resourcefulness. Well done

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by drgbaks(f): 3:09pm On May 28, 2018
Wealthandjobs:
Am I the only one who thinks your pretty face is reducing the reading concentration span.
I am very proud of your resourcefulness. Well done

grin Thanks for the compliment. My pictures did come later on though. I was hoping most would have read the article before getting to the photos. wink
Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by Wealthandjobs: 3:17pm On May 28, 2018
drgbaks:

grin Thanks for the compliment. My pictures did come later on though. I was hoping most would have read the article before getting to the photos. wink
You are welcome dearie even though it is not a compliment it's stating the fact.
Okay I get it. I came to the thread late. It's better late than never though.
I can see from your bio that you have relocated. I reckon you must have been posted to the capital or Brass.So what became of your clients and "patient dogs" after you left The Glory Land?
Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by drgbaks(f): 3:39pm On May 28, 2018
Wealthandjobs:

You are welcome dearie even though it is not a compliment it's stating the fact.
Okay I get it. I came to the thread late. It's better late than never though.
I can see from your bio that you have relocated. I reckon you must have been posted to the capital or Brass.So what became of your clients and "patient dogs" after you left The Glory Land?

Vets posted to serve in Bayelsa are usually posted to the State Capital, Yenagoa for their PPA. That was the case with me as well. My clients were handed over to new corp members who came to serve thereafter and others to senior colleagues.
Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by Wealthandjobs: 3:47pm On May 28, 2018
drgbaks:

Vets posted to serve in Bayelsa are usually posted to the State Capital, Yenagoa for their PPA. That was the case with me as well. My clients were handed over to new corp members who came to serve thereafter and others to senior colleagues.
You should be in touch with them or create an app that will enable them to still get access.
Have you any new and emerging opportunities for vets?
Re: How To Succeed As A Vet During NYSC by docyomex(m): 8:14pm On Dec 18, 2021
drgbaks:
I was sorely tempted to name this post, "How to make a N100,000 during NYSC" but that would have been a click-bait title. Although in all fairness that's majorly what this post is about.

I’m aware that there has been a lot of campaign for the government to get rid of the NYSC programme but while that hasn't happened yet, I felt, it would be a good idea to share my successful NYSC experience for the benefit of younger vets out there. Some who are yet to serve and others undergoing the experience now.

I understand that success means various things to different people but for this post, I'll be referring to success here in mostly monetary terms.

I was drafted off to serve my country, Nigeria, in 2013 after 6 years and some months of studying veterinary medicine at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. Without meaning to sound cheeky, this is how I made 100,000 naira while serving without the N19,800 allowee:

1. Read "The Richest Man in Babylon"

I was once asked to mention the top ten books that have changed my life and after the Bible, my next is "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. I was recommended this book by a friend of mine who had read it during her service year and it had helped her save a ton of money. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it before going to Bayelsa but imagine my joy when I found it on one of the booksellers stands in Camp. I hurriedly got a copy for 500 naira and put my service number details on it. I read it during camp and I encourage every vet to do so, better still before service year. It's a great book that teaches fundamental principles of money, saving and investing in a parable sort of way. IT LITERALITY CHANGED MY LIFE and will do yours once you read it and APPLY what you read like I did.

It changed my mentality about making and keeping money and this mental change helped me to save a lot of money during NYSC.

2. Invest in Your First Medicine Kit: Be Prepared for Opportunities

A good friend and classmate of mine, Dr. Wole Adekola, advised me to invest in a few veterinary medical supplies to start ambulatory services with. So, after the 3 weeks in camp, I took out 5000 naira from my allowee and armed with the essential medical drug list he gave me I went to get those supplies. That was one of the best decisions I made in service year. It wasn’t much, just barely filling a duffel bag, but it gave me confidence as a new doctor. Two, these same drugs were being sold for more than thrice the prices in Bayelsa. So that was a big bargain as well. (I got the medical supplies from Ibadan).

So, this is my next tip, if you are going to serve far away or in a relatively expensive area, try to get your medical supplies handy (even if you do not think you will practise-you can never say as I will explain in my next point).

READ THE REMAINING TIPS HERE

https://www.drgbaksthevet.com/2018/05/24/how-to-succeed-as-a-vet-during-nysc/

the website is down
please can I get a copy

(1) (Reply)

The BEAUTY Of Plateau State Orientation Camp MANGU! Five Star Hotel Or What??? / Access Bank Deducting Fraudulent Charges From Corpers Accounts Again. / NYSC In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.