Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,642 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (8458 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by SLIGHT(m): 7:49am On May 28, 2010
I was just wondering what was used to make food taste (apart from salt of course) before the advent of maggi and other western spices.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by ayo84(m): 11:06am On May 28, 2010
they had local spices and stuff, some really natural stuff,and the food tasted nice, there are some local creme restaurants in naija, where they only use local spices to cook their meals.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by omoelenia: 9:51pm On May 28, 2010
Iru, ogiri, dawadawa and other things. Maggi actually incorporates some of the essence of iru.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by SLIGHT(m): 11:17pm On May 28, 2010
Thanks guys, it seem most women now dnt use local spicing but prefer maggi, curry, thyme, cinammon exc
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by nat138: 3:27pm On May 30, 2010
@ SLIGHT
Well that is cos most en don't like the local spices
where I come from it is believed that any soup that does not have iru or dawadawa
in it is lacking a vital ingredient and till date in my house, we put Iru in every soup
even the ones that are not from my place like edikankong and it actually comes out nice.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by jovi: 10:46pm On May 30, 2010
theres somethingcalled ehuru in Igbo, nice also in stews,

Quick question, in market 2 types of iru, a light version and 1darker version, can someone explain when and how to use them?, do u blend or just throw into the soup?
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by nat138: 11:36am On May 31, 2010
@ Jovi,
Before using Iru is advisable to blend it smooth because if you donot blend it, it appears in the soup just the way it looks when you buy it from the market and that is not appealing to most people. Well for the colour variations, I just use anyone available, I guess it has different colours depending on where it is processed because I know my people use the darker one why most Igbos use the lighter one but then I guess the colour variation is not an issue.

2 Likes

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by pocketndry: 7:41am On Jan 02, 2011
what is iru?
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Remii(m): 7:48am On Jan 02, 2011
pocketndry:

what is iru?

Iru are fermented locust beans.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by InkedNerd(f): 11:23am On Jan 02, 2011
ayo84:

they had local spices and stuff, some really natural stuff,and the food tasted nice, there are some local creme restaurants in naija, where they only use local spices to cook their meals.

What do you mean by local creme restaurants?

omoelenia:

Iru, ogiri, dawadawa and other things. Maggi actually incorporates some of the essence of iru.

At my house, we still use those spices. In fact, we have special area in the house were we keep them cheesy.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by pocketndry: 12:00pm On Jan 02, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

What do you mean by local creme restaurants?

At my house, we still use those spices. In fact, we have special area in the house were we keep them cheesy.

Will this iru and dawadawa be in african stores? I know there is ogiri there.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by InkedNerd(f): 2:33pm On Jan 02, 2011
pocketndry:

I'm not sure about the dawadawa but I know you can buy some of the other spices from some African stores. I don't know any of these stores though because my mom is the one who shops there. Also, she brings spices with her when she comes back from Nigeria so we've got enough to last us a while.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by nat138: 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2011
pocketndry:

Ogiri is the same thing as dawadawa and Iru, I think Ogiri is the Ibo name, Iru - Yoruba and Dawadawa - Hausa
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by armyofone(m): 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2011
dawadawa is more drier than the rest. ogiri and iru is delish delight cheesy in okro soup.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by bigben3: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2011
iru,ogiri,,
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by maurchy: 11:50am On Jan 05, 2011
i jst kno of ogiri, and of cos salt.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by orgasm(m): 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2011
we had and still have ogi and ugbore. They make soup taste great with sweet aroma.Is usually stored above the fire place. My mum will always say any woman who can not cook a sweet pot of soup without maggi and it likes,is not well trianed and not a good cook.But
these days our young women and gurls have refused to learn from their mothers. They abuse ur soup and stew with many cubes of maggi, knoor,royco etc to make it sweet by force. They end up making soup and stew with sharp salty taste and ofcourse running stomach.Lol!
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by DoubleN(m): 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2011
Ogiri can smell!!!! undecided
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by omogidi234(m): 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2011
NO comments

Best Regards
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 05, 2011
They produce Ogiri in my neighboring town in Ijebu Imushin, Ogun State, even if you go to Imushin Market at Idin eshin in Ijebu Imushin you will find Ogiri. Ogiri is a flavoring made of fermented oil seeds, such as sesame seeds or egusi seeds. The process and product are similar to iru or douchi, but Ogiri is the best of them all.

They are very good better than Maggi.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by callme2: 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2011
for me i think is

ONIONS

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by legba1(m): 1:02pm On Jan 05, 2011
H&L broker:you are dem rite.ogiriis wat i grew up to know as theideal flavouring .iru is also good but betta when blended.those are natural spices and have no chemical wahala.they are stil much available now and pple who know better stil use them.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by daduke2k(m): 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
only 4 thoz who knw. I think diz wuld be a gud help 2 erring 2be wives WHO WANT 2 LEARN.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by kluv2(m): 1:22pm On Jan 05, 2011
there is also ISIGUN which is normally harvested from the soil.they normally ground it like pepper and it tastes nice
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by nellaluv(f): 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2011
Curry leaf, nchanwu or scent leaf, ede ori , opei, ogiri(just so u ll know yoruba ogiri is very different from the igbos), plus some other local spices i can't readily remember their names right now.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 05, 2011
SLIGHT:

Thanks guys, it seem most women now dnt use local spicing but prefer maggi, curry, thyme, cinammon exc  
Cooking is an art and the best of cooking artists use a variety of herbs and spices. The bolded aren't bad to use and you'd be amazed at the the result when western/asian spices are properly combined with our local herbs and spices.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 05, 2011
Sugar,
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by olumyde5(m): 1:31pm On Jan 05, 2011
iru(locust beans) kaun(pottash) not a very good cook though  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by haleonic: 1:45pm On Jan 05, 2011
Our local spices are still the best and taste better
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by mansmith(m): 1:52pm On Jan 05, 2011
ogiri is a delight especially in bitter leaf soup.but if you add it too much u are likely to pass heavy gas out from ur backyard
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by holydante(m): 1:56pm On Jan 05, 2011
nellaluv:

Curry leaf, nchanwu or scent leaf, ede ori , opei, ogiri(just so u ll know yoruba ogiri is very different from the igbos), plus some other local spices i can't readily remember their names right now.
i used to remeber that okpei, very black with a wicked aroma cheesy, but the soup sure tastes nice those days and it does things to ones tummy and at the end wicked gases ejected from the backside.

Surprisingly, am yet to see it in any friends kitchen in lasgidi

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Fried Rice Vs Jollof Rice / Palm Kernel Oil For Hair Growth / Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.